The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I watched TSWLM. Last night too. Still a great
    Film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I remember a few years after LTK, Don Stroud appeared as a biker on MacGyver.
    By then he had lost an eye. Apparently he was coming to the aid of someone being mugged and was stabbed.

Who lost an eye ?

FoxRox wrote: »
    There are several reasons why TSWLM is Moore’s greatest Bond outing. One of them is a 10/10 PTS.

You think so? Great stunt finale with the skiing, but the first part? Very meh!!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 15,818
    barryt007 wrote: »
    By then he had lost an eye. Apparently he was coming to the aid of someone being mugged and was stabbed.

Who lost an eye ?

Don Stroud not too long after he did LTK. Some say he was hit with a bar stool, but I believe he intervened a mugging and was stabbed.

Who lost an eye ?

Don Stroud not too long after he did LTK. Some say he was hit with a bar stool, but I believe he intervened a mugging and was stabbed.

Wow I didn't know that !!
    Huh, I watched LTK today as well. I had a great time with it and for the first time it went ahead of TLD

Sorry. Mistake.

Who lost an eye ?

You can see a radical change in his face post LTK.
    The Don Stroud page on Wikipedia doesn't mention the incident at all, yet it's in the imdb page. In John Glen's book he mentions it in the LTK chapter, but I believe gets the facts mixed up.
    I've never seen an interview with Stroud discussing the situation. Maybe he doesn't like talking about it? I've always been curious about it, yet there is little information on what really happened.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Who lost an eye ?

The Don Stroud page on Wikipedia doesn't mention the incident at all, yet it's in the imdb page. In John Glen's book he mentions it in the LTK chapter, but I believe gets the facts mixed up.
    I've never seen an interview with Stroud discussing the situation. Maybe he doesn't like talking about it? I've always been curious about it, yet there is little information on what really happened.

Maybe someone caught his eye.

Who lost an eye ?

Maybe someone caught his eye.

I expected better from you Thunderfinger. I'll have my eye on you.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Watching Dr No right now. Good film. I call it the “pilot” Bond film.

Maybe not quite a TV movie in style but definitely feels like it could have spawned from a tv series. There’s certainly a more constrained feel to it with a lot of the action taking place in interior locations (offices, bedrooms, hotel rooms, studies etc).
    Just watching Connery walking round a room in that suit is sublime.
    Connery looks great but it’s hard to comprehend that he was only 32 at the time (my age now).

He looks several years older...more like late 30s.
    “East, West points on a compass both as stupid as the other”

“World domination...same old dream”

Legendary scene.
    The computers and beeping sound effects in No’s big operations room remind me of the old Gerry Anderson shows. Very 60s.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Going to watch AVTAK in 30.

First film after my Bondathon at home on the 108" screen in 4K.

This is an army-Bondathon I'm starting now, quite intimate setting in my army bunk on a wonderful big iPad I got for Christmas with all the Bond films on it!!
    High quality headphones too :D
    I too enjoy getting a big one in bed. .. tablet that is to enjoy the Bonds ;-)
    The PTS is great. Another ski action on snow and ice. That always works.

Love the lines Bond has once he is in the sub.

There was a heck of a crowd on the piste.
    Call me James. It's five days to Alaska.

And then that wonderful titles sequence with a song that keeps growing on me fast.
    Surely this is one of the most recognizable Bond themes. I have to check out Duran Duran's body of work.

Q is at his usual grumpiness: If, 007, you'd ever bothered to read any memos sent from my department, you would realise this is a prototype of a sophisticated surveillance machine.

Sir Godfrey is introduced and we are at a horse race. It's a cool setting for a Bond sequence and a great way to introduce MayDay (that clothes!!) and Zorin.

The Eiffel Tower sequence is fantastic. Sadly the taxi chase is too silly and I'm sorry, but when you can see that clearly it's a stuntmen then they should have found another solution. Big fail!

Still, until this point the film is as good as any other Bond generally speaking.

Unfortunately it goes downhill from here but it's still Bond, it's Moore, and it's fun.
    i think its quite a fairly weak action scene when compared to the other snow sequences in the films before then.
    I love the snowboarding looks so cool.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    “East, West points on a compass both as stupid as the other”

“World domination...same old dream”

Legendary scene.

One of my favorite scenes in the entire series. Everything about that dinner sequence is gold to me.
    The whole sequence at Zorin's Chateau is probably a or the low point in the series.
    But I'll be damned if it's not still fun to watch, just for Tibbett's and Bond's repartee.
    At least the end of Bond ending up in the lake is interesting and I like that Moore for once did something himself in the film.
    The film really only gets real good again once Bond and Stacey get to the mine. But it's still easy to watch, the whole section in San Francisco has some wonderful scenes with Moore and Walken, like in the town hall.
    I like the town hall scenes the best, although Tanya pretty much destroys the tension by screaming her lungs out.
    The Moore and Walken exchange in How's
    Office is very good.
    Watching FRWL.

The opening sequence makes me wonder how the poor bloke garotted came to wearing a Bond mask.

Fantastic titles too.
    Straight away this feels far “bigger” and more cinematic than Dr. No with that establishing shot of Venice straight after the titles.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Fantastic titles too.
    I love the titles for FRWL. It goes so well with the instrumental, slightly peppier version of Monro's song (which I actually prefer to the vocal version which bookends the film). The bit when it segues into the Bond theme towards the end is particularly good.
    “Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one”
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Best titles of the whole series I feel
    I love the atmosphere of this film. Little moments like Tatiana walking through the cobbled alleyways to meet Klebb.