BOND POLLS 2017: Craig stays or leaves? Choose one of the four options [RESULTS, page 12]

Comments

Definitely A
    B. Time for Craig to go.
    " C " for me. I'd also like to add that the new re-boot should be a trilogy written and directed by Christopher Nolan set in the 1950's with a young, tall, dark haired actor as Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    " C " for me. I'd also like to add that the new re-boot should be a trilogy written and directed by Christopher Nolan set in the 1950's with a young, tall, dark haired actor as Bond.

Almost entirely accurate statement.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The prospect of Nolan is horrifying to me.

In what way could Nolan making a Bond film be anything but epic? With Hanz Zimmer scoring! Come on guys, don't tell me you didn't watch Inception and a Bond movie never crossed your mind, especially the ending in the snow base...
    @sirseanisbond

We already got The Dark Knight film in the Bond franchise. And a bad copy of it too.
    Why would anyone want Nolan as director after Mendes?

What we need is a director that can do fun, entertainment without bury the film in overly serious drama.
    And especially someone that actually can direct action. The last one that was capable of doing that was Campbell in CR. And the action in CR is even its weak point.
  • RC7RC7
    Eternally grateful some of you aren't in charge.
    Empire magazine do a bonus mag this month, all about Nolan and his films. Have to say i'm with Birdleson in this. It isn't that impressive an output. Insomnia, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, after that its pretty poor. Will prob give Dunkirk a view but have not high expectations.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't like Nolan either. He'd be a terrible choice for Bond considering Mendes was basically Diet Nolan.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I don't like Nolan either. He'd be a terrible choice for Bond considering Mendes was basically Diet Nolan.

hahahahahahahahaha........ oh that's priceless and I have to remember that!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Empire magazine do a bonus mag this month, all about Nolan and his films. Have to say i'm with Birdleson in this. It isn't that impressive an output. Insomnia, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, after that its pretty poor. Will prob give Dunkirk a view but have not high expectations.

Well done Barry Norman. You've only missed out his two best films - Memento and The Prestige.

That said he's on a bit of a downward spiral recently. TDKR was bloated and plodding (although still leagues ahead of the CGI candy floss served up by Marvel) and Interstellar was far too self indulgent and again in need of trimming down. I would expect Dunkirk to be at least half decent at the very worst.
  • Wow, no love for Interstellar? That's my second favorite Nolan after Batman Begins. Lengthy, but gripping every step of the way.

Then again, I guess I'm in the minority as The Dark Knight and Inception aren't my cup of broody tea.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    All his films have been bloody excellent as far as I'm concerned. Interstellar was a bit heavy on the weepy melodrama, but given the complexity of what they were trying to convey, I think he did a super job. The same goes for Inception. TDKR gets short shrift around these parts, but I love it.

I recently saw the Dunkirk trailer on the big screen. It followed a few PoS CGI infested trailers and the difference was clear. Everyone perked up.

One of the best in the business at the moment.
    I'm always surprised at how many people on here despise the idea of Nolan making a Bond film. Someone mentioned earlier, "They already made a Nolan Bond film, its called Skyfall." That puzzles me because is that meant as a compliment or an accusation? I for one was very disappointed with Skyfall because I hate the "Bond is too old" and the "MI6 is outdated" story line, and above all the third act is an anticlimactic bore which feels like Bond doing a sad "Home Alone" movie.

Anyway, I think Nolan would do a great job at Bond because I have faith in his ability to make a film that fits the character. His films have great character driven plots while maintaining incredibly high stakes, which is what I think we'd all like to see in a Bond film.

This push-back on Nolan goth me thinking though, which directer would you guys rather see helm a Bond film: Nolan or Tarantino? He's been kicked around a bunch as a potential Bond director on these forums for a long time, but I find it highly unlikely that Quentin would be given the role, or frankly that he'd accept it at this stage of his career because his films have become so reliant on social commentary and gratuitous violence, he probably wouldn't be able to get EON to give him the type of freedom he would want. But the question still remains, and I'll post it again like this:

If EON were to reboot the Bond series again and set it in the 1950's, who would you rather have directing the film: Christopher Nolan or Quentin Tarantino?
    Both are equally appalling.

and let's add Guy Ritchie to that list...
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'd be happy with either but I'd prefer Nolan. Tarantino is more avant-garde. Nolan can operate within an established framework, as he proved to great success with Batman. I've always felt that Tarantino should have some involvement in dialogue only.

Those who say that SF is a Nolan film are being disingenuous. SF is first and foremost a Mendes film but it borrows concepts and themes from Nolan's groundbreaking Bat ventures.

If Nolan were to touch it, I'd like him to do one only. I'd be open to Spielberg taking a crack at it (finally) as well.
    Both are equally appalling.

and let's add Guy Ritchie to that list...

How on earth is Guy Ritchie on this list?

Tarantino and Nolan may be divisive but they are both talented and, crucially, a track record of not pissing studio's budgets away. After his last two turkeys Guy must be looking at the best part of 300m lost for WB.

Babs first and foremost not going to risk the box office and Guy represents money down the drain.
    Tarantino made one good movie since he became famous. Kill Bill.
    Nolan made two good films since getting to fame. Batsy Begins and Interception.
    Guy has made half a good one since getting a name. Sherlock Holmes.

All three are incredibly overrated.
    Tarantino made one good movie since he became famous. Kill Bill.
    Nolan made two good films since getting to fame. Batsy Begins and Interception.
    Guy has made half a good one since getting a name. Sherlock Holmes.

All three are incredibly overrated.

I'd expect nothing less from you.

Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds and Django all infinitely better than the overly self indulgent Kill Bill. Its like a Tarantino fanfilm.

The Prestige and TDK are better/at least as good as BB and Inception.

Snatch is solid (although retreads a lot of the Lock Stock ground) and RDJ carries the prettty average Sherlock films on his back. Other than that Ritchie's career has been a disaster. I'd agree Ritchie is shockingly overrated given the budgets they keep throwing at him and he keeps failing to turn into profit.

QT hit the high water mark with Pulp Fiction so if he is overrated its only because of the standard he set early on. He still makes good films but they all end up being judged against the leviathan of PF.

Nolan is slightly overrated IMO. He delivers very good films but truly great ones? He's a bit like Gary Neville. 8 out of 10 every time.

The big difference is QT and Nolan's films don't lose serious amounts of money.

@TheWizardOfIce
    I regard PF to be the film that made Tarantino a household name. Naturally Pulp Fiction is his best film by far.
    But since then I liked Kill Bill most and Jackie Brown is great but nowhere as good as PF.

But ok then, Tarantino made two good films after PF, Jackie and Bill.

The Prestige I liked well enough, but it's nowhere near the greatness of Interception of BB.

TDK, well, I find it overrated, very. Against BB it has many flaws and there is a reason why I hate Silva so much. I never liked Ledger's Joker, and Silva is a carbon copy of him of sorts.

As for Basterds, Waltz in the opening scene is great and then it goes downhill fast and the bloody last scene in the theatre is a disgrace and insult.

Anyway. Just saying.

As for BO. Of course Nolan and Tarantino have delivered so many times. Ritchie is a money burning machine, I've always said so.

One of my favourite films ever is From Dusk Til Dawn and I love every single moment of Tarantino in it.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Judging Inglourious Basterds at face value is like watching an episode of Monty Python and complaining it's not realistic.
    Why can't we focus a bit on the good work certain directors have done in here? Instead of blasting them like pure utter dogshit.

Noland is a terrific filmmaker. In fact, most of his movies are already instant classics. I am looking forward to "Dunkirk"

Might this news article from today soon make this topic unnecessary ;-)?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4679018/Daniel-Craig-set-sign-fifth-James-Bond-film.html
    time to revisit this topic a bit ;-)
  • I've said this a lot lately but I want him to leave. Soft reboot with only Wishaw staying on. SP felt like the end of his era. I could have maybe got on board with one more film if they'd got it out quickly enough but the idea of having waited four years just for another Craig film seems really anti climatic to me. Mostly because, as much as I love the film, I really can't think of an interesting premise for a sequel, and they can't just brush it under the carpet after the recent emphasis on continuity.

Great actor, great Bond. But I'm over it. Bond is a series that's thrived off change and I think change is needed now. Time to freshen things up a bit. A Nolan Bond film starring Idris Elba (unrealistic I know) or Jack O'Connell would be my preference but whatever the case I feel like it's time for a clean slate and a reboot in the same way that GE was.

Wishaw should stay on though. I can't stress that enough. If Dench got to stay then it'd be a crime to let him go. He could play Q until he's as old as Desmond was.
    I've said this a lot lately but I want him to leave. Soft reboot with only Wishaw staying on. SP felt like the end of his era. I could have maybe got on board with one more film if they'd got it out quickly enough but the idea of having waited four years just for another Craig film seems really anti climatic to me. Mostly because, as much as I love the film, I really can't think of an interesting premise for a sequel, and they can't just brush it under the carpet after the recent emphasis on continuity.

What about this:
    https://www.docdroid.net/q503afj/story-treatment-james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-final-2docx.pdf

You just need to be creative....and also trust the writers, even if we all have some serious doubt about them. Better to empower them to do better, then completely putting your back at EON. I mean, come on...let's be happy about the fact we get a new film in 2019.

Sorry for saying this, but at times the hardliners on this forum really becomes 'ass-pissing' negative with regard to Daniel Craig. Unnecessary. It's not even reflected in this very poll!
  • I've read bits of your idea before @Gustav but to be honest I don't like the idea of just breaking up Bond and Madeline and having him go back. Completely undermines the character arc of Bond in SP, walking away from killing. The only way to really follow up on things is to kill Madeline, punishing him for thinking he could leave his old life behind, but that's boring imo.

And at the end of the day even if they did easily just write their way out of it with a half arsed explanation and go for a stand alone film with Craig, what would be the point? What was the point then in establishing this continuity heavy approach with a sense of "this is what it's all been leading up to" in SP only to go back on it? Is it really worth undermining what they've done so far just to get Craig back?

Plus even a more standard Bond on a mission film with Craig would still be a Craig film. They'd still have to keep the same sort of tone and style, and address SP (which I loved btw) in some way shape or form. Because if they did go for something properly fresh and different but keep Craig in the role it'd just be jarring after the last four. Because his Bond films aren't stand alone films like the old ones. They're their own thing ala Nolan's Batman. It's much harder to do a change in direction with Craig now than it was for say Roger Moore after MR. I was happy with the heavy continuity, made a nice change, but they can't have it both ways. They've commited to that now and should stick with it.

I'm not trying to be negative. Craig has been brilliant. He's one of the best Bonds and is by far the most talented actor to play the part imo. But I, like many other fans, would prefer a fresh start at this point because his era just feels finished and played out to us. It's nothing personal and I don't appreciate you painting me as someone shitting on Craigfor the fun of it because I'd rather a fresh start instead of the prospect of almost 15 years of the same actor.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've said this a lot lately but I want him to leave. Soft reboot with only Wishaw staying on. SP felt like the end of his era. I could have maybe got on board with one more film if they'd got it out quickly enough but the idea of having waited four years just for another Craig film seems really anti climatic to me. Mostly because, as much as I love the film, I really can't think of an interesting premise for a sequel, and they can't just brush it under the carpet after the recent emphasis on continuity.

Great actor, great Bond. But I'm over it. Bond is a series that's thrived off change and I think change is needed now. Time to freshen things up a bit. A Nolan Bond film starring Idris Elba (unrealistic I know) or Jack O'Connell would be my preference but whatever the case I feel like it's time for a clean slate and a reboot in the same way that GE was.

Wishaw should stay on though. I can't stress that enough. If Dench got to stay then it'd be a crime to let him go. He could play Q until he's as old as Desmond was.
    Fully agreed @thelivingroyale. I was a supporter but I'm over it too. They should have filmed the 'back to back' with him if they wanted one more. He didn't want to do it though, and now it's time to move on after 4 years imho.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    and trust the writers, even if we all have some serious doubt about them. Better to empower them to do better, then completely putting your back at EON.

Maybe get Tamahori back too and just trust him? Could also get that NZ bird who did the CGI for the parasurfing back and trust her and empower her to do better.

I presume they must have a discount on EON flavoured Kool Aid at your supermarket at the moment?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I hear you @thelivingroyale. I was ambivalent to Craig before SP, but after watching his performance I really want him back.