Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

mattjoes wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    jez-us, @mattjoes -- PB's neck looks like the skinnier version of Jabba's there, no??

@peter Pain face acting takes its toll on the body. ;)

Whereas Dan's Pout face acting takes its toll on the soul. Have you seen some of the comments he's made in the press lately?

No,what's he said now ?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    barryt007 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    jez-us, @mattjoes -- PB's neck looks like the skinnier version of Jabba's there, no??

@peter Pain face acting takes its toll on the body. ;)

Whereas Dan's Pout face acting takes its toll on the soul. Have you seen some of the comments he's made in the press lately?

No,what's he said now ?

I was referring to wristgate.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ... and, @mattjoes , I hear it takes a toll on laundry services as well (especially in the undergarments section)...
    PainfaceGE5.jpg

0RX3zXt.png

mugen008.png

Throw in Dalton's open-mouthed wide eyed expression when the swordfish narrowly misses him in the bar too.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Speaking of enjoying MR, I continue to believe that Roger played Bond perfectly in accordance with his source material. People make his performance in MR out to be something like Connery in YOLT or DAF, but I couldn't disagree more. Moore always cared about playing Bond, and he always took the job seriously. It's just in MR, that job involved taking Bond less seriously, so he played Bond as comically invincible to match the OTT tone.

Skip two years to FYEO, where Bond goes back to basics and has more in line with Fleming's source material, you see Roger playing it more down-to-earth and human. It was really just the nature of the material he was given, which was often campy. But Roger always matched the requirements. To me, that's a good justification for why he's 2nd only to Connery as Bond. Nobody has really matched his diversity in the role. For instance, Pierce Brosnan had little to no variation across his four films even as they got increasingly OTT and campy. So there's some sort of disunity there and I believe it plays into our more negative reception towards his performance.

You're right. It's a campy Bond film and Moore plays it more camp. The problem is the film and him are almost too camp.

The only Roger performance that felt more phoned in to me was AVTAK. Watching him with that blonde bird in the iceburg, something was off about his performance. It felt very much like Roger yet again putting on his suave act...but without the enthusiasm.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    PainfaceGE5.jpg

0RX3zXt.png

mugen008.png

Throw in Dalton's open-mouthed wide eyed expression when the swordfish narrowly misses him in the bar too.

That is one minor instance, Brosnans Pain Face and Craigs pout happen more than once, and in each of their films.
    PainfaceGE5.jpg

0RX3zXt.png

mugen008.png

That is one minor instance, Brosnans Pain Face and Craigs pout happen more than once, and in each of their films.

Brozza' pain face yes but I don't remember Craig making that expression in any of his other films besides SP.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He flashes that pouty face after the world's most iconic delivery of "OF COURSE, Mr. White!" in SP.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That face only appears a few times but the idiotic smirk he does is more commonplace, as is the 'snarl' (I hope he doesn't attempt either in B25).
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Remington wrote: »
    Two controversial opinions on the gunbarrels.
    .I actually like the bullet during the DAD gunbarrel. Didn't see it coming the first time. Just a one time thing.
    .I like the gunbarrel being at the end of QOS. It really shows Bond coming full circle. This makes SF' ending gunbarrel even more infuriating for me lol. The walk is too fast but I love the pose and that Bond walks away. The design isn't anything special but it's not terrible.

Defo controversial. I have to disagree.
    I don't mind the CGI bullet that much. I prefer without, though. That said, the rendition of the Bond Theme is strong enough in DAD for me to overlook the bullet.
    I cannot, however overlook the awful placement, design, blood, and film's title on the QOS gunbarrel and will probably hold a grudge for all eternity. I was hoping Skyfall would correct this...........but no. It was salt in the wound.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    PainfaceGE5.jpg

0RX3zXt.png

mugen008.png

Dalton has the wide eyed double take expression happen quite a few times. And the multiple times he grits his teeth weirdly.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I don't mind the CGI bullet that much. I prefer without, though. That said, the rendition of the Bond Theme is strong enough in DAD for me to overlook the bullet.
    I cannot, however overlook the awful placement, design, blood, and film's title on the QOS gunbarrel and will probably hold a grudge for all eternity. I was hoping Skyfall would correct this...........but no. It was salt in the wound.

I demand the gunbarrel be so realistic that the bullet tears through the screen on opening night, hitting me directly in the face. Go all in or don't bother!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I demand the gunbarrel be so realistic that the bullet tears through the screen on opening night, hitting me directly in the face. Go all in or don't bother!

You're going to have a bad time. :))
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

It's putting the gunbarrel at the end that bothers me the most!
    Murdock wrote: »

But I can guarantee you'll never find a more realistic movie scene than that!
    suavejmf wrote: »

It's putting the gunbarrel at the end that bothers me the most!

Me, too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Tell me about it! I used to love the Brosnan era, but the DAD gunbarrel bullet almost hit me. That s when the hatred began.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Quite frankly, I don't give a [insert your favourite expletive} about the gunbarrel if the movie is ok otherwise.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I must say that if these are the most controversial opinions we can up with at the end of 2017, I hope we still have something to talk about until we can legally tare down Bond25 {or praise it to the heavens) in 2019....
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm curious to see how B25 is received. Will the pendulum swing again, with those who disliked SP (count me among them) singing its praises and vice versa, or will it be a unanimous 'high' (as the lead presumes), or a PoS. Time will tell but it's going to be one of the most interesting 2 year waits in the franchise's history I'd guess.

Hopefully we don't end up tearing each other apart before it's over.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I really don't have a clue, but I know P&W are writing again which to me isn't a good sign. I hope at least they find (a) different (writers) for the dialogue. The actors sure do their best but beim gott the last few films (except QoS) had some pretentious writing.

Tell me about it! I used to love the Brosnan era, but the DAD gunbarrel bullet almost hit me. That s when the hatred began.

It was professional courtesy. ;)
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,361
    What is the opinion on the FYEO Citroën car chase? I actually like it.

It s awesome. It s one of the very best, and not just because it s fun. It is extremely well done.

It s awesome. It s one of the very best, and not just because it s fun. It is extremely well done.

This is my assessment exactly. Not only does how fun the chase is translate on screen, but both Moore and Bouquet seem to be having a blast, too.

Moore genuinely making her laugh always puts a smile on my face.

This is my assessment exactly. Not only does how fun the chase is translate on screen, but both Moore and Bouquet seem to be having a blast, too.

Moore genuinely making her laugh always puts a smile on my face.

And that reaction shot of Moore when he first sees her car? Hilarious!
    I agree. It's a very entertaining and intelligently conceived sequence. As a kid I actually disliked it because I was upset Bond's Lotus was blown up and there were no gadgets used. These days that's precisely the reason I enjoy the chase.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree. It's a very entertaining and intelligently conceived sequence. As a kid I actually disliked it because I was upset Bond's Lotus was blown up and there were no gadgets used. These days that's precisely the reason I enjoy the chase.

Best burglar alarm ever, and a terrific cameo by Bob Simmons.
  • I like the FYEO chase apart from the bit where the car flips and all the locals help while the bad guys get stuck in traffic. That always stuck out to me as a bit naff and pointless, kills the momentum, but the rest of it is great.