SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

Has this thread died a death?

The gentlemen that hosted it did,unfortunately.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Has this thread died a death?

The gentlemen that hosted it did,unfortunately.

I know that Greg (aka SirHenry) passed, but the thread had some life in it for a while…
    I have a similar experience to @Birdleson with regards to the late Sixties transition period. But fortunately, I was taken to see OHMSS in the winter of '69, which was when my love of Bond was born. Subsequently, I caught up with all the past great Bond movies at the turn of the new decade in various reruns and double-bills, until DAF was released in '71.

To begin with, I was aware that Bond had been played by a different actor before Lazenby, due to my class mates having already seen YOLT and bringing into school the various Corgi toys associated with that movie, including the Toyota 2000 GT and the original Corgi Aston-Martin, which we would pit against the Batmobile and The Green Hornet 'Black Beauty' car in various duels to the death. Having missed out on seeing YOLT, I was therefore delighted when I got the chance to see OHMSS. Having a father that was a journalist in London's Fleet Street, I was also given all the background trivia on the series and who Lazenby was up until that point. My dad even got me the press kit for the movie, which I've still managed to hold on to and not lose.

So by the time DAF came out, I had pretty much caught up with most of the older Bond movies I'd missed or was too young for when they were originally released. I was already aware that Lazenby was only doing one Bond movie when I first saw OHMSS, as my father made a point of spoiling my ambitions of seeing any further movies staring the same actor again afterwards. I guess you could say I was a little miffed by it. But by the very same token, there were still plenty of other Connery movies to see, so it was a rather short-lived disappointment.

Anyway, by the time DAF was released, I felt I was something of an expert on all things Bond. Also, being a few year's older than I had been when I saw OHMSS, I was more aware of my social surroundings, so I can remember with absolute clarity how I felt when I first saw DAF in the cinema in '71. I also remember A Clockwork Orange being on at the other local cinema opposite where DAF was playing. I can still recall the DAF TV adverts, the giant movie posters erected on industrial sites, or near car parks. I can remember the title song being played on the radio. The same obviously goes for LALD. Of course, DAF is very much a product of its time, but it did fit comfortably into that era. It felt current and fresh, as did the fashion.

The great thing about that period was that it didn't seem very long before we got another Bond movie at the cinema, whether it be an old or a new one. Sure, I wasn't particularly happy to find out that Connery wasn't coming back for LALD, but I was also curious and raring to see how Roger Moore would play the role. I think the two-year gap was just about right. Any longer and I think cinema-goers would have lost interest.

LALD was a strange one for me. I was taken to the Odeon Leicester Square to see it, before it went on it's nationwide release a few week's later. I already had the soundtrack. I had the movie tie-in Pan book which came with a large colour poster of Moore in his gun holster and black nightsuit. Believe it or not, I still have that poster too. Again, I thought it was a great action movie, and I liked Roger|Moore, but I felt it was missing something. Perhaps I was yearning for Connery's (and Lazenby's for that matter) macho swagger. I don't want to give you the impression I didn't like it, because I did. I just felt it had slightly lost something which I couldn't quite put my finger on at the time.

As for the actors swapping and changing, I can't honestly say that it bothered me too much. Actors in some of my favourite TV shows were often being replaced, so it was just one of those things and was to be expected, really.
    Cheers, @Birdleson. I'm not sure whether I answered the question properly, as I started to reminisce maybe too much as I was typing. It can be a little hazy around the OHMSS release as I can clearly remember wanting to see Where Eagles Dare also roughly the same time, especially as my schoolmates were raving about it. Sadly, I had to wait a couple more years and catch Eagles on another rerun. But what a great movie that was too!! It had everything. It's a period that I remember, because I was always interested in seeing what was Showing Next in the cinema lobby. Paint Your Wagon, Butch Cassidy, Midnight Cowboy (which I originally thought was a Western), The Italian Job. It was a great time to be able to go to the cinema.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Reminiscing is what we young folks enjoy reading about.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Indeed! Thank you @bondsum for those stories! I can't believe you still have the press kit and the LALD poster!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sick u lot r old lol
    Even Beavis and Butthead are rather old now.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Birdleson wrote: »
    And all of this is why the Originals tend to drift away from this thread. And why the women tend to shy away from the women's thread.

Wasn't @royale65 a qualifier himself? And you're not telling me you're not used to @Thunderfinger 's antics by now....
    And all of this is why the Originals tend to drift away from this thread. And why the women tend to shy away from the women's thread.

Wasn't @royale65 a qualifier himself? And you're not telling me you're not used to @Thunderfinger 's antics by now....

They never get old.

They never get old.

Oh yes you do..... :-P
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I'm old and feeling it tonight.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm getting there day by day.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Only here to check messages about once a month now. Just to say:

I love this thread. It is stellar, truly golden - and that is thanks to Greg/SirHenry the founder AND every single Original and other thoughtful contributor here over the years. Yes, I tried to shepherd this thread for a couple of years, and it was great fun (and an honor due to my friendship with SirHenry) - and I continue to care about it.

However, I will be off the forum due to personal real life "things" that get in the way sometimes. :) No worries. I'm healthy and doing fine; just busy with work and other interests still pulling at me. Please note I will try to return by the end of this March.

In the meantime, do carry on! Choose a topic, share your personal Bond stories, raise a glass to SirHenry. Cheers! Like Bond, I shall return ... (just someday, not now).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OMG! I'm 18 years older than the actor who played Bond in the first movie I saw in the theatre...!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    OMG! I'm 18 years older than the actor who played Bond in the first movie I saw in the theatre...!

And that actor -- and that movie -- would be...?
    chrisisall wrote: »

Connery in DAF! That is, 18 years older than he was then.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Connery in DAF! That is, 18 years older than he was then.

Ha! That's nothing... (to quote Dilbert's "Topper" character).

I'm now four years older than Sir Rog in AVTAK. Quite depressing. On the other hand, always remember the only thing worse than getting older is NOT getting older.
    Beeing reflective by using Bond, interesting way of doing that. I'm as old as Connery was in You Only Live Twice. Sounds like a proper mid-life crisis title ;-)
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,816
    Great to hear from you @4EverBonded !

Indeed, hope you are keeping well, @4EverBonded.
    Everyone does.
    Everyone does.

Indeed, and I hope that she's back with us as soon as us humanly possible.
  • As I stated quite awhile back, my first Bond film seen in the theater was a triple bill of TB, GF, and DN when TB was nearing the end of its initial release. When YOLT came out, I held off seeing it for too darned long, hoping to find a double bill of that with FRWL. Then OHMSS came out instead...and I was not pleased with the reviews I saw re: Lazenby's performance as Bond. I didn't actually see another Bond film on the big screen until TMWTGG was matched with a double bill of LALD. My favorite of the first batch was GF and my favorite of the second was.......oh, tough one. LALD I guess... I never quite warmed to Roger as Bond, but that's a whole 'nother story. With TSWLM I was able to at least accept that this was just a different take on Bond and I'd have to learn to live with it. Then MR came out and oh, dear, I had to go through a phase of learning to accept the silliness all over again.

These days I can kind of accept the silliness in MR...but I still have some issues with TMWTGG. At least I was able to catch up with the few that I'd missed in showings at a rep. house in Berkeley CA when I was in my late-20s (early 1980s per the calendar.) These kids today...with their home video players and all that...they just don't know how good they've got it!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,691
    These kids today...with their home video players and all that...they just don't know how good they've got it!
    Well, yes and no. I got my first VHS recorder at 18, and tapes were JUST becoming available to rent. Up until then seeing a Bond movie (or an Apes movie- whatever) was an EVENT, whether theatrical or on TV. It was electric, and total attention was focused for there was no rewind or watching the rest tomorrow... it was a whole different & fantastic experience. One that frankly, I miss a great deal. Today all that's left of that is first-run theatrical movies, and even THEN it's just a few measly months until you can get the DVD or Blu Ray...
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,691
    oops, better place for this...

That was great- thanks! Was it made for a school project?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Nah, it was just us Bond fans havin' a go at EON.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Nah, it was just us Bond fans havin' a go at EON.

I really enjoyed it. It was well put together!

You're friends might have possibly been goofier than mine were.
    Strange thing is, we didn't even do drugs back then... we were weird.