CLOSED

Comments

• edited September 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Well, I just posted this on my Facebook wall:
    People need to realize that in an ever globalizing and economically intertwined world, no easy solutions exist for complex conflicts or events like those in Iran, Catalunya, the Middle-East (Islamic State), North-Korea, and the UK (Brexit). It saddens me to see how destructive and emotional populism and its grotesk simplicity is endangering fine and fragile networks, unions, diplomacy, treaties and silent agreements.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    So No solutions ? Just let it carry on, and
    Making some multicultural statements
    About how we'll carry on. :-D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    I'm quite happy for this piece of scum to rot in prison for the rest of his miserable life that is money well spent in my book as for the family a full investigation into the part they played in this matter is no doubt ongoing and action will be taken depending on the outcome of said .
    Putting to death would solve nothing as far as I can see.

Seconded.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Just this: justice.
    Debating what happens after he plants the bomb won't help with the debate about why he planted the bonb. Until we deal with the "why", then we won't make any progress.

"rot in jail", "pull his toenails out" etc etc is just as much as destraction as "the internet is to blame". Whatever we do with this guy, it won't change the future.
    Mind your Bradbury.
    1260702.jpg
    Unusually small for a Nymphalis polychloris

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Very good.
    Unusually small for a Nymphalis polychloris
    A worthy discussion thread: Lepidopterology!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    To ostracise or otherwise blame an entire community for the acts of extremist lunatics is wrong. It is like the white population all being linked to some far right group. It's illogical and creates far more problems than it could ever hope to solve. As for the 'solutions' I've read over the past couple of posts, they have been tried or are being tried and they just do not work. The whole de-radicalisation programme is a waste of time and money. The various communities need to be more vocal and proactive in their own stand against terrorism. Decades to win the war on terror? This is but one chapter!
    The mindset of the terrorist is very similar to that of the common criminal. They will actively exploit any loophole or weakness within the system in order to aid themselves or their cause. A weak system, or one which can be easily exploited for criminal/terrorist purposes is always an ally to those who seek to do us harm.
    Nothing anyone here has said has done anything to weaken my stance that known terrorists/sympathisers/supporters should be detained. Certainly the past few attacks would never have happened had this been the case.

I don't care about the human rights of the terrorist, I care about the rights of the ordinary citizen to go about their lawful business free from danger.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    2 dead and many seriously injured...this world is become a turkey shoot,a free-for-all.

UPDATE : at least 20 dead and over 100 injured.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Very sad news. Thoughts go out to the victims.
    The death toll keeps rising, another sick
    Individual with a gun.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Crazy world.
    The shooter's GF is still on the run, it seems.
    I hope he suffered when he was shot.
    BBC News report just in is saying at least 50 people have died now...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,586
    Deadliest shooting in the history of the USA, they claim.
    One wonders what was playing in that man's mind. Retribution? Securing a place in history? A political statement? Either way, shocking as hell.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Condolences for the victims. Too much madness in the film.

Do we have any idea what he was shooting for?
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Just in from BBC :

At least 50 people have been killed and another 200 have been wounded in a mass shooting at a Las Vegas concert.

A gunman, named as 64-year-old local resident Stephen Paddock, opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel towards an open-air music festival.

He was shot dead by officers in the hotel where a number of guns were found.

The attack is the worst mass shooting in recent US history.

US President Donald Trump tweeted his "warmest condolences and sympathies" to the victims and their families, and called the shooting "terrible".

Sheriff Joe Lombardo described the shooting as a "lone wolf" attack. He said there was no information about Paddock's motives.

"We have no idea what his belief system was," he said.

He added that police were now confident they had located a woman, earlier named as Marilou Danley, who was thought to have been travelling with the gunman before the attack.

Sheriff Lombardo said he was unable to give accurate details of dead and wounded, but confirmed two off-duty police officers were among those killed.
    Girlfriend was an Australian.

And the injured count has apparently raised to 200+, while the mortality figure has jumped to 50+.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117
    barryt007 wrote: »

"We have no idea what his belief system was," he said.

Says it all about where are these days. Back in the days of Hungerford, Dunblane and Columbine the perpetrators of such acts were just labelled common or garden mentalists.

Now they are expected to have a 'belief system' which 'justifies' their actions and we cant just say they are mentally ill because then that would be calling out religion as the insidious cancer that is.

Also is it just me or is there a whiff of 'We are really hoping the guy is a Muslim' about the above statement?

edited October 2017 Posts: 1,984
    No, there's definitely an undertone of religious (and implicitly Muslim) presumption to that statement. What a strange thing to say.

EDIT: Well, actually kind of understandable in today's context. Guess we can only lament the fact that the world's become this way.
  • I just read he took his own life before Swat breached his door. Damn coward
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Very sad.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    How did he get so many guns past hotel security?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He had "at least" ten rifles, which is insane. I've no clue what kind of security they're running in Las Vegas, but it must be fairly lax if someone can sneak that type of firepower through.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    They probably thought he was a gun salesman....
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    They are going to have to start checking people's luggage like the airport.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    He had "at least" ten rifles, which is insane. I've no clue what kind of security they're running in Las Vegas, but it must be fairly lax if someone can sneak that type of firepower through.

What are the odds of America waking the f-bomb up and introducing some sort of gun control? Less than Liverpool winning a CL and Prem double frankly.

It really would be laughable if so many people weren't dying day in day out.

This is one of the first photos of the bastard :

_98108876_yourimage-261-e1506945523361.jpg
This discussion has been closed.