THE CRITERION COLLECTION Discussion Thread

2»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a masterpiece IMO.

I have actually never seen that one. But if you consider that a masterpiece I will check it out!

I've only heard amazing things, and I, too, have unfortunately never seen it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a masterpiece IMO.

I have actually never seen that one. But if you consider that a masterpiece I will check it out!

I've only heard amazing things, and I, too, have unfortunately never seen it.
    Well, it's a small masterpiece, and that's why I love it- the intimate feel of it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I only have one, and it's the the Robert Mitchum film, The Friends Of Eddie Coyle. I didn't make the mistake of doing it, but Critereon should have put a spoiler warning on the front of the booklet, as anyone who chooses the read the booklet first, is going to have a major plot point spoiled.

Usually, buyers of Criterion's already know the movie, but it is unfortunate anyway if in a booklet there is a major plot spoiler.

With that particular film, it's not as if everyone buying it is upgrading (and so would know about the Critereon Collection), as other than a spanish BR, it had not been released on any format before. A Superb film that it is, featuring one of Mitchum's best performances, it would be a shame for anyone seeing it for the first time, to have it spoiled by reading the booklet.
    Most of the films I would count as a favourite, might not qualify for the CC, hence why haven't bought each one they've released. Instead I bought that one (for Mitchum), and why I want to get Day For Night (because of Jackie Bisset).
  • Criterion flash sale for the next 11ish hours. Lasts until 3/1 at Noon Eastern Time.

https://criterion.com/sale

$19.98 Blu-Rays.

Not sure if I'm gonna pick something up this time, but their next flash sale won't be until October...
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    Barnes & Noble here in the States does a twice yearly sale on the Criterion DVDs and Blu-rays, marking them down to 50% off for a month or so each time. I've picked up quite a few items in my own collection that way or (as I did this past Christmas) tipped off family members about the fall sale in time for them to pick some up for me before Christmas.

I have to say, I'm still feeling miffed about them pulling the films off of Hulu here in the States as well. I watched quite a bit of Criterion stuff that way and the fact that they jumped on the "We need our own streaming service!" bandwagon I don't think will do them any favors in the long run. Still, at least I have my DVDs.

timdalton007
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I'm a big Criterion whore. Big fan of Kurosawa, Bergman, and Welles, who are well represented in the collection. At this point I think I own about 110-120, haven't counted in a while. Most are blu ray but about 15 to 20 are DVD. I credit Bond with my love of films and that eventually branched out into collecting Criterions as well ( a pretty expensive hobby). If anyone is interested II'll be willing to list them off later.
  • Le samouraï is finally coming to Criterion Blu-ray!

https://criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Le samouraï is finally coming to Criterion Blu-ray!

https://criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

Great list I really want...

696_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

...trying to determine whether it is region free.
  • From the website:

11. Does Criterion sell its DVDs and Blu-ray discs outside the United States? And what regions do they play in?

We only publish DVDs for the North American market, and our DVDs and Blu-ray discs are encoded region 1.
    From the website:

11. Does Criterion sell its DVDs and Blu-ray discs outside the United States? And what regions do they play in?

We only publish DVDs for the North American market, and our DVDs and Blu-ray discs are encoded region 1.

The big downside to Criterion for my neighbors across the pond. Lots of excellent titles but you can only take advantage of them in Region A markets sadly.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    From the website:

The big downside to Criterion for my neighbors across the pond. Lots of excellent titles but you can only take advantage of them in Region A markets sadly.

The ironic part is that international films form a great portion of their catalogue. But they are, obviously, a business like any other and they have a business model that makes sense to them.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    From the website:

The ironic part is that international films form a great portion of their catalogue. But they are, obviously, a business like any other and they have a business model that makes sense to them.

A massive portion. It is a shame they haven't opened their collection up to more regions, they'd really rake in the money then.

Eager for the inevitable 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' so I can own that movie. I've been holding off on rewatching it solely for the arrival of the Criterion edition.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    They have already begun releasing certain titles region B locked. We'll see how Le samourai looks in HD. The previous blu ray editions have all been cocked up to some extent.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,102
    From the website:

Thanks that's a shame, I'll see what is on the UK list if any.

Edited:

There is a short list of UK titles...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=274728

176342_medium.jpg

Nice will definitely be buying The Fisher King.