The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

Comments

• Thank you, @PropertyOfALady, I try :D
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    We don't use that acronym, under any circumstances. I'll turn this thread straight around.

I am heartily sorry for having offended thee.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We don't use that acronym, under any circumstances. I'll turn this thread straight around.

I appreciate the apology. To clarify, the only acronym of that kind that is permitted here under any conditions is "ROFL-copter" or "ROFL-copters." The youths I know (and yes, I'm aware I'm technically a youth too) told me that a "ROFL-copter" occurs when one laughs heartily at what someone says to a degree that seems to surpass even "laughing out loud." Plus, I simply like the imagery of a military helicopter with "ROFL" painted on it shooting laughing gas at people that makes them hysterical.

I appreciate the apology. To clarify, the only acronym of that kind that is permitted here under any conditions is "ROFL-copter" or "ROFL-copters." The youths I know (and yes, I'm aware I'm technically a youth too) told me that a "ROFL-copter" occurs when one laughs heartily at what someone says to a degree that seems to surpass even "laughing out loud." Plus, I simply like the imagery of a military helicopter with "ROFL" painted on it shooting laughing gas at people that makes them hysterical.

Damn you, Brady. You just made me do it again, but now I can't use the acronym of what I just did. So..... ROFLCOPTER?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,721
    Birdleson wrote: »
    visceral
    It's okay. I'm glad it had a happy ending and that she stood up to him at the end. It's just something that's very hard for me to watch is domestic violence. No relative should slap another relative around like they're bales of hay. I get that it happens, but it's just not right.

Well, I don't look to film, as an art form, to make me feel good. Some of the greatest art is painful. The film wasn't endorsing such behavior, it was telling a hard story. One of the main reasons that this film became such a social phenomena in New Zealand is that it dealt so starkly and honestly with the problems confronting the poor Maori population in the cities.

Agreed @Birdleson - it is a milestone of New Zealand cinema. It's filmed in the city I live in - and the opening shot says it all. Here's the image of New Zealand that is portrayed to the world - pull back - and here is the reality for many in the country's largest city. The urbanisation of the Maori population, particularly from the 60s onwards had created a cultural schism. It is a brutal, unflinching but very important film in New Zealand - it made such an impact here and provoked analysis and discussion about domestic violence, alcoholism, generational abuse, cultural identity and the the family unit.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Damn you, Brady. You just made me do it again, but now I can't use the acronym of what I just did. So..... ROFLCOPTER?
    There you are. You're a fast learner.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    visceral
    It's okay. I'm glad it had a happy ending and that she stood up to him at the end. It's just something that's very hard for me to watch is domestic violence. No relative should slap another relative around like they're bales of hay. I get that it happens, but it's just not right.

Well, I don't look to film, as an art form, to make me feel good. Some of the greatest art is painful. The film wasn't endorsing such behavior, it was telling a hard story. One of the main reasons that this film became such a social phenomena in New Zealand is that it dealt so starkly and honestly with the problems confronting the poor Maori population in the cities.

Agreed @Birdleson - it is a milestone of New Zealand cinema. It's filmed in the city I live in - and the opening shot says it all. Here's the image of New Zealand that is portrayed to the world - pull back - and here is the reality for many in the country's largest city. The urbanisation of the Maori population, particularly from the 60s onwards had created a cultural schism. It is a brutal, unflinching but very important film in New Zealand - it made such an impact here and provoked analysis and discussion about domestic violence, alcoholism, generational abuse, cultural identity and the the family unit.

What caused them to want Tamahori? As far as I can tell, Bond and this don't have much in common.
    I also don't think it was just once were Warriors. By the time of DAD tamahori had also directed The Edge, Mullholland Falls and Along Came A Spider. While none of them were great they were large box office releases with stars and all thrillers with elements of action. I also think they were looking for that slightly arty edge.

Then again look at Marc Foster - there wasn't anything before QOS that remotely suggested he was a Bond director. Stranger than fiction and Finding never land? Fine films - but scarcely a Bond audition reel. Funnily enough after he did QOS he has done more action films - World War Z and Machine Gun Preacher.
    These are my favourite bits of Death Wish 3. I even made GIFs. giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

And I love how many cars explode without provocation. This movie is pure 80s cheesiness at its best.

Did I mention I love this guy's haircut?
    yIZD8F.jpg

GUzyFY.jpg

But quite possibly the best part is this:

When the gang pushes the car down the hill, there is clearly a cable attached to it. =))

In short, a 5* film for me. So bad it's just too hard not to love!
    Oh that's Domino's brother from NSNA
    Did you watch it, @Major_Boothroyd, or were you just commenting? I wonder if Thundy's watched it. He's normally on top of this thread.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Death Wish 3 is just one of those movies that change a series. My introduction to the Death Wish Series was a few years back and there was an all day marathon playing them. I watched them all from 1 all the way to 5 and smack dab in the middle was Death Wish 3. My favorite of the series. After Death Wish 2 which I feel was probably the most intense and graphic with it's portrayal of realistic violence, Death Wish 3 decided to take things in a different Direction. Set in New York but entirely filmed in London. Death Wish 3 sets the stage for a larger than life cartoon that's bound to entertain fans of shlocky action music.

By Death Wish 3, Paul Kersey has nothing left to lose so the New York Police unleash him to clean up the streets. It's got this absurdness that makes it so watchable and fun. Not to mention is sprinkled strange and interesting characters. It even features actors and actresses before they were famous. like Alex Winter of Bill and Ted fame, Marina Sirtis of Star Trek: The Next Generation fame. It's even got some Bond alum in it. Gavan O'Herlihy who played Jack Petachi in Never Say Never Again. as well as Manning Redwood who was in both Never Say Never Again and A View To A Kill.

Death Wish 3 isn't to be considered high art but my gosh it is just so fun to watch for moments of unintentional comedy. I hope you all love the movie as much as I did and I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you think.

@PropertyOfALady, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,733
    Bronson's loose again in Death Wish II

He's back in New York bringing justice to the streets...

Most criminals answer to the law. The world's most savage executioner must answer to Bronson.

It's 1984 and Bronson's never been hotter!

No judge. No jury. No appeals. No deals.

Love the taglines of Bronson's films!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 16,331
    And one more thing to add. While not related to the film, there was a Commodore 64 game based on the movie and had a pretty sweet theme song. This is a remix of that song. But it does contain spoilers to the movie so you may want to wait before you watch. just a heads up.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I haven t watched it yet, and not sure if I have seen it before or not. I found it on Youtube, so will give it a watch this weekend.
    @PropertyOfALady - I watched it when I was a kid. It's a hilariously blood thirsty mid-80s actioner but somehow not as insane as its direct sequel.

And @Murdock - I remember that game too! I played it on the Spectrum 48k back in the day. 85 really was the sweet spot for Speccy games.
    Martin Belsam also played Detective Milton Arbogast in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.
    Martin Belsam was also in The Anderson Tapes with Sean Connery and a young Christopher Walken.
    Martin Balsam! He also played one of the gang in the original THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123! Atchoo!!
    I hate to admit but I actually paid to see this when it came out. Those were some of the movies we'd see back in the day as Bronson was still a cool action hero along with Chuck Norris. It didn't matter he was probably 60 or older at the time.

It was kind of like Home Alone before that came out with all the traps he set up. The one I remember most was Bronson putting down a mat or board filled with nails or spikes under a window so when one of the baddies crawled in the window he would step on it and it was funny when you heard the guy howl.
    The Home Alone connection struck me as well.
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Martin Balsam! He also played one of the gang in the original THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123! Atchoo!!

Gesundheit!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Gesundheit!

Great end to a great movie
    Never seen it.
    Just watched it. What a disgrace, @Murdock !

But what to expect from a Brosnan fan? Bottom three on this thread so far.
    Thundy no like Bronson.
    Just watched it. What a disgrace, @Murdock !

But what to expect from a Brosnan fan? Bottom three on this thread so far.

Not a fan I take it? :P
    I have seen the first two back in the 80s. One in the cinema and one on vhs. Can t remember which was which. Enjoyed them well enough back then, but I have matured.

Still looking forward to the Willis movie, though.
    Yeah II was basically a remake of I while being a sequel. I love III for just how insane it is. :))

I too am looking forward to the Willis remake as well.

@Thunderfinger have you seen "The Brave One." with Jodi Foster? That's a pretty good remake of Death Wish as well.
    No, don t think so.

You should appreciate that I sat through this dreck. I could have gone out and killed some deadbeats instead.