Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Looking forward to your review, @Strog. :)
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 70
    If an indie game developer, were to create a fan-made Bond game, as a standalone game or as a mod to an existing game, would it be hit with cease and desist letters?

I ask because I will be studying both 3d modelling and a bit of game development (Unity) on the side and who knows, maybe in the future I and several other people would make a fan made Bond game.
    I think an indie game developer would do it justice more than a mainstream developer. A mainstream developer has all the resources, but they decide to be lazy. An indie developer goes in there with all the ambition. Rare, for example, made history with GoldenEye 007, and it was a game first of its kind that they worked on. Eurocom worked similarly on The World Is Not Enough for the Nintendo 64.

But, they are going to need all the promotion they can get and a publisher who appeals to their market. That's the only way a Bond game by an indie developer would be popular enough. The brand name itself under Danjaq's trademark would produce google eyes out of many gamers, particularly when the game is of the shooter genre (the most attractive gaming genre).
    I'm talking more about a fan-made game or mod without corporate publishers or backings. Just like GoldenEye: Source or the Half-Life remake called Black Mesa, which are all fan and community ran projects.
    A fan-made Bond game with originality and single-player campaign is a copyright infringement risk. One of the reasons GE:S developers aren't risking it.
    That's what I'm afraid of. That's a shame because a fan made Bond game by people who love the franchise could fill the empty void of Bond games and prove to others that the genre has potential. Even if the mod/game is for free it can risk being shut down.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Exactly. Well... if it doesn't become popular, they'll just leave it be. That old Sean Connery Bond video comes to mind when Danjaq/MGM pulled it from YouTube when it gained awful lot of popularity by numbers. Popularity always means profit.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How dare decent fans make a game for free when a corporation could charge top dollar for it. Don't you punks know we live in capitalist western societies?!?!
    The world is not enough. ;)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

A look at the new games, which feature characters and music from the films. It also seems that the film the game is named after plays on a screen above it.
    I love that spy-themed Jazz music that plays during the spins.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    giphy.webp

I'll stick with Nightfire.
    giphy.webp

I'll stick with Nightfire.
    Better make that two!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hey, we should all schedule a boy's trip and head to Vegas to try out these cutting edge games!!! Right guys?....G-guys?....
    1*wbuvHdRwW9PdRI8g0roFbg.gif
    Oh, man. If even the Dos Equis guy isn't up for it, who could be?!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Let's play some GoldenEye pinball instead. ;)
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Let's play some GoldenEye pinball instead. ;)

It's funny how during the Xenia bonus, Admiral Farrell's eyes pop out of his head as she squeezes him.
    1ydd99.jpg
    Here's hoping this license isn't applicant to the video game licenses as well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, or on a cell phone!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,894

They wouldn't do something so dumb as to give the gaming licence exclusively to Scientific Games, would they?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,730
    Speaking of video games, did anyone else download the atrocious world of espionage app last year.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Someone here did and deleted it shortly after. :))
    I do hope they have enough brain to separate gambling from video-gaming... since Gaming is mainly referred to gambling games, I hope that contract doesn't have them embrace the video games department, as well.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I do hope they have enough brain to separate gambling from video-gaming... since Gaming is mainly referred to gambling games, I hope that contract doesn't have them embrace the video games department, as well.

I hope so as well. Since the licensing back in the day allowed for both a GE pinball machine and the N64 game, hopefully the current license separates actual video games from any other sort of gaming appliances.

That's the million dollar question. I don't know jack about this, so I've not even got a guess.

That's the million dollar question. I don't know jack about this, so I've not even got a guess.
    We all are on the same ground, sadly, Braders.

This is the internet we're on, however, so I feel we're doing wrong if we don't at least pretend that we have any idea about this.

This is the internet we're on, however, so I feel we're doing wrong if we don't at least pretend that we have any idea about this.
    Haha, now that is the sad truth. Especially on YouTube, the commuters are absolutely pathetic they pretend to know how they work and insult you while they’re at it. Give a coward a mask, put him behind an unreachable glass, they can talk like the king of universe all of a sudden.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Someone here did and deleted it shortly after. :))
    I did and I "played" it for a month or two, hating every second, but still clicking away. Never spent any money, though.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I didn't know where to post this, which isn't a topic regarding the James Bond games, but this revelations about one of my favourite video games Project IGI is that it was initially made as a "GoldenEye 007 for PC."
    About Project IGI for the PC: "We talk with Project IGI's producer and designer Andrew Wensley. GameSpot UK: Why isn't there a save option during missions? Andrew Wensley: We wanted to make GoldenEye for the PC - that was our main aim during the design of IGI. We wanted to promote stealth and really push the element of tension - the player wasn't going to succeed if they ran into an enemy base, all guns blazing. We wanted them to think their way in and shoot their way out. These principles were key in our decision not to have a save option within the game."

Source Link