Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 7,500
    What is the opinion on the FYEO Citroën car chase? I actually like it.

You don't need to put an 'actually' there. It's a great scene! Best car chase in the franchise if you ask me...
    I like it too. The cheesy music makes it even better.
    I must say that if these are the most controversial opinions we can up with at the end of 2017, I hope we still have something to talk about until we can legally tare down Bond25 {or praise it to the heavens) in 2019....

OK. I didn't want to mention it for fear of repercussions, but Sean Connery was a good Bond. There, I said it!
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Ok a controversial opinion.

Prior to the Moore era, the Angel of Death scenes in OHMSS were the nearest we got to Carry On Bond.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Ok a controversial opinion.

Prior to the Moore era, the Angel of Death scenes in OHMSS were the nearest we got to Carry On Bond.

Probably the only thing in OHMSS that I don't like. I don't get why him being undercover meant he had to do the whole sexless nasally voiced nerd act. I do like the surreal vibe of those scenes though, with the trippy hypnosis bits.
    I don't like those girls. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like those girls, but they're uninteresting characters.
    If you replaced Ilsa Steppat with Hatti Jacques and Lazenby with Jim Dale we would be in a Carry On film (oh and if Ruby was played by Barbara Windsor).
    jobo wrote: »

You don't need to put an 'actually' there. It's a great scene! Best car chase in the franchise if you ask me...

Hmm...its a fun, well done chase certainly but I think the "best" is probably TSWLM (that car and the helicopter).

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    TSWLM is easily my favourite of the series as well. To this day it's a pleasure to view that entire sequence. I actually look forward to it whenever I put the film on, and have done so since I was a kid. It's beautifully filmed and sequenced and Moore is in excellent, determined form. From the point of intro of the car by Q to Bond dropping the fish out of the window is just brilliant (including the detour to Stromberg's lair).
    Its lovely cinema isn't it. Stands up very well (all except the fish bit).
    Its lovely cinema isn't it. Stands up very well (all except the fish bit).
    Beautiful cinema indeed. Including Naomi and the ride to Atlantis. TSWLM is a majestic film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The finale of LTK is a pretty impressive chase too if you ask me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Paris car chase in AVTAK is excellent as well.

Hmm...its a fun, well done chase certainly but I think the "best" is probably TSWLM (that car and the helicopter).

Not my cup of tea. It's just Bond pushing buttons showing of his gadgets on a comfortable road, and it drags pretty quickly for me. I don't get the sense that Bond is in real danger sitting there comfirtably behind armoured glass, and he doesn't really demonstrate any skill. That is a problem with many car chases in Bond actually...
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The TSWLM car chase is good but I agree with @jobo that Bond never really feels threatened in that scene except when the motorcycle rider fires the missile at the Lotus while Bond's trying to navigate his way through the trucks.

I definitely like the FYEO one. Shitty car, but he still beats his enemies through genuinely superior driving ability. Julian Glover mentioned how FYEO was a departure from other Bonds because it wasn't about Bond having plot device gadgets but how he could drive better, ski better, fight better etc. than anyone else.
    The TSWLM car chase is good but I agree with @jobo that Bond never really feels threatened in that scene except when the motorcycle rider fires the missile at the Lotus while Bond's trying to navigate his way through the trucks.

I definitely like the FYEO one. Shitty car, but he still beats his enemies through genuinely superior driving ability. Julian Glover mentioned how FYEO was a departure from other Bonds because it wasn't about Bond having plot device gadgets but how he could drive better, ski better, fight better etc. than anyone else.

Exactly! The action in FYEO is pretty much superb through out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Exactly! The action in FYEO is pretty much superb through out.

Besides OHMSS, the best in the series.
  • GBFGBF
    Agree... what about the DN car chase??
    GBF wrote: »
    Agree... what about the DN car chase??

It's short and simple. It is more about a moment of suspense than an extended, drawn out sequence. I like it
    They were on their way to a funeral..
    I actually found more danger in the TSWLM chase than I did the FYEO one, although I like both chases immensely.

At least on initial viewing, the series of threats that arrive in succession (bike, car, copter) are more threatening in progression, and the full scope of the car's abilities are unknown at that point. Only in time does the viewer realize that it's more than a standard white Lotus. This continues all the way to the point when it goes underwater. To this day that sense of danger exists for me and it's because of Anya's reactions. So even though I know all about the car now (and have done for decades) it's always a treat to see her panic while Bond keeps his cool, as he's only too aware of the hidden firepower at his disposal, waiting to be unleashed.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I actually found more danger in the TSWLM chase than I did the FYEO one, although I like both chases immensely.

At least on initial viewing, the series of threats that arrive in succession (bike, car, copter) are more threatening in progression, and the full scope of the car's abilities are unknown at that point. Only in time does the viewer realize that it's more than a standard white Lotus. This continues all the way to the point when it goes underwater. To this day that sense of danger exists for me and it's because of Anya's reactions. So even though I know all about the car now (and have done for decades) it's always a treat to see her panic while Bond keeps his cool, as he's only too aware of the hidden firepower at his disposal, waiting to be unleashed.

But how dangerous is that copter really? She fires at him endlessly... and it has no effect... zzz...

But how dangerous is that copter really? She fires at him endlessly... and it has no effect... zzz...
    Fair enough. There's always a chance that one could hit them though.

With that scene it's more the cinematography (along with that now iconic moment of the helicopter alongside the Lotus's bonnet at speed, which they tried to clumsily emulate during the SP chase), the flair and sexiness of having Naomi piloting it, and the really cool way Bond showcases the maneuverability of the car as he does a rope a dope and evades her.

The FYEO chase is more inventive, but I always feel there is more consequence in the TSWLM encounter, given the level of villain threat (Jaws, babe with guns in helicopter and missile powered bike).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

But why would she be afraid when she stole the blueprints of the car a year before? That remarks takes me out of the whole tension mode. I just don't like it, and Naomi doesn't seem too keen on killing them either, all smiles and giggles.

But why would she be afraid when she stole the blueprints of the car a year before? That remarks takes me out of the whole tension mode. I just don't like it, and Naomi doesn't seem too keen on killing them either, all smiles and giggles.
    Fair point on the blueprints but the remark arrives much later and underwater when the entire sequence is near its end. My take on that is that she only realized after the car hit the water that it was the one whose plans she had perused previously. I admit it's a stretch & a bit of suspension of disbelief is required.

Naomi was tasked with dispatching Bond but succumbed to his charms (who wouldn't), thereby giving him just enough time to take her out. Work with me here.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    The way Bond ruthlessly dispatches Naomi is a good moment,showing Bond's dark side.

I think re Anya and the blueprints,it was just the intial shock of the car smashing into the sea was the reason she exclaimed.
    Also,she might have stolen the blueprints but she didn't know MI6 had actually made the car.
    The Spy one feels far more iconic I think. The music, the shot of the helicopter appearing alongside the car as its driving at high speed and of course the shot of the car flying off the pier with the helicopter behind it. Great stuff.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 7,500
    Well... we all know Anya is afraid of water... And such a competent spy... sigh...
    Well... we all know Anya is afraid of water... And such a competent spy... sigh...

Even if she did "see the blueprints", doesn't mean she wouldn't still be slightly terrified when the car drove into deep water at high speed unexpectedly.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    hahaha @bondjames love th explanation, but I'm afraid it just doesn't work for me. Each his own ;-)