"You killed my dog "...John Wick discussion

I've just finished watching John Wick Chapter 2 and it is as good as the original..

You can tell Keanu has beefed up and all the training he put in has paid off,he has been excellent in both of the first two films.

I love the way he rams a shotgun into a villain and then shoots him.

Any likes or dislikes ,peeps ?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Loved the first film but was disappointed
    With the second.
    Really ?

The fight scene outside the Continental hotel (eventually inside !) was brilliant.

I love the "Gin wasn't it ?" ..."yes,Bourbon ?"...."yes"...and they go off to the bar in the hotel after nearly killing eachother.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Really ?

The fight scene outside the Continental hotel (eventually inside !) was brilliant.

I love the "Gin wasn't it ?" ..."yes,Bourbon ?"...."yes"...and they go off to the bar in the hotel after nearly killing eachother.

Oh ,and don't let Wick get hold of a pencil...golden rule !!!!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Interesting that you bring up John Wick. I've been in the mood lately to watch them and I was thinking what would be in my top action movies and John Wick was for sure in my top five.
    Interesting that you bring up John Wick. I've been in the mood lately to watch them and I was thinking what would be in my top action movies and John Wick was for sure in my top five.

Go for it.....they did kill his dog and steal his car after all !!

Actually that's exactly my problem with the concept of the Wick movie. After all, they only killed his dog! I can't root for a guy that goes to such lengths to cause mayhem for a animal. To me this is simply too ridiculous to warm for.

Actually that's exactly my problem with the concept of the Wick movie. After all, they only killed his dog! I can't root for a guy that goes to such lengths to cause mayhem for a animal. To me this is simply too ridiculous to warm for.

If someone killed my dog then they need to run....but seriously the dog was just the trigger object after all he had lost before,it was the final straw.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That same level of ridiculousness can be found in countless other action films, or movies in general.

To be fair, the entire movie harks on about how it was "just a dog," which raises the point you make, but it's also the final gift from his recently deceased wife who meant everything to him. Elevates it past simply being a pet that he kills 80 people in return for.

I never understood why people view it like that. For starters, an asshole and his crew broke into his house, beat the hell out of him, and stole his car. All that right there would be reason enough. Then to top it off they killed his dog. The dog was more than just a pet. It was a gift from his dead wife to remind him to he's more than just a killing machine. The dog represented his humanity and it was taken from him. It's as simple as that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Love both films, watched them both in theatres, the second one twice. Already subscribed to the comics.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Love both films, watched them both in theatres, the second one twice. Already subscribed to the comics.

I'm excited to read the comics but I always wait until they are in graphic novel form. I hate reading a quarter of the story then having to wait a month or so to read another quarter of the story.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,162
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That same level of ridiculousness can be found in countless other action films, or movies in general.

To be fair, the entire movie harks on about how it was "just a dog," which raises the point you make, but it's also the final gift from his recently deceased wife who meant everything to him. Elevates it past simply being a pet that he kills 80 people in return for.

I understand that the dog meant more to him because of his dead wife, but still she didn't strike me at all as someone, who would have been fond of his actions. This was her present, her heritage, he should have honored it by doing what she probably would have wanted him to do.
    Also, you might call me jaded, but after the first 20 minutes of permanently shooting and killing I somehow get bored.

I understand that the dog meant more to him because of his dead wife, but still she didn't strike me at all as someone, who would have been fond of his actions. This was her present, her heritage, he should have honored it by doing what she probably would have wanted him to do.
    Also, you might call me jaded, but after the first 20 minutes of permanently shooting and killing I somehow get bored.

Wow,you are a cold man my friend ...(only joking )...;)

@noSolaceleft, but she married one of the most skilled hitmen in the world. Surely she knew that going into the marriage, and while she may not look favorably upon his reaction to losing the car and his dog, I doubt she'd be surprised or overly disgusted by it.

Sounds like the film just wasn't for you in general, because I think there's only one real action sequence in the first 45-50 minutes of the film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,882
    If someone did that to my dog, I wouldn't think twice about fighting back. You killed my dog, I am not about to go all Gandhi, i'm going to hit back, and hit as low as I have to.

So naturally I enjoyed the first one, haven't seen the second film yet.
    @noSolaceleft, but she married one of the most skilled hitmen in the world. Surely she knew that going into the marriage, and while she may not look favorably upon his reaction to losing the car and his dog, I doubt she'd be surprised or overly disgusted by it.

Sounds like the film just wasn't for you in general, because I think there's only one real action sequence in the first 45-50 minutes of the film.

You see, I'm not very much invested in that movie so I certainly don't want to get into any battle,
    But I don't think there was anything in the movie, that suggested she knew what he had done before his marriage.

You see, I'm not very much invested in that movie so I certainly don't want to get into any battle,
    But I don't think there was anything in the movie, that suggested she knew what he had done before his marriage.

No battle intended. I couldn't care less if people enjoy it or not when I love it as much as I do. Just trying to decipher what it was you didn't like exactly. I know this kind of movie isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    If someone did that to my dog, I wouldn't think twice about fighting back. You killed my dog, I am not about to go all Gandhi, i'm going to hit back, and hit as low as I have to.

So naturally I enjoyed the first one, haven't seen the second film yet.

If he had went after that spoiled brat and emptied half a magazine into each of his knees and a few extra into his elbows I would have had wholeheartedly approved of it. If after that they hadn't got the message and came back for him, they just would have gotten what they had begged for. Fine with me! I'm not a fanatic pacifist, you know.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @QsAssistant
    True that. Although for some series it's impossible to maintain that attitude. The Marvel run on Star Wars has generated well over 30 issues by now. I'd rather not have to catch up on those at some point. Also, since the main "Star Wars" series crosses over with the Darth Vader, Dr. Aphra, ... series, I couldn't then read those either, finished or not. So sometimes it's inevitable to start reading them one per month.

But one can always reread a previous issue of course. ;-)
    That's the second person today to say they were bored during John Wick. I didn't even know it was possible to be bored when watching that movie.
    But that's quite a bit of action movies. I say John Wick changed it a bit with it's action style and brought something new to the table.
    But that's quite a bit of action movies. I say John Wick changed it a bit with it's action style and brought something new to the table.

That's how I felt. Most action fare is comparable at the end of the day, but Wick was unique in that it really put planning and proper choreography/training into the action, I felt. I enjoyed the more intimate action - no massive CG explosions causing a city getting destroyed here, just a man, his fists, and some guns.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Honestly, I didn't enjoy the first one all that much but really liked the second one. It has a more expansive scale with more money on the screen and classier cinematography. They have far more wide angle shots of the great locations they were in as well.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    That's the second person today to say they were bored during John Wick. I didn't even know it was possible to be bored when watching that movie.

I found it utterly tedious. When all a film has is non-stop mindless violence with no discernible 'plot', no sense of humour or irony and is akin to watching someone else playing a shoot em up video game then I tend get a bit bored. I was contemplating turning it off when I realised that what I was watching was basically all the film had to offer.

Die Hard, Speed, Robocop, True Lies, T2, Mad Max 2, Point Break.....these are what I call action films. They offer more than just non-stop mindless killing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I watched the first one, and bought myself a bottle of Blanton's single barrel bourbon soon after.
    I also have a dog, but the dog is still alive.

I found it utterly tedious. When all a film has is non-stop mindless violence with no discernible 'plot', no sense of humour or irony and is akin to watching someone else playing a shoot em up video game then I tend get a bit bored. I was contemplating turning it off when I realised that what I was watching was basically all the film had to offer.

Die Hard, Speed, Robocop, True Lies, T2, Mad Max 2, Point Break.....these are what I call action films. They offer more than just non-stop mindless killing.

Your words mirror my thoughts exactly!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I was half way through before I realised it was style over substance and I was then able to relax and accept the film for what it was.
    It reminded me a little of an older film called Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen which similarly asked little of us other than to switch our brains off and go with it.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    NicNac wrote: »
    I was half way through before I realised it was style over substance and I was then able to relax and accept the film for what it was.
    It reminded me a little of an older film called Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen which similarly asked little of us other than to switch our brains off and go with it.

The difference is that Shoot 'Em Up had a sense of humour, an actual plot and characters you cared a semblance for.

I love that film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The first one was good. The second one is five times better.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    John Wick 3 is currently shooting in NY
    Working Title is John Wick 3 - Parabellum
    which is latin for Prepare for War.

Chad Stahelski seems to be back as director as well.
    4606aazolgw01.jpg

And the first photo from the set
    johnwick3.png

The first one was good. The second one is five times better.
    I agree. Most people seem to like 1 more, but while i certainly like it, the second one is incredible. I love the series, 2 movies in it is already one of my favorite Hitman/Assassin series.