The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    FYEO and TLD were definitely the best directed films Glen made.

View was his worst.
    It's all relative. I still prefer View to most of the last 25 years
    Getafix wrote: »
    It's all relative. I still prefer View to most of the last 25 years

I used to love AVTAK when I was younger but nowadays its on-the-whole pretty poor.

Rather limp direction and at times terribly edited.

When I re-watched 5 of 7 of Moore's films recently (which included TSWLM, MR, FYEO, OP and AVTAK) View was my least favourite.

Even this PTS seems quite "samey" in comparison to what came before and Moore just wasn't very convincing by this point.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    In my mind Glen did admirably well. His three films with Rog were no masterpieces but they were entertaining entries nonetheless.

TLD and especially LTK are amongst the Best of Bond in my opinion, he really excelled at the end of his tenure.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I think Glen has said he's proudest of LTK. Not sure I agree it's his best, but as a body of work he should rightly feel satisfied with all 5.

I'd agree AVTAK is the weakest, but as I said, it's all relative. Still much prefer it to the Brosnan films.
    According to Glens book, For My Eyes Only, he reckoned the reason he wasn't offered anything decent to direct after Bond was that Producers thought he was used to big budgets on the 007 movies!
    To be honest I struggle to see Glen keeping up with the big action directors of the 90s like Cameron, Harlin, McTiernan etc
    The bond films had a house style back then. Consistently entertaining, excellent action and coherent, well told plots. Glen was central to that. Who remembers a Harlin movie these days?
    The bond films had a house style back then. Consistently entertaining, excellent action and coherent, well told plots. Glen was central to that. Who remembers a Harlin movie these days?

Cliffhanger?? Still an impressive film in terms of scale. And the brilliant opening sequence. That's probably his most remembered film though.

I argue that the Bond "house style" by that point was starting to look a little tired.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Cliffhanger?? Still an impressive film in terms of scale. And the brilliant opening sequence.
    Cliffhanger is great fun. I must revisit it soon. Lithgow is a hoot. Now there's an American who can do a half decent English accent.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I would choose any Glen Bond film over anything Renny Harlin ever made, including Cliffhanger.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cliffhanger?? Still an impressive film in terms of scale. And the brilliant opening sequence.
    Cliffhanger is great fun. I must revisit it soon. Lithgow is a hoot. Now there's an American who can do a half decent English accent.

Lithgow would ,and still could,make a great Bond villain.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Glen, like Moore, was very proud of his association with Bond. He didn't use excuses to bail out like |Guy 'I'm out of ideas' Hamilton or Sam 'I'm out of ideas' Mendes (oo-er, pattern emerging).

So, you are quite right @Getafix, he slotted happily into the house style.

The takings though began to suffer as more adventurous movies got a hold. Bond wasn't really competing with Die Hard or The Terminator, and it was only good will towards the franchise, and the unerring support of the UK and the rest of Europe that kept things ticking over.

The series needed a revamp. A new director, a more modern look. The six year hiatus wasn't necessary, but it may have been a blessing in disguise.

As for Glen, I liked OP and I liked TLD. I thought he did good jobs on both of these.
    I agree @NicNac. I like most of Glen's films but I do sense that was when they started to really be accused of being "samey" - particularly during his collaboration with Roger.
    Thirty years ago was the royal premiere of Timothy Dalton's first James Bond film. Monday, June 29th 1987.

Happy 30th birthday, The Living Daylights. :)

Great movie
    Watched Lion in Winter for the first time yesterday too. Enjoyable film and good to see Dalton - and Hopkins - in their screen debuts, but the film undoubtedly belongs to Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole.
    Dalton and Hopkins should he teamed up again for B17. A crying shame.
    Watched Lion in Winter for the first time yesterday too. Enjoyable film and good to see Dalton - and Hopkins - in their screen debuts, but the film undoubtedly belongs to Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole.

One of the best movies ever. I love every minute of it.
    Hepburn and O'Toole radiate charisma.

John Barry score too.
    Nice words on Dalts from the Cubmeister.

http://www.007.com/focus-week-living-daylights/
    Ah defo have to watch TLD tonite! Clearly remember leaving the cinema on such a high back in 1987 having seen Daltons debut. He was outstanding! Classic Bond..Classic Bond movie!
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    Dalton's James Bond is incredible! Always super entertaining, and love all aspects of his films.

What is Mr. Dalton up to these days?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It doesn't seem so long ago we had the hoax about Connery being dead. Now it's Dalton's turn.

https://en.mediamass.net/people/timothy-dalton/deathhoax.html

These 'people' need to get a life...it's pathetic.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "A recent poll conducted for the Celebrity Post shows that a large majority (67%) of respondents think those Timothy Dalton death rumors are not funny anymore."

Not... funny... anymore. When are these hoaxes ever funny?
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Hard to imagine actual people engaged in this sort of business.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Oh, gosh, I'm glad I missed that.
    "A recent poll conducted for the Celebrity Post shows that a large majority (67%) of respondents think those Timothy Dalton death rumors are not funny anymore."

Not... funny... anymore. When are these hoaxes ever funny?

It's a worry that some idiots found this funny in the first place.

That mediamass page is just a template text in which they just change the name of the actor rumored to have passed away. There is no hoax about the death of the actor. The hoax is about the hoax of the death of the actor. Know what I mean? :D

Look here.