Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Stevens isn't in the same league as Hiddleston imho. There's nothing remotely blunt about him I'm afraid.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    A year ago I also would've slammed down Hiddleston. But, he's grown on me ever since.
    @ClarkDevlin, folks mention The Night Manager (which is no doubt an excellent spy thriller), but it is High Rise where he shows what he really can do.

It's a very strange (trippy) film, but he's impressive in it, especially with Sienna Miller.
    I was willing to see that film for quite sometime now, @bondjames. But, with your recommendation, might go for it sooner.
    I was willing to see that film for quite sometime now, @bondjames. But, with your recommendation, might go for it sooner.
    I can recommend it for the performances of Hiddleston and Evans, but I caution you that it's really (and I mean really) strange. Therefore I hesitate to recommend it as a film.

It's an allegory of sorts. The first time I saw it I didn't know what the heck I'd just viewed. I recently revisited it after viewing the similarly disorienting & confusing Mother!, and was able to appreciate it much more.

Hiddleston has serious swagger and presence in that film though. He owns every minute on screen.
    I've yet to see Kong: Skull Island, as well. So maybe I'll watch them back to back.
    That's on Sky Cinema over Xmas, so I will have a look.
    I've yet to see Kong: Skull Island, as well. So maybe I'll watch them back to back.
    This is a really fun old school monster flick which I recommend (leave your brain at home), but I thought he was a little miscast in it. This could have benefited more from Hemsworth ruggedness instead. Having said that, his intro scene is pretty good.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is a really fun old school monster flick which I recommend (leave your brain at home), but I thought he was a little miscast in it. This could have benefited more from Hemsworth ruggedness instead. Having said that, his intro scene is pretty good.
    So basically like Roger Moore in Ffolkes.
    Yes, that's a decent analogy but not quite. Moore was a bit more credible because he was surrounded by Brits (except Perkins, who is hardly rugged). Hiddleston came across a bit 'proper' alongside all the Yanks around him in Kong. I'm being harsh though as he wasn't bad. I haven't seen him give a bad performance in anything, which is why I know Bond would be a piece of cake for him, especially if we want to go back to a 'thinking' Bond.

It's called 'North Sea Hijack' here in GB old chap.

Yes, that's a decent analogy but not quite. Moore was a bit more credible because he was surrounded by Brits (except Perkins, who is hardly rugged). Hiddleston came across a bit 'proper' alongside all the Yanks around him in Kong. I'm being harsh though as he wasn't bad. I haven't seen him give a bad performance in anything, which is why I know Bond would be a piece of cake for him, especially if we want to go back to a 'thinking' Bond.
    Although, from what I've read, Hiddleston wasn't playing a Yank, but a ex-SAS, wasn't he?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    It's called 'North Sea Hijack' here in GB old chap.
    Pardon me, old chap, but we the Yanks are ignorant on that front. ;)
    Although, from what I've read, Hiddleston wasn't playing a Yank, but a ex-SAS, wasn't he?
    Yes, that's right. So his characterization fit into the definition of who he was supposed to be. It's just that he is a very refined looking chap, and seemed a bit polished around actors like Jackson, Reilly, Whigham etc. However, that was indeed the part he was asked to play.

One more thing I should point out is that he appears to have very good working relationships with a lot of Hollywood heavy hitters (male and female actors). If they give it to him, I'm sure he can pull in some decent talent. Just google him and Chastain and you'll see what I mean.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I hate to say it, but Dan Stevens is still better than Hiddlekins.

They always said that Bond has a plain name, because he's a blunt instrument.

I can't think of him, and not remember that embarrassing Hiddlestunt he pulled with Trailer Shift.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Skull Island was a dreadful movie. Total garbage made for the brain-dead gamer generation. And Hiddleston was instantly forgettable as a wet lettuce playing an ex-SAS soldier. Can't recall the point of what an ex-SAS soldier was doing in Nam anyway? Probably pretending to be a mercenary, when there were no reason for a British mercenary to be there. There's certainly no official record on any Brits wanting to stick their oar into the conflict, even for blood money. It would have made more sense had Hiddleston played a Frenchman or an Aussie, but I suspect that might have proven to be a bit of a stretch for Hiddle's linguistic capabilities, hence why he played an English ex-SAS toff.

As @MajorDSmythe rightly points out, surely "Trailer Shift Gate" has put an end to Hiddleston's chances of ever being Bond?
    bondsum wrote: »
    It would have made more sense had Hiddleston played a Frenchman or an Aussie, but I suspect that might have proven to be a bit of a stretch for Hiddle's linguistic capabilities,
    Not quite.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is a good skill for a Bond actor.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Ha ha. Just had a look at those examples. Ok, I concede, the guy can actually speak several different languages. However, they're all sadly tainted by the same effete Hiddleston high-register tones, making him sound like a toff reading from a Berlitz guidebook. I still can't understand why he didn't play a French soldier of fortune in Skull Island.

PS. Are you on this site 24/7 @bondjames, or do you have an MI6 Forum chip inserted into your brain, granting you quick easy access to any posted responses?
    bondsum wrote: »
    PS. Are you on this site 24/7 @bondjames, or do you have an MI6 Forum chip inserted into your brain, granting you quick easy access to any posted responses?
    I'm logged in most of the time @bondsum (I don't have restrictions at work), and most specifically to correct the record when you take shots at Hiddleston, as you are wont to do.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I liked Skull Island. Fun little B movie, and I'm excited for Kong vs Godzilla.

I keep changing my mind on Hiddleston. I do like him but there is something very Toffy about him no matter how bulky or rough the characters he plays are. He could be good, especially as a Roger Moore type, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Cillian Murphy is one I thought of last night when I was watching the new Peaky Blinders. He just screams cool and dangerous in a lot of scenes. I've previously written him off because I thought his face just wasn't right for it but honestly I think he could be good enough to win people over despite that and with the amount of people obsessing over him on twitter I think he must have sex appeal even if I don't personally see it.

Fassbender is still my first choice though. I don't care if he's in his 40s. Give me two films with him over five with some skinny hipstery indie looking 30 year old any day.
    I'm seeing Skull Island as well as High Rise. Enough people's reviews here assured me of liking the film. If Skull is mindless no-brainer, I'm totally with it.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I'm seeing Skull Island as well as High Rise. Enough people's reviews here assured me of liking the film. If Skull is mindless no-brainer, I'm totally with it.

You shouldn’t be watching skull island dissecting it as a great piece of cinema but rather a fun thrill ride. Because that’s what it is.
  • I'm seeing Skull Island as well as High Rise. Enough people's reviews here assured me of liking the film. If Skull is mindless no-brainer, I'm totally with it.

You shouldn’t be watching skull island dissecting it as a great piece of cinema but rather a fun thrill ride. Because that’s what it is.

Yeah I found Godzilla disappointing but Skull Island I really enjoyed. I liked it a lot more than the 2005 one, which had some great moments but went on way too long imo.

I've no problem with it. Almost every film I like is simply a fun thrill ride. ;)
  • I'm seeing Skull Island as well as High Rise. Enough people's reviews here assured me of liking the film. If Skull is mindless no-brainer, I'm totally with it.

I've no problem with it. Almost every film I like is simply a fun thrill ride. ;)

You're not alone mate. Rambo 2 and 3 are unironically two of my favourite films.

You're not alone mate. Rambo 2 and 3 are unironically two of my favourite films.
    I love those two, as well! :D
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Having now seen the latest Thor, and the trailer for his next film, 12 Strong, I feel Hemsworth should be looked at as a strong contender.
  • Craig should/would stay for the last one which is in late 2019 so there won't be a new one till circa 2022 that's 5 years at the minimum , the "next one" can't be older than 35 right now, Aiden Turner is by far the best suggestion, he will look even better and hopefully more rugged in that development hell for the role ; he's perfect for the 2020's bond. everybody else are either too popular, too old or doesn't fit at all the bill.
  • bondsum wrote: »
    Ha ha. Just had a look at those examples. Ok, I concede, the guy can actually speak several different languages. However, they're all sadly tainted by the same effete Hiddleston high-register tones, making him sound like a toff reading from a Berlitz guidebook. I still can't understand why he didn't play a French soldier of fortune in Skull Island.

Says the one commenting by the boatload of lines...lol i see you more than anyone in the thread, i agree though hiddleston like elba maybe were first thoughts for the role but quickly wrecked their chances by horrible movies and off camera shitty persona
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Craig should/would stay for the last one which is in late 2019 so there won't be a new one till circa 2022 that's 5 years at the minimum , the "next one" can't be older than 35 right now, Aiden Turner is by far the best suggestion, he will look even better and hopefully more rugged in that development hell for the role ; he's perfect for the 2020's bond. everybody else are either too popular, too old or doesn't fit at all the bill.

I agree, Turner is a strong contender.