BOND POLLS 2017: Craig stays or leaves? Choose one of the four options [RESULTS, page 12]

1789101113»

Comments

What s wrong with Watchmen?

(Keep it under 10 000 words)

One of the best adaptations of any genius comic book.

It's fine, and I enjoy it. But film of the century? A pretty bizarre and hilarious comment to make when we're not even two decades in and better films by more talented people have been made.

Most of the glory of Watchmen I give to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Snyder did fine, and in fact changed some things that work better than in the book, but the original source will always be the most rich and interesting, as it must be.
    I don't know about other fans, but I can never watch the 60s films separately, except for maybe Goldfinger, because they are connected. From Russia with Love is a sequel to Dr. No, and continuity is kept from the SPECTRE arc from Thunderball through to Diamonds. If I don't watch them in order it feels criminal, even more so if I watch You Only Live Twice and watch an earlier film after. You just can't do it; it's madness.

Eh?

I think I explained it quite well.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can't remember how I voted back then, but I'd go for C today.

I know. you've been pretty clear about the C-option all along;-). And let's face..that might still happen. Nothing has been confirmed yet by EON with regard to Daniel Craig.

My biggest worry with option C, especially with regard to the long production gaps (3 to 4 years)? That the Bond franchise slowly will become less recognizable, less of the market leader and trendsetter within the spy-/action genre. I think a reboot is very risky. We know what happened to the Batman-franchise when Ben Affleck became Batman/Bruce Wayne and when Jeremy Renner got the lead part in the Bourne franchise. In the latter case it actually hurt the Bourne-franchise severely.

@Gustav_Graves, Affleck is actually one of the few things people seem excited about when it comes to the DC films. The reason there was an outcry when he stepped down to direct was because they really wanted to see his vision. Folks like me don't like this Batman for how the character has been written, but even I will readily admit that for who this Batman is, Ben played quite well. I've never heard massive criticism or even minor criticism, and when reviews came out it was a common practice to read, "this movie was garbage, but I liked Ben and Wonder Woman."

The Bourne comparison really doesn't make sense to make. Renner wasn't rebooted as Bourne, nor was the series reset to appear unconnected to the first three. The continuity was quite clear. The problem with that movie wasn't Renner or the choice to do a Bourne-less film, it was because the film was limp, hollow, and injected a super serum into what was a grounded spy thriller series. If the execution was up to snuff maybe it would've soared higher, though they shouldn't have tried in the first place if that's all they could do.

I still believe that the relaunch of the DC Universe got severely hindered by the great "Dark Knight"-trilogy. Christopher Nolan set the bar so high. A bit like Sam Mendes 1st Bond film and Martin Campbell's 2nd Bond film. Reviews almost immediately compared Zack Snyder with Christopher Nolan...and all other aspects of the film. "It lacked the Nolan vibe", was commonly heard/read in reviews. So having said that the criticism wasn't mild, and then "Man Of Steel" and "Batman vs. Superman" were even reboots of what came before them.

I also remember that, like it or not, Jeremy Renner got compared easily with Matt Damon in reviews. Then it doesn't matter if they are the same character or not, if you use the "Bourne"-title so loud and clear, then you obviously want to milk out that franchise a bit more..... And it didn't work. Personally, I liked "The Bourne Legacy" a lot, but I think the film got hindered by that very legacy of Matt Damon as Bourne. Then Matt Damon returns one more time, in a movie that's as good as its predecessors, but by then we know that the Bourne-franchise simply misses too many elements to become a long-term franchise, in which well-known aspects of the franchise are interchanged with originality.

Having said that, I sincerely have my worries about option C). To me, I think it would be a sign of very good scriptwriting if option A) turns out to be a very good Bond film, whereas option C) to me seems quite an easy escape creatively, regardless of the quality of such a film. I think what makes Bond eventually big......is the quality of the films being a bit more standalone than other cinematic universes. And I think the best way for that....is writing a very good story period....for Daniel Craig. And to go the standalone-route a bit more nuanced, with a SF-type or GF-type of film....instead of rebooting the whole damn thing.

I don't want another new cinematic universe for Bond. I want to continue it.....with less references to Bond's past but with good scriptwriting that stays focused on the mission. It can be done!

The quality of Nolan's work was definitely going to be missed when Snyder, a glorified cinematographer, got the job ....

I agree it's been quite some time, since he made something good, but that term doesn't do him any justice. Watchmen to me is one of, maybe the, movie of the century. Also, 300 was quite groundbreaking as well. And I'm even not a comic fan very much.

Snyder is fine to okay when he's adapting something, but when it comes to storytelling I find he lacks immensely. I used to enjoy him, but the respect wanes and wanes. So many of his directorial decisions are down to what is "cool" instead of what has utility, and that's why I feel he's largely a style over substance director, and when he does have substance it's with the finesse and subtlety of a bazooka. The Christ imagery in Man of Steel being an example of it.

Watchmen the film of the century? Now I think I've heard it all.

No, that's I am Legend, right?

@Mendes4Lyfe, I assume this is another moment where you're trying to be both cheeky and clever? I think you're going to need a bit more practice yet, mate. A lot more. You're not going to stop folks like me from making you and Turner the butt of a lot more jokes with sorry attempts like that. ;)

You'd be better off trying to "retort" me with a film I've actually given high kudos to, rather than I Am Legend. I love the movie and think it has a lot to offer and teach, but I don't think any film at this point is worthy of being called the film of the anything, and certainly not century. I think we've got a few too many pseudo-Eberts around here.

I know. you've been pretty clear about the C-option all along;-). And let's face..that might still happen. Nothing has been confirmed yet by EON with regard to Daniel Craig.

My biggest worry with option C, especially with regard to the long production gaps (3 to 4 years)? That the Bond franchise slowly will become less recognizable, less of the market leader and trendsetter within the spy-/action genre. I think a reboot is very risky. We know what happened to the Batman-franchise when Ben Affleck became Batman/Bruce Wayne and when Jeremy Renner got the lead part in the Bourne franchise. In the latter case it actually hurt the Bourne-franchise severely.

@Gustav_Graves, Affleck is actually one of the few things people seem excited about when it comes to the DC films. The reason there was an outcry when he stepped down to direct was because they really wanted to see his vision. Folks like me don't like this Batman for how the character has been written, but even I will readily admit that for who this Batman is, Ben played quite well. I've never heard massive criticism or even minor criticism, and when reviews came out it was a common practice to read, "this movie was garbage, but I liked Ben and Wonder Woman."

The Bourne comparison really doesn't make sense to make. Renner wasn't rebooted as Bourne, nor was the series reset to appear unconnected to the first three. The continuity was quite clear. The problem with that movie wasn't Renner or the choice to do a Bourne-less film, it was because the film was limp, hollow, and injected a super serum into what was a grounded spy thriller series. If the execution was up to snuff maybe it would've soared higher, though they shouldn't have tried in the first place if that's all they could do.

I still believe that the relaunch of the DC Universe got severely hindered by the great "Dark Knight"-trilogy. Christopher Nolan set the bar so high. A bit like Sam Mendes 1st Bond film and Martin Campbell's 2nd Bond film. Reviews almost immediately compared Zack Snyder with Christopher Nolan...and all other aspects of the film. "It lacked the Nolan vibe", was commonly heard/read in reviews. So having said that the criticism wasn't mild, and then "Man Of Steel" and "Batman vs. Superman" were even reboots of what came before them.

I also remember that, like it or not, Jeremy Renner got compared easily with Matt Damon in reviews. Then it doesn't matter if they are the same character or not, if you use the "Bourne"-title so loud and clear, then you obviously want to milk out that franchise a bit more..... And it didn't work. Personally, I liked "The Bourne Legacy" a lot, but I think the film got hindered by that very legacy of Matt Damon as Bourne. Then Matt Damon returns one more time, in a movie that's as good as its predecessors, but by then we know that the Bourne-franchise simply misses too many elements to become a long-term franchise, in which well-known aspects of the franchise are interchanged with originality.

Having said that, I sincerely have my worries about option C). To me, I think it would be a sign of very good scriptwriting if option A) turns out to be a very good Bond film, whereas option C) to me seems quite an easy escape creatively, regardless of the quality of such a film. I think what makes Bond eventually big......is the quality of the films being a bit more standalone than other cinematic universes. And I think the best way for that....is writing a very good story period....for Daniel Craig. And to go the standalone-route a bit more nuanced, with a SF-type or GF-type of film....instead of rebooting the whole damn thing.

I don't want another new cinematic universe for Bond. I want to continue it.....with less references to Bond's past but with good scriptwriting that stays focused on the mission. It can be done!

The quality of Nolan's work was definitely going to be missed when Snyder, a glorified cinematographer, got the job ....

I agree it's been quite some time, since he made something good, but that term doesn't do him any justice. Watchmen to me is one of, maybe the, movie of the century. Also, 300 was quite groundbreaking as well. And I'm even not a comic fan very much.

Snyder is fine to okay when he's adapting something, but when it comes to storytelling I find he lacks immensely. I used to enjoy him, but the respect wanes and wanes. So many of his directorial decisions are down to what is "cool" instead of what has utility, and that's why I feel he's largely a style over substance director, and when he does have substance it's with the finesse and subtlety of a bazooka. The Christ imagery in Man of Steel being an example of it.

Obviously you haven't. Otherwise you might realize it yourself.
    In fact it's the multi layered storytelling in watchmen that makes it such a fantastic, almost humbling experience.

It's alright, sure. And had the rich tapestry of Moore and Gibbons to pull from. I'd give the film more points if it was original, but I would expect Snyder to at least make a serviceable film from such an ample source of storytelling as the comic.

Still it was considered unfilmable and he did it and excelled on the highest level. Manny a director has failed to tell much more simpler storylines ( i'm looking at you Mendes)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

It's fine, and I enjoy it. But film of the century? A pretty bizarre and hilarious comment to make when we're not even two decades in and better films by more talented people have been made.

Most of the glory of Watchmen I give to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Snyder did fine, and in fact changed some things that work better than in the book, but the original source will always be the most rich and interesting, as it must be.
    I don't know about other fans, but I can never watch the 60s films separately, except for maybe Goldfinger, because they are connected. From Russia with Love is a sequel to Dr. No, and continuity is kept from the SPECTRE arc from Thunderball through to Diamonds. If I don't watch them in order it feels criminal, even more so if I watch You Only Live Twice and watch an earlier film after. You just can't do it; it's madness.

Eh?

@Mendes4Lyfe, I assume this is another moment where you're trying to be both cheeky and clever? I think you're going to need a bit more practice yet, mate. A lot more. You're not going to stop folks like me from making you and Turner the butt of a lot more jokes with sorry attempts like that. ;)

You'd be better off trying to "retort" me with a film I've actually given high kudos to, rather than I Am Legend. I love the movie and think it has a lot to offer and teach, but I don't think any film at this point is worthy of being called the film of the anything, and certainly not century. I think we've got a few too many pseudo-Eberts around here.

In fact it's the multi layered storytelling in watchmen that makes it such a fantastic, almost humbling experience.

It's alright, sure. And had the rich tapestry of Moore and Gibbons to pull from. I'd give the film more points if it was original, but I would expect Snyder to at least make a serviceable film from such an ample source of storytelling as the comic.

Still it was considered unfilmable and he did it and excelled on the highest level. Manny a director has failed to tell much more simpler storylines ( i'm looking at you Mendes)

Well, success is relative. The film didn't seem to light audiences on fire, and certainly not critics. When you add in the fact that is had no legs as a film and was a bomb at the box office, success isn't looking like the best word. But, I'm glad you enjoy it and and indifference regardless.

Now if it's okay with you, I'm going to quit talking about a comic book film in a Bond voting thread as I should've obviously avoided even referencing in the first place.
    Well, success is relative. The film didn't seem to light audiences on fire, and certainly not critics. When you add in the fact that is had no legs as a film and was a bomb at the box office, success isn't looking like the best word. But, I'm glad you enjoy it and and indifference regardless.

Now if it's okay with you, I'm going to quit talking about a comic book film in a Bond voting thread as I should've obviously avoided even referencing in the first place.

Off course not @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 . I think it's a very valid discussion, even in this poll. Let's not forget that most likely Daniel Craig will be co-producer again for the next film (if he returns). So why not letting him read some of those new comic books??
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Eh?

I think you were well within your rights given he claimed it was the best film of the century.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Off course not @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 . I think it's a very valid discussion, even in this poll. Let's not forget that most likely Daniel Craig will be co-producer again for the next film (if he returns). So why not letting him read some of those new comic books??

@Gustav_Graves, I am happy you aren't upset about the topic going off, as that wasn't my intention, but it has little relevancy to be fair. I also don't think Dan wants to read a comic that came out in the late 80s. But maybe, just maybe. ;)

Eh?

I think you were well within your rights given he claimed it was the best film of the century.

@TheWizardOfIce, true, but I should've shown more restraint. Or retorted with the real best film of the century, Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He stays and finishes what he started.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,091
    Maybe if he has finished what he started.
    Maybe if he has finished what he started.

Then he can crawl into his flying saucer and go home! :O ;) :D :))
    _91915564_ufo.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I voted for option C back then, and would do so again now. However, I would like keep Fiennes, Wishaw and Harris on to support the new Bond, and honestly, I like those three actors playing those roles.
    I voted for option C back then, and would do so again now. However, I would like keep Fiennes, Wishaw and Harris on to support the new Bond, and honestly, I like those three actors playing those roles.

And what about dear old Rory...?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,894

Well naturally, Rory will continue as Tanner. I also believe that using CGI, Rory should be placed into each film pre QOS. Just drop him in... like a pebble in a pond.

Well naturally, Rory will continue as Tanner. I also believe that using CGI, Rory should be placed into each film pre QOS. Just drop him in... like a pebble in a pond.

A special edition Rory box set? Count me in!!

Given that he has zero screen presence you could insert him into any scene in Bond history without it being obtrusive in the slightest.

A special edition Rory box set? Count me in!!

Given that he has zero screen presence you could insert him into any scene in Bond history without it being obtrusive in the slightest.

I'm also picturing a Tanner spin-off. Imagine Die Hard, but set in the MI6 building, and rather than John McClane running around shooting people, it is Tanner hiding under a desk, while other characters do the shooting (off screen) for 120 minutes.
    In case some of you missed it the first time. ;)
    Km84guY.jpg
  • I voted for option C back then, and would do so again now. However, I would like keep Fiennes, Wishaw and Harris on to support the new Bond, and honestly, I like those three actors playing those roles.

I think Wishaw is great and should stay on for as long as Desmond, but Harris has been underwhelming and Fiennes is good but replaceable. It depends imo. If they go for a continuation of the Craig era with the next guy then they should all stay on, but they do a reboot of any kind then they should probably get a new M and MP just to make it more clear imo.

@Mendes4Lyfe suggested in another thread that when the next actor comes around we should have a Bondless PTS setting up the story and then after the titles skip the briefing and just have Bond get off the plane somewhere on his mission. I really love that idea. Instantly makes him more mysterious and enigmatic, plus the scenes at MI6 have felt a bit going through the motions and full of exposition for years now. If they wanted to really freshen things up they could do a good few films with no M, no MP and no Q. Have them referenced directly and indirectly so their presence is felt even if they're there off screen, but don't bother with any of the London stuff. Imagine if Bond surprised the audience with a gadget rather than it being set up earlier on (I'm not counting the LALD or SP watches because they're cheating) or if he arrived at a location and you weren't sure straight away why he's there or what his mission was, adding more mystery to the character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @thelivingroyale, even if they recast I think they only need to keep one of this gang, and Whishaw is the one I'm most partial too because I think he's differentiated himself best. It's not necessary to keep them all on. Fiennes is decent enough but there are so many other actors I can think of who will do a better job as M than him imho.
    A Bondless PTS? I am not against that, but only if it doesn't become a constant. If Bond #25 is the debut of a new Bond, I want the PTS to be a proper PTS, full gun barrel, Bond, Bond theme, the whole lot. For Bond #26, i'd be more open to not having Bond in the PTS.

As for whether the next Bond will continue in the same era/timeline/whatever you want to call it, I don't think it matters. They gutted the series in 2006, but still kept Dench on. For the time being, all I see needing a change cast wise, is Bond. Replace Craig, and a feeling of freshness will come with the new Bond.
    And, four days ago I conducted the very same poll in the "Bond Fan Enthusiasts" Facebook-Group. I also asked to detailedly look into the four very same poll options. These were the results:

bxSP27E.jpg
    oQSEboc.jpg
    omsSJsy.jpg

Option A] 60 voters = 76,92%
    Option B] 03 voters = 03,85%
    Option C] 07 voters = 08,97%
    Option D] 08 voters = 10,26%
    TOTAL......78 voters (so far)

Daniel Craig returns = Option A + D combined = 87,18%
    Daniel Craig resigns = Option B + C combined = 12,82%

So the poll only started four days ago, on August 5th. Almost the same amount of people have voted in this closed Facebook Group. And the majority that wants Daniel Craig to return is even bigger there.

Obviously, it's merely a Facebook Group, making it a lot easier to vote. Because you can create a poll yourself there (why doesn't our forum have an option to make polls??). And on Facebook people tend to be less critical than in here. Yet, those are 'Bond Enthusiasts' also. Perhaps not as knowledgeable as us, but still their vote should be looked into as well. Democracy eh ;-).
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @Gustav_Graves, it appears to me that you are trying to convince those of us who voted for 'C' that we should change our opinion based on your polls. Am I correct? Or are you trying to justify Craig's return by suggesting that EON are only 'giving us what the people want'?

At the end of the day, I'm not going to change my view that they should recast and reboot, even if you send me the results from 20 'Bond Enthusiast' polls littering the internet.

It's more a question of acceptance rather than agreement from my perspective. I accept what EON does. I don't have to agree with it.
    @Gustav_Graves, it appears to me that you are trying to convince those of us who voted for 'C' that we should change our opinion based on your polls. Am I correct? Or are you trying to justify Craig's return by suggesting that EON are only 'giving us what the people want'?

At the end of the day, I'm not going to change my view that they should recast and reboot, even if you send me the results from 20 'Bond Enthusiast' polls littering the internet.

It's more a question of acceptance rather than agreement from my perspective. I accept what EON does. I don't have to agree with it.

No @BondJames :-). Not at all! And why would I? If such convincing majorities vote for either this or that option :-). I just found it interesting to compare results. That's all. Actually? Stand for your vote C] please!! I prefer that! Never change it! :-)

No @BondJames :-). Not at all! And why would I? If such convincing majorities vote for either this or that option :-). I just found it interesting to compare results. That's all. Actually? Stand for your vote C] please!! I prefer that! Never change it! :-)
    Phew!. Thanks. I'm afraid my opinion is set in stone, so I'm either going to have to lump it when the announcement comes (based on recent rumours) or be pleasantly surprised.

Phew!. Thanks. I'm afraid my opinion is set in stone, so I'm either going to have to lump it when the announcement comes (based on recent rumours) or be pleasantly surprised.

Dear @BondJames. If it's C] anyway I will be interested in how this is going to turn out.
    Andddd, Mmr Craig indeed does return ;-)!
    Maybe you should re run the poll with just options A and D on the table?

You read recently Daniel Craig is one more James Bond in Bond 25 as 007. Now the current M well more likely to stay on. Ralph Fiennes from the movie version of The Avengers. So Noemi Harries as well. Now Ben Wishaw who starred with Daniel Craig in few movies. He likely to move on the other things. He failed to take Dr.Who from Peter Capaldi. It went to a Woman. I don't what his future is. But I glad Daniel Craig come back for the 5th as 007 in Bond 25. That all I got to say