Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 6,601
    BTW - welcome to 007 Roger Moore and Dalton/Craig to this thread. Does anybody notice, they are running this thing with their opinions? Just saying... :)) Pushing Roger Moore and Dalton into being the best since sliced bread is..well...and that comes from a Roger fan (me)..but god he is not, nor are any of the others...never mind how hard you try. ..and I might voice, that I am late to the discussion, so dont*t ven start on me being even.
    BAIN123 wrote:

This is nothing against Pircee, his charmes never lay in his physicallity. But pushing him to be a well build man is overdoing it - that's all. He was never more then average with a charme of his own - more then many other men can call their own.

• edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    He went through a "fat" period in the early 2000s. Who know's what he's actually like in real life.

This interview always makes me chuckle though

There's also this:
    http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2011/11/13/daniel-s-fantastic-but-i-do-miss-pierce-says-dame-judi-102039-23557714/

I have a suspicion Dench preferred working with Brosnan than with Craig but, again, who knows.

My mum knows someone who's a paparazzi. She apparently said a certain Mr Craig isn't that nice in real life.

One thing is certain - Pierce can turn on the charm and light up the screen =D>
    BAIN123 wrote:
    There's also this:
    http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2011/11/13/daniel-s-fantastic-but-i-do-miss-pierce-says-dame-judi-102039-23557714/

I have a suspicion Dench preferred working with Brosnan than with Craig but, again, who knows.

My mum knows someone who's a paparazzi. She apparently said a certain Mr Craig isn't that nice in real life.

Wow, I had not come across that article. Even in the films too, I felt that Dench and Brosnan had more chemistry in their respective roles than Dench and Craig (who are still quite good together as well)

Just this - no paparazzi likes Craig, as he doesn't like them. Ask anybody, who has ever worked with him and you will get a very different opinion.
    Germanlady wrote:
    BTW - welcome to 007 Roger Moore and Dalton/Craig to this thread. Does anybody notice, they are running this thing with their opinions? Just saying... :)) Pushing Roger Moore and Dalton into being the best since sliced bread is..well...and that comes from a Roger fan (me)..but god he is not, nor are any of the others...never mind how hard you try. ..and I might voice, that I am late to the discussion, so dont*t ven start on me being even.

For Bond and movie making in general, Moore is god. In honor of his divine acting and personality, I have my username named after him.

Germanlady wrote:
    Just this - no paparazzi likes Craig, as he doesn't like them. Ask anybody, who has ever worked with him and you will get a very different opinion.

....Who does like "PAPS"...!!!! X_X
    I've seen many celebrities hounded and pushed about by these So called Photographer's, it must drive folks like DC made!!? 8-}
    Germanlady wrote:

For Bond and movie making in general, Moore is god. In honor of his divine acting and personality, I have my username named after him.

Why is it necessary to overdo it so much just to make a point? . I have made sveral posts here, saying that I like Moores Bond the best - still - I don't think he is a Bond god or an acting god - God no...

JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    There's also this:

Wow, I had not come across that article. Even in the films too, I felt that Dench and Brosnan had more chemistry in their respective roles than Dench and Craig (who are still quite good together as well)

I'm probably in the minority but, while Dench and Craig get on quite well, her and Broz seemed more compatable. Just the little smiles they gave one another was an indicator. Like in the PTS of TWINE when Bond's in her office and she says "care for a drink" with a smile. You can tell they were chummy.
    MrEon wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

....Who does like "PAPS"...!!!! X_X
    I've seen many celebrities hounded and pushed about by these So called Photographer's, it must drive folks like DC made!!? 8-}

I think some stars have a better relationship with paps than others though. Connery and Craig don't seem to be the paparazzi's best friends - ditto with Dalton. Moore seems to be a more accepting person. I suspect Brosnan just "plays the game". Tolerates the paps but isn't afraid to give them a subtle finger.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Why is it necessary to overdo it so much just to make a point? . I have made sveral posts here, saying that I like Moores Bond the best - still - I don't think he is a Bond god or an acting god - God no...

Why not? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and expressing it as they please. You could simply ignore it if it bothers you so. There's nothing wrong with someone being a superfan if that's their prerogative. In fact I enjoy the enthusiasm, being a Bond fan myself.

I´m not entirely serious, I put a lot of butter on the sandwich, but he is by far my favorite actor. Thanks for the welcome BTW.

I think they are all professionals, all likable people, so I assume, they worked well together. DC got a cake and Guinness from Judi after CR wrapped, probably Pierce got something too.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    There's also this:

I'm probably in the minority but, while Dench and Craig get on quite well, her and Broz seemed more compatable. Just the little smiles they gave one another was an indicator. Like in the PTS of TWINE when Bond's in her office and she says "care for a drink" with a smile. You can tell they were chummy.

....its called acting!!!

How are we to know how well they all got/get on, for me Dench is untouchable and one classy-lady who most prob loves both her Bonds!!! :x
    I´m not entirely serious, I put a lot of butter on the sandwich, but he is by far my favorite actor. Thanks for the welcome BTW.

Sure, we like the same man, but a Bond god or acting god he is not. Even Connery is not. Sorry...all just human folks..
    Germanlady wrote:
    I think they are all professionals, all likable people, so I assume, they worked well together. DC got a cake and Guinness from Judi after CR wrapped, probably Pierce got something too.

I'm sure Daniel and Dench get on well but I can't shake the feeling she misses Brosnan - heck the article even says she does and she described working with Pierce as "lovely" in her autobiography.

@MrEon

We don't. Its just a gut feeling I have. I remember her voicing her disapproval when Brosnan was let go.
    She says that she and Pierce do get on quite well from that article:

"He [Pierce] was a very warm man and always a lot of fun, always laughing and joking. Pierce was great to have around the set. We became close friends.

But you miss anyone you make a relationship with and you think at some point youll maybe cross paths again. And I did, with Pierce, in a play. If you get on with somebody well, you never really break that."

I suppose she WOULD say that about her co-star being the professional that she is but I still got the impression that the two got on when they had their scenes together.
    Brosnan is over blown, and is still sore at being let go by Eon!, hey PB get over it!!!
    For me he filled a gap, till we got the better Bond in DC!!? When I watch a PB Bond movie now I cant help but feel embarrassed at times as to what his doing and how he carries himself!!?
    L-)
    I had a very interesting conversation with an elderly lady recently who has strong connections with the Bond films and films in general from the 1960s onwards.

She met Brosnan many times, and worked with him, and adored him. She does not think much of Craig's Bond.

She had great stories about Burton, Harris et al.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Pushing Roger Moore and Dalton into being the best since sliced bread is..well...and that comes from a Roger fan (me)..but god he is not, nor are any of the others...never mind how hard you try...

Just wondering, what do you mean that we are pushing Dalton also into being the best since sliced bread? No offense of course, I´m just wondering if it was a typo, perhaps? I like Dalton, but not that much, and DC007 seems to think along those lines too. Or did you mean Moore and Brosnan?
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2012 Posts: 10,512
    MrEon wrote:
    Brosnan is over blown, and is still sore at being let go by Eon!, hey PB get over it!!!
    For me he filled a gap, till we got the better Bond in DC!!? When I watch a PB Bond movie now I cant help but feel embarrassed at times as to what his doing and how he carries himself!!?
    L-)

The problem Brosnan had is that he played Bond during a period that saw a massive acceleration in the production of popular cinema. Jurassic Park set a precedent in the early nineties that forced Bond to compete with an epic new genre of big budget films.

Before this, Bond sat comfortably alongside a smaller raft of movies that delivered spectacle and glamour and were 'event movies' of the time.

I think it's only recently dawned on the producers that you can't necessarily compete for fanboy money in these scale stakes alone but you can with 'character' and a genuine willingness to find something new in what had become, dare I say, slightly predictable fare.

I for one am a fan of every Bond actor (minus Lazenby) and think they all bring something unique to the part but I think the producers made the Brosnan era movies with the sensibilities of those that had gone before which is possibly why some people now look unfavourably upon them.

I think for Bond to continue being successful they realised they needed a dramatic gear change and the first peice of the jigsaw to be dispensed with was always going to be Brosnan. I really do think it's unfortunate for Brosnan as I do think he's a fantastic Bond and in different circumstances who knows what might have happened.

RC7 wrote:
    MrEon wrote:
    L-)

The problem Brosnan had is that he played Bond during a period that saw a massive acceleration in the production of popular cinema. Jurassic Park set a precedent in the early nineties that forced Bond to compete with an epic new genre of big budget films.

Before this, Bond sat comfortably alongside a smaller raft of movies that delivered spectacle and glamour and were 'event movies' of the time.

I think it's only recently dawned on the producers that you can't necessarily compete for fanboy money in these scale stakes alone but you can with 'character' and a genuine willingness to find something new in what had become, dare I say, slightly predictable fare.

I for one am a fan of every Bond actor (minus Lazenby) and think they all bring something unique to the part but I think the producers made the Brosnan era movies with the sensibilities of those that had gone before which is possibly why some people now look unfavourably upon them.

I think for Bond to continue being successful they realised they needed a dramatic gear change and the first peice of the jigsaw to be dispensed with was always going to be Brosnan. I really do think it's unfortunate for Brosnan as I do think he's a fantastic Bond and in different circumstances who knows what might have happened.

Excellent post. I think it's often overlooked in a post-Brosnan age the perspective of what the producers were going for at that time: big spectacular, pop-corn, action flics. This had been the tradition: Bond had always been at the cutting edge. Comparing the Brosnan films to DC films seems moot, because they were approached from different angles. I think the Brosnan films should be appreciated for what they were. Even in spite of that though, GE for example, still showed an example of Bond having some character depth with the beach scene with Natalya in particular.

MrEon wrote:
    L-)

Well for me he defined the role. Screw Sean Connery, as a lad it was all about Pierce. That's why I can't be too critical of him - even if most of his movies aren't great.
    Just wondering, what do you mean that we are pushing Dalton also into being the best since sliced bread? No offense of course, I´m just wondering if it was a typo, perhaps? I like Dalton, but not that much, and DC007 seems to think along those lines too. Or did you mean Moore and Brosnan?

Suppose, you got me there - I mixed them up. Yes, change Dalton with Pierce. ;)

Well for me he defined the role. Screw Sean Connery, as a lad it was all about Pierce. That's why I can't be too critical of him - even if most of his movies aren't great.

I really like this statement and think, it is true for many. Its not so much about the quality of a Bond film or its actor, but about the situation, you met him. I got that now - you defend, what you like - even for reasons, only you understand. We are all "guilty" of that.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Germanlady wrote:

Totally agree! Craig often states that he likes his private life to remain private.
    As would I if I was in his shoes, although I would probably of sparked a few of them paps out the way some of them shove cameras in people's faces.
    >:/
    BAIN123 wrote:
    MrEon wrote:
    L-)

i know this sounds controversial but i pefer Pierce over Connery- sure Pierce had some clungers (eg:DAD) but his films were pure escapism which lets face it it wouldnt be Bond without some escpaism
    002 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    MrEon wrote:
    L-)

i know this sounds controversial but i pefer Pierce over Connery- sure Pierce had some clungers (eg:DAD) but his films were pure escapism which lets face it it wouldnt be Bond without some escpaism

You are not alone when it comes to prefering Pierce over Sean, my friend. I really agree with the escapism part also.

Before I joined this forum, I had a lot of friends who grew up in the 70's and 80's who genuinely considered Moore their favorite Bond and a lot who thought Brosnan was pretty good. Again, what you grew up with has a lot to do with your preference.
    I grew up on Brosnan. When I was 8 until I was 12, Brosnan was the only Bond.
    After that it was Connery. After a couple of years hiatus I started watching Bond again and realized that Moore means more enjoyment, quality, more bla, bla, bla, the list goes on.
    He is number 1, and I think everybody should realize this ;)
    I could think about it until the cows come home and still not realize it

Sometimes it's hard to write at the risk of upsetting others feelings, that's not our intentions (usually) it's just that there will always be a tendency for disagreement

Are there room for more Bond controversial opinions though ?

How about I was the only one who found Carly Simon's and Sheena Easton's music all rather dull, bland and annoying even. No sense in lying

License to Kill should never have been as violent as it was and stayed on the path of a PG rating as always before, they could of added a James Bond story too while they were at it

The ending of Octopussy or last 20 minutes even is all rather boring and uninteresting. I usually switch off once Moore deactivates the bomb at the circus

The teaser of The World Is Not Enough was fine up until the hot air balloon bit, Brosnan hanging on for dear life and then rolling off that building to a silly drum roll. It spoilt a very good opening

If Desmond Llewelyn had not sadly died in that years car accident he could feasibly have continued in the Q role for Die Another Day and maybe just maybe Casino Royale with it if possible

Robert Brown was a most awful M and never should of been given the time of day

Caroline Bliss was wasted as Moneypenny and should of got more screen time, the 30 seconds or so for License To Kill was simply a bit rude