CLOSED

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    He had "at least" ten rifles, which is insane. I've no clue what kind of security they're running in Las Vegas, but it must be fairly lax if someone can sneak that type of firepower through.

What are the odds of America waking the f-bomb up and introducing some sort of gun control? Less than Liverpool winning a CL and Prem double frankly.

It really would be laughable if so many people weren't dying day in day out.

I'm not sure it'll ever happen, honestly, if it hasn't already. One of those things where I question just how many people need die before something is changed.
    200...300...500 it makes no diference

" The Gun Delusion". The USA loves guns and, when you are in love, you lose rationality and logic.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    patb wrote: »
    200...300...500 it makes no diference

" The Gun Delusion". The USA loves guns and, when you are in love, you lose rationality and logic.

'It isn't the gun that kills!' it's the human (sort of) behind it. Notwithstanding, obviously, that the gun was designed with one single purpose: to kill. But since i used 'notwithstanding' I probably lost the defenders of the second amendment.
    Just in from BBC :

IS say they are behind Las Vegas attack.

The so-called Islamic State group has released a statement through its news agency saying it was behind Sunday night's mass shooting.

Police had previously said that they did not believe the gunman - Las Vegas local Stephen Paddock - was connected to any group.

They said they had no idea what Paddock's motive or belief system was and described him as a "distressed individual".
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    IS is claiming everything these days. It wont be long before they claim the delays in your local public transport as part of their 'disruptive' strategy.
    Well, after all the trouble I had going on and coming back from vacations...

That wouldn't surprise me.

But all jokes apart, frankly, after this, and Marseille, and Edmonton, I'm reminded of this words by Madame de Staël : "Plus je connais les hommes, plus j'aime les chiens". Too true. At least, dogs are better than humans in so many ways.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Our leaders would love nothing more than to be able to pin this on the IS. Watch as they take this particular ball and run with it.
    An American is more liable to be killed by another American than a 'Muslim extremist'. Heck, an American is more liable to be killed by a lightning strike than a 'Muslim extremist'.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Our leaders would love nothing more than to be able to pin this on the IS. Watch as they take this particular ball and run with it.

Curious that in Europe we're desperate for every fresh terrorist attack not to be a Muslim so that we can keep peddling the multicultural harmony schtick but in America they want it to be a Muslim so that they don't have to face up to the gun control debate.

The world is burning and the powers that be are terrifyingly clueless and out of their depth.

Police say the death toll is now 58, with 515 people injured.
    The world is burning and the powers that be are terrifyingly clueless and out of their depth.
    You got that so right. And also, they just don't care. Life weary well-to-do misanthropes just hanging around for the game. 'Humanity' is for poor poets...
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    chrisisall wrote: »

Curious that in Europe we're desperate for every fresh terrorist attack not to be a Muslim so that we can keep peddling the multicultural harmony schtick but in America they want it to be a Muslim so that they don't have to face up to the gun control debate.

I live in America and I completely agree with you. A man I work with is completely obsessed with guns. He is an extreme Republican/Conservative, so it's really not that surprising. He has way too many guns and loves talking about them. I'm in no way a gun enthusiast, so needless to say this guy annoys the hell outta me. Even as I type this he's sitting next to me talking about Hillary Clinton and the NRA. This guy also hates Muslims and once even told me that we should round up them all up and execute them because their religion has caused them to be too violent. I just sighed and walked out of the room. That's Hitler talk.
    Not all but quite a few Americans love their guns and love to put blame on Muslims. You have no idea how relieved I was when I found out the Vegas attack was done by a white man, as disturbing as it may sound. Heck, I hope we find out he's a devout Christian. That would put many people in their place but unfortunately it probably wouldn't change their way of thinking.
    Whether he was a convert to ISIL or just a lone madman the case for gun control remains the same I would have thought.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,812
    Oh it is. My point was for the Americans that are gung ho about fighting Muslims because they are the only terrorists and because white Christians clearly have their heads on straight.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Oh it is. My point was for the Americans that are gung ho about fighting Muslims because they are the only terrorists and because white Christians clearly have their heads on straight.

Nobody's perfect. Bad apples come from everywhere and they should never be the poster child representing their specific race or religion. But I'm a white Christian. If he turns out to be who you want him to be, do you think that represents all white Christians?
    If he turns out to be who you want him to be, do you think that represents all white Christians?
    No, just the "Kill in the name of God" twisted variants. You get them in most religions though...
    Didn't George W Bush claim to be acting on direct instructions from the Almighty when he invaded Iraq?
    He invoked the name a few times which irritated the Hell out of me BTW.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I highly doubt we're gonna get this persons motive besides the fact that he was just a straight up whackadoodle.
    @Last_Rat_Standing, Clearly what I'm saying isn't being understood. And no, if he turns out to be a devout Christian that wouldn't represent all Christians. Which would also make my point. If he was a Muslim, like many Americans would expect/want him to be (as stated above by another poster), would his actions contribute hate towards Muslims? Most likely, yes. So with him being a full blooded American with no Muslim ties, we can't point the finger at Muslims. As you said...
    Nobody's perfect. Bad apples come from everywhere and they should never be the poster child representing their specific race or religion.
    Like I said, it was a slight sigh of relief in an extremely dark time.
    @Last_Rat_Standing, Clearly what I'm saying isn't being understood. And no, if he turns out to be a devout Christian that wouldn't represent all Christians. Which would also make my point. If he was a Muslim, like many Americans would expect/want him to be (as stated above by another poster), would his actions contribute hate towards Muslims? Most likely, yes. So with him being a full blooded American with no Muslim ties, we can't point the finger at Muslims. As you said...
    Nobody's perfect. Bad apples come from everywhere and they should never be the poster child representing their specific race or religion.
    Like I said, it was a slight sigh of relief in an extremely dark time.

And that's what I disagree with as far as labeling people.
    Thoughts and prayers to the people of Las Vegas after last nights senseless attack. Words truly do fail me on this.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    59 killed and 527 wounded now. Pretty insane.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,361
  • Division_00Division_00 Atlanta, GA, USA
    Here are things I've lived through. 9/11, anthrax, Bali, Istanbul, Madrid, London, Mumbai, Paris, Munich, Berlin; Capitol Hill, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, University of Alabama, Tucson, Aurora, Sandy Hook Elementary, Wisconsin, Charleston, San Bernardino, Waco, Orlando, Dallas, Baton Rouge, Fort Lauderdale, Washington, Las Vegas.

To put all that into perspective, I am about to turn 17. All my life, I have been surrounded by terror.
    Here are things I've lived through. 9/11, anthrax, Bali, Istanbul, Madrid, London, Mumbai, Paris, Munich, Berlin; Capitol Hill, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, University of Alabama, Tucson, Aurora, Sandy Hook Elementary, Wisconsin, Charleston, San Bernardino, Waco, Orlando, Dallas, Baton Rouge, Fort Lauderdale, Washington, Las Vegas.

To put all that into perspective, I am about to turn 17. All my life, I have been surrounded by terror.

Yeah, when I was 17 it was the Kent State massacre, police dogs attacking black people, assassinations, the meat grinder of the VietNam War, COINTELPRO, MKULTRA, and other stuff we didn't even hear about because, no internet... the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    We must end the military industrial complex's influence, and their subsidiary civilian gun manufacturing companies mass production.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Unfortunately history is full of atrocities

It seems (emphasis on seems) that the tragedies of today are worse because they are committed with weapons that are relatively new and used to be kinda hard to get. These weapons are specifically designed to kill large numbers of people all at once. I don't understand why Regular Ol' Joe can buy an assault weapon. IMHO, only members of the military should be allowed to possess them, and they must be returned to the respective force when the person leaves the military.

It seems (emphasis on seems) that the tragedies of today are worse because they are committed with weapons that are relatively new and used to be kinda hard to get. These weapons are specifically designed to kill large numbers of people all at once. I don't understand why Regular Ol' Joe can buy an assault weapon. IMHO, only members of the military should be allowed to possess them, and they must be returned to the respective force when the person leaves the military.

One of the key things that have changed is not the violence though media showing us the violence it's always been there, though what happened in Vegas has shocked to the core very upsetting

One of the key things that have changed is not the violence though media showing us the violence it's always been there, though what happened in Vegas has shocked to the core very upsetting

But there weren't always assault weapon attacks by random people on random people.
This discussion has been closed.