Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

Damn. Another Bond legend now gone. RIP.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I don't see anything online re Lewis Gilbert's death. What is the source?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am not seeing news of Gilbert's passing in any major news publication. Is this a hoax?
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    I don't see anything online re Lewis Gilbert's death. What is the source?

There is a Dutch publication running this. That's all. The news has since spread like wildfire through twitter. Gilbert's Wikipedia page states he died on the 23rd.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,471
    Terrible, terrible news, but at 97, the man lived a long and fruitful life, that's for damn sure. What a shame to see another legend from the universe pass away. Been a tough past couple of years for those involved in this series. RIP, Mr. Gilbert, and thanks for the entertainment.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I'm still calling BS until it's reported somewhere other than Bond fan websites, well known or otherwise.

How would the Swedish site have quotes from Steven Saltzman and Chris Corbould which can't be found anywhere, when he's not reported as having died in any news outlet?
    As of this writing, IMDB is NOT showing anything. Hmmm.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »

Being posted elsewhere. The man was 97, it's really not a stretch of the imagination or an impossibility that he passed.

Also, IMDB is the last place to go for any sort of concrete sources on anything.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Widely reported, but not yet by the BBC
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,554
    NicNac wrote: »
    Widely reported, but not yet by the BBC

Or any major news service. Still waiting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

Being posted elsewhere. The man was 97, it's really not a stretch of the imagination or an impossibility that he passed.

Also, IMDB is the last place to go for any sort of concrete sources on anything.

Considering he supposedly died four days ago, I'd think we'd have something. This whole thing is sort of bizarre.
    Nothing on Sky News as well as BBC...weird.
    Hollywood Reporter is now confirming.
    I cant believe all these news agencies haven't picked up on this yet,he has been dead since Friday !
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Just seen this news. Very sad. Rest In Peace good sir.
    R.I.P Mr Gilbert. Director of The first Bond film I ever watched. It was Moonraker at the Odeon cinema at the Elephant & Castle.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    RIP Lewis Gilbert. He was the master when it came to making epic Bond films.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Moonraker was the first Bond movie I ever saw, making me the fan I am today. My Bondathon goes out of the window tonight as I shall watch it in his honour.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    One of the greats of the Bond world. His three films are indeed very iconic and have many moments which the public naturally associate with OO7. The Bond film world would have been a lesser place without Gilbert's contributions. I don't think we will ever see such 'larger than life' premises in this series executed so well as they were under his direction. He had an eye for atmosphere, romance, suspense and spectacle, and seamlessly integrated that into the Bond cinematic template.

RIP Sir. Thanks for giving me memories which will stay with me forever.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All 60s/70s directors gone now.
    Damn. I was just yesterday listening to a Bond podcast where they were discussing how he was still with us. What a long, rewarding life and career. Certainly among the best directors the series has had.
  • Paul De Meo, a writer-producer, has died. He and his writing partner did some James Bond video games. They also developed and produced the 1990 Flash television series and did the screenplay for the 1991 movie version of The Rocketeer. The latter's cast included Timothy Dalton as a memorable villain.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/paul-de-meo-writer-producer-dies/
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,267
    RIP Lewis Gilbert. He left a huge impact on the franchise with his epic, colorful Bond films. I’m going to put on YOLT now.
    As I did on the night Roger died, I'm re-watching this scene again.

Lovely cinema (despite still closing my ears everytime Bach delivers a line).

RIP Lewis Gilbert

Was watching TSWLM with the family and that is what 007 was then, excellent entertainment with a great James Bond reinvented in Cubby's first solo outing.
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    R.I.P Mr. Gilbert, today's era of Bond could learn a few things from him.
    RIP Lewis Gilbert. A proper gentleman, sadly missed.
    RIP Lewis Gilbert.

Loved what he contributed to the Bond series. Tho not a fan favorite I loved Moonraker a lot. Once of his best films.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Just to make today even more of a bummer, also RIP Peter Miles, best-known to the Dr Who community as Nyder in Genesis of the Daleks. (I met him at a friend's party once, because I have friends who are Very Serious Who Fans.)