The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

PTS- Bond wears his watch on the outside of his sleeve......damn I gave away my NATO Bond style straps- note to self need to replace........
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    My lead villains list is Doctor No, Klebb, Goldfinger, Scaramanga, Drax, Zorin, Sanchez, Le Chiffre, Silva and as crazy as it sounds - faceless Blofeld in FRWL & TB. These villains that make me sit up and take notice every time I watch them. I'd be tempted to throw Savalas Blofeld and Kananga in there but they'd just sit outside the top echelon for me.
    The seedy club Bonita dances in looks like a place Robert Mitchum would hide out in in a 1950's RKO film noir.
    GF - One of my favourite PTS's. Love the music in it.
    Shocking....positively shocking...........titles- the massively underrated Robert Brownjohn.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, Faceless Blofeld is also on that list.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Brownjohn was batting at 100% - love both FRWL and GF's titles - even with footage from the movie you're about to watch projected in the titles. Music 'into Miami' leading out of it is a highlight too.
    Into Miami--one one my favorite pieces of music in the history of recorded sound........
    It's my ringtone!
    It's my ringtone!

Nice!
    Jill in gold. Sean looks upset but composing himself................he should be it's his fault after all. Great subtle performance.
    Brownjohn was batting at 100% - love both FRWL and GF's titles - even with footage from the movie you're about to watch projected in the titles. Music 'into Miami' leading out of it is a highlight too.

He had a recurring theme in his two titles. Both are among my favorites.

Q scene- a classic.
    Wish Q would work on my damned car.
    Golf sequence- Sean's favorite pass time.

Bond has some very cool clothes in this one. Burgundy V neck sweater over a gray polo. Reminds me of the gray/green sweater over the striped polo he wears in NSNA.
    Oddjob's hairstyle is very trendy in 2017. Next time I see someone with a high fade I should ask them if they took a picture of Oddjob sans hat with them to the barber shop.
    Discipline, 007. discipline.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    My lead villains list is Doctor No, Klebb, Goldfinger, Scaramanga, Drax, Zorin, Sanchez, Le Chiffre, Silva and as crazy as it sounds - faceless Blofeld in FRWL & TB. These villains that make me sit up and take notice every time I watch them. I'd be tempted to throw Savalas Blofeld and Kananga in there but they'd just sit outside the top echelon for me.

Good list...I would swap Doctor No for Largo, Silva for Greene,and maybe Klebb for Electra King.
    I guess my top main villains would be Dr No, Goldfinger, Largo, Blofeld (Savalas), Scaramanga, Largo (NSNA), Zorin, Sanchez and Le Chiffre.

Oddjob's pressing engagement scene- my better half watched a good portion of this Bond with me just now so I haven't posted since the Aston Martin section.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    PTS- Bond wears his watch on the outside of his sleeve......damn I gave away my NATO Bond style straps- note to self need to replace........
    One can do that with the extended diver's clasp on the Submariner with metal bracelet as well, as it's designed to be worn over the diving suit. So a Nato is not necessary.
    Mickey G!

Pussy Galore's flying circus-- Dawn Raid on Ft Knox.
    Pilot Caron Gardner later appeared with Roger on The Saint :The Fictionmakers as a film starlet.
    Oddjob fight- Bond getting tossed around like a rag doll. He's getting slaughtered.
    Bomb diffusion. Sean has some great WTF facial expressions here as he gets confused by the mechanics............
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 15,849
    I like the fact he isn't the one who diffuses the bomb. It's cool to see him on the edge of freaking out there- yet making the firm decision to pull the wires. Gives Connery/Bond a human element, and it's funny at the same time. Bastard that Bond is, though, still will take credit for saving the day and get to lunch wit the president. Classic!
    What great way to start the day with a viewing of GF. Still my number one film, though FRWL and DN tend to muscle their way to that spot occasionally.
    Enjoyed reading your comments on LTK and GF, @ToTheRight.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes @ToTheRight, loved reading your comments (you bring a real joy to your observations).

However, since reading your thoughts on GF, I can't get that whistling tune out of my head (when Bond is getting on the private jet to meet the President)!!! My wife wants to strangle me as I keep spontaneously bursting into my own whistling version of it...
    Milovy wrote: »
    Enjoyed reading your comments on LTK and GF, @ToTheRight.

Thank you, @Milovy ! It's fun getting back into this thread, and getting time to watch some of the films.
    peter wrote: »
    yes @ToTheRight, loved reading your comments (you bring a real joy to your observations).

However, since reading your thoughts on GF, I can't get that whistling tune out of my head (when Bond is getting on the private jet to meet the President)!!! My wife wants to strangle me as I keep spontaneously bursting into my own whistling version of it...

Thanks, @peter ! I appreciate it. Yeah that whistling music is catchy. I'll probably be whistling it throughout the day myself.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    You Only Live Twics I love the romantic aspects of this film, eratic film though pure Bond
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Most of the Glen films needed significant editing. Cut 20 to 45 minutes (varies per film) out of FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK, tighten the scripts, lose the tackier aspects and there would be five more films with a decent fighting chance to make my Top Ten, instead of existing somewhere in the mid-level from 13 to 19. Shorter, but far more effective; like QOS, for an example (a film that does usually make my Top Ten).

I am forced to agree.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Yeah, I'm a defender of Glen's works but they definitely shoehorned some scenes in for cheap laughs and introduced a few tangential plotlines. Some cuts would've made them more universally appreciated. As it is, they tried too hard to walk the thin line of gritty realism and outrageous humour and they definitely slipped a few times in each direction. Octopussy was probably the biggest victim of this.
    You Only Live Twics I love the romantic aspects of this film, eratic film though pure Bond

I love them too :

Twix-psd88929.png.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.png