Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

001 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Devil’s Backbone was absolutely terrific. Cemented Del Toro as one of my favorite directors. Stands right next to Pan’s Labyrinth and The Shape of Water as amazing films.

Lucky you didn't quit at the title like some people do. :)

I rarely quit on a movie once I start it, even if I end up disliking it early on.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 19,339
    jake24 wrote: »
    I found Get Out to be unbelievably overrated.

I found that.
    I was really looking forward to it,but when I watched it with my partner, on SKY,she eventually went on her laptop and I sat there at the end thinking 'what a let down'.

Birdleson wrote: »
    I expect Shape of Water to get the usual post-Best Picture nomination backlash. A great achievement from Del Toro.

I'm seeing it tonight.

Good luck @Birdleson. Hope you don’t hate it like La La Land.

It was pretty good. Liked it just fine, nothing magnificent, but I nice film. Predictable, but good.

That's what I thought of it! Mainly liked it for Sally Hawkins and some nice visuals (was reminded a bit of Jean pierre jeunets Delicatessen or City of Lost Children in its visuals)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Here's where my 2017 (I have done an annual list for well over 20 years) Top Ten stands right now:

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    2. THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Baker)
    3. THE SHAPE OF WATER (del Toro)
    4. THOR: RAGNAROK (Waititi)
    5. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    6. GET OUT (Peele)

I still need to see THREE BILLBOARDS, LADYBIRD and several others. I watched CALL ME BY YOUR NAME yesterday. It was decent, but I don't feel that it rises to the level of Top Ten material; I may need to mull it over.
    Dunkirk and Thor: Ragnarok are in my top five as well. I think I might have them placed similarly (Dunkirk is definitely my favourite of the year).

I quite liked Get Out too but I don't think it deserves the accolades it's getting (it's clear to me why that's happening even if it isn't to others).
    I absolutely loved BLUE JASMINE.
    An amazing performance from Cate Blanchett. Near perfection. I loved it too. I've yet to see Wonder Wheel.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    My favorite Allen films are Annie Hall and Match Point.

Both great ones. I would add MANHATTAN, HANNAH AND HER SISTERS and CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS to those two, and those are my favorites.
    ANNIE HALL and MATCH POINT would be in my top five Allen films as well. Having not seen either HANNAH AND HER SISTERS, CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS, or JASMINE (although I nearly selected it the other day at the library) my top five would be rounded out by STARDUST MEMORIES, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, and SLEEPER. (I'm not big on MANHATTAN, actually. Not sure why.)
    Devil’s Backbone was absolutely terrific. Cemented Del Toro as one of my favorite directors. Stands right next to Pan’s Labyrinth and The Shape of Water as amazing films.
    DEVIL'S BACKBONE is excellent. I might even put it ahead of PAN'S.
    I liked Baby Driver for what it was, but as I see this becoming a trend, or me just growing grumpy and less impressed with things around, these days, the film wasn't anything groundbreaking. I stand by what I say, I liked it, but the positive reviews are a bit too exaggerated. Surely others before have made great crime and heist films with cars?
    I agree. I did enjoy it, but looking back I think the reviews overestimated it.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    barryt007 wrote: »

I found that.
    I was really looking forward to it,but when I watched it with my partner, on SKY,she eventually went on her laptop and I sat there at the end thinking 'what a let down'.
    I found it enormously pretentious. I like Peele and Kaluuya a lot, but I couldn't get over the tonal balance and the vigorous social commentary.

To answer your question, @Birdleson, the term "overrated" is obviously subjective. I simply didn't see what others saw in this particular film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I found that.
    I found it enormously pretentious. I like Peele and Kaluuya a lot, but I couldn't get over the tonal balance and the vigorous social commentary.

To answer your question, @Birdleson, the term "overrated" is obviously subjective. I simply didn't see what others saw in this particular film.

The trailers didn't grab me and I've heard about that film way too much lately, I doubt I'll ever get around to seeing it. It's like the more I hear about it endlessly, the less interest I'll ever have in seeing it. Could be alright, but it's not for me. I'm guessing after all the Oscar prestige tossed his way regarding this film he won't be returning to proper comedy anytime soon.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I found that.

The trailers didn't grab me and I've heard about that film way too much lately, I doubt I'll ever get around to seeing it. It's like the more I hear about it endlessly, the less interest I'll ever have in seeing it. Could be alright, but it's not for me. I'm guessing after all the Oscar prestige tossed his way regarding this film he won't be returning to proper comedy anytime soon.

Get Out didn't know what it was. It wasn't funny enough to be a comedy and not serious or gripping enough to be a thriller.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 3,336
    Not so impressed by 2017 to be honest. I've yet to see: The Greatest Showman and Paddington 2, but this is my top 10 so far of 2017.

1. Blade Runner 2049
    2. Phantom Thread
    3. Logan
    4. The Shape of Water
    5. The Florida Project
    6. Lady Bird
    7. The Post
    8. War for the Planet of the Apes
    9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    10. Call Me by Your Name

HM: Coco, Wind River, Baby Driver, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Crazysoul95, I still need to see #'s 4 and 5. #'s 1 and 10 will definitely be on my Top 10, as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thrasos wrote: »
    High Noon was just on TV. Man, what a great Western. Gary Cooper's excellent. The black and white contrast is perfect. Nice camera angles and crisp, rhythmic editing. And a portrayal of duty and courage in the face of long odds and hardly any support from people around one.

I own one Gary Cooper movie. It s this one.
    Not so impressed by 2017 to be honest. I've yet to see: The Greatest Showman and Paddington 2, but this is my top 10 so far of 2017.

1. Blade Runner 2049
    2. Phantom Thread
    3. Logan
    4. The Shape of Water
    5. The Florida Project
    6. Lady Bird
    7. The Post
    10. Call Me by Your Name

Wasn't all that impressed with 2017 either tbh, all though 2049 and Logan were major standouts. Still a few I haven't seen yet.
    Top three:

1 BLADE RUNNER 2049
    2 WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
    3 LOGAN

Checking out THE SHAPE OF WATER this weekend.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I found that.

Get Out didn't know what it was. It wasn't funny enough to be a comedy and not serious or gripping enough to be a thriller.
    It's blatant social and politically motivated satire in my view. Similar to Suburbicon.
    HIGH NOON is an outstanding film. So is RIO BRAVO, which makes for an interesting double-bill with it.
    bondjames wrote: »

I found that.

It's blatant social and politically motivated satire in my view. Similar to Suburbicon.
    Didn't work for me, I'm afraid.

1. Blade Runner 2049
    2. Phantom Thread
    3. Logan
    4. The Shape of Water
    5. The Florida Project
    6. Lady Bird
    7. The Post
    10. Call Me by Your Name

That’s a good list. Haven’t seen #8-10 (not much interest in 8 or 9 I’m afraid), but the Top 7 are Ll great choices. Nice to see BR 2049 top the list; it was a darn good sequel.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Strog wrote: »
    HIGH NOON is an outstanding film. So is RIO BRAVO, which makes for an interesting double-bill with it.

Excellent double-bill, though High Noon would be my favourite of the two.
    How about STAGECOACH?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,469
    Yes, Stagecoach too. Been a while since I've seen it. Rio Bravo's great. I'm a big fan of The Outlaw Josey Wales. There are so many great ones. I guess spoilers here are okay, right? About High Noon, I "wondered" about the scene that tips off Marshal Kane to the gunslingers' arrival, when one breaks the store window to steal a ladies' bonnet and ties it on his waist. I wondered, if it were real life, wouldn't he have had more discipline than that, knowing what they were about to do? But then it's in keeping with the general disposition of those guys, especially as the same guy had earlier ridden his horse uncontrollably toward the sign that says "MARSHAL". And maybe the characters were painted with a fairly broad brush. Also, I was just reading that because some (including John Wayne) saw High Noon as un-American with liberal preachiness (with the townsfolk acting cowardly), that led Wayne and director Howard Hawks to make the more right-wing Rio Bravo. And it was an homage of High Noon's badge scene that's in Dirty Harry.
    Other great westerns-UNFORGIVEN and TRUE GRIT.

And JONAH HEX
    3397_7_large.jpg

And JONAH HEX
    3397_7_large.jpg

Worth checking out? Have only heard the songs Mastodon did for the score.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »

Excellent double-bill, though High Noon would be my favourite of the two.
    I think so, too. Although RIO BRAVO is my favorite Hawks film.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Also, I was just reading that because some (including John Wayne) saw High Noon as un-American with liberal preachiness (with the townsfolk acting cowardly), that led Wayne and director Howard Hawks to make the more right-wing Rio Bravo.
    One of the reasons it makes for good watching back-to-back. I once took a film class in westerns. After watching HIGH NOON we were supposed to watch RIO GRANDE but I accidentally watched RIO BRAVO and thought it was smart scheduling.

Another great western I discovered through that class is THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (1943). A neat, short morality play. I believe it's available on YouTube for free.
    Both of those are good too. Have you seen the TRUE GRIT remake? I haven't seen JONAH HEX. I think my favorite western released in recent years was SLOW WEST.

And JONAH HEX
    3397_7_large.jpg

Definitely! Don t know if you have read the comics?

Anyway, Josh Brolin is one of the most badass characters ever.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,373

And JONAH HEX
    3397_7_large.jpg

Noted! Sadly, I haven't had the chance to check out the comic, but it's on my "to read"-list!

Have Josh Brolin ever NOT been badass?

And JONAH HEX
    3397_7_large.jpg

Noted! Sadly, I haven't had the chance to check out the comic, but it's on my "to read"-list!

True, but this takes the cake and eats it, too.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight...my unconventional conventionists...no, strike that, wrong quote...I watched THE DRIVER (1978) by Walter Hill on Blu-ray. Ryan O'Neal (of all people, sort of) is the protagonist, a getaway car expert never caught before, until Bruce Dern as a rather overly self-confident cop manages to lure him into taking the job in an arranged bank robbery, which goes terribly wrong. What makes this movie special are some of the best movie car chases ever, and I mean BULLITT class car chases (or the original GONE IN 60 SECONDS), not QOS editing messes. And there is the lovely (but in this case, sort of stone-faced) Isabelle Adjani, whom I would have wanted to be a Bond girl all the time in the late 70s and 80s, but the Broccolis just didn't listen.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Tonight...my unconventional conventionists...no, strike that, wrong quote...I watched THE DRIVER (1978) by Walter Hill on Blu-ray. Ryan O'Neal (of all people, sort of) is the protagonist, a getaway car expert never caught before, until Bruce Dern as a rather overly self-confident cop manages to lure him into taking the job in an arranged bank robbery, which goes terribly wrong. What makes this movie special are some of the best movie car chases ever, and I mean BULLITT class car chases (or the original GONE IN 60 SECONDS), not QOS editing messes. And there is the lovely (but in this case, sort of stone-faced) Isabelle Adjani, whom I would have wanted to be a Bond girl all the time in the late 70s and 80s, but the Broccolis just didn't listen.

The Driver is a classic. Love it! Apparently Sylvester Stallone was original choice before casting O'Neal! I agree, Adjani is a stunner. Check her out in Luc Bessons debut 'Subway'

And JONAH HEX
    3397_7_large.jpg

True, but this takes the cake and eats it, too.

Now you got me interested! Will definitely have to check it out soon!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I agree, Adjani is a stunner. Check her out in Luc Bessons debut 'Subway'

I did :-). But thanks for the recommendation anyway.

Until looking her up on IMDb tonight, by the way, I never knew she had an Algerian-born father and a Bavarian mother. Interesting combination and seems to have worked out great.