Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

I may be in the minority but I loved Knight and Day. It was a great action spy comedy with a blend of romance.

I liked it, too! A pre-Logan Mangold directed!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Indeed!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    patb wrote: »
    Cruise is a fine actor and he is due for some comedy. I can imagine he would be good as a father is some kind of family comedy/drama. He just needs good scripts. He was great working with the kid in Jerry Maguire IMHO.(96). The same year as MI. Its interesting to think about the direction his career would have gone without MI.
    I thought he was really good in last year's American Made. Shows what he can still do when he sets his mind to it. I'd love to see him do another courtroom drama as well.
    JET007 wrote: »
    I may be in the minority but I loved Knight and Day. It was a great action spy comedy with a blend of romance.

I liked it, too! A pre-Logan Mangold directed!
    I bought that a while back but have yet to watch it. I might get to it tonight.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

One of my favourite of 2010. :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    M:I is on the rise for me. I was lukewarm on the first, felt they had Die Another Dayed the second but had finally cracked the code with the third. Really loved that one. Now I know the Internet loves nothing more than to rail against Abrams but the man delivers in my opinion. I went to see GP and RN three times in theatres. I love them dearly.

As for Cruise, I don't care about the man's private life. He's awesome in M:I. We're lucky to have him or that series would have gone under long ago.

I can only hope that Fallout will confirm my hypothesis that the series keeps improving on itself.

There does seem to be a backlash against MI3. The 1st & 3rd films are my favourite (they alternate), followed by #4, #5 and lastly #2.
    Fist-bump! :D

One of the intriguing things about that film was Tom Cruise's character's name. He was called Roy Miller. A character of the same name was played by Matt Damon in Green Zone, released the same year. I always wondered whatever was behind it, or no one actually tried to sue one another for using the same name for their action hero protagonists.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think MI3 came out when he did his crazy Oprah Interview. Many audiences
    Cheered as Tom was tortured :-D. He's better at hiding his weirdness these days.
    Christian Bale used Tom Cruise as his inspiration to play " American Psycho".
    As he said although Tom smiles at you in Interviews, his eyes are dead.

One of the intriguing things about that film was Tom Cruise's character's name. He was called Roy Miller. A character of the same name was played by Matt Damon in Green Zone, released the same year. I always wondered whatever was behind it, or no one actually tried to sue one another for using the same name for their action hero protagonists.
    That's a great bit of trivia.

On another note, I wonder if Tom is trying to make it up to Henry for destroying his Uncle franchise during the summer of 2015. It will be interesting if anything comes out about that one day.
    bondjames wrote: »

On another note, I wonder if Tom is trying to make it up to Henry for destroying his Uncle franchise during the summer of 2015. It will be interesting if anything comes out about that one day.
    Now that you mention it, yes it does seem that way.

Not to mention, Tom was originally to play Napoleon Solo (or I don't know if that announcement was just a publicity stunt to boost interest).

Not to mention, Tom was originally to play Napoleon Solo (or I don't know if that announcement was just a publicity stunt to boost interest).
    I didn't know that! I could see it, but really I would have preferred The Cloon (in his prime of course).

I didn't know that! I could see it, but really I would have preferred The Cloon (in his prime of course).
    George Clooney and Sean Bean would've been terrific!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883

I agree. That's an interesting pair actually. I could even see Clooney and Pitt (revisiting their Oceans stint).

I agree. That's an interesting pair actually. I could even see Clooney and Pitt (revisiting their Oceans stint).
    Even better!

Oh I can imagine the interaction between them. :))
  • bondjames wrote: »

Not a publicity stunt. They were negotiating with Cruise. For a while, they had an older Solo/younger Illya vibe going in the scripting process. (Guy Ritchie said his first choice was Brad Pitt for Solo.)

When Cruise exited (to concentrate on M:I Rogue Nation), Cavill was cast and it went back (as in the original series) to having a Solo and Illya of roughly the same age. Also, when Cruise departed, the budget got cut.

Not a publicity stunt. They were negotiating with Cruise. For a while, they had an older Solo/younger Illya vibe going in the scripting process. (Guy Ritchie said his first choice was Brad Pitt for Solo.)

When Cruise exited (to concentrate on M:I Rogue Nation), Cavill was cast and it went back (as in the original series) to having a Solo and Illya of roughly the same age. Also, when Cruise departed, the budget got cut.
    So, there's more to it than meets the eye.

Wasn't the older Solo, younger Ilya Scott Z Burns' treatment?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 2,115

Yes. That's when Soderbergh was attached as director. He wanted Clooney at first. However, the older Solo/younger Illya persisted after Guy Ritchie and Lionel Wigram first took over. In fact, it persisted from late 2011 (when they took over the project) into spring 2013 (when Cruise departed). Cavill, I think was cast around June 2013. Armie Hammer was cast as Illya during the Cruise period.

Here's a timeline. More than you probably ever wanted to know about the subject.

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/timeline-for-the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-2015/
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423

Yes. That's when Soderbergh was attached as director. He wanted Clooney at first. However, the older Solo/younger Illya persisted after Guy Ritchie and Lionel Wigram first took over. In fact, it persisted from late 2011 (when they took over the project) into spring 2013 (when Cruise departed. Cavill, I think was cast around June 2013. Armie Hammer was cast as Illya during the Cruise period.
    Clooney would've been a great Solo. But, I heard the premise had Solo train Illya to replace him, which is a bad story concept, in my opinion. Glad it didn't pan out.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Yes. That's when Soderbergh was attached as director. He wanted Clooney at first. However, the older Solo/younger Illya persisted after Guy Ritchie and Lionel Wigram first took over. In fact, it persisted from late 2011 (when they took over the project) into spring 2013 (when Cruise departed. Cavill, I think was cast around June 2013. Armie Hammer was cast as Illya during the Cruise period.
    Clooney would've been a great Solo. But, I heard the premise had Solo train Illya to replace him, which is a bad story concept, in my opinion. Glad it didn't pan out.

I agree. They ended stumbling to where they should have started, i.e. the agents are roughly the same age.

I agree. They ended stumbling to where they should have started, i.e. the agents are roughly the same age.
    Precisely. Looking forward to see when they announce plans for the sequel. I loved the first film.
    So it's a wrap? Have they finished principal photography (shooting all the set pieces)?
    Looks that way.
    6 months postproduction with almost no CGI added?
  • I think MI3 came out when he did his crazy Oprah Interview. Many audiences
    Cheered as Tom was tortured :-D. He's better at hiding his weirdness these days.
    Christian Bale used Tom Cruise as his inspiration to play " American Psycho".
    As he said although Tom smiles at you in Interviews, his eyes are dead.

Well I'm pretty sure he does the stunts to get out of Scientology. Unless he signed one of those billion year contracts.
    Earlier today I heard a rumour about Cruise leaving Scientology. But, of course, it could be a false rumour. Interesting one, nonetheless. Sources claim he wants to depart only for the sake of his daughter and to be more involved in her life than he is.
    Scientology provides many of the cars, bikes and planes he likes to play with....... Along
    With the odd wife. :-D
    I don't get the "oprah fiasco" as some people call it..I rememeber hearing about "Tom lost his mind!!!" type of posts and what not....so I imagined it was something crazy........so for few years I lived thinking Tom did something stupid or what not...so few years after the interview I decided to look it up and I found out that.....it's not weird at all. Just a guy having fun and being happy.....wtf was up with all that hate for him i'll never get it...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think it's because he plays level headed leading men, it shocked people to see him goofing about like that. It says more about peoples fragile sensibilities than the man himself if you ask me.
    Wasn't that when he jumped on the couch? It was a bit of a childlike loss of control but I think it was blown out of proportion. If I'm not mistaken, that's when they started going after him for Scientology as well.
    He also did a very odd Interview on Scientology
  • He also did a very odd Interview on Scientology

I think you mean the leaked video for when he won an award. He doesn't say anything of not be just laughs a lot and claps for some reason.