"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    that's that then

Aaaand 4-1, Lukaku. Zlatan getting the last 15 mins!

a rout.

They're playing Lukaku, Fellaini and Zlatan in a top three by the look of it, right now!

I would have turned it off by now.
    that's that then

a rout.

They're playing Lukaku, Fellaini and Zlatan in a top three by the look of it, right now!

4-1 in the end. Zlatan got a chance too, with his usual 'in the air'-kick. Impressive really, with his injury in mind.
    that's that then

a rout.

4-1 in the end. Zlatan got a chance too, with his usual 'in the air'-kick. Impressive really, with his injury in mind.

at st james' park ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Arsenal looked good value for the win today
    they certainly were
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,293
    that's that then

a rout.

at st james' park ?

No, no – at Old Trafford. That scoreline wasn't undeserved, but Newcastle wasn't as bad as the result looked like.
    they certainly were

Burnley away at Turf Moor next. Did not know what to expect today, sure don't know what to expect against Dyche's team. Burnley have looked fantastic so far this season. Today no different.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Newcastle carved out a few chances they did try to attack United I'll give them credit for that, good to see Ibra and Pogba back just got to keep winning and watch for City to slip up [-O<
    Another good win for Liverpool with Salah scoring 2 and another man of the match performance.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    001 wrote: »
    Another good win for Liverpool with Salah scoring 2 and another man of the match performance.

Yeah he's playing well. Seems a good bit of Business for once by us. I never said he was a shit player. The gripe I have is that we would get nowhere if he was the marquee signing which is obviously being proven correct.

'Qualify for the CL' they said and world class players are itching to join you. Maybe they are but if you don't spend the money to acquire them then you will get nowhere.

We are clinging onto the pack by one fingernail but they are all winning without breaking sweat whereas we are one Klavan/Minger/Moreno howler away from disaster. Top three sewn up and at best we are just about in the hunt for the last place in the CL which Spurs will comfortably beat us to.

With the non investment in the defence your mate Salah can score 50 this season - I'm glad for you that that's enough to make you happy. But we still won't come anywhere near a trophy because while it transpires that you can win stuff with kids, you certainly cannot with pub defenders.

In other news seems like a bloke in Zimbabwe got the wrong end of the stick when his mate said 'You fancy joining us on a protest against that despotic dictator who is driving us to ruin and refuses to relinquish power?'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/zimbabwean-anti-mugabe-demonstrators-take-11545289
    In other news seems like a bloke in Zimbabwe got the wrong end of the stick when his mate said 'You fancy joining us on a protest against that despotic dictator who is driving us to ruin and refuses to relinquish power?'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/zimbabwean-anti-mugabe-demonstrators-take-11545289

Reminds me of the video of that fan comparing Wenger to Mugabe. Ridiculous.

Well parasitic shareholders like Kronke bear comparisons with Grace Mugabe.

Well parasitic shareholders like Kronke bear comparisons with Grace Mugabe.

Hahaha – that is true! Kroenke and his people, and whatever shit is happening at board level worry me a whole lot more than Wenger.

Yeah he's playing well. Seems a good bit of Business for once by us. I never said he was a shit player. The gripe I have is that we would get nowhere if he was the marquee signing which is obviously being proven correct.

'Qualify for the CL' they said and world class players are itching to join you. Maybe they are but if you don't spend the money to acquire them then you will get nowhere.

We are clinging onto the pack by one fingernail but they are all winning without breaking sweat whereas we are one Klavan/Minger/Moreno howler away from disaster. Top three sewn up and at best we are just about in the hunt for the last place in the CL which Spurs will comfortably beat us to.

With the non investment in the defence your mate Salah can score 50 this season - I'm glad for you that that's enough to make you happy. But we still won't come anywhere near a trophy because while it transpires that you can win stuff with kids, you certainly cannot with pub defenders.

Your living in the Past dude.
    All you think about are the Liverpool teams from the 1980's.

My mate Salah IS a World class player, not a good bit of Business.
    Do you want to see him fail now ??????? YOU BASTARD :)

Salah now has nine league goals campaign, putting him one above Alvaro Morata, Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus and Harry Kane.

It also sees Salah topple Robbie Fowler's Liverpool record, who had scored eight goals in his first 12 league games for the Reds.

Other Liverpool signings:

Andrew Robertson is a Scottish professional footballer who plays as a defender for Premier League club Liverpool and the Scotland national team.

Daniel Ward is a Welsh professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Premier League club Liverpool and the Wales national team.

Alexander Mark David Oxlade-Chamberlain is an English professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Premier League club Liverpool and the England national team

I'm living by the standards set by Shanks, Paisley and Kenny. First is first, second is nowhere. I'm not going to apologise for not settling for mediocrity. If you're happy to keep plodding along as a midtable club I'm happy for you 'dude'.

Salah now has nine league goals campaign, putting him one above Alvaro Morata, Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus and Harry Kane.

If he manages to keep it up for a season and then the season after that he might be considered world class. Harry Kane has been doing it for 3 years now and people only just starting to consider that he might be world class. Too early to tell with Salah if its just a Michael Ricketts streak at the moment but look at who he's scored those record breaking goals against: Watford, Burnley, Leicester, West Ham and Southampton. One against an Arsenal team that delivered a performance that will go down in infamy and a pointless consolation goal against Spurs in a thrashing. You need to do it in bigger games than those to be regarded as world class I'm afraid.
    It also sees Salah topple Robbie Fowler's Liverpool record, who had scored eight goals in his first 12 league games for the Reds.

Now I know you're joking.

Andrew Robertson is a Scottish professional footballer who plays as a defender for Premier League club Liverpool and the Scotland national team.

Daniel Ward is a Welsh professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Premier League club Liverpool and the Wales national team.

Alexander Mark David Oxlade-Chamberlain is an English professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Premier League club Liverpool and the England national team

Not sure if you're still joking now or trying to make my point for me by higlighting just how abject our transfer business has been:

Salah- 35m: Did pretty well for Roma and has hit the ground running.

Robertson - 8m: Got relegated in his last team and not even good enough to oust Moreno. Hardly Maldini is he?

Ward - 100k (in 2012): Not really sure why you're including him as a 'signing' as hes been on our books for years and if he still cant command first team football ahead of the dross we have in goal then I don't think hes going to make it at the top.

Ox - 35m: Could barely get a game in a team as shambolic as Arsenal and that hasn't changed now. To be fair he is suffering from wasting his career under Wenger and I tend to think he's got a decent amount of talent so possibly could come good.

Solanke - Free: Might come good. Might not. Who knows? Suffice it to say the likes of City and PSG weren't beating his door down though.

Those are marquee signings are they for a team aspiring to compete for the title and in the CL and that has a defence that compares with a relegation team? Embarassing. Less than 80m spent in total when serious teams are spending that on one player.

Where's all that Sky money gone? We keep being told everyone has got 100m to spend. These charlatans are in 20m profit and thats before you start on any other revenue streams. Where is all the money going?

Easy to slag Kronke off but these are no different. All about leaching money out of clubs for Yank owners. Give me a dodgy Russian billionaire who's had people killed to cover up his theft of half of Russia's gas reserves and is using your club to launder his ill gotten gains but at least understands the prestige of owning one of Europe's elite clubs than a penny pinching Yank owner any day of the week.

I'm living by the standards set by Shanks, Paisley and Kenny. First is first, second is nowhere. I'm not going to apologise for not settling for mediocrity. If you're happy to keep plodding along as a midtable club I'm happy for you 'dude'.

If he manages to keep it up for a season and then the season after that he might be considered world class. Harry Kane has been doing it for 3 years now and people only just starting to consider that he might be world class. Too early to tell with Salah if its just a Michael Ricketts streak at the moment but look at who he's scored those record breaking goals against: Watford, Burnley, Leicester, West Ham and Southampton. One against an Arsenal team that delivered a performance that will go down in infamy and a pointless consolation goal against Spurs in a thrashing. You need to do it in bigger games than those to be regarded as world class I'm afraid.

Not sure if you're still joking now or trying to make my point for me by higlighting just how abject our transfer business has been:

Robertson - 8m: Got relegated in his last team and not even good enough to oust Moreno. Hardly Maldini is he?

Ward - 100k (in 2012): Not really sure why you're including him as a 'signing' as hes been on our books for years and if he still cant command first team football ahead of the dross we have in goal then I don't think hes going to make it at the top.

Ox - 35m: Could barely get a game in a team as shambolic as Arsenal and that hasn't changed now. To be fair he is suffering from wasting his career under Wenger and I tend to think he's got a decent amount of talent so possibly could come good.

Solanke - Free: Might come good. Might not. Who knows? Suffice it to say the likes of City and PSG weren't beating his door down though.

Those are marquee signings are they for a team aspiring to compete for the title and in the CL and that has a defence that compares with a relegation team? Embarassing. Less than 80m spent in total when serious teams are spending that on one player.

Where's all that Sky money gone? We keep being told everyone has got 100m to spend. These charlatans are in 20m profit and thats before you start on any other revenue streams. Where is all the money going?

Easy to slag Kronke off but these are no different. All about leaching money out of clubs for Yank owners. Give me a dodgy Russian billionaire who's had people killed to cover up his theft of half of Russia's gas reserves and is using your club to launder his ill gotten gains but at least understands the prestige of owning one of Europe's elite clubs than a penny pinching Yank owner any day of the week.

Boy are you sharp today. You're as sharp as a Chicken's Tooth.

Obviously you haven't seen Robertson and Ward play, have you ?

Well they played in the pre season games against Bayern munchen and co and Robertson starred for Liverpool but Klopp wants moreno to play and the Mug instead of Ward.
    And Robertson isn't too happy about not playing.

They also bought Keita from RB Leipzig for £60m but won't play until 2018.

Naby Keita is better than Liverpool pair Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino, says RB Leipzig sporting director.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-naby-keita-rb-leipzig-ralf-rangnick-best-ever-worked-with-a8017491.html

Read up Wiz Kid.

You're like a man u fan. You're living in the past like they are.

http://www.skysports.com/football/liverpool-vs-soton/373213

Salah's ninth league goal of the season - which saw him eclipse Robbie Fowler's record of eight in his first 12 Premier League games for the club,

Read up again Wiz Kid.

Well... in other news...

Barcelona have extended their lead down to the Madrid teams to 10 points! It us still early days, but such a lead has never been surmounted in modern La Liga history.
    jobo wrote: »
    Well... in other news...

Barcelona have extended their lead down to the Madrid teams to 10 points! It us still early days, but such a lead has never been surmounted in modern La Liga history.

And Ronaldo can't seem to score! Who would have thought!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117

Boy are you sharp today. You're as sharp as a Chicken's Tooth.

Obviously you haven't seen Robertson and Ward play, have you ?

Well they played in the pre season games against Bayern munchen and co and Robertson starred for Liverpool but Klopp wants moreno to play and the Mug instead of Ward.

Naby Keita is better than Liverpool pair Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino, says RB Leipzig sporting director.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-naby-keita-rb-leipzig-ralf-rangnick-best-ever-worked-with-a8017491.html

Read up Wiz Kid.

http://www.skysports.com/football/liverpool-vs-soton/373213

Salah's ninth league goal of the season - which saw him eclipse Robbie Fowler's record of eight in his first 12 Premier League games for the club,

Read up again Wiz Kid.

What is it I should be reading exactly? FSG Pravda which you seem to have swallowed hook, line, sinker, rod and copy of Angling Times? Although to be honest I think you might even be on their payroll.

Read up Wiz Kid.

I'm living in the past? No I'm living in the present. Quite specifically the 2017/18 season and I'm curious why you're telling me about a signing that will have zero impact on said season? Keita is as pertinent to this debate as Emilyn Hughes or Alan Hansen because they are going to kick as many balls in it as him.

Don't tell me about who they are going to buy next season or season 2025/26, tell me about who they bought THIS season to shore up the amount of goals we are hemorrhaging like the Tsarevich with an axe in his head. With 2 games a week now until Christmas, by Jan first we will very likely be about 7 or 8 points off 4th (forget 1st - that ship sailed when the transfer window slammed shut) so all we have to look forward to is the CL which you cannot win with a joke defence. In all seriousness if you offered me 5th and CL QF now I would bite your hand off.
    Robertson starred for Liverpool but Klopp wants moreno to play and the Mug instead of Ward.

To be fair you are correct in this instance. I saw Robertson play Burnley at Anfield a few months ago and to be fair he was a breath of fresh air just putting into row Z when under pressure unlike Moreno but Jurgen wants his players to dally on the ball until they lose possession so its no wonder he is not featuring.

Read up again Wiz Kid.

You keep repeating this stat like the more you say it the better he becomes. Jamie Vardy shat on Van Nistelrooy's record a few years ago. Is he world class?

An excerpt from Michael Ricketts wiki:
    'Ricketts continued scoring in his first season in the Premier League, hitting 15 goals by February'

With 13 more games till February it would appear that Salah is well on course to match Ricketts' haul. I just wonder how you are able to conclude that this certainly means he's world class when we look how the Ricketts story ended that season:

'Ricketts continued scoring in his first season in the Premier League, hitting 15 goals by February, and this form led to his call-up for England's friendly against The Netherlands in February 2002. Ricketts played 45 minutes in that game but failed to score, and subsequently did not score for Bolton again all season'

Now maybe Salah is world class - lets hope so given we have a dearth of anyone in that bracket - or maybe he is on a hot streak like Ricketts was and is just a solid premier league player? Who knows? But to label him world class on the strength of one reasonably decent season in Serie A and 12 games is laughably premature.

Here's someone who was world class:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/past-players/robbie-fowler

Read that 'kid' and then come back when Salah is pissing past that record.

Well... in other news...

How on earth is Zidane hanging onto his job? Blokes have been sacked for way less than this.
    Silva working his magic on this Watford team again. 1-0 up against West Ham after eleven minutes.
    Well... in other news...

And Ronaldo can't seem to score! Who would have thought!

Actually Ronaldo had a pretty bad season overall last year as well. He popped up during the spring and scored some important "TV-goals" in the final stages of the CL which secured him the reputation he needed, but for those who followed him regularly it was not a good year for him at all.

@TheWizardOfIce

The case with Zidane is quite interesting. He undoubtedly has delivered in terms of results, but the jury is out on wether he actually has made Real play very well. Usually when I watch them, I'm seldom impressed. Their attacking play is usually slow and too dependent on individual brilliance, and they are often vulnerable at the back. Yet, at the end of the day, they always seem to win when it matters. Two years in a row I have watched them through the autumn and winter and thought, this is neither impressive nor frightening, against top opposition they will be found out. Yet, when the final stages of the Champions League comes, everything has worked out for them. I actually don't think they play much worse this year than they did at the same time last year.

I am still unsure if Zidane has done such a great job at all. But he undoubtedly has created a strong unit and winning mentality through the strength of his personailty and reputation, which in itself is very valuable and has resulted in back to back CL titles. Although they have been arguably quite lucky and unconvincing at times, it's no doubt an impressive feat.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,575
    [/quote]

What is it I should be reading exactly? FSG Pravda which you seem to have swallowed hook, line, sinker, rod and copy of Angling Times? Although to be honest I think you might even be on their payroll.

Read up Wiz Kid.

I'm living in the past? No I'm living in the present. Quite specifically the 2017/18 season and I'm curious why you're telling me about a signing that will have zero impact on said season? Keita is as pertinent to this debate as Emilyn Hughes or Alan Hansen because they are going to kick as many balls in it as him.

Don't tell me about who they are going to buy next season or season 2025/26, tell me about who they bought THIS season to shore up the amount of goals we are hemorrhaging like the Tsarevich with an axe in his head. With 2 games a week now until Christmas, by Jan first we will very likely be about 7 or 8 points off 4th (forget 1st - that ship sailed when the transfer window slammed shut) so all we have to look forward to is the CL which you cannot win with a joke defence. In all seriousness if you offered me 5th and CL QF now I would bite your hand off.
    Robertson starred for Liverpool but Klopp wants moreno to play and the Mug instead of Ward.

To be fair you are correct in this instance. I saw Robertson play Burnley at Anfield a few months ago and to be fair he was a breath of fresh air just putting into row Z when under pressure unlike Moreno but Jurgen wants his players to dally on the ball until they lose possession so its no wonder he is not featuring.

Read up again Wiz Kid.

You keep repeating this stat like the more you say it the better he becomes. Jamie Vardy shat on Van Nistelrooy's record a few years ago. Is he world class?

An excerpt from Michael Ricketts wiki:
    'Ricketts continued scoring in his first season in the Premier League, hitting 15 goals by February'

With 13 more games till February it would appear that Salah is well on course to match Ricketts' haul. I just wonder how you are able to conclude that this certainly means he's world class when we look how the Ricketts story ended that season:

'Ricketts continued scoring in his first season in the Premier League, hitting 15 goals by February, and this form led to his call-up for England's friendly against The Netherlands in February 2002. Ricketts played 45 minutes in that game but failed to score, and subsequently did not score for Bolton again all season'

Now maybe Salah is world class - lets hope so given we have a dearth of anyone in that bracket - or maybe he is on a hot streak like Ricketts was and is just a solid premier league player? Who knows? But to label him world class on the strength of one reasonably decent season in Serie A and 12 games is laughably premature.

Here's someone who was world class:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/past-players/robbie-fowler

Read that 'kid' and then come back when Salah is pissing past that record.

Your obsession with Michael Ricketts amuses and frightens me. :)

2 Excellent seasons with Roma.
    Egypt Apps 56 (32) Goals Also.

The way he is playing no wonder when he joined Chelsea he had the nickname ,"the Egyptian Maradona"

Actually Liverpool were after him and willian at the same time but chelsea got them instead.

He's very passionate about playing for Liverpool from the interviews i've seen, and you can see it in the way he plays for us.

You should be cheering for him and enjoy the 3-0 win if you are a real Liverpool supporter like i am instead of behaving like a snob.

One game at a time, Junior. :)
    Rosenborg-Viking just started. Goal by Bendtner after seven minutes!
  • Pancies? Thinking about all the horror injuries and numerous fights on the field, I wouldn't say so. Faking injuries? Well, I guess it's much too easy to trick the refs.

Also, these two:
    vieira.gif?w=578&h=260
    Things were never boring with this duo playing.

lol? you call this a fight? NFL players would beat up any of those skinny 170 pounder soccer players.

also the superbowl is by far the most watched sport event on tv.
  • jobo wrote: »
    No reason to take petty, American nationalism seriously. At the end of the day football is a global phenomenon, followed with religious passion all over the globe. American Football is hardly even the most popular sport inside the US. So I'm not sure which is the most boring...

Football's popularity is groving rapidly in USA. Give it another 20/30 years, and I think football will have surpassed American football in popularity even there. How interesting can it be to watch guys in armor jump on top of each other in a wormhole, and then cheer every time your team has advanced ten meters?

i'd take trump over any coward liberal leaders in europe thank you, and soccer surpassing football in 20 years time LOL? that's the funniest thing i've read in a while thanks i guess, the superbowl is the most watched sport event in the world beating olympics. Soccer or european football is way behind golf, tennis,hockey,football,baseball,basketball, nascar just to name a few in marketing and popularity.

You can have a different opinion it's fine, but stop with the wishful thinking, you live in a utopia if you believe that.
    Rasputin wrote: »
    No reason to take petty, American nationalism seriously. At the end of the day football is a global phenomenon, followed with religious passion all over the globe. American Football is hardly even the most popular sport inside the US. So I'm not sure which is the most boring...

Football's popularity is groving rapidly in USA. Give it another 20/30 years, and I think football will have surpassed American football in popularity even there. How interesting can it be to watch guys in armor jump on top of each other in a wormhole, and then cheer every time your team has advanced ten meters?

i'd take trump over any coward liberal leaders in europe thank you, and soccer surpassing football in 20 years time LOL? that's the funniest thing i've read in a while thanks i guess, the superbowl is the most watched sport event in the world beating olympics. Soccer or european football is way behind golf, tennis,hockey,football,baseball,basketball, nascar just to name a few in marketing and popularity.

You can have a different opinion it's fine, but stop with the wishful thinking, you live in a utopia if you believe that.

Dont feed the troll and respond chaps. His infantile points are of less interest than even dear old 001's Salah fetish.

Your obsession with Michael Ricketts amuses and frightens me. :)

You're the one who seems to think 12 good games (well 9 - he went missing in the hammerings by City and Spurs and did nothing in the Utd borefest - but thats not to single him out they were all shit in those games) equates to world class. I'm just offering some perspective and saying it ain't necessarily so.
    2 Excellent seasons with Roma.

Hmm. 1 in 2 for Roma constitutes very good but your proper world class players (your Ronaldos, your Messis, your Agueros) are scoring significantly more than a goal every 180 mins.
    Egypt Apps 56 (32) Goals Also.

The way he is playing no wonder when he joined Chelsea he had the nickname ,"the Egyptian Maradona"

You went there? Really? A team that have just faced the might of Chad, Uganda, Congo and Ghana to get to the world cup? Is being big in Egpyt seriously the benchmark of world class now?
    You should be cheering for him and enjoy the 3-0 win if you are a real Liverpool supporter like i am instead of behaving like a snob.

I am cheering for him but he is not the problem. In fact he is papering over the cracks and in the second half of the season when fatigue sets in (an inevitability with Jurgen's system as we saw last season) this goal streak dries up we will be laid bare as the midtable team we are.

Difficult to enjoy the 3-0 win when a calamity is round the corner. 3-0 Huddersfield, 3-0 Southampton - oh what heady days of yore we are living through. Who have we got on saturday? Oh yeah Chelsea. If that ends up a 3-0 win to us then I'm happy to jump on board your Salah bandwagon and delude myself that we're going to win the league - but in the words of Les Dennis himself 'If its up there I'll give you the money myself.'
    Silva working his magic on this Watford team again. 1-0 up against West Ham after eleven minutes.

The Moyes effect kicking in immediately. Wonder if he'll come out in the press conference and say 'We are going down' like he did to inspire everyone at Sunderland?
  • this guy above admits defeats, since when actual facts are infantile points? doesn't make any sense, superbowl event isn't big i guess...lol
    2-0 in a solid performance. Should have scored many more than just the two, Rosenborg. The celebrations will continue throughout the evening, as Rosenborg will be getting the proof of winning the title!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 7,500
    this guy above admits defeats, since when actual facts are infantile points? doesn't make any sense, superbowl event isn't big i guess...lol

"Facts"?? What facts? None of your infantile points hold up.

http://www.biggestglobalsports.com/

http://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/03/top-10-most-watched-sports/

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/06/10-most-popular-sports-in-the-world/

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/06/top-10-most-popular-sports-in-the-world-by-participation/

As for your claim that the Super Bowl has the highest coverage...

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/super_bowl_myth_exposed_these.html

Oops...

Super Bowl is Even beaten by cricket finals. Now that's a LOL
    this guy above admits defeats, since when actual facts are infantile points? doesn't make any sense, superbowl event isn't big i guess...lol

"Facts"?? What facts? None of your infantile points hold up.

http://www.biggestglobalsports.com/

http://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/03/top-10-most-watched-sports/

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/06/10-most-popular-sports-in-the-world/

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/06/top-10-most-popular-sports-in-the-world-by-participation/

As for your claim that the Super Bowl has the highest coverage...

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/super_bowl_myth_exposed_these.html

Oops...

Just ignore him @jobo. Us getting annoyed and smashing him out of the park with facts is exactly what he wants.

Although the cricket one is pretty funny!

This is fantastic, haha!