BOND POLLS 2017: So if Bond #25 is Craig's last? How should we approach his final 10 minutes?

edited August 2017 in No Time To Die Posts: 11,119
Well, I think it's time to discuss the fact that Bond #25 will be Daniel Craig's final outing as Her Majesty's Secret Agent 007. And since Mr Craig himself clearly said "I want to go out on a high note", it is fairly realistic to assume that the finale/ending of Bond #25 will be pretty groundbreaking. Or at least very different from all previous 24 official outings.

So I have made up a poll with some suggestions to how an ending for Daniel Craig's 5th and final outing should look like. I considered a few scenario's and it's up to you to choose your favourite option:

A)...We have an open ending to Craig's final 10 min's of Bond #25, that is BOTH FUNNY AND HILARIOUS to Craig's role.
The details of this option include:
--> A re-imagined "Bond is bedding the girl" sequence. Perhaps this time with two girls in bed at the same time?
--> We leave the ending open for interpretation, as the end credits roll in before we see him bedding the girls.
--> Or another scenario that incorporates at least the above details from option A).

B)...We have an open ending to Craig's final 10 min's of Bond #25, that is BOTH DRAMATIC AND EMOTIONAL to Craig's role.
--> An adaptation of the ending of the novel "From Russia With Love", in which Daniel Craig is severely injured.
--> We leave the ending open for interpration, so he could either be dead or alive.
--> Or another scenario that incorporates at least the above details from option B).

C)...We have a closed ending to Craig's final 10 min's of Bond #25, that is BOTH FUNNY AND HILARIOUS to Craig's role.
--> A nice throwback/reference to the unofficial Bond film "Never Say Never Again", in which Daniel Craig retires.
--> It's a closed ending. This is it. Bond bed's the girl, with a giant smile and eyewink to the audience.
--> Or another scenario that incorporates at least the above details from option C).

D)...We have a closed ending to Craig's final 10 min's of Bond #25, that is BOTH DRAMATIC AND EMOTIONAL to Craig's role.
--> An ending that draws it's inspiration from Marvel's "Logan". For the first time in the franchise history Bond dies.
--> It's a closed ending. This is it. Presumably S.P.E.C.T.R.E. could be behind it, but also another standalone villain.
--> Or another scenario that incorporates at least the above details from option D).

Comments

I choose A.
  • D. But I really resent the Logan comparisons. I don't care about Logan or Marvel. I just want them to do YOLT.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    D. But I really resent the Logan comparisons. I don't care about Logan or Marvel. I just want them to do YOLT.

The "Logan" comparisons are a necessity, because with this option Bond dies. In none of the Bond novels from Ian Fleming, nor the actual films, Bond really dies. In the film "Logan" however Logan/Wolverine is dead. Lights out. Funeral coming up.

If you want them to do YOLT, then you want Bond to loose his memory, impregnate Kissy, and then heading off to Russia to find his origins.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    D. But I really resent the Logan comparisons. I don't care about Logan or Marvel. I just want them to do YOLT.

The "Logan" comparisons are a necessity, because with this option Bond dies. In none of the Bond novels from Ian Fleming, nor the actual films, Bond really dies. In the film "Logan" however Logan/Wolverine is dead. Lights out. Funeral coming up.

If you want them to do YOLT, then you want Bond to loose his memory, impregnate Kissy, and then heading off to Russia to find his origins.

You know that's what I want, we've talked about it before. And you said "or another scenario that fits this option". My scenario was YOLT. Although I wouldn't mind an alternate YOLT ending where Bond does actually die, I think it fits the character, could be really cool if done right, and Fleming hinted a few times that there was no other way Bond's story could end.

So option D is he dies. Okay. What do I vote if I want YOLT then and what's the point in this thread? As far as I can tell it's the same as the other one except we can only pick from the options you've come up with instead of giving our own ideas.

You know that's what I want, we've talked about it before. And you said "or another scenario that fits this option". My scenario was YOLT.

Okay, but then option B essentially fits your idea a bit better. One of the prime elements of option D is Bond being dead.

To make the poll a bit clearer I updated the sentence saying "Another scenario that fits this option" into "Another scenario that incorporates at least the above details of this option".
  • Oh I saw open ending and thought you meant open for a new actor (when I think the Craig era should be closed off ala Nolan's Batman) rather than ambiguous if he's alive or not. That's my mistake.
    Oh I saw open ending and thought you meant open for a new actor (when I think the Craig era should be closed off ala Nolan's Batman) rather than ambiguous if he's alive or not. That's my mistake.

No worries ;-). I hope it's clearer now. This is a poll that is entirely focused on how the last couple of min's of Craig's 5th and final Bond film should look like:-).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,416
    Closer to option A. But then emotional.

The real schocking story of Daniel Craig with a bit of deprest open end, but Bond end with the girl.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    On a light note like Roger would be my preference, minus the robot
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2017 Posts: 16,328
    E: Have it end basically like Skyfall's, He goes to M's office, M says, Welcome back 007. End scene.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »
    Have it end basically like Skyfall's, He goes to M's office, M says, Welcome back 007. End scene.

Good call none of the other Bond films acknowledge a actor is leaving, would hate some sentimental send off. On a side note I still would not rule out Craig for a sixth film...
    Please choose one of the four options. Or otherwise an option E, "other". But I tried to anticipate what would most realistically be the ending of Bond 25. I don't think they will redo a Skyfall-esque ending.
    E: Craig returns
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119

OK, I have registered your vote hehe. But Daniel Craig himself has ruled out to do a 6th. A few weeks ago I might add :-). I also created this poll while knowing that Bond 25 will be Craig's final. And if he keeps loyal to his words, it will make this the first Bond film that could turn into a true send off for a particular Bond a tor (not including NSNA)

OK, I have registered your vote hehe. But Daniel Craig himself has ruled out to do a 6th. A few weeks ago I might add :-). I also created this poll while knowing that Bond 25 will be Craig's final. And if he keeps loyal to his words, it will make this the first Bond film that could turn into a true send off for a particular Bond a tor (not including NSNA)

That means nothing you only have to look at the history of the series that anything is possible
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    DC says it is his last and I believe him, and I always thought he would do a 5th and that would be it. The next film will be on the 60th Anniversary of Bond and you can bet your bottom dollar that Babs and MGW already have one eye each on that scenario.

As for the last 10 minutes? I am just gonna enjoy and embrace them like all the other DC Bond movies.
    There's no guarantee it will be his last. I think he's do six, actually.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I really don't care at this point. Since they probably will continue with the closed timeline I can live with them going with D if they want to. I just hope it's not suicide.

Alternatively, they could do an A. He could turn to the camera and break the 4th wall, Connery NSNA style, and make a comment about wrists when someone comes over to call him back to the service as he's cavorting with Madeleine (?). That'll surely get a laugh in the theatre.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I really don't care at this point. Since they probably will continue with the closed timeline I can live with them going with D if they want to. I just hope it's not suicide.

Alternatively, they could do an A. He could turn to the camera and break the 4th wall, Connery NSNA style, and make a comment about wrists when someone comes over to call him back to the service as he's cavorting with Madeleine (?). That'll surely get a laugh in the theatre.

Hahahaha, I just adore your idea for option A (which is actually C). That would be a real funny moment.
    Craig no longer doing stunts is a big factor, Bond 25 hits 1 Billion Eon will tempt Craig with a lucrative carrot for him to return. If Bond 25 flops that's a different story... Never say Never...
    Craig no longer doing stunts is a big factor, Bond 25 hits 1 Billion Eon will tempt Craig with a lucrative carrot for him to return. If Bond 25 flops that's a different story... Never say Never...

Nah, I think Bond #25 could easily become a riveting closure to Craig's tenure. And if that happens, than all of Craig's odd numbered Bond films are all classics.

Given the problematic pre-production period for SP, which in many ways was comparable to QOS' pre-production, and all those SonyLeaks, I think EON wants to set the record straight and end Craig's tenure with such a riveting bang, that we're all gonna miss him dearly.

I also don't care so much what the final option of this poll will be, as long as we're getting 'the biggest Bond of all'!:
    MTSjjlb.jpg

But I must say, I love @BondJames ' idea ;-).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Thank you @Gustav_Graves. The more I think about it, the more I like it too. He wouldn't even have to say wrists because of the negative connotations. Just start off with a wink at the camera and say Now? I'd rather break this glass and........ fade out to end theme.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    For those wanting a YOLT ending I don't see it. Cause the next Bond now has to finish a Bond storyline that was started by DC. I think there needs to be a firm conclusion with no hanging threads. Oh and a real mission instead of one tied to a brother, a sister, M's brother or sister, etc. would be nice too.
    thedove wrote: »
    For those wanting a YOLT ending I don't see it. Cause the next Bond now has to finish a Bond storyline that was started by DC. I think there needs to be a firm conclusion with no hanging threads. Oh and a real mission instead of one tied to a brother, a sister, M's brother or sister, etc. would be nice too.

So.... C or D I guess no ;-)?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I think it's possible to end a Bond movie with, both Bond bedding the girl in some fashion and saving the day, without the need for hilarity. Personally, I'd like the movie to close on somewhere more glamorous and exotic than gloomy old, heavily-filtered London. I know some here have an unreserved hatred of DAF, but I like the ending between Tiffany and Bond on the cruise liner. It's simple, effective and ends posing a question, rather than in a post-coital embrace.

The final 10 minutes could be the "Guy Hamilton double-ending", whereupon the audience is reminded of the reappearance of a henchman that's gone unaccounted for up until the final moment. Examples are the GF, DAF, LALD and MWTTGG closing sequences. Let's not forget OHMSS also does this as well. I also don't think the audience needs to see closure on his tenure, especially as it's been such a long gap in between SP and Bond 25. It's not as if the previous movie is going to be fresh in our minds, unless we all universally sit down and watch it before Bond 25 premieres. I certainly don't want to see any Logan (Shane or John Wayne) influences, that's for sure. The Logan death was slightly reminiscent of Batman's death in TDKR, or faked death, which is pretty much how you're suggesting Bond ends in your category D. The category B worked in book-form as a cliffhanger of sorts, but I can't see it working for a movie without there being a sequel. Also, didn't Fleming intend to end Bond's life in FRWL, much like Arthur Conen Doyle did with Sherlock Holmes, but had a change of heart?

Sorry, @Gustav_Graves, I'm just not seeing the appropriate choice for my own "double-ending" and "posing a question" suggestion.
    A)...We have an open ending to Craig's final 10 min's of Bond #25, that is BOTH FUNNY AND HILARIOUS to Craig's role.
    --> A re-imagined "Bond is bedding the girl" sequence. Perhaps this time with two girls in bed at the same time?
    --> We leave the ending open for interpretation, as the end credits roll in before we see him bedding the girls.
    --> Or another scenario that incorporates at least the above details from option A).

So just to be clear the 3rd part of A gives us the option of more than two girls in bed with Bond?

I choose that option.
    vzok wrote: »

So just to be clear the 3rd part of A gives us the option of more than two girls in bed with Bond?

I choose that option.

I actually wrote that in my story treatment ;-):
    PfjGDs8.jpg
    Keep voting ;-)