How do I introduce my children to Bond?

ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
in Bond Movies Posts: 34
When I grew up in the 70s, I'd occasionally watch a Bond film on TV with my dad - usually on a Sunday afternoon - and I quickly became a Bond fan. I have a terrific memory of one particular morning being ferociously angry with my dad because I discovered he'd been to see The Spy Who Loved Me at the cinema the night before. I was seven years old at the time!

Now I'm a dad myself, I want to introduce my son (six years old) to Bond, but I'm looking for advice on which film to show him first. He enjoys film (though kid's stuff obviously), and he probably has enough attention span to watch a Bond film if there's enough action (rather than dialogue). The portrayal of violence is an issue for me, but that goes hand-in-hand with Bond. That said, I don't think it affected me at that age.

So, I'm after some advice - which Bond film should I show him first? I'm thinking You Only Live Twice (space, ninjas - stuff he loves). Does anyone have any opinions? :)

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,131
    Without a doubt the Moore era. LALD, TSWLM or MR....definitely the larger than life, humourous, fast paced and easy watching elements. When he's a fan and has a more sophisticated pallet you can bring in Connery! Then he will be even more hooked.
    Moore or Brosnan....TND would get him hooked straight away ,but you might have to fast-forward through the ship sinking/sailors being shot scene.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Moore or Brosnan....TND would get him hooked straight away ,but you might have to fast-forward through the ship sinking/sailors being shot scene.

Why Barry? He needs to know that the villains are evil....which makes their ultimate defeat more gratifying.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Why Barry? He needs to know that the villains are evil....which makes their ultimate defeat more gratifying.

True,but I meant from @Thunderballs point of view,he said he was concerned about it.

I let my daughter see all of it when I introduced her,she loved it at the time.

According to the BBFC now Diamonds Are Forever is suitable only for 12+.
    Dennison wrote: »

Madness.havent they seen PG rated films recently ?!

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I read up on this a while ago. It's down to the protracted fiery death of Mr Kidd, I believe.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I read up on this a while ago. It's down to the protracted fiery death of Mr Kidd, I believe.

Just that ?
    Then surely TB PTS should make that film 12,AVTAK when Zorin shoots all his workers etc etc .

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,107
    A friend of mine is, like me, a huge Dr Who fan, but he's wary of being too enthusiastic about it around his kids in case they dismiss it as uncool because Dad likes it. So maybe act cool and just happen to have a Bond film on while your son's in the room, rather than make a big deal of it...

(He's having an even harder time picking a story to start with!)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,786

Maybe they consider Wint and Kidd not PC enough :))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    GOLDENEYE— my son was hooked during the car race between he and Onatopp
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Maybe they consider Wint and Kidd not PC enough :))

You might be right !!

peter wrote: »
    GOLDENEYE— my son was hooked during the car race between he and Onatopp

Is your son called Pierce? ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I saw that too @Dragonpol !! It’s early where I am; but funny thing: every time my son watched this scene, he would sit there, holding an imaginary steering wheel, spit flying out of his mouth as he made the sounds of a revving engine.

So, yes, in some ways my son was driving against Ontatopp, lol!
    peter wrote: »
    I saw that too @Dragonpol !! It’s early where I am; but funny thing: every time my son watched this scene, he would sit there, holding an imaginary steering wheel, spit flying out of his mouth as he made the sounds of a revving engine.

So, yes, in some ways my son was driving against Ontatopp, lol!

It's fine. I couldn't resist a little joke. Nice to know that it was literally true, though! I can just see it! :))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He was three at the time and did a fine Brosnan “the name’s Bahnd, James Bahnd”
    When I was 6 I got hooked on Bond watching TB. Because if Fiona Volpe and Domino. And I thought the whole underwater fighting and sharks was uber cool.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    When I was 6 I got hooked on Bond watching TB. Because if Fiona Volpe and Domino. And I thought the whole underwater fighting and sharks was uber cool.

Probably somewhere around that age or a little older when I became hooked. I never looked back from there!
    Gosh you're a precocious bunch.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    My three year old son loved the TB ending with all the scuba divers. He didn't take notice of them shooting each other
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Gosh you're a precocious bunch.

It's why it's so hard to give up...not that I could or would even want to! ;)
    MR was the first I saw followed by TSWLM. It wasn't until DN that I became hooked. I'd recommend any of those. Basically any Connery or Moore films are a good start.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    As my dad introduced to me at the age of 4, the Moore era for sure.
    I actually introduced myself to Bond,no family member did.

As did I at age 10 thanks to an article in Nintendo Official Magazine on the N64 GoldenEye game.

Same here as far as I can recall. First saw some of them on TV in the early 1990s.

Same here as far as I can recall. First saw some of them on TV in the early 1990s.

I think for me it was either TSWLM or MR i saw first. :-?
    I had to discover Bond for myself, too. As soon as I did, my parents revealed that they'd seen almost all of them in the cinema, and started watching them with me.

I think for me it was either TSWLM or MR i saw first. :-?

Yes, I think my first was probably LALD.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    Thanks for all your ideas (and it’s great to know your childrens’ reactions to their own Bond introductions)!

I think we’re going to with LALD, TSWLM, or GE :)