Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 2,081
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I never get what "overrated" or "underrated" means. Other people liked it more? Other people liked it less? I don't get how something can be overrated if the person rated the way they felt. Isn't it really saying "I didn't like it as much as other people did."? I don't get the difference.

Yeah, I'm with you. I refuse to use either word on anything. People like different stuff, and if my opinion is different from some group of people or majority that doesn't make the movie over- or underrated.

I do agree with people who weren't particularly impressed with Get Out, though. It was fine, but... eh. I agree with @jake24 that it didn't work as a comedy (it wasn't actually funny...), nor as horror/thriller. I think it topped more 2017 lists than any other movie, and I have no clue what I missed with it. But it's always the same with any movie in the end; either it touches you and speaks to you in some way, or it just doesn't, and it's all very personal. Nothing anyone else says can really change that.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Devil’s Backbone was absolutely terrific. Cemented Del Toro as one of my favorite directors. Stands right next to Pan’s Labyrinth and The Shape of Water as amazing films.

It's been years since I saw it, but remember liking it a lot. The same with Pan's Labyrinth. Should re-watch both. For me Shape was the least impressive of the three - while I liked it, I was somewhat disappointed.

Mathis1 wrote: »
    I expect Shape of Water to get the usual post-Best Picture nomination backlash. A great achievement from Del Toro.

I'm seeing it tonight.

Good luck @Birdleson. Hope you don’t hate it like La La Land.

It was pretty good. Liked it just fine, nothing magnificent, but I nice film. Predictable, but good.

That's what I thought of it! Mainly liked it for Sally Hawkins and some nice visuals (was reminded a bit of Jean pierre jeunets Delicatessen or City of Lost Children in its visuals)

I also mainly liked it for Hawkins and the visuals. Didn't really touch me or make me feel much anything. (Ah, Jeunet... Delicatessen was fun.)

Has anyone else seen Game Night (2018) yet? I may be going to see it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited February 2018 Posts: 6,801
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I agree, Adjani is a stunner. Check her out in Luc Bessons debut 'Subway'

I did :-). But thanks for the recommendation anyway.

Until looking her up on IMDb tonight, by the way, I never knew she had an Algerian-born father and a Bavarian mother. Interesting combination and seems to have worked out great.

She’s also in Herzog’s masterful Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht. If you haven’t seen it, recommended as well ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Tonight...my unconventional conventionists...no, strike that, wrong quote...I watched THE DRIVER (1978) by Walter Hill on Blu-ray. Ryan O'Neal (of all people, sort of) is the protagonist, a getaway car expert never caught before, until Bruce Dern as a rather overly self-confident cop manages to lure him into taking the job in an arranged bank robbery, which goes terribly wrong. What makes this movie special are some of the best movie car chases ever, and I mean BULLITT class car chases (or the original GONE IN 60 SECONDS), not QOS editing messes. And there is the lovely (but in this case, sort of stone-faced) Isabelle Adjani, whom I would have wanted to be a Bond girl all the time in the late 70s and 80s, but the Broccolis just didn't listen.

Walter Hill's first great film. Hypnotic.
    The Mask (1994). Always a fun watch. Not an all-time great or anything obviously, but great fun. I'm very partial to 90s films personally (as well as 70s and 80s).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,722
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I agree, Adjani is a stunner.

She’s also in Herzog’s masterful Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht. If you haven’t seen it, recommended as well ;)

Thanks again...but of course I have, though it's time I do it again. (Still, I must admit I prefer Murnau's original over the Herzog/Kinski version.)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Tonight...my unconventional conventionists...no, strike that, wrong quote...I watched THE DRIVER (1978) by Walter Hill on Blu-ray. Ryan O'Neal (of all people, sort of) is the protagonist, a getaway car expert never caught before, until Bruce Dern as a rather overly self-confident cop manages to lure him into taking the job in an arranged bank robbery, which goes terribly wrong. What makes this movie special are some of the best movie car chases ever, and I mean BULLITT class car chases (or the original GONE IN 60 SECONDS), not QOS editing messes. And there is the lovely (but in this case, sort of stone-faced) Isabelle Adjani, whom I would have wanted to be a Bond girl all the time in the late 70s and 80s, but the Broccolis just didn't listen.

The Driver is a classic. Love it! Apparently Sylvester Stallone was original choice before casting O'Neal! I agree, Adjani is a stunner. Check her out in Luc Bessons debut 'Subway'

Or even better, La Reine Margot (1994) - absolutely fantastic French film based on a book by Dumas, full of murder, plot, intrigue and sex! Adjani is breath-taking in this film. Not seen it? Go see it as soon as!

The Driver is a classic. Love it! Apparently Sylvester Stallone was original choice before casting O'Neal! I agree, Adjani is a stunner. Check her out in Luc Bessons debut 'Subway'

Or even better, La Reine Margot (1994) - absolutely fantastic French film based on a book by Dumas, full of murder, plot, intrigue and sex! Adjani is breath-taking in this film. Not seen it? Go see it as soon as!

Have seen it. Yes I agree totally. Great film.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Walter Hill's first great film. Hypnotic.

Well his debut was 'Hard Times' and I really love that. Of all of Hills movies I probably watched it most! Bronson is marvellous in it!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I agree, Adjani is a stunner.

Thanks again...but of course I have, though it's time I do it again. (Still, I must admit I prefer Murnau's original over the Herzog/Kinski version.)

Me too. Though I’d say both of them are beyond brilliant.
    Watched this a few days ago,i enjoyed it :
    Damien Lewis looked very 'Bondian' in parts,more than I thought he would :

m-ourkindoftraitor.jpg

damianlewis_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqx8uPMxZ34cZWnis1wGnZx3GH_sPIAWjrrdGM3cDjpbo.jpg?imwidth=450

Our_Kind_of_Traitor_Screenshot_3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Watched this a few days ago,i enjoyed it :
    Damien Lewis looked very 'Bondian' in parts,more than I thought he would :

m-ourkindoftraitor.jpg

damianlewis_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqx8uPMxZ34cZWnis1wGnZx3GH_sPIAWjrrdGM3cDjpbo.jpg?imwidth=450

Our_Kind_of_Traitor_Screenshot_3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Read the book some years ago! How would you rate the film?
    I enjoyed it a lot.
    I haven't read the book and went into it with an open mind,but the great cast gelled well together,and it was one of the easier Le Carre films to watch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's a very good film. I enjoyed it a lot too. Great cinematography and quite stylish.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Mask (1994). Always a fun watch. Not an all-time great or anything obviously, but great fun. I'm very partial to 90s films personally (as well as 70s and 80s).

I love the soundtrack to that film. You can't go wrong with jazz.

bondjames wrote: »
    It's a very good film. I enjoyed it a lot too. Great cinematography and quite stylish.

Indeed,and Damian Lewis in particular stood out for me.

Agreed. Lewis is a very versatile actor and was impressive in this film. I first saw him in Dreamcatcher and he caught my attention. Then I followed him on Homeland and more recently on Billions. He's quite chameleon like.
    I enjoyed it a lot.
    I haven't read the book and went into it with an open mind,but the great cast gelled well together,and it was one of the easier Le Carre films to watch.

Another film to add to the "to watch"-list, then!

Agreed. Lewis is a very versatile actor and was impressive in this film. I first saw him in Dreamcatcher and he caught my attention. Then I followed him on Homeland and more recently on Billions. He's quite chameleon like.

He is one of our best acting exports,never puts a foot wrong,and is choosy in what he does.
    He has an OBE for services to drama,and is still only 47.
    I enjoyed it a lot.

I definitely recommend it,Torg,if just to see Damian Lewis as an MI6 agent.
    I enjoyed it a lot.

I definitely recommend it,Torg,if just to see Damian Lewis as an MI6 agent.

That would definitely be one of the main reasons!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Based on your accolades I just ordered Our Kind of Traitor from amazon.de as part of a "10 Blu-ray disks for EUR 50" deal.
    Based on your accolades I just ordered Our Kind of Traitor from amazon.de as part of a "10 Blu-ray disks for EUR 50" deal.

Whoops,no pressure on me then !

Let us know what you think,when you have seen it.
    With the discussion the other day about SAVING PRIVATE RYAN I decided to finally watch the other great war picture of 1998.

SMALL SOLDIERS
    small-soldiers-still2-526x284.jpg
    "All quiet on the western front...yard."

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

In German so as not to spoil too much.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited February 2018 Posts: 299
    Thought I would join in and share my top ten favourites of 2017:

1 Phantom Thread
    2 Blade Runner 2049
    3 I, Tonya
    4 Good Time
    5 War for the Planet of the Apes
    6 The Shape of Water
    7 Dunkirk
    8 Last Flag Flying
    9 Brawl in Cell Block 99
    10 The Disaster Artist

Still wanna check out The Death of Stalin, You Were Never Really Here, The Florida Project and All the Money in the World.
    NSGW wrote: »
    Thought I would join in and share my top ten favourites of 2017:

1 Phantom Thread
    2 Blade Runner 2049
    3 I, Tonya
    4 Good Time
    5 War for the Planet of the Apes
    6 The Shape of Water
    7 Dunkirk
    8 Last Flag Flying
    9 Brawl in Cell Block 99
    10 The Disaster Artist

Good Top 2 there. Definitely two of my favorites from the year as well.
    Can't comment on any recent movies since I haven't been to a theatre since SPECTRE came out in 2015. But tonight I watched BASTILLE DAY and thought it was quite an excellent action movie with spy elements that I enjoyed very much. Idris Elba is a great actor and I wouldn't mind turning that movie in a sort of franchise, while I think that "Luther" is too much of a psycho for me...and no, I don't want to discuss the possibility of a "Black Bond" here.
    Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)

Great fun. Featuring Sean O'Connery

MV5BMTQzNjgxMTQ3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODU3NTYyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Nice British documentary.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Debt (2011)
    GWiJtOM.jpg

I came across this John Madden directed thriller in 2012 by chance. I had heard that Thomas Newman was scoring Skyfall, and having endured a torturous 4 year wait (like other Bond fans) since QoS, was anxious for all things pertaining to the 23rd Bond film. I realized that Jesper Christensen was in this film and additionally that Newman had done the score. Not being familiar with his work, I therefore sought out the blu ray. Not only was I impressed with his score, but I loved the film then, and I very much enjoyed it again tonight.

The then little known Jessica Chastain stars with Sam Worthington & Marton Csokas as young Mossad agents tasked with bringing back a Nazi war criminal, Dr. Dieter Vogel (Chistensen), from East Berlin in 1966. Their mission is complicated by a romantic triangle which develops between the team members as they seek out Vogel. The film actually begins in 1997, with Helen Mirren, Ciaran Hinds & Tom Wilkinson staring as older versions of the characters, still basking all these years later in the accolades Israel (and their family) showered on them for their heroism. However, the viewer gets an unsettling feeling that something isn’t quite right. As the film goes back in time to tell the story of what happened, one realizes that all is not as it initially seemed.

It’s difficult to write more without giving away crucial plot details, but I will say that this really is a very interesting spy drama about principles, the truth, lies, guilt, shame, redemption, justice, family and a nation’s pride. It’s well worth a viewing, although the ending is a bit weak and unfortunately the 1960's section is more interesting than the flash forward 1990's ending.

If you liked entries like The Marathon Man or The Boys From Brazil then you might like this. It’s very atmospheric & the acting is excellent from the stellar cast, but particularly from Chastain who is suberb (like I said, I knew nothing about her when I first saw this film, but knew she was going to go places). Christensen also is absolutely pitch perfect, and channels Mr. White for his disturbing performance.