Grumpy M / Grumpy Q .....Happy M / Happy Q

2»

Comments

Typical Q...always observant.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @QBranch , you are truly the props and dialogue expert here, among other things.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Happy Q: "I have pills for everything. Some make you alert."
    @QBranch , you are truly the props and dialogue expert here, among other things.
    And you are an expert flatterer!
    QBranch wrote: »
    Happy Q: "I have pills for everything. Some make you alert."
    And you are an expert flatterer!

Can some make England win the WC Q ???!!
    You only win once, Mr Barry.

I will bear that in mind Q...now give me a watch that makes any sexy woman want me.

(Oh bugger ,i'm married again...scrub that).

I will bear that in mind Q...now give me a watch that makes any sexy woman want me.

Your wife resents that remark. You make it sound like she isn t sexyful.

Well she is in the Philippines at the moment so i can get away with it .

They may have internet there as well.

They may have internet there as well.

Bugger.
    At St. Cyril's:

Bond: "Forgive me, father, for I have sinned."

Grumpy Q: "That's putting it mildly, 007 - two PPKs lost in one mission! Unless Walther come out with a new model and beg us to promote it for free next time, you're gonna start paying for the equipment."
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    In CR, during the scene in M's home, M is truly pissed at Bond. That's probably the worst he got. We see her frustration start building before that, after her MI6 meeting. At the end of the film of course she's calm.

I just viewed the scene with M and Bond in TMWTGG, and I don't know that M is that grumpy in it. Yes there's his reply about who would want to kill Bond. But even though he gives a different excuse, I think he relieves Bond of his current assignment solely so Bond can hunt down Scaramanga, and you can tell he hopes Bond will come to this conclusion too, which he does. The nature of their relationship.

Not totally in line with the grumpy/happy theme, but last night I watched TLD and couldn't help noticing what seems like the advanced age of M Robert Brown (66) together with Minister of Defence Geoffrey Keen (71) in contrast with Dalton, 41. And Q (73), who even pops a pill on the rooftop Harrier flight pad; I don't think they should've shown him doing that. Also in contrast now with the younger Ralph Fiennes and Ben Whishaw. Of course in TMWTGG, Bernard Lee was also 66, but he didn't seem too old and was plenty sharp.
    How about grumpy Sir Frederick Gray? He seems grumpy in every film - especially FYEO with all the 'hmmm'ing, which is understandable considering the circumstances.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sir Frederick Gray is an odd one. He entered the series in 1977 when Labour lead the country under James Callaghan, but continued all the way through the 80’s, last seen in 1987 when the Conservative party under Margaret Thatcher were in power. I can only think that Freddie jumped ship to the ‘Iron lady’ when she came to power.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    How about grumpy Sir Frederick Gray? He seems grumpy in every film - especially FYEO with all the 'hmmm'ing, which is understandable considering the circumstances.
    Benny wrote: »
    Sir Frederick Gray is an odd one. He entered the series in 1977 when Labour lead the country under James Callaghan, but continued all the way through the 80’s, last seen in 1987 when the Conservative party under Margaret Thatcher were in power. I can only think that Freddie jumped ship to the ‘Iron lady’ when she came to power.
    He and Bond start off rather chummy in TSWLM--Bond calls him "Freddie". But by the end of the film, their working relationship gets more rocky, perhaps because he and others see Bond and Anya getting it on in the escape pod. The James Bond Wiki says "This embarrassment might explain the apparent souring of his relationship with Bond, who thereafter is treated formally and/or disdainfully". And of course they play on that sense of embarrassment in MR. Perhaps the character's used as the government's voice of criticism against Bond, usually letting M sound a bit more lenient toward him, kind of like the old "good cop bad cop" routine.

Trivia: Geoffrey Keen was in an episode of The Saint in 1964, and on the other Roger Moore series The Persuaders! in 1971. One of many other films he was in was Storm Over the Nile (1955). Never heard of it before, but it was co-directed by Terence Young and co-starred Christopher Lee.