"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Another reason to make way for VAR!
    In that case lets hope Sweden make it !!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    In that case lets hope Sweden make it !!

A World Cup without Buffon will be strange, though. 50/50 for me – but Sweden should have that penalty given!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,295
    Forsberg has looked sharp in a difficult game so far for Sweden.

In other news: «Watford have rejected an approach from Everton for their highly-rated Portuguese manager Marco Silva.»

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41977289
    It would be a laugh if Italy would not qualify, I admit I would not have predicted that at all. Only a Swedish person would take that bet.
    Sweden are defending like heroes! Take note, Arsène!
    Sweden are defending like heroes! Take note, Arsène!

Definitely...reminds me of the night England got a 0-0 draw in Rome ,in the 'Battle of Rome'..
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Credit to Sweden they are battling
    5 minutes extra time.
    Bloody hell they have done it !!

A defensive masterclass by Sweden....welcome to the World Cup !!
    Sweden are through! Rosenborg beat AC Milan at San Siro 21 years ago, Sweden secure their place in the World Cup against Italy at the same stadium tonight!
    That is a shocker and one that can only be blamed on the Italians themselves.
    Italy arnt that good tbh.
    I feel sorry for Buffon but they had chances.

Sweden are a tough outfit,i hope England don't draw them in their group,when it is made next month.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    =D>
    Can we get Denmark in the World Cup as well? :D

Noooooo...Ireland !!

Noooooo...Ireland !!

Will be quite the match tomorrow!

Some moving pictures of Swedish players being interviewed. Second in their group behind France, above the Netherlands, and now beating Italy over two matches. Impressive!

Noooooo...Ireland !!

Some moving pictures of Swedish players being interviewed. Second in their group behind France, above the Netherlands, and now beating Italy over two matches. Impressive!

They could do some serious damage next year..

Noooooo...Ireland !!

Indeed. Can imagine Sweden doing a 'Burnley'; defending well whole matches trough, and getting one or two goals to secure wins. Much like the collective effort of Iceland.

Noooooo...Ireland !!

Indeed. Can imagine Sweden doing a 'Burnley'; defending well whole matches trough, and getting one or two goals to secure wins. Much like the collective effort of Iceland.

Ow....don't mention Iceland Torg !!

Haha! Watching that match against England... I don't get emotional watching football, but that was a perfect match by a underdog. Hoping Lagerbäck can do the same with Norway, but Iceland's collective is probably a few steps above. Iceland looks just as good now with Heimir Hallgrímsson – who was joint manager with Lagerbäck during the Euro's.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    SaintMark wrote: »
    That is a shocker and one that can only be blamed on the Italians themselves.

Hilarious though it is (and it absolutely is - we're shite but at least we're there) I have to say that I can't agree with that.

FIFA's seeding system a fucking (I'm allowed that one mods as there's no other word when talking about FIFA) joke.

You've got some absolute comedy groups (Group D - Serbia, Ireland, Wales, Group E - Poland, Denmark, Montenegro, Group I - Iceland, Croatia, Ukraine) yet you get Spain and Italy in the same group?

Fair play to Sweden for doing an exemplary job over the two legs but you really shouldn't be ending up in a situation where teams like Iceland and Serbia are qualifying by right without playing anyone decent but Italy and Spain have to go toe to toe and the loser ends up in a precarious playoff.

Haha! Watching that match against England... I don't get emotional watching football, but that was a perfect match by a underdog. Hoping Lagerbäck can do the same with Norway, but Iceland's collective is probably a few steps above. Iceland looks just as good now with Heimir Hallgrímsson – who was joint manager with Lagerbäck during the Euro's.

Let's not big up Iceland too much.

Lest we forget they were up against a dismal team and the worst England manager ever.

Remember what France did to them in the next round.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2017 Posts: 17,816
    They're saying now that Italy not qualifying is because of Brexit.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    They're saying now that Italy not qualifying is because of Brexit.

They are also saying Italy not qualifying is because of this guy....

rory-kinnear__130731090643.jpg
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    ^ Quite a happy Swede today. Can't believe we did it, see you in Russia!

^ Quite a happy Swede today. Can't believe we did it, see you in Russia!

And well deserved Disco...great fighting spirit !

Hilarious though it is (and it absolutely is - we're shite but at least we're there) I have to say that I can't agree with that.

FIFA's seeding system a fucking (I'm allowed that one mods as there's no other word when talking about FIFA) joke.

You've got some absolute comedy groups (Group D - Serbia, Ireland, Wales, Group E - Poland, Denmark, Montenegro, Group I - Iceland, Croatia, Ukraine) yet you get Spain and Italy in the same group?

Fair play to Sweden for doing an exemplary job over the two legs but you really shouldn't be ending up in a situation where teams like Iceland and Serbia are qualifying by right without playing anyone decent but Italy and Spain have to go toe to toe and the loser ends up in a precarious playoff.

Two big teams in one group is likely to happen after all. I found this the more interesting part of this group stage. Not having Spain or Italy securing their places 'by default', was a bit refreshing.
    Let's not big up Iceland too much.

Lest we forget they were up against a dismal team and the worst England manager ever.

Remember what France did to them in the next round.

Still, it's was a England squad who should have beaten this Iceland team easily – which they didn't.
    Massive congratulations to Sweden last night! See you in Russia!!!!
    Warming up to Ireland-Denmark with the friendly between Slovakia-Norway. A bit more Rosenborg-heavy Norway tonight. Hopefully that makes for a better game than the one against Macedonia.

----
    92 minutes in, Slovakia scores. Been the better team in the second half, and well deserved to win this one.