The 007 Weather Channel...where you are,or re the Bond novels/films ..comments ?

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 17,235
    Stay safe and indoors! Luckily it's been a while since the last big storm in my hometown, but the last one did take the electricity for a while, so have a flashlight within reach, and other handy stuff, should the storm become that big.
    Thanks old pal...we will do a quick shop in the morning and then thats it for the weekend...indoors with good food,drink,scrabble and lots of football !!!

Especially Everton vs my beloved Arsenal on Sunday ;)
    Sounds like a good plan! Do hope for an away win on Sunday, and for the storm to calm down quickly!
    The away win is more important !!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The away win is more important !!

Haha! That is totally understandable!
    Thick fog coming down here right now..a real 'pea-souper-...feels like Victorian England in the days of Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper...
    Thick fog coming down here right now..a real 'pea-souper-...feels like Victorian England in the days of Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper...

Hate thick fog. Had to drive a couple of hours through heavy fog about a year ago, on some snowy roads that could have been better. Luckily I haven't had to drive in that kind of weather since!
    All right, now, France (or at least the part where I live) is covered in snow. Expect lots of people being unable to come to work tomorrow morning, buses being kept in the garages, and so on. And to think that last week, daffodils were flowering, and the Seine was in flood. Go figure.
    Gerard wrote: »
    All right, now, France (or at least the part where I live) is covered in snow. Expect lots of people being unable to come to work tomorrow morning, buses being kept in the garages, and so on. And to think that last week, daffodils were flowering, and the Seine was in flood. Go figure.

Same here,snow is flowing from the sky and is settling...the climate in this world is seriously screwed....one week warm ,even in Nov/Dec/Jan and now back to normal with cold and snow.
    I really hate snow. We've been having some cold weather lately, with winds coming through Russia from Siberia (I think) and into Norway. Haven't been snowing for a week or so where I live, but the cold weather makes the snow we've already got remain.

On a side note, we had some 10-12 reindeers just across the road yesterday. Not unusual to see reindeers in my part of the country necessarily, but in a residential area is a bit strange. A very winterly thing, though – snow AND reindeers!
    I really hate snow. We've been having some cold weather lately, with winds coming through Russia from Siberia (I think) and into Norway. Haven't been snowing for a week or so where I live, but the cold weather makes the snow we've already got remain.

On a side note, we had some 10-12 reindeers just across the road yesterday. Not unusual to see reindeers in my part of the country necessarily, but in a residential area is a bit strange. A very winterly thing, though – snow AND reindeers!

Wow,incredible.

Where were they heading to ,Torg ?

• edited February 2018 Posts: 17,235

Wow,incredible.

The pasturage (is that the right term in English?) for the reindeers is quite large, and they travel freely finding food. In this case they were eating on the field just across the road, before going into the woods again. From what I've heard, these reindeers are all tame, which mean they won't get frightened by people. Read that some reindeers also had found their way in to the town centre, haha!

Edit: More common around these parts is seeing moose. Saw two of them this weekend. One on close range, though. Was watching the TV, thought I saw something, and it was a full grown moose staring at me through the window! Couldn't had been more than a meter or so between me and the elk! He just stood there for a minute or so, before he went searching for food again.

Wow,incredible.

The pasturage (is that the right term in English?) for the reindeers is quite large, and they travel freely finding food. In this case they were eating on the field just across the road, before going into the woods again. From what I've heard, these reindeers are all tame, which mean they won't get frightened by people. Read that some reindeers also had found their way in to the town centre, haha!

It's Pasture,so good effort !
    Must be great to just have reindeer wandering around.
    Do they get hit by vehicles a lot though or are they pretty smart and streetwise ?

Wow,incredible.

It's Pasture,so good effort !
    Must be great to just have reindeer wandering around.
    Do they get hit by vehicles a lot though or are they pretty smart and streetwise ?

Close enough, then! This lot didn't seem to bothered by vehicles, although they did move a bit when bigger vehicles came driving. Usually it's trains that hit reindeers, it seems. Haven't seen reports of that happening around here, though.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Blimey,Piccadilly is covered in snow.
    Serious downfall in only 10 mins.
    Must be at least 0C as it is settling.

God knows what its like where I live,in the countryside and more North.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Since last Saturday, the Hamburg area really has had the first really "wintery" weather of this season (unless you want to count the usual "five degrees and drizzle" as such). Yesterday and today were the only two mornings in the entire winter that we had to clear our steep and long driveway from snow to be able to master it going to or coming from work...at least with our 2WD BMW. During the night we presently also have the lowest temperatures of this entire winter - about minus 10. And that's two days before the "meteorological" beginning of spring.

I hate snow and ice and welcome global warming if it helps doing without. Planning to grow some Cabernet Sauvignon soon.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Blimey,Piccadilly is covered in snow.
    Serious downfall in only 10 mins.
    Must be at least 0C as it is settling.

God knows what its like where I live,in the countryside and more North.

We got 8 inches where I live a couple of days ago.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    With the mention of global warming, I just watched a PBS program on winter bird counts in the US Northeast. Seems birds where I live in the DC area and north to Maine are doing exceptionally well in recent years.

We did have our cold stretch here--water lines froze overnight out in the street leading to my home. No pipes burst inside, but took some doing to restore the water flow.

Now it's been warm for a stretch, lots of rain that we needed. But weather swings and changes all the time.

Of course I like things dry, cool to warm. But I can deal with most any weather if there's no wind. Wind can complicate the simplest of things.
    With the mention of global warming, I just watched a PBS program on winter bird counts in the US Northeast. Seems birds where I live in the DC area and north to Maine are doing exceptionally well in recent years.

We did have our cold stretch here--water lines froze overnight out in the street leading to my home. No pipes burst inside, but took some doing to restore the water flow.

Now it's been warm for a stretch, lots of rain that we needed. But weather swings and changes all the time.

Of course I like things dry, cool to warm. But I can deal with most any weather if there's no wind. Wind can complicate the simplest of things.

That's encouraging and good to know Richard,usually its the opposite,alas.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Heavy winds on the US East Coast. No local power (I'm Northern Virginia outside DC) the past 6 plus hours. Otherwise all is well.

That's what I get for mentioning the wind a few days ago.
    Heavy winds on the US East Coast. No local power (I'm Northern Virginia outside DC) the past 6 plus hours. Otherwise all is well.

That's what I get for mentioning the wind a few days ago.

Tempted fate ;)

The weather has totally changed here,bright sunlight and the snow has gone as quick as it appeared last week.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I like this thread.
    Blimey its hot here in London today,gone from cold a day ago to 27C and clear sunny skies.

The weather in this country is seriously weird so far this year.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Once again, you people have the same weather as we in Northern Germany. So far what passed as spring has been cold and wet. So much so that the asparagus harvest still hasn't started, which last year was two weeks earlier. Now today, we have about 26°C as it's supposed to go up to 28 on Friday. Nice. I decided yesterday I'd take three days off. Ah, the perks of being self-employed.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Once again, you people have the same weather as we in Northern Germany. So far what passed as spring has been cold and wet. So much so that the asparagus harvest still hasn't started, which last year was two weeks earlier. Now today, we have about 26°C as it's supposed to go up to 28 on Friday. Nice. I decided yesterday I'd take three days off. Ah, the perks of being self-employed.

Yep...the same here,up to 28/29C on Friday here too.

Well done for taking time off to make the most of it !
    I need to save my holiday for my Philippines trip in May.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,235
    Weather's gone up here in Norway, as well, to a whopping 9°C where I live. Snow is slowly disappearing, so I only hope we've seen the last of it. Will be great to put those winter clothes and shoes back in the cabinet, and bring out the lighter jackets and regular shoes again.
    This is impressive !! :
    From the Daily Mail.

British SKY-les: Cloud looking like a map of the United Kingdom spotted above Devon

A cloud looking like a map of Britain was spotted hovering in the skies over the weekend.

Amanda Darke snapped a photo of the unusual formation when she was driving in Devon on Saturday evening at around 7pm.

Ms Dark was so thrilled that she jumped out of her car while travelling between the villages of Diptford and Morleigh.

The 58-year-old said: 'The cloud was a perfect shape of the UK and I knew I had to act quickly before it dispersed.

'I jumped out of the car and took a couple of pictures.

'My mum was driving us and I saw it in the sky. I just said "quickly stop the car" as I wanted to take a picture of it.

'I was so thrilled by it. I just looked up and it presented itself.

AAwwhHK.img?h=400&w=289&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

I couldn't believe it. I just knew it i didn't get it then I would never see anything like that again.

'It was lucky I was a passenger and able to spot it.'

But there will be too much clouds today as the Met Office has issued a yellow warning for heavy rain across southeastern England and of East Anglia o through most of Monday.

The weather warning states: 'There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings.

AAwwkEW.img?h=476&w=634&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

'Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.

'Where flooding occurs, there is a slight chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services.'

The Met Office said rainfall of at least one inch (25mm) is possible in many areas of the South-East but that some areas could receive more than two-and-a-half inches (70mm).

It's going to be a BEAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUtiful day.

HA ha ha HAAAAAAAAAAA

Yessir, a BEAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUtiful day.

Actually, it's a tad rainy this morning.
    This is not a good sign :

Britain so badly scorched by heatwave it has turned from green to brown in satellite photographs.

Satellite imagery has revealed how the UK’s heatwave and drought has changed its appearance.

A photo taken in May shows the country covered in Green, but another recent image shows it reduced to a shade of brown.

The longest heatwave Britain has experienced in 42 years saw just 47mm of rainfall between 1 June to 16 July.

It makes it the driest start to summer on modern records, which date back to 1961.
    Britain could see its hottest summer on record this year if above average temperatures continue, according to the Met Office.

AAAgFSJ.img?h=423&w=564&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Even if the rest of the summer is average, it will “certainly rank in the top 10 warmest summers on record,” the national weather service said.

However, a spokesperson for the Met Office cautioned: “It is important to remember we are only half way through the season, and a lot can change.”

The heatwave has led to falling water levels in a reservoir in Dartmoor, Devon, revealing a "drowned village" which has been submerged for more than a century.

It has also exposed previously undiscovered or long-hidden outlines of various archaeological sites, from ancient fortifications to remnants of the Second World War, across the country.

While the UK will be mostly dry with sunny spells on Thursday, the Met Office warned that rain will reach northwest Scotland during the afternoon.

On Friday it will be cloudy with rain across the north and west and perhaps thunderstorms in the southeast.

However, it will be drier and brighter at the weekend.

This is not a good sign :

Britain so badly scorched by heatwave it has turned from green to brown in satellite photographs.

Satellite imagery has revealed how the UK’s heatwave and drought has changed its appearance.

A photo taken in May shows the country covered in Green, but another recent image shows it reduced to a shade of brown.

The longest heatwave Britain has experienced in 42 years saw just 47mm of rainfall between 1 June to 16 July.

It makes it the driest start to summer on modern records, which date back to 1961.
    Britain could see its hottest summer on record this year if above average temperatures continue, according to the Met Office.

AAAgFSJ.img?h=423&w=564&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Even if the rest of the summer is average, it will “certainly rank in the top 10 warmest summers on record,” the national weather service said.

However, a spokesperson for the Met Office cautioned: “It is important to remember we are only half way through the season, and a lot can change.”

The heatwave has led to falling water levels in a reservoir in Dartmoor, Devon, revealing a "drowned village" which has been submerged for more than a century.

It has also exposed previously undiscovered or long-hidden outlines of various archaeological sites, from ancient fortifications to remnants of the Second World War, across the country.

While the UK will be mostly dry with sunny spells on Thursday, the Met Office warned that rain will reach northwest Scotland during the afternoon.

On Friday it will be cloudy with rain across the north and west and perhaps thunderstorms in the southeast.

However, it will be drier and brighter at the weekend.

That is just incredible and very concerning at the same time!!!!