The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

patb wrote: »
    I think the Church of England may also want to see it as they have not included it in any of their courses that I have attended. It would save everyone considerable time.

The Catholic Church too. Even their historians don't consider say the story of the Nativity as told in the Bible as factual.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I think the Church of England may also want to see it as they have not included it in any of their courses that I have attended. It would save everyone considerable time.

The Catholic Church too. Even their historians don't consider say the story of the Nativity as told in the Bible as factual.

But hang on. Draggers just said:
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The point isn’t evidence, it’s about having faith. If there was strong evidence to prove the religion, everyone would join.

Well, yes, that is what it boils down to.

I will ask again a question I asked before: what's the difference between an existing God and an inexistant God if the only way you determine said existence is by faith alone?

Well there is the Bible, for a start. Biblical archaeology has proved a lot of things too. There are many books on the subject that are well worth reading.

So, it's not just a case of blind faith alone. The Bible is a history book in part too. It's a whole series of books collected together, in fact. It's very easy to forget that at times.There is evidence out there too that proves it is factually correct.

So either the Bible is a historical record of fact or stuff like the Garden of Eden are the burning bush are allegories and shouldn't be taken literally. Which is it?

I'm a little confused.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,898

The point isn’t evidence, it’s about having faith. If there was strong evidence to prove the religion, everyone would join.

I will ask again a question I asked before: what's the difference between an existing God and an inexistant God if the only way you determine said existence is by faith alone?

Well there is the Bible, for a start. Biblical archaeology has proved a lot of things too. There are many books on the subject that are well worth reading.

So, it's not just a case of blind faith alone. The Bible is a history book in part too. It's a whole series of books collected together, in fact. It's very easy to forget that at times.There is evidence out there too that proves it is factually correct.

So either the Bible is a historical record of fact or stuff like the Garden of Eden are the burning bush are allegories and shouldn't be taken literally. Which is it?

I'm a little confused.

I'm not a Catholic so I don't follow their revisionist views. Either you take the whole book, or you leave it altogether. That's my view. You can't pick and choose which bits to believe to follow, but many do of course.

I'm a little confused.

I'm not a Catholic so I don't follow their revisionist views. Either you take the whole book, or you leave it altogether. That's my view. You can't pick and choose which bits to believe it follow, but many do of course.

The Catholic Church (for the followers that's another story) has done so for one reason: they have been proven wrong and their back was against the wall. You can take the whole book as true, but the whole book has been factually wrong, starting with Genesis. You're placing your beliefs against proven facts.

I'm a little confused.

Either you take the whole book, or you leave it altogether. That's my view. You can't pick and choose which bits to believe it follow, but many do of course.

So which way do you lean? Your prevarication used to be a convincing act Draggers. It's wearing a little thin now. (Cocks Walther) Make your choice.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I'm a little confused.

I'm not a Catholic so I don't follow their revisionist views. Either you take the whole book, or you leave it altogether. That's my view. You can't pick and choose which bits to believe it follow, but many do of course.

Do you read newspapers the same way?

I'm a little confused.

Either you take the whole book, or you leave it altogether. That's my view. You can't pick and choose which bits to believe it follow, but many do of course.

So which way do you lean? Your prevarication used to be a convincing act Draggers. It's wearing a little thin now. (Cocks Walther) Make your choice.

I don't believe that I did prevaricate however.

I'm a little confused.

So from your above comments, and as a believer, you are happy to go on record and state you believe a book that contains such tales as a talking snake, a bloke living inside a whale for 3 days, people routinely rising from the dead and a man that lives for 936 years is true?

I'm a little confused.

So from your above comments, and as a believer, you are happy to go on record and state you believe a book that contains such tales as a talking snake, a bloke living inside a whale for 3 days, people routinely rising from the dead and a man that lives for 936 years is true?

Yes.

I'm a little confused.

Yes.

But you think you are sane?

I'm a little confused.

Yes.

I'll leave that up to you to decide. It says that all things are possible with God.

I'm a little confused.

Yes.

I'll leave that up to you to decide. It says that all things are possible with God.

Jesus (no pun intended).
    I agree, all things are possible with God. Thats the nature of God. But unless there is proof that there is a God, then the talking snake etc etc is useless,

so we come back to a humble request for proof that this particualr God exists.
    What troubles me is that in 2018 we have people openly admitting they believe in talking snakes but if I call them out as imbeciles or mentally ill the mods would swiftly shut me down as the law states that they have to be respected.

When are we as a species going to wake up?
  • I wouldn't call people who embrace religion as imbeciles or mentally ill. I would say, however, that they are people that are incapable of critical thinking.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I wouldn't call people who embrace religion as imbeciles or mentally ill. I would say, however, that they are people that are incapable of critical thinking.

Not all Christians are incapable of it. My late father always said that it was important to doubt things too, but then he was called Thomas and we all know about his namesake in the Bible I am sure.
    Ok an easy one: any evidence for ANY of these claims? Pick any one you like.

Start with the talking snake.

I think that bears repetition - A. Talking. F**king. Snake!! =)) =)) =))

How are we even having a serious debate about this?

I see you are a Partridge fan, like myself.

Never seen John Kerry on tv?

No I'd say let him choose whichever he wants to make things easy. Could be the Virgin birth, the Flood, the Exodus, the Census, the existence of Barabbas... Anything.

No I'd say let him choose whichever he wants to make things easy. Could be the Virgin birth, the Flood, the Exodus, the Census, the existence of Barabbas... Anything.

Yeah but then he'd just choose something credible like a preacher called Jesus existing in Judea around 30AD.

That's a bit dull for me. I want to see talking snakes please.

It's quite ridiculous I'm sure you'll agree?

Oh. I kind of always assumed they would speak English.

Yeah but then he'd just choose something credible like a preacher called Jesus existing in Judea around 30AD.

Even Jesus's existence is debatable and not absolutely proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. Every single one of the stories about him are at best questionable and many of them we can safely say they were fabricated.

Even Jesus's existence is debatable and not absolutely proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. Every single one of the stories about him are at best questionable and many of them we can safely say they were fabricated.

Well you say that but:
    The Bible is a history book in part too. It's a whole series of books collected together, in fact. It's very easy to forget that at times.There is evidence out there too that proves it is factually correct.

Good enough for me.
    Well if it is 100% true it must easily be proven but let's start with one thing. One extraordinary claim that has been demonstrated.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837

I'm a little confused.

I'm not a Catholic so I don't follow their revisionist views. Either you take the whole book, or you leave it altogether. That's my view. You can't pick and choose which bits to believe to follow, but many do of course.

I think that mindset is really damaging. The Bible, the Quran (I know you won't like me equating them but I'm sorry, there's no difference; Islam might be the big bad at the moment but plenty of atrocities have been commited by Christians), all those texts were written thousands of years ago. I'm not as anti religion on here as some because I know it offers a lot of people comfort and I wouldn't want to begrudge them that but following thousands of years old teachings to the letter is only going to end in disaster. Even ignoring the stuff that's been proven scientifically wrong, there's the moral side of it. Put to death the gays kill all the heretics etc.

If you're going to follow the bible or any equivalent then don't take it all so literally. Embrace the positive messages, write off the more troubling passages as being very outdated, and recognise that it's the religious who have to change and reconcile their views/practises to fit in with society rather than the other way round.

That's what my adoptive mum does and I think she's a shining example of how all religious people should conduct themselves. Generally keeps it to herself and takes it as more metaphorical. Likes to believe that there's a higher power and that there's an afterlife but doesn't let that stop her living her life the best she can (I mean if you pray for forgiveness on your deathbed you're sweet no matter what right?), goes to Church around Christmas and Easter time because she thinks it's a nice tradition and brings her a bit of happiness, but realises the bible was written in a very different, unenlightened world and doesn't let it dictate every aspect of her life.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Who decides which bits are true and which bit's should not be taken literally? And why should some parts not be taken literally? Once you go down that route, the whole thing is undermined IMHO. Perhaps God should not be taken literally? Perhaps Jesus is not literally God's son? Perhaps Mary was not literally a virgin? Perhaps there literally is no heaven? Perhaps the whole thing is fiction?

You can't have your cake and eat it. Something is either true or false. We owe it to ourselves to have the self respect to work things out. Not turn a blind eye to the talking snake, the wine trick etc etc. We dont give science that luxury. There is no reason why religious text should get off so lightly.

Christmas and Easter are like Halloween to me. Happy to have the extra food in the knowledge that its all fiction.
    @patb and this is true even of literalists: no fundamentalist Christian, or not many, would say it's ok to own slaves, to cut the hands of thieves, to have a rapist marry his victim, etc.
This discussion has been closed.