Comments

?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What is it you want an answer to?
    What is it you want an answer to?

About the James Webb Telescope perhaps?
    What was the question again?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Is it epic? yes, it is epic!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    NASA will fly over the Eye of Jupiter for the first time ever tonight:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasas-juno-spacecraft-to-fly-over-jupiters-great-red-spot-july-10
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    NASA will fly over the Eye of Jupiter for the first time ever tonight:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasas-juno-spacecraft-to-fly-over-jupiters-great-red-spot-july-10

It's really an awesome cyclone. I mean, how many Earths fit into this red sinkhole??

Nevertheless, the great red spot used to be even bigger:
    Jupiter_now_and_them_GRS_compa.jpg

But what makes me really curious about tonight's flyby, is how deep the red spot extends into the planet. Some scientists say the red spot is still a giant scar 'after-effect of an incredible large comet impact several thousands of years ago.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    But... when do we get the pictures? Anyway, does that mean in approximately another 100 years there won't be a spot left?
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    Here is an amazing video that I think many here may find interesting.

Thanks for posting that @IGotTheMessage that's a pretty cool video.

And for teardrops of Jupiter:

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-juno-mission-just-stared-right-into-jupiter-s-angry-red-eye
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Live stream of the SpaceX take-off from the Kennedy Space Center. T minus 8 minutes!

http://www.spacex.com/webcast
    wumo59369c362ef6a0.64741027.jpg
    Very, very cool. spotless landing! SpaceX is leading the way right now....
    I remember August 11th 1999 very very well. My dad and I travelled to the zone of totality', in the small nation of Luxembourg, for the total solar eclipse that shed its shadow over Europe. I have seen partial solar eclipses before. But experiencing pure utter darkness due to that zone of totality, felt like a true miracle to me. 30 sec's before totality the....light went off like that rather quickly! And that lasted for 3 mins.

Here you see a picture of the eclipsed sun with the pink-ish protuberanses and the white corona shine:
    Solar_eclipse_1999_4_NR.jpg

It was.....dark for those 3 mins. With a distinct circular dawn(or sunset) shine around every part of the horizon. Birds were fooled and were suddenly 'flying to bed'. All the tourists on the campsite started applauding and shouting like a bunch of kids. For a short moment, humanity really got impressed from all that wonder. Here's the zone of totality from August 11th 1999, the 21st of the 145th Saros cycle:
    SE1999Aug11T.png
    File:Saros_136_animation.gif
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Saros_145

And now the USA can enjoy exactly that what has been carved in my memory so dearly. On Monday, August 21st the 22nd of the 145th Saros Cycle eclipse will take place. This is the path of totality:
    SE2017Aug21T.png
    usa.jpg

I truly recommend all citizens in the USA and all other nationalities residing there on Monday, to travel to that zone of totality. You will experience true magic and wonder. And you will have a one-time memory that you can share with your family and children.
    /\ If I were in the States? I would most definitely make the trip to experience this!
    I'll gladly keep an eye out come Monday but who knows just how great the angle will be for me.
    Every time a solar eclipse has occurred here, it has been too cloudy to see a damn thing.
    Last time it just ended up beeing cold on a summer day. After five minutes I was done with it. lunar-eclipse-solar-eclipse-apocalypse.jpg
    Good one.
    I'll gladly keep an eye out come Monday but who knows just how great the angle will be for me.

You live in West-Virginia. If you can, try to go to Nashville, Tennessee. Or Hopkinsville, Kentucky. That's where the totality zone goes through. Mind you, the totality zone is a must. That's where it really gets dark. Outside the totality zone it's only a bit more shimmery. But no darkness.

You live in West-Virginia. If you can, try to go to Nashville, Tennessee. Or Hopkinsville, Kentucky. That's where the totality zone goes through. Mind you, the totality zone is a must. That's where it really gets dark. Outside the totality zone it's only a bit more shimmery. But no darkness.

Much, much easier said than done. If I don't see it from where I am, it's no big deal.
    Every time a solar eclipse has occurred here, it has been too cloudy to see a damn thing.

Now you know what it is like to live in the UK when something cool like this is going to happen! Lol!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Now you know what it is like to live in the UK when something cool like this is going to happen! Lol!

I was quite Lucky back in 1999 when I was in Luxembourg. Completely bright sky, almost no clouds. It really looked like this:

sofi_weit.JPG
    eclipse%203.jpg
    diamond-ring-ellis-beach.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.jpg?width=960

Mind you, above images you will only witness in the zone of totality.

I was quite Lucky back in 1999 when I was in Luxembourg. Completely bright sky, almost no clouds. It really looked like this:

sofi_weit.JPG
    eclipse%203.jpg
    diamond-ring-ellis-beach.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.jpg?width=960

Mind you, above images you will only witness in the zone of totality.

Wow Gustav! Those photographs are stunning! When things like this happen? It really makes you realise how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things!
    The sad thing is I fear a majority of people will spend the entire eclipse snapping pictures and Snapchats and videos instead of taking a mental image of the rare moment they're witnessing.
    The sad thing is I fear a majority of people will spend the entire eclipse snapping pictures and Snapchats and videos instead of taking a mental image of the rare moment they're witnessing.

In todays world sadly you are most likely correct with that assumption Creasy47!

In todays world sadly you are most likely correct with that assumption Creasy47!

I do appreciate those that do, though, since it gives those of us who can't view it such as myself an opportunity to check it out. Still, if I was in one of those prime areas to catch this, I'd likely throw on the appropriate shades and soak it all in.

I do appreciate those that do, though, since it gives those of us who can't view it such as myself an opportunity to check it out. Still, if I was in one of those prime areas to catch this, I'd likely throw on the appropriate shades and soak it all in.

And set some sort of recording equipment at the same time for prosperity? That is what I would certainly do!

And set some sort of recording equipment at the same time for prosperity? That is what I would certainly do!

That's a win/win right there!
    Here's a nice video a friend of mine made in 1999. Just watch the surrounding countryside from 1 min onwards. The light just goes....off within 30 sec's:

Only 4,5 hours left USA, and then you'll witness true magic :-D!