The 007 Weather Channel...where you are,or re the Bond novels/films ..comments ?

edited October 2017 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
The UK is supposed to be covered in snow tonight......but not where i am ,even though i am close to East Anglia,where apparantly it is supposed to be really bad.

Yep its cold,and the gritting lorries have been out but nothing so far..which probably means i will wake up to a blizzard in the morning....
This is on 13/01/2017.

Howz the weather where you are peeps ?

Oh ,and feel free to comment on weather situations or thinkings you have re the Bond books and films,dont forget.

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Snowy and rainy here in Toronto.
    Is that standard for Toronto this time of year @jake24 ?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Indeed it is. Fortunately, we warm up to scorching temperatures during the summer months, so it's not all bad.
    Been below zero though only had Frost, the media always seem to over exaggerate and try to create some kind of panic.
    Same here,and yet travelling through North London on the train earlier,it was covered in snow...that is weird ,London is more snowed under than outside of London ...so far..during the night who knows.....
    Just looked outside and snow has seemingly appeared from nowhere (been awake all night) :-O
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    -20C and cloudy in here.
    -20C and cloudy in here.
    Seriously -20c where are you?
    I live in Minnesota, USA. It gets quite cold here. We have some snow on the ground too.
    I guess you get used to it, coldest it's ever been here was -15c though that was with some seriously cold blizzards. Now with winds it's -7 currently, at work though put my snow gear on just in case before I set off yesterday.
    Where do you live?
    Yorshire in England, finish work in half an hour blizzard has picked up may head to the beach, looks great when covered in snow.
    Oh, I love England.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    This was me after I got caught out by the weather on my way home from work yesterday:

207217_600.jpg

Yes. I am inveeeencible!

i_am_invincible_by_iaminvincibleplz.jpg
    hahaha you DO look like Boris there !!

Its snowing here in London but hardly at all....too much hot air and hostility for snow to fall properly methinks.....
  • GBFGBF
    We had lots of snow the last weeks. In the moment, however, the sun is shining and we have +3 C. The nice thing is that only half an hour from here is the Black Forest with perfect winter sport conditions in the moment. Greetings from Freiburg in Germany.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Greetings to you - I've stayed in Freiburg! It's very pretty; I'm sorry you got landed with the far less attractive Guildford as your twin town.
  • GBFGBF
    Thanks, oh I have never been in Guildford so far, but it looks really nice, at least on the photos on Wikipedia. And it is close to London whereas Freiburg is in the middle of nowhere :-)
    Thunder ?!

Here in London....it's been a while.
    But it is hot and humid.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Here in Florida. So a. Bit like LTK or GF.
    This just in,a bit worrying to say the least :

A third of the world now faces deadly heatwaves as result of climate change.

Nearly a third of the world’s population is now exposed to climatic conditions that produce deadly heatwaves, as the accumulation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere makes it “almost inevitable” that vast areas of the planet will face rising fatalities from high temperatures, new research has found.

Climate change has escalated the heatwave risk across the globe, the study states, with nearly half of the world’s population set to suffer periods of deadly heat by the end of the century even if greenhouse gases are radically cut.

“For heatwaves, our options are now between bad or terrible,” said Camilo Mora, an academic at the University of Hawaii and lead author of the study.

High temperatures are currently baking large swaths of the south-western US, with the National Weather Service (NWS) issuing an excessive heat warning for Phoenix, Arizona, which is set to reach 119F (48.3C) on Monday.

The heat warning extends across much of Arizona and up through the heart of California, with Palm Springs forecast a toasty 116F (46.6C) on Monday and Sacramento set to reach 107F (41.6C).

The NWS warned the abnormal warmth would “significantly increase the potential for heat-related illness” and advised residents to drink more water, seek shade and recognize the early symptoms of heat stroke, such as nausea and a racing pulse.

Mora’s research shows that the overall risk of heat-related illness or death has climbed steadily since 1980, with around 30% of the world’s population now living in climatic conditions that deliver deadly temperatures at least 20 days a year.

The proportion of people at risk worldwide will grow to 48% by 2100 even if emissions are drastically reduced, while around three-quarters of the global population will be under threat by then if greenhouse gases are not curbed at all.

“Finding so many cases of heat-related deaths was mind blowing, especially as they often don’t get much attention because they last for just a few days and then people moved on,” Mora said.

“Dying in a heatwave is like being slowly cooked, it’s pure torture. The young and elderly are at particular risk, but we found that this heat can kill soldiers, athletes, everyone.”

The study, published in Nature Climate Change, analyzed more than 1,900 cases of fatalities associated with heatwaves in 36 countries over the past four decades. By looking at heat and humidity during such lethal episodes, researchers worked out a threshold beyond which conditions become deadly.

This time period includes the European heatwave of 2003, which fueled forest fires in several countries and caused the River Danube in Serbia to plummet so far that submerged second world war tanks and bombs were revealed. An estimated 20,000 people died; a subsequent study suggested the number was as high as 70,000.

A further 10,000 died in Moscow due to scorching weather in 2010. In 1995, Chicago suffered a five-day burst of heat that resulted in more than 700 deaths.

However, most heat-related deaths do not occur during such widely-covered disasters. Phoenix, for example, suffered an unusually hot spell last June that resulted in the deaths of at least four people. Hyperthermia, an excess of body heat, can lead to heat stroke and a potential inflammatory response that can kill.

Mora said the threshold to deadly conditions caries from place to place, with some people dying in temperatures as low as 23C. A crucial factor, he said, was the humidity level combined with the heat.

“Your sweat doesn’t evaporate if it is very humid, so heat accumulates in your body instead,” Mora said. “People can then suffer heat toxicity, which is like sunburn on the inside of your body. The blood rushes to the skin to cool you down so there’s less blood going to the organs. A common killer is when the lining of your gut breaks down and leaks toxins into the rest of your body.”

Global warming is a potent instigator of deadly heat, with research from University of California, Irvine this month finding the probability of a heatwave killing in excess of 100 people in India has doubled due to a 0.5C increase in temperature over the past 50 years.

“The impact of global climate change is not a specter on the horizon. It’s real, and it’s being felt now all over the planet,” said Amir AghaKouchak, UCI associate professor and co-author of that study.

“It’s particularly alarming that the adverse effects are pummeling the world’s most vulnerable populations.”

Elevated temperatures and dry conditions have been exacerbated by the clearing of trees, which provide shade and cooling moisture, in urban areas. Mora said that while adaption such as government heat warnings and the increased use of air conditioning has helped reduce deaths, this was not a viable long-term solution.

“The heat means that we are becoming prisoners in our own homes – you go to Houston, Texas in the summer and there’s no-one outside,” he said.

“Also, the increased use of air conditioning means that electrical grids fail, as has happened in New York City, Australia and Saudi Arabia. We need to prevent heatwaves rather than just trying to adapt to them.”
    This is looking ominous for the Caribbean :

Jose becomes a hurricane, heading for Caribbean on heels of Irma.

Tropical storm Jose has been upgraded to a hurricane in the Atlantic, far east of Hurricane Irma but posing no immediate threat to land at the moment.

The upgrade comes as Jose has picked up wind speed over the past few hours, reaching 75 mph (120 kph). The storm shows signs of quickly strengthening.

Jose had been expected to become a hurricane, and was following Irma in a path toward the Caribbean. It is too early to determine if Jose might ultimately make landfall in the Caribbean, or in the Americas, as weather projections are difficult when storms are so far out.
    Still, forecasts for Jose indicated that it might not pose the same threat as Irma. Jose, the 10th named storm of this year's hurricane season, was expected to veer northwest towards Bermuda over the coming weekend before slowing down.

"This one doesn't pose as much of a threat to the direct southeastern United States as Irma does," Weather Channel meteorologist Ari Sarsalari said. "But hte Leeward Islands would end up with another one-two punch... This could be pretty bad for them."

Irma has already hit the Leeward Islands, located east of Puerto Rico.
    Forecasters say that it is unlikely that Jose will reach the ferocity of Irma, either. Irma is the most powerful hurricane in recorded history, and was approaching Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Haiti before potentially hitting Florida, where officials have issued strongly worded warnings to residents. Many in Southern Florida are already experiencing mandatory evacuation orders, and markets there have already been fleeced of essential goods including water and non perishables. Florida Governor Rick Scott said Wednesday that officials were in touch to make sure that more supplies were delivered before Irma's potential expected landfall over the weekend.
    These hurricane's are causing so much misery, havock, and sadly death too. Thoughts to the thousands affected.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm right in the heart of where Irma will hit. I'm about 110 miles north of Miami. About 12 miles from the coast. It's supposed to directly hit me. I'm finishing my shutters and packing up the family and heading to Tallahassee. Shouldn't be bad there since it's completely inland. Getting there will be hard though with gas shortages and traffic. Its just over 500 miles north and about 6 hours on a good day.
    A silly question @Last_Rat_Standing but i'm curious..

Do you have to take a days vacation from your work holiday or are you given special permission for tomorrow ?

Oh and as I said in the 'Weekend' thread,i hope everything stays in one piece for you,and take care !!
    I'm right in the heart of where Irma will hit. I'm about 110 miles north of Miami. About 12 miles from the coast. It's supposed to directly hit me. I'm finishing my shutters and packing up the family and heading to Tallahassee. Shouldn't be bad there since it's completely inland. Getting there will be hard though with gas shortages and traffic. Its just over 500 miles north and about 6 hours on a good day.

Take care my friend!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    barryt007 wrote: »

Do you have to take a days vacation from your work holiday or are you given special permission for tomorrow ?

Oh and as I said in the 'Weekend' thread,i hope everything stays in one piece for you,and take care !!

I appreciate it. My work is granting me to leave whenever I need to and come back whenever it's safe. I may not be paid but they're taking care of me logistically

I appreciate it. My work is granting me to leave whenever I need to and come back whenever it's safe. I may not be paid but they're taking care of me logistically

I was hoping that would be the case,makes sense obviously.
    Otherwise people would say "sod it" and leave anyway.

It's illegal for a company to fire you or get in trouble for such a matter
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339

It's illegal for a company to fire you or get in trouble for such a matter

Good,so it should be.
    I cant see anyone being that callous and nasty over situations caused by nature.. (well there must be some I suppose).

..................................................................................................................................

Just in,28 minutes ago :

Hurricane Irma: British Navy sent in as deadly storm leaves terrifying trail of devastation

Britain rushed aid to the Caribbean today in the wake of Hurricane Irma, which has left at least 10 people dead.

Navy ship RFA Mounts Bay, with 40 marines on board, was sent to one of the worst-hit areas after ministers said the region needs “extensive humanitarian assistance”. The Government’s emergency Cobra committee is meeting to co-ordinate the response.

The island of Barbuda is said to be “barely habitable”. Officials say the French and Dutch island territories of St Martin/Sint Maarten have been devastated and the death toll is likely to rise. There has been no word from many islanders and tourists since the storm cut communications yesterday.

The area hit by the storm includes a number of British overseas territories, among them the British Virgin Islands and Anguilla.

Thousands of British nationals and tourists are also believed to be on Anguilla, which was described as having suffered “critical” damage.
    Asked if the Government was expecting British fatalities, Theresa May’s spokesman refused to speculate. He said: “We are working urgently to assess the damage.”

RFA Mounts Bay was sent to Anguilla to assess the situation. Today the Foreign Office was making £12 million available for the recovery effort.