How do I introduce my children to Bond?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I loved (and still do love) LALD but I wonder how it would play for a young kid today.

I'd say MR or TSWLM would be the best bet to hook a kid on the larger than life world of James Bond. Pure fantasy.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    My friend's daughter got TSWLM as her first (and so far only) and loved it, but found Jaws a bit scary.

She's also obsessed with Mamma Mia! The Movie, and I suspect has a pretty massive crush on Pierce, so I'm looking forward to blowing her mind with GE. I've shown her the trailer and am awaiting parental permission to watch the whole thing with her.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    How do I introduce my children to Bond?
    -Jeremy, I'd like you to meet Mr...
    -Bond, James Bond.
    -Nice to meet you, Mr. Bond. And this is my dog, Scruffy!
    -The whole house goes up in smoke and that bloody thing survives...
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Goldfinger is a good one too. I watched that pretty early on
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Goldfinger is a good one too. I watched that pretty early on

Me too, actually.
    I mean it’s very hard for me to remember which bonds I watched first and which ones I didn’t because my dad would watch them all the time and pretty much since I was born I would just be hanging around him and watch them too. My dads favorites are the Moore films and so I would guess that those would be the first I watched but to be honest I couldn’t say. As for theatres my dad says he took me to CR, but I think he’s mistaken because the first bond film I remember was QOS at the age of 6
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,533
    Since I'm 20 and don't have a kid, thank God lol, I've introduced my young cousin to the series by showing him GF, TB, YOLT, TSWLM, MR, TLD, GE, and TND. He was pretty into it. Especially YOLT which he made me watch twice with him. Also TB and TLD.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Showed my 5 year old dove TMWTGG and he loved it. He especially liked the karate fight with the girls kicking butt and one guy in the privates! (his word not mine!) Not too much violence other then a bullet hole to the head but not too over the top with brains and such splattering.

I thought GF would be a good follow up. I remember as a kid being wide eyed at Odd Job.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    Well, I’m pleased to report a successful mission. My son and I watched TSWLM last night, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Was very much taken by Jaws (is convinced he’s a robot) and loved the fight scenes and the ship sinking. He wants to see another, so I reckon MR will be next on our agenda :)
    Excellent work! Have fun!
  • GamesBond007GamesBond007 Golden Grotto
    There is only one Bond movie any responsible parent should show their little ones and that is License To Kill. It really it fun for the whole family.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I started with DN, but skipped FRWL (the story was too complex and I wanted to save this experience for later for them). Then moved on to GF, TB and YOLT.

I will skip some of the more complex films and some because of the brutality (LTK, CR, QoS ...).

So far we also saw TSWLM and Moore as well as Jaws made quite some impression - even they still prefer Connery :-D
    I don’t think the Craig movies would be high on my list for little kids. Perhaps after they’ve done the Moore and the brosnan films you could test the waters with CR.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,804
    I don’t think the Craig movies would be high on my list for little kids. Perhaps after they’ve done the Moore and the brosnan films you could test the waters with CR.

"You wanna tape this, kiddies. We've got all your favourites!"

Dalton and Craig would be pretty strong meat for the kiddies, I should say.
  • Craig’s films and LTK are probably best left for kids over 10. I think I’d add GE as well for the sheer adult factor in Xenia’s scenes and TND, which for all its outlandishness has quite a bit of brutal violence as well: killing Carver with the sea-drill, bloody papers after ditching that thug down the printing press, the threat of open-heart and genitalia torture, ninja stars to the throat, stabbing the stealth boat guard square in the chest. I remember finding that all a bit visceral when I was around 12-13 and was probably just old enough at that point to handle it.
    I have to admit I kind of miss the days when Bond was PG. Although very few movies today are. PG-13 is extremely common for all genres now. I believe one of the later DIE HARD films was edited down to PG-13 prior to release.
    I think pretty much any Bond film shown to a kid has the potential to turn them into a fan. I'd still stick with Sean or Roger, though.
    Personally I'd say 14 or 15 is the right age for Dalton if you wish to be smitten for life.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Personally I'd say 14 or 15 is the right age for Dalton if you wish to be smitten for life.

Just ready in time for the LTK 15 certification!
    Craig’s films and LTK are probably best left for kids over 10. I think I’d add GE as well for the sheer adult factor in Xenia’s scenes and TND, which for all its outlandishness has quite a bit of brutal violence as well: killing Carver with the sea-drill, bloody papers after ditching that thug down the printing press, the threat of open-heart and genitalia torture, ninja stars to the throat, stabbing the stealth boat guard square in the chest. I remember finding that all a bit visceral when I was around 12-13 and was probably just old enough at that point to handle it.

Ugh no no no. I’m 15 for gods sake and I’ve been watching these films forever.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

no.

When I say watch the Moore films first, I mean a kid will enjoy them more probably, however after the age of 6 I could watch the Dalton films and enjoy them.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    When my Daughter was younger and wanted to watch a Bond, Living Daylights was my choice.
    For a six year old (the age of the OP's kid), I still say MR is the way to go.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For me, ten is the youngest I would show any Bond. While some like MR and OP are lighthearted they still deal with some subjects like assassination and randomly sleeping with various partners, that I think a child would need a certain degree of maturity and ability to discuss with a parent.
    Of course every child is different, but we only get one childhood, why rush them along?
    talos7 wrote: »
    For me, ten is the youngest I would show any Bond.
    Coincidentally that is the age that I shall be introducing my nephews to Bond. It's a few years yet and I can't wait. So I tend to agree that 10 is a good age.
    I think that’s way too late, 5 is the way to go
  • I think that’s way too late, 5 is the way to go

Well, I can speak from experience that 10+ is not too late to become a lifelong Bond fan...
    A bit of experiment I did this morning: my 16 months old son seems to love the title sequence of CR. He was dancing on it smiling loads.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I was introduced to Bond in the early 2000’s with a VHS copy of TWINE. Little did I know that it would influence my life so much later on. Funny I can pin down my cinema obsession to this single viewing of one of the lesser liked Bond films, but maybe because of that it remains such a fond memory.

I hope all those little boys and girls you introduce to the World of Bond will one day look back on that day the way I do now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first film I showed my son was CR. He was 10.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    The first film I showed my son was CR. He was 10.

Really? I find CR a bit too hard for a 10yr old so I started with Connery/Moore ... I tend to save CR/QoS/SF for another 2-3 years (my oldest son is 10 yrs old, too)
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I was lucky that my daughter noticed me watching OHMSS. She showed an interest and it has become her favourite Bond of all. Good taste. I feel that, especially, with the winter setting it’s a good one to kick off with. Maybe just finish before Bond and Tracey Drive off after the wedding.