The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

1171819202123»

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @GoldenGun, I perfectly understand. At the very least, with so few participating, I don't think there's anything wrong with people dropping in to comment on the past films they've seen even while we're onto another one. That's what this is about, anyway: discussion and celebration of film, no matter the timeframe. So if you do watch any of the past films and have things to say, by all means to do. Nothing wrong with having a number of conversations going on here.

Thanks Brady, I’ll keep that in mind ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Next movie is on Youtube, though. Supercop 3. I will try to watch that.

Sorry, Police Story 3 Supercop seems to be the title. Is it up now or what? I have it bookmarked, but not really looking forward to it. (Sorry, @thelivingroyale , maybe I will be pleasantly surprised?)
    I'm far behind on this thread now. Will try to catch up with some of the titles eventually!
    Just watched Police Story 3: Supercop- I like the title sequence, and there is some great stuntwork at the end. Other than that, not my thing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just wanted to make a brief but straightforward announcement here.

One of the outcomes I expected for this group was that, due to members' schedules and commitments, we'd see an ever decreasing amount of participation and discussion here over time. This has happened, and I've been as much a victim as anyone in the past few months. Which is why I've made the call to put this thread on hold, to give it a breather, and to see if a time comes when it gets more participants and holds more traction. Because it doesn't feel right to let weeks go by with these movies up for discussion with no discussion actually going on.

This group was quite a new thing for me too, as I don't really watch movies in this way and don't honestly prefer this book club styled way of discussing them. My tastes can be very particular at times and so I need to be truly invested in the idea of a film to watch it; if I don't feel motivated or interested in seeing something, it's very hard for me to go to the effort of finding and watching it, especially with other times in my schedule at particular moments. This group oftentimes made it difficult to find certain films as well, for their obscurity or native origin and language, and that was another hoop that was difficult to jump at many times.

I imagine that many who initially signed on for this group, who are no less in love with films or less interested in seeing more of them, like to watch films the way I do. Picking and choosing what you want to see and on your own schedule. Perhaps it was odd for me to then lead this group given my particular pattern of behavior with movies and how I like to watch them, but at the time I thought it would be an interesting experiment. For now I'm going to try to watch the films that I have on my own list collecting dust, and leave the selected films up in this thread if anyone wants to pursue them on their own as well, because there are some great ones. But at the moment the format and thread these films were contained inside doesn't feel sustainable or timely at this particular moment.

I of course thank everyone who signed up, and more so those who stayed to try and give this thread more breath than it ever could've otherwise. If the thread returns another day, great, and if it doesn't, that's fine too. It was only intended as a way to connect like minded folks and to offer a more sane escape from waiting for a Bond film than posting in a cyclical and hollow production thread. In that aim, I think it succeeded, even if it failed in the larger scheme.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Perhaps in the summer when everyone’s got a bit more time
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It was only intended as a way to connect like minded folks and to offer a more sane escape from waiting for a Bond film than posting in a cyclical and hollow production thread.

Oh, yes! I cannot stand all the discussion in that thread. I only go in there to keep on the current page so I don't have to sift through 4,000 pages when actual news happens.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Perhaps in the summer when everyone’s got a bit more time
    @JamesBondKenya, I'm open to a future for it, if participation warrants it and we find a better way to approach it. Maybe extending the time to watch/discuss a film could be extended a week or so?

Or maybe, as I said, people are like me and don't function well in groups where you are demanded to watch something instead of pursuing what interests you at the time. That has always been a big issue with these things as far as my personal traits are concerned.
    A fair decision, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Finding time and/or being in mood to watch films can be difficult (it has for me, at least), but the idea of a book club styled thread for movies, is a great one!

I think it's easy to fall into something similar in a book club, also. One day you read fifty pages of a book, another day ten, and sometimes it goes days between each time you are able to sit down and read. In any case, there is a lot of interesting titles in this thread, and I'm sure looking forward to watch many of them.
    @Torgeirtrap, I can follow this book club styled format at the start of a particular endeavor, but as time goes on I almost always get bogged down by the process of it all as I just don't work in this way very well. I was involved in both a movie and book Bondathon in the last couple years, for instance, and neither suited me. The format of each thread demanded that I watch a Bond film each week while reviewing it and to read a Bond book every two weeks while reviewing it, respectively. Each "club" started off well for me, as I was energized and enthused, but for both groups I was always writing heaps of analysis for the books and films and over time the deadlines and format of the Bondathons became a burden and made what should've been fun feel like a chore.

I always end up going my own way in the end and following my own process, as my pace is always best in comparison to jamming myself inside one that doesn't fit me. This thread was the third try I had at this, and it ended as the others did. Finally learned my lesson.
    When taking part in this kind of thing, I don't particularly like to write horribly lengthy reviews.
    When taking part in this kind of thing, I don't particularly like to write horribly lengthy reviews.
    Yeah, I can't be like that, but I wouldn't want to be in this case either. If I have a lot to say, I have a lot to say. Movies have always been one of those things that gets me going, and I could talk for ages about them.

I always got frustrated by teachers who wanted me to turn in less work to them, something I never understood. If the point of school is thinking about something and developing ideas through assignments, why criticize those who actually do that and more? If they were bothered with grading longer papers they should've chosen another career.
    Yeah, I can't be like that, but I wouldn't want to be in this case either. If I have a lot to say, I have a lot to say. Movies have always been one of those things that gets me going, and I could talk for ages about them.

I always got frustrated by teachers who wanted me to turn in less work to them, something I never understood. If the point of school is thinking about something and developing ideas through assignments, why criticize those who actually do that and more? If they were bothered with grading longer papers they should've chosen another career.

You know, you're right. It's funny that I should say something on the subject about not writing lengthy reviews - says a man who writes a 45 page paper on one set of a film series.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I always end up going my own way in the end and following my own process, as my pace is always best in comparison to jamming myself inside one that doesn't fit me. This thread was the third try I had at this, and it ended as the others did. Finally learned my lesson.
    This is more or less what happened to me as well with this thread. It wasn't a matter of time so much as of discipline. I'm not used to digressing much from my personal interests in film. The temptation to check out a certain film that piques my curiosity is too strong to overcome, and that film usually leads to another, and another.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,294
    @Torgeirtrap, I can follow this book club styled format at the start of a particular endeavor, but as time goes on I almost always get bogged down by the process of it all as I just don't work in this way very well. I was involved in both a movie and book Bondathon in the last couple years, for instance, and neither suited me. The format of each thread demanded that I watch a Bond film each week while reviewing it and to read a Bond book every two weeks while reviewing it, respectively. Each "club" started off well for me, as I was energized and enthused, but for both groups I was always writing heaps of analysis for the books and films and over time the deadlines and format of the Bondathons became a burden and made what should've been fun feel like a chore.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Yes, it can be very easy for things like this to become a chore, especially when everyone's taste in movies (Bond aside, obviously) can be so very different, and you're following a time frame, as well.

If only there were a different way of doing a thread like this. I guess with everyone having an interest in Bond, a spy film related movie club could work - but again, there's the availability of each film, the time frame, etc.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This is more or less what happened to me as well with this thread. It wasn't a matter of time so much as of discipline. I'm not used to digressing much from my personal interests in film. The temptation to check out a certain film that piques my curiosity is too strong to overcome, and that film usually leads to another, and another.
    @mattjoes, discipline was a big factor for me too. As noted above, I can find it hard to bend myself backwards to fit a schedule and watch a sequence of films with other things on my mind. Because I'm not just watching other films outside that, I'm writing and drawing, reading, and on and on. It becomes a lot to take on.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Yes, it can be very easy for things like this to become a chore, especially when everyone's taste in movies (Bond aside, obviously) can be so very different, and you're following a time frame, as well.

If only there were a different way of doing a thread like this. I guess with everyone having an interest in Bond, a spy film related movie club could work - but again, there's the availability of each film, the time frame, etc.
    @Torgeirtrap, it is hard to think up a sensible way to do this. Because even taking the spy genre as an example, there's clear differences in the sub-genres like spoofs, gritty thrillers and just plain escapist films that not everyone will like and that are very unique from the rest.

For a film group I think one of the only ways to get a load of films everyone wants to see if to get everyone to sort of vote on them for a majority decision, and use the most picked films as those selected for viewing. But that still leaves the minority who didn't want to watch a particular film, who won't be as interested in seeing it. With a unanimous decision likely impossible, however, I don't see another way of doing it.

I think threads where a particular film or series is up for discussion are the best ones, as those threads are meant for fans who have already watched a particular movie or set of movies and discussion begins immediately. All the time in the world is given to a movie in those kinds of threads, as the thread is only about one topic, and spoilers aren't an issue as those posting would've already seen it. That's how the Star Wars, Star Trek and other threads have worked.

Movie clubs are too labored by other factors that make them harder to pull off, as focus is constantly switching to other films, a deadline is present to see the movies and not everyone participating will have interest in seeing everything. Subjectivity may just kill it and make it impossible for a sustained group. The only groups that have worked in this style are the book and novel Bondathons, but that is because everyone involved was a Bond fan and so it was obviously highly suited to this forum and its members.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,294
    All good points, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. The mention of spy films as a (possible) genre for a movie club, was to link the idea close enough to Bond, while still being broad enough to include a great variety of films and sub-genres. The issues about time, interest for each movie, etc. would still be the same, of course.

I do like the thread as an experiment, though. A different thread might come along sometime, that give the opportunity to do something similar.
    I just watched Knife in the Water. It was wonderful. I also purchased Dark Blue World because I couldn't find a version with English subtitles. I'll watch that when it gets here.
    Sad news: Italian film actress Monica Vitti has died. I read the headline and her name sounded so familiar. I was sure I heard it before. I looked up her filmography and sure enough: my exposure to her was right here on this forum in this thread with 1960's L'Avventura. Rest in peace to the Queen of Italian Cinema.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad news: Italian film actress Monica Vitti has died. I read the headline and her name sounded so familiar. I was sure I heard it before. I looked up her filmography and sure enough: my exposure to her was right here on this forum in this thread with 1960's L'Avventura. Rest in peace to the Queen of Italian Cinema.

Yes, we've mentioned it on the Tributes Thread too. Bond/spy fans here may know her from the 1966 spy film Modesty Blaise where she played the eponymous character. I plan to watch my DVD of the film in her honour.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    There's a Twitter watchalong of Modesty Blaise tonight I believe - 7:15 UK time, follow #COVIDEOMon.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    There's a Twitter watchalong of Modesty Blaise tonight I believe - 7:15 UK time, follow #COVIDEOMon.

That sounds like it could be fun. Will try and join in. :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Thanks for mentioning that. I remember L'avventura was the film I proposed after it proved difficult to easily access an English-subtitled version of La notte, also featuring Monica Vitti.

In fact both films are part of Michelangelo Antonioni's Trilogy on modernity and its discontents, together with L'eclisse. The latter of which I revisited when I heard of Monica Vitti's passing, since she also stars in that one next to Alain Delon.

She was my favourite actress. I'm glad I was able to introduce some other movie fans to her work.
    Now that you re back with a vengeance, like a loved season, Brady-would you like to start this up again? There are some lessons learned from last time. Such as:people don t commit too hard. Loosen it up a bit, perhaps?
    @Thunderfinger, in a perfect world it would be nice to start it up again, but from my end it just wouldn't be possible. I wouldn't say I'm back with a vengeance, it's just that for a little while life has given me enough space in my day-to-day life to post on here a dozen or so times a week, and that's about it. But within time, I'll be going back to my much more infrequent posting schedule, it's just a matter of when. I just don't have the ability to be here as presently as I used to be, due to being away from home and often away from any wi-fi for most of my weeks, so at the very least if there was interest in it starting up I'd just hand the reigns to someone else who is a regular poster on here with a greater ability to run it than I'd be able to. There'd be chunks of the week and days upon days where I'd not even be able to check in on how things were running, or write up any responses of my own, which would be disappointing.

I wouldn't have the time and energy to be able to commit to it in the way it would deserve to be committed to, and I also don't wish to relive the old frustrations of people trying and being unable to find certain films, or people being unable to engage in discussions due to dropping off week to week because we never know how busy we'll be week to week. This is not an easy format to juggle, and it's hard to make a club out of it, as it not only demands committing to a schedule while we all have our own lives, but on top of that we've added to it the necessity of being able to find the movies and carve out time to watch them and think and write about them in a manner that is a bit of an uphill battle long term.
    Totally understandable.