Grumpy M / Grumpy Q .....Happy M / Happy Q

Just as the title says fellow Bond nerds,which films are M & Q's grumpiest and their happiest ?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Man with The Golden Gun has M at his grumpiest. Q? That must either be Octopussy or The World Is Not Enough.
    M is a grumpy bugger in OHMSS as well now that I think about it.
    Happy Q would probably be DAF or LTK,Bond gets on with him fine in those 2 films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think that everyone (the MI6 staff most especially) is particularly ill-tempered and grumpy in The Man with the Golden Gun! There must have been something in the water at the time!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Happy Q would probably be DAF or LTK,Bond gets on with him fine in those 2 films.
    As well as in GE.

I think M was grumpier in TMWTGG than in OHMSS, but that’s a close second. The happiest I would imagine him was in TSWLM and MR equally.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I think that everyone (the MI6 staff most especially) is particularly ill-tempered and grumpy in The Man with the Golden Gun! There must have been something in the water at the time!

Being in that film maybe?
    Ludovico wrote: »

Ha ha, it could be that, but it's the script I guess is to blame for it. It certainly didn't come from the source novel, but then neither did very much else I suppose!
    Ludovico wrote: »

Ouch !

• Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    One of my favorites TMWTGG shows Bernard Lee at his best comedic self.

M: Oh, Q! Shut up

a short while later

M: Oh, shut up, Q!

Besides showing his dismay in general about the operation, these two outbursts towards Q surprised me the most, must be the only time ever M actually is irritated by Q.
    That, and in Spectre.

M: "Please tell me 007 is in London."
    Q: "Oh... yes... I'll just take a look, sir."
    M: "...Because if he isn't, you're in deep sh*t."
    Q: (throws a nervous chortle)
    M: "You've got precisely ten seconds."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Happy M, is that short for Happy Mondays?

Happy M on days.
    Happy M on ice.
    Happy M on ice.
    I didn't realize what happened to her in that Scottish chapel would make her happy... But, I guess it's different strokes for different folks.
    I meant that Happy M has been on ice for quite some time. Four decades.
    Ah, that is true.
    At first I thought the thread was going to present some sort of equation between the grumpiness and happiness of M and Q. ;)
    Carrying on from the controversial thread i agree with @Thunderfinger that the Q scene in NSNA is awful,and,IMO i like Cleese as Q in DAD and think if he was given another film might have developed into a pretty good Q.

He had the grumpyness and the quick sharp-cutting comebacks to Bond's comments spot on,even beating Bond in a few of the comebacks.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    M in TMWTGG is the grumpiest yet. Like he hasn't taken a decent poo in weeks.

Q - YOLT having to be brought halfway across the world.
    Cleese was one of the few good things about DAD, but perhaps not his scenes per se. He was better in TWINE.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Cleese was one of the few good things about DAD, but perhaps not his scenes per se. He was better in TWINE.

Do you think so ? i just thought he was Basil Fawlty ,and the 'popper' and 'zipper' Americanisms i find disgusting.
    I like Basil.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I like Basil.

Hahahaha me too....a comedy legend,unless you mean the herb,not too keen on that,can overpower a meal unless used in moderation. .
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,879
    TB Q

I always find Q's mood in TB to be interesting and the overall interaction quite amusing. Every time Bond annoys him, he doesn't stay annoyed for long, and quickly bounces back to his jovial self:

Bond: "Oh, no."
    Happy Q: "Ah, 007."
    Bond: "What a wonderful surprise."
    Happy Q: "For me too."
    Slightly grumpy Q: "I must say, I find this business of equipping you in the field, on the run, as it were...highly irregular."

(Bond puts his hat on the turbo scuba tank, to which grumpy Q promptly takes it off)

Happy Q: "Here we have a Geiger counter. Useful and unobtrusive. The sweep hand takes the radioactivity count. It's waterproof, of course."
    Bond: "But of course."

(Q gives Bond a look of annoyance)

Happy Q: "Now here's something I want you to use with special care."

(Bond switches the turbo scuba tank light on and off repeatedly, to which grumpy Q promptly switches it off)

Grumpy Q: "With special care!"
    Bond: "Everything you give me-"
    Grumpy Q: "Is treated with equal contempt, yes I know..."
    Happy Q: "...But that's an underwater camera. It takes eight pictures in rapid succession by pressing that button."
    Bond: "Is that clever?"
    Grumpy Q: "If it can take pictures in the dark with an infrared film, yes!"

(Bond switches the turbo scuba tank propeller on, to which grumpy Q promptly switches it off)

Grumpy Q: "Try to be a little less than your usual frivolous self, 007."
    Happy Q: "Now here's a miniature pistol which fires a bright red flare. You should keep it on you day and night."
    Bond: "I resent that remark."

(Bond pretends (or prepares!) to fire the flare, to which grumpy Q promptly snatches it back)

Grumpy Q: "Here! Look, do you mind?"
    Happy Q: "If a rebreather isn't available, you can use this device. For short periods only, of course. Say about four minutes."
    Bond: "Clever.
    Happy Q: "Obviously you'd only use it as a last resort. It closes to a convenient pocket-size."
    Bond: "That's assuming one has a convenient pocket."
    Happy Q: "Now pay attention. A recently developed harmless radioactive device..."
    Bond: "Harmless."
    Happy Q: "...Which sends out a homing signal to a special receiver."
    Bond: "What am I supposed to do with this?"
    Grumpy Q: "Well, obviously you...swallow it."
    Bond: "Now?

(off screen, Q gives Bond a look of annoyance, then bounces back to his jovial self?)

The verdict:

Despite Bond's constant stirring, it is clear the Major is determined to stay in a good mood.

Therefore, TB Q = Happy Q :)
    Good job.

Bond and Q are like family. Q isn t afraid to snap at him, but annoyances are quickly forgotten.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Brilliant stuff @QBranch in one of my favourite Bond/Q scenes...you have that spot on.
    And Bond and Q (Desmond's Q) have always been like a family,as Thundy says,and for me Q is the only person who can truly tell Bond off.(Apart from Kinkade.)
    Brilliant stuff @QBranch in one of my favourite Bond/Q scenes...you have that spot on.
    And Bond and Q (Desmond's Q) have always been like a family,as Thundy says,and for me Q is the only person who can truly tell Bond off.(Apart from Kinkade.)

And M.

And M.

Of course...goes without saying !
    Cheers guys. And I also love Bond's reactions in that scene. You can see he has a subtle smirk on his face whenever Q isn't looking at him. Notice directly after the "convenient pocket" line, Q gives Bond an interesting look that I can't quite describe. I think Q found that line clever, but didn't have time to process it properly as he moved on to the next piece of equipment. The following shot shows Sean looking directly at Q with a smirk and smarmy look in his eyes, as if he was just laughing.

But Bond constantly fiddling with the scuba tank is for me the funniest moment in that entire scene. Q keeps switching it off, and each time Bond is like WTF? :))
    QBranch wrote: »
    Cheers guys. And I also love Bond's reactions in that scene. You can see he has a subtle smirk on his face whenever Q isn't looking at him. Notice directly after the "convenient pocket" line, Q gives Bond an interesting look that I can't quite describe. I think Q found that line clever, but didn't have time to process it properly as he moved on to the next piece of equipment. The following shot shows Sean looking directly at Q with a smirk and smarmy look in his eyes, as if he was just laughing.

But Bond constantly fiddling with the scuba tank is for me the funniest moment in that entire scene. Q keeps switching it off, and each time Bond is like WTF? :))

For me its the :"well obviously...you swallow it"

"Now ? "

So good and makes me genuinely LOL !!
    I only noticed early this year, that there are two different homing pills in that scene- a continuity error. The one Bond holds in the close-up is the prop we know, with half white and half clear yellow. However, in the long shots, when Q initially hands the pill to Bond- and then when Bond says "Now?", it is a regular pill capsule with one end white, one end blue.

homing pill: https://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Thunderball/images/Thunderball-328.jpg

regular pill: https://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Thunderball/images/Thunderball-327.jpg

pill.png
    medicine-green-yellow-pills-capsules-260nw-458232868.jpg