No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I think it's time for @jake24 to update the production diary
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Everything will be updated by tomorrow.
    I'd rather take my chances with a Danny Boyle Bond film than another P&W-written one. I like some of the work P&W have done, but SP shows they have run out of ideas. And the melodrama definitely needs to go which was particularly present in TWINE and SP. The dramatic angle worked fine for CR and SF, but it needs to be an anomaly rather than the common thing. QOS was the closest Craig got to classic Bond action without emotional factors (just a couple present really, but not much more than the average Bond film); something like that for Bond 25 would be nice. Something fresh, energetic, and standalone to send Craig off. It's what 99% of us want.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 9,771
    Hmm I still don’t know how I feel about this
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'd rather take my chances with a Danny Boyle Bond film than another P&W-written one. I like some of the work P&W have done, but SP shows they have run out of ideas. And the melodrama definitely needs to go which was particularly present in TWINE and SP. The dramatic angle worked fine for CR and SF, but it needs to be an anomaly rather than the common thing. QOS was the closest Craig got to classic Bond action without emotional factors (just a couple present really, but not much more than the average Bond film); something like that for Bond 25 would be nice. Something fresh, energetic, and standalone to send Craig off. It's what 99% of us want.
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about this need to pursue auteurs, but I'll take Boyle if that means we'll get a new writer and new, hopefully better ideas from the two of them.
    At this point Boyle would be my choice since apparently Nolan is out. All the other rumored contenders just aren't up to par imo.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I really hope MGM and EON have a back up director if they go ahead with P&W's script without Boyle and Hodges cause filming will start very soon and everything has to be in place first to make the 2019 release date
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Boyle's a little slick for my tastes.
    This is boyling hot news.
    I'm sure Craig wouldn't sign on to do his final outing without having read a script and a director.

That sounds sensible but how can he have signed on if they now haven’t decided between two directors?
    This is boyling hot news.
    Lets not all wade in with puns.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,407
    Just a thought. If they need a few extra months because of this script situation, I wouldn't be opposed to having the film release February 2020. Black Panther (among others) have shown that a big film can succeed with a February release date. Obviously I hope they don't delay but it could be an option
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I just want a broken down bond like CR for B25 with a strong screen play full of good dialogue and nice twists and turns that make up a good plot.

It’s not a mistake that my 2 favorite bond films CR and FRWL have good somewhat complex stories
    Not even complex per say, but positively compelling. I would prefer they take this approach as well.

I would like the ending to be subtle, yet with a pithy reference to the character as a whole.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think four years is enough.
    I’m not too worried about a delay just yet. If things aren’t in place by mid-year, then I would worry. The lack of news is frustrating either way though.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    bondjames wrote: »
    When MGM was coming out of bankruptcy, Sony clearly was desperate to keep Bond. That's why it agreed to such a bad deal.
    I feel sorry for them, given the crap deal played out over two of the highest grossing films in the franchise's history.
    Also, according to Michael G. Wilson (in that 2015 video that's been referenced multiple times in this thread), Eon really does the marketing. (Which probably explains this recurring talking point among Bond actresses about how their characters aren't like those bimbos in the old Bond films). So if you're the distributor, you're responsible for the marketing costs (on top of the production costs) but you're letting Eon do the work.
    Ah, I see. I think it might be time to pass that marketing task onto someone else then because I haven't been all that impressed with these actresses parroting that line each time there's a new release. Quite frankly, they sound like bimbos themselves.

I always wondered about that myself until i saw Roger talk about that in his book (Bond on Bond). He said they all, meaning all the new Bond girls, are told to say that stuff.
    Looking at how the Internet is (d)evolving into PCness and many peole trying to paint Bond as the worst sexist in cinema history, i think we will only get more of that.
    Which composer worked with Boyle in the past films?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 11,425
    AR Rahman. Probably the best Bollywood composer. Would be an interesting match with Bond. He’s written some excellent themes. His ‘Bombay theme’ is one of his earliest and still best known pieces.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=UG&hl=en-GB&v=zvQbZNT8eeU

He’s also worked with John Murphy and Daniel Pemberton though. Doesn’t seem to have a ‘go to’ composer. His early films used a lot pop song soundtrack as was popular in the 90s of course with minimal original music.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited February 2018 Posts: 2,138
    Yann Demange - I am sorry but I enjoyed 71 but it was a small Production, the guy is not ready for the scale of a Bond film, It is a hugely stressful job that nearly broke Mendes and Marc Foster both experienced large scale Directors. It is going to take someone will experience and real drive to deliver their vision for the film to be a success. Boyle is ecliptic, I feel he would have bizarre twists and probably a dream sequence.. I would pass on Boyle even tough I do enjoy his films. I think Edward Zwick is the man for me, shocked he has not been more heavily linked.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Boyle is clever and sensitive enough to alter his style to fit the project but still bring his talent. Many thought he was the wrong choice for the olympics and he was a great choice.

I have seen him many times in interviews state that he works better on smaller budgets as it brings out his best. He also tends to concentrate on character rather than action so IF he got the job, I think we could look forward to a tight, thriller rather than a "Guinness Book of Records" explosion fest.

SF proved that this is a good route (would also seperate from the MI comparison) re box office and it also fits with it being DC's last but I fully appreciate that it maybe not what some fans want.
    patb wrote: »
    Boyle is clever and sensitive enough to alter his style to fit the project but still bring his talent. Many thought he was the wrong choice for the olympics and he was a great choice.

I have seen him many times in interviews state that he works better on smaller budgets as it brings out his best. He also tends to concentrate on character rather than action so IF he got the job, I think we could look forward to a tight, thriller rather than a "Guinness Book of Records" explosion fest.

SF proved that this is a good route (would also seperate from the MI comparison) re box office and it also fits with it being DC's last but I fully appreciate that it maybe not what some fans want.

He'll turn it down, just as he's turned them down before and turned down Alien Resurrection. It's just not the sort of filmmaking he does. I hope they're looking at other directors - and I am a massive Danny Boyle fan too!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    So they are looking to replace the script writer drama queens with a script writer and director also known for dramas? If true, this certainly tells us what direction they're headed in, and perhaps not just for this film. Those hoping for a return to classic fare are perhaps in for a significant wait.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    So from the latest reports, this is what I am gathering: Boyle is telling EON that he'll direct Bond 25 only if his man (Hodge) is writing the script.

That sounds like Boyle is asking to get an enormous F U.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wonder if Hodge will incorporate Scooby or dump them. I hope the latter.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Does anyone have any idea what this Hodge/Boyle idea might be? From some articles it sounds like it's an idea they have had for some time. Perhaps they had let some of it slip in previous interviews.
  • 00Agent wrote: »
    When MGM was coming out of bankruptcy, Sony clearly was desperate to keep Bond. That's why it agreed to such a bad deal.
    I feel sorry for them, given the crap deal played out over two of the highest grossing films in the franchise's history.
    Also, according to Michael G. Wilson (in that 2015 video that's been referenced multiple times in this thread), Eon really does the marketing. (Which probably explains this recurring talking point among Bond actresses about how their characters aren't like those bimbos in the old Bond films). So if you're the distributor, you're responsible for the marketing costs (on top of the production costs) but you're letting Eon do the work.
    Ah, I see. I think it might be time to pass that marketing task onto someone else then because I haven't been all that impressed with these actresses parroting that line each time there's a new release. Quite frankly, they sound like bimbos themselves.

I always wondered about that myself until i saw Roger talk about that in his book (Bond on Bond). He said they all, meaning all the new Bond girls, are told to say that stuff.
    Looking at how the Internet is (d)evolving into PCness and many peole trying to paint Bond as the worst sexist in cinema history, i think we will only get more of that.

Of course there's told to say that stuff. It's so obvious. They've been doing it since at least 1997 (and the buildup to Tomorrow Never Dies). They practically say the same thing every time. It's a tired talking point and it's time to retire it. Also, amusingly, they never specify which characters were bimbos.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Boyle doing Bond? :D

DWpaYCwXcAAZSJM.jpg
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    00Agent wrote: »

Of course there's told to say that stuff. It's so obvious. They've been doing it since at least 1997 (and the buildup to Tomorrow Never Dies). They practically say the same thing every time. It's a tired talking point and it's time to retire it. Also, amusingly, they never specify which characters were bimbos.

Of course, because there barelly are any in the franchise. It's a pointless debate.
    Bond girls started getting tough with GF already. After that you could count the, whatever you want to call them - not so tough-Bond girls on one hand.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited February 2018 Posts: 299
    I wonder if Hodge will incorporate Scooby or dump them. I hope the latter.

My biggest wish for Bond 25.

Bond is at his best when he's alone and against the odds.
    It's interesting that the Director's have such a higher profile than the script writers. Looking at Hodge's work, it's a mixed bag IMHO. We seem to spend 95% of the time discussing the director and 5% of the time discussing the script writer but there is an argument it should be the other way around.