Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    Bugger,my work PC doesn't let me see videos..which scene is it , @MajorDSmythe ?

It's from the bar scene at the end, where Anson downs his pint in one go.

I will watch it later,cheers matey,i love that scene.
    You can imagine the characters must have been so so thirsty,but they held off until they see Anson's reaction.

Absolutely. I love that we see him admire it first, running his finger down the glass.

Hahaha yes...trying to savour the moment as long as he can,brilliant acting by all of them.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bugger,my work PC doesn't let me see videos..which scene is it , @MajorDSmythe ?

Are you working for Alcoholics Anonymous?

Are you working for Alcoholics Anonymous?

No,but in all honesty,i think I should be a member !

Wow, thanks @Creasy47. Blushing. And I agree on everything you said about the movie and the actors. The cinematography was indeed beautiful. (The cinematographer was crying after they shot the... the conflict scene aka peach pt 2. These people. A family.) (And my god that scene...)
    I have the soundtrack playing on my headphones at bus stops, on bus rides, etc., all the time, just happily grinning.

I'll probably go see it again tomorrow.

@Birdleson, I hope you'll both enjoy it.

@DarthDimi
    I think he's sort of not fully appreciated and understood. He's very dedicated, actually serious about acting, talented, smart, fun, and a lovely person. But I suspect he has the wrong background (money and privilege) and even more importantly, I think for many he looks the wrong way to be taken seriously as an actor. There are prejudices and false expectations about people who look like him as well. And that background probably doesn't help. (Not that it helps on a personal level, either - his parents weren't supportive of his career choice, and when asked if they've seen this movie he said he doesn't know if his father has - ouch - and his mother won't, being very conservative - ouch.)
    He probably gets lumped in the same category with countless classically handsome actors who aren't necessarily expected to be able to act that much, and are mostly considered for roles where they don't really need to or aren't asked to. Witty, non-serious action heroes, or a prince charming (Mirror Mirror, you know. And frankly, many directors are too full of themselves to look beyond that, or get to know actors. You can have the second biggest role in an Eastwood movie and the director barely greets you. Guadagnino was an exception. I hope this role helps, at least.
    When I read of Chalamet, Hammer and Guadagnino attending a Hostiles screening, my first thought was "Timmy, you introduced Luca and Armie to Christian, and vice versa, right?" And then "Timmy, you introduced Armie and Scott Cooper to each other, right?" (Yeah, I'm putting expectations on a 22-year old...) But Hammer needs directors like that, sensitive people who write good roles and are good with actors. (For all I know Hammer might hate Cooper's work, zero idea... But just saying...) /mother hen mode

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Tuulia, and thank you for such an excellent analysis. Makes the wait for the blu-ray that much longer!

I read a little excerpt regarding the peach scene, and how Luca went home one evening and actually tried it himself to see how plausible it was. Got to set the next day and told Timothee that it is realistic because he tried it and it works...only for Timothee to tell him he's aware because he also tried it himself, as well. Love it.
    @Creasy47 Yeah I love all that stuff. And, hey, actors need to do their homework and proper research if they care about their craft. Which he does, so. :) ( Just to be clear, though, above I was referring to the next scene = pt. 2, with Oliver, not pt. 1 that you were commenting on. Or maybe it was clear already.)
    I'll sort of miss the promotion of this movie and this whole awards season, it has been so much fun. I've laughed myself silly, given cheeks plenty exercise by grinning, and at times been in wide-eyed wonder or gathering my chin from the floor. Good times.

Going to get around to The Florida Project, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Thor: Ragnarok, The Disaster Artist, and Wonder Woman at some point soon hopefully. Those are my biggest must-watches left on my list for the year (2017), but I may see more as well. 2018, at least for now, is looking a lot slower.
    Oh yes, absolutely, I just saw you had mentioned the peach bit and that little trivia tidbit popped into my head so I felt like sharing it in case you hadn't heard it. Everything surrounding the movie and the behind-the-scenes work is simply pure gold to me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Going to get around to The Florida Project, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Thor: Ragnarok, The Disaster Artist, and Wonder Woman at some point soon hopefully. Those are my biggest must-watches left on my list for the year (2017), but I may see more as well. 2018, at least for now, is looking a lot slower.

I wanted to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri-but the time of screening here has been ridiculous. Friday and Sunday close to midnight. Nothing on Saturday. In the weekdays before I get home from work.

I wanted to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri-but the time of screening here has been ridiculous. Friday and Sunday close to midnight. Nothing on Saturday. In the weekdays before I get home from work.

That sucks. Talk about inconvenient! It did look like a really good one.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Oh yes, absolutely, I just saw you had mentioned the peach bit and that little trivia tidbit popped into my head so I felt like sharing it in case you hadn't heard it. Everything surrounding the movie and the behind-the-scenes work is simply pure gold to me.

Good, I thought that was probably the case.

Why don't I have friends like you here. I've probably already bored my friends with my raving (though I've tried to keep it to minimum), and they aren't interested in seeing the movie... I asked nicely when the movie got here, and they were just "nah, not interested." So cruel. --- And I mean, I've kept my mouth shut about most stuff, like that first rehearsal (surely they must be tired of telling the story by now). Or Luca and Elizabeth (they'd have no clue who she is) having face mask parties, which Armie and Timmy didn't get the attraction of. Or the Crema party (had I known I might have gone there instead of London, actually - theoretically both, I mean if they can why not me... except I'm poorer, and without a sponsor, so there's that... hence less zigzagging across continents, I guess. Ok, reality...) And while I've been drooling at the pictures of the bloody house (and Luca's own isn't too bad, either), I haven't said anything about it. Or the music. Or the waterfall not being an actual waterfall, and everyone carrying movie gear up there, and Luca hitting Armie, and... Yeah, I agree it's gold, and very entertaining, but honestly, to my friends I've only mentioned a few times (or so) that the movie is all sorts of amazing and I love it to bits. I may have mentioned the actors and the director. And some oh my and wow, I guess. But they're like "nah" already, not interested. No sympathy at all.
    I know that feeling. It's almost as if the more consumed and in love I am with a movie, the less interest my friends seem to have. I'll wax poetic about them and they'll have absolutely no interest for the slightest of reasons; it really is a shame, but what can you do! I once had a buddy say he doesn't want to see Die Hard, deemed an action classic, solely because it had a "stupid title." Ridiculous.
    Yeah exactly that. Also, my friends are casual movie goers/watchers, they probably see less in a year that I see in a month, so there's that, too. And yes, "stupid title" is a ridiculous reason not to watch a classic.
    Just got to see The Disaster Artist (2017). Wonderful, fun biopic - worth its praise. The Room is one of the best bad movies ever, so this was a great companion piece to it.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Black Panther (2018). Pretty decent entry in the Marvel universe. Good story, great visuals and mostly great soundtrack. And it did take a slightly unexpected turn part way through. Which was great. Only slight niggle, no bloody credits at the beginning (other than the Marvel ident), can't really settle into a film till I've got past the credits!
    @MajorDSmythe, can't say I've heard of it before but your plot description gives me The Wages of Fear vibes.

Incidentally, Fleming wanted The Wages of Fear to be a model for the Bond films, in terms of suspense.
    Revelator wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, can't say I've heard of it before but your plot description gives me The Wages of Fear vibes.

Incidentally, Fleming wanted The Wages of Fear to be a model for the Bond films, in terms of suspense.

Well that's about as suspenseful as it gets, so he definitely picked an excellent film to be such a model.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    With all due respect to James Ivory, I'm forever grateful that in the end he didn't get to direct this

Yes, it would have been a dryer film if he did. Guadagnino has a gift for sensual visuals and that's important.
    I think the movie made some excellent changes and improved on it in many ways.

I agree. I prefer the film's beginning and ending (the book had too many endings!), and whereas the book was slightly overwritten and told you too much, the film has more mystery, and also gives Oliver more characterization. Getting ride of the narration was definitely a good move.
    Guadagnino changed the location from seaside (of the book and the original screenplay) to Northern Italy, basically his hometown and its surroundings.

I do miss the seaside--there's something elemental and overpowering about sea vistas--but the river stood in nicely.
    Ivory wanted the movie to have more nudity and to be more explicit, and wasn't happy that it isn't. Some viewers feel the same way. I disagree with them. Not that I would have minded as such, but the important thing is that it wouldn't have made for a better movie, but almost certainly the opposite.

Too much nudity probably would have been a distraction. I think Guadagnino realized his options were either to leave the sex scenes to our imaginations (and suggest sensuality through other means) or to go all-out. The second option would have been hazardous, because, as you note, "explicit sex and nudity in movies is rarely erotic at all, and tends to be more or less exploitative as well as actually boring." No one has really solved that problem (In the Realm of the Senses came close, but it's not exactly a love story with a happy ending!), and neither of Guadagnino's actors were willing to get explicit anyway.
    At one point, when Ivory was still set to direct, Shia LaBeouf was set to be cast as Oliver. (He even read with Chalamet.) What the hell was Ivory thinking? Seriously.

Indeed. That sort of miscasting can utterly wreck a film. I thought Hammer was a little too old for his character, but otherwise he was an excellent choice. And Chalamet was remarkable--he spot on in conveying the mannerisms of a teenager.
    Once again I'm so grateful I don't get movies dubbed.

Dubbing is EVIL, and anyone who disagrees should watch a dubbed Bond film. Imagine losing Connery or Moore's voices!
    Guadagnino said that he could have made it with more money had he added some antagonist like requested. "What will you hook an audience on if there's no antagonist?" Morons. Apparently some folks think that movies just have to have certain tropes and cliches.

This a legacy of all those silly screenwriting courses that insist every story needs conflict. What's really needed is tension and a problem for the characters to overcome.
    Yeah well, I don't have an orchard, so the apricot juice just wouldn't be the same, you know.

Even non-fresh apricot juice is great. I can sometimes find it in Russian markets and I have it every time I visit Turkey. For some reason Americans think the only juices are apple, orange, and cranberry.

Getting back to topic, Guadagnino says he would like to multiple sequels to CMBYM. I don't think this is a good idea. As far as I'm concerned the relationship between the characters was the fruit of only one summer, and is all the more sweet for its transience.
    I'm in agreement with you both. I don't care how bad I want to see a movie, if it's dubbed, I'll avoid it. Took me years to get around to catching the original Oldboy because Netflix only streamed it in a dubbed version for years, though I believe they finally corrected that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,528
    Blade Runner 2049 I did not have chance to watch this at the cinema due to work, initially I was apprehensive about the film as Blade Runner was one of those films that made me love cinema. 2049 was much better than I thought it would be and thankfully in no way compromises it's predecessor. I avoided spoilers on the film and was rewarded as there are some great surprises. I have only seen this once though I suspect I will be rating it close to the best Science Fiction film this century.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Is interstellar science fiction?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @JamesBondKenya
    Yet, it very much is.
    Wormhole technology delivered by aliens who operate from higher dimensions and whatnot isn't common practice yet, nor entirely understood by science. So it very much is science fiction. The brilliance of Nolan exists in the fact that he makes us think it's science fact.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,528
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @JamesBondKenya
    Yet, it very much is.
    Wormhole technology delivered by aliens who operate from higher dimensions and whatnot isn't common practice yet, nor entirely understood by science. So it very much is science fiction. The brilliance of Nolan exists in the fact that he makes us think it's science fact.

I only saw the film once and recall so little of the specifics, and the way Nolan directs his films I'd easily believe it could be science fact at some point in the future. He keeps the film in such a nice, grounded light throughout a solid portion of the time. Damn, now I want to rewatch it - I recall it not having the most positive of receptions, and I sadly missed it in theaters, but thought it was brilliant. Could've done without that particular cameo, though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Yeah a great Science Fiction film also, I rewatched that a few weeks back, I love Interstellar
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Blade Runner 2049 I did not have chance to watch this at the cinema due to work, initially I was apprehensive about the film as Blade Runner was one of those films that made me love cinema. 2049 was much better than I thought it would be and thankfully in no way compromises it's predecessor. I avoided spoilers on the film and was rewarded as there are some great surprises. I have only seen this once though I suspect I will be rating it close to the best Science Fiction film this century.
    I can easily see why anyone would feel this way. For MY part I'm glad I saw it, but I just can't ever see it again myself because of the death of Rachael... that's not where I wanted it to go. However, film-making is not about ME, and I'm glad for its success as another mega-cult film that (failed at the American box office, but) will live on forever (anyway).
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I can easily see why anyone would feel this way. For MY part I'm glad I saw it, but I just can't ever see it again myself because of the death of Rachael... that's not where I wanted it to go. However, film-making is not about ME, and I'm glad for its success as another mega-cult film that (failed at the American box office, but) will live on forever (anyway).

I can understand that
    I think the films story being based around Rachel's bones gave it weight and a through line from the previous film, am I right in thinking Sean Young has had problems? I enjoyed revisiting the world and I think they did a great job expanding upon it, also I like that they kept Deckard ambigious regarding whether he is human or not.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Yeah a great Science Fiction film also, I rewatched that a few weeks back, I love Interstellar

Love is the word I would use because the film is truly everything that I love about cinema. A premise that is realistic but larger than life and that takes the viewer on a journey that they could only go on in dreams. The melodrama isn’t great but doesn’t stop this film from being in my top ten films of all time.
    I appreciated that ambiguity, as well. I feel like if they took a definitive stance one way or the other, they were going to enrage a set group of fans of the original, so again, very happy that's the route they took instead.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I get my academy screeners form a friend, but they are slow this year. I'm waiting for several often ones you mentioned.

Hope you get the chance soon. Disaster Artist was pretty great - especially if you enjoy The Room! The Shape of Water remains my favorite of the year though.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,528

Love is the word I would use because the film is truly everything that I love about cinema. A premise that is realistic but larger than life and that takes the viewer on a journey that they could only go on in dreams. The melodrama isn’t great but doesn’t stop this film from being in my top ten films of all time.

The melodrama is laid on thick at times especially from Murphy though I look past it as she is still that child for the most part resenting an absent parent, thankfully Murphy sees the bigger picture eventually. It's another technical masterpiece from Nolan. There are some incredibly intense scenes in Interstellar, I know Nolan is hit and miss with some, though I think he is one if the best directors in modern cinema.