Is the Double-Take Pigeon the silliest thing in Moore's era?

Comments

• Jaws falling in love was the silliest thing in the Moore era, easily.
    MR is the silliest thing in the Moore era,closely followed by DR Kananga's giant fart as he turned into a human balloon.
    Yes it is.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Watched TMWTGG last night as part of my Rogerthon and it really isn't very good. It has the most stupid comedy moments of any film and when it isn't being inane is downright dull. Take Christopher Lee out and it's pretty dismal to be honest. Give me MR all day pigeon, Bondola and all. Even DAD rattles by without you getting bored.

The comedy lowlights:

Protracted scene where two teenage girls take on a kung fu school while Bond stands and watches.

Hapless Hip - the most gormless ally Bond has ever had whether it be driving off and leaving Bond in the clutches of the villains or running in the road like a headless chicken trying to flag down a taxi he's staggeringly inept.

Hapless Goodnight - the most gormless Bond girl Bond has ever been lumbered with. Getting locked in a wardrobe/boot, bumping into things with her arse, setting off massive explosions. Her only saving grace is how much of the running time she spends in a bikini.

The return of JW - Whilst his scenes are still moderately funny thanks only to the glorious Clifton James watching him being pushed into a canal is possibly even worse than the double take pigeon to be honest.

The slide whistle - one of the greatest stunts of all time turned into a loony tunes joke.

John Barry also needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here for the stupid comedy music that accompanies JW into the canal, Nick Nack and the slide whistle, but I guess the guy is entitled to an off day once.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    John Barry also needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here for the stupid comedy music that accompanies JW into the canal, Nick Nack and the slide whistle, but I guess the guy is entitled to an off day once.

I actually think with the way the scene plays out, music is needed when JW Pepper is fooling around with the elephant. It also allows for that Live and Let Die quotation. I'm not crazy about it, but I think it was justified. The Nick Nack bassoon theme that plays while he adjusts his tie works perfectly.

The slide whistle is inexcusable. Big mistake there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »

You think Barry burns in Hell for that?
    Is the slide whistle Barry's choice or was it an EON decision, directorial decision or what?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Is the slide whistle Barry's choice or was it an EON decision, directorial decision or what?

The Devil made him do it.

You think Barry burns in Hell for that?

Nah. In all seriousness, Barry is my favorite musician; not just film composer, but overall musician. But I don't know what was going through his mind when he made that choice. All the effort that went into that fantastic stunt and it's undermined with that whistle.

But Barry is terrific, and in fact, this score is terrific, and underrated.
    SaintMark wrote: »

His choice. Paraphrasing a bit, but he said something like "I took the liberty of poking fun at it (...) Even Cubby didn't like that".
  • DB5DB5
    The Roger Moore Bond films are just awful. Ditto YOLT and DAF. My advice for those considering a Bond marathon is to watch the first four Connery films, then go directly to OHMSS, and then proceed to Dalton, Brosnan and Craig.
    DB5 wrote: »
    The Roger Moore Bond films are just awful. Ditto YOLT and DAF. My advice for those considering a Bond marathon is to watch the first four Connery films, then go directly to OHMSS, and then proceed to Dalton, Brosnan and Craig.

each to his own, I really enjoy Roger a lot more than that navel staring crap we have been served recently. Saw FYEO in the cinema with a lot people actually enjoying themselves during a 007 flick. That was what Broccoli is about and the franchise as well.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 3,564
    After some consideration, I have decided that the 60+ year old Roger Moore and Patrick Macnee pretending to indulge in fisticuffs with two other aged specimens in AVTAK is the silliest thing in the Roger Moore era. Just don't ask me about the silliest thing in Brosnan's tenure, I'm not sure my own aged mind can stand the strain.
    After some consideration, I have decided that the 60+ year old Roger Moore and Patrick Macnee pretending to indulge in fisticuffs with two other aged specimens in AVTAK is the silliest thing in the Roger Moore era.
    Hilarious scene; so poorly put together. The tall guy picks up Bond then puts him down for no reason, without doing any harm to him. Then he voluntarily lies down on the wooden plank.
    The other fight, at Stacey's house, is pretty weak, too. Bond high kicks one of the bad guys, and it's patently not Roger Moore. Then Bond walks toward another one to punch him, and it's patently not Roger Moore. I don't know why, there was no running involved or anything. It was just walking.

And one of the goons gets hit by Bond (or Stacey, I don't recall), while trying to say something. In fact, he points a finger up, as if trying to say "let me explain", which makes no sense at all.
    I think the Craig and Moore films are poles apart, but I still get a lot of pleasure from a Moore Bond. The silliest cringe-inducing moment is the Tarzan yell, for me. I just can't imagine who thought that was a good idea. Moments later, there's a good joke ("no madam, I'm with the economy tour"). How I wish they'd have left it at that, at ditched the Carry on Up The Jungle capers.
    The FYEO Thatcher bit is okay by me, because it's at the end of the film, where it's a bit of light relief and not part of the main narrative. The same way the Connery wink at the end of NSNA is kind of okay, but wouldn't have been acceptable at all in the middle of the film.

My advice for those considering enjoying life is to ignore your advice. A world without Rog's Bond films is a very bleak place indeed and not somewhere I would wish to live.
    After some consideration, I have decided that the 60+ year old Roger Moore and Patrick Macnee pretending to indulge in fisticuffs with two other aged specimens in AVTAK is the silliest thing in the Roger Moore era. Just don't ask me about the silliest thing in Brosnan's tenure, I'm not sure my own aged mind can stand the strain.

That's a great shout actually. Absolutely awful. You wonder why Zorin only hired henchmen in their 50s rather than young guys at the peak of fitness? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that a guy in his 20s would have battered an aged Bond and his decrepit companion?

You have to feel sorry for Dolph Lundgren too. He was probably gutted he didn't get the part of Warehouse Goon but took it philosophically and thought 'Well it's my first film and although I didn't get a fight scene at least I got a small part. As it's a Bond film I bet the guy they got was really built and a great fighter and actor. One day I'll get to his level.'

And then he saw the film and thought 'WTF? They cast Bill Maynard from TV's The Gaffer as a Bond henchman?'
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189

Technically, Moore was still in his 50s but I get your point ;)

That is a very cringe-inducing scene. While that was bad, i'm not sure it was the "silliest" thing.

In terms of a specific "moment" I'd say this was the "silliest thing in the Moore era"

My advice for those considering enjoying life is to ignore your advice. A world without Rog's Bond films is a very bleak place indeed and not somewhere I would wish to live.

That's a great shout actually. Absolutely awful. You wonder why Zorin only hired henchmen in their 50s rather than young guys at the peak of fitness? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that a guy in his 20s would have battered an aged Bond and his decrepit companion?

You have to feel sorry for Dolph Lundgren too. He was probably gutted he didn't get the part of Warehouse Goon but took it philosophically and thought 'Well it's my first film and although I didn't get a fight scene at least I got a small part. As it's a Bond film I bet the guy they got was really built and a great fighter and actor. One day I'll get to his level.'

And then he saw the film and thought 'WTF? They cast Bill Maynard from TV's The Gaffer as a Bond henchman?'

It wasn't Bill Maynard,Wiz ....

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Ron Tarr " Big Ron" was in EastEnders for years. So all I thought on first seeing it
    Was " Bloody hell, there's Big Ron !"
    I did as well haha.
    It made the scene even harder to watch once I knew it was him.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    I think that fight scene could very well be the worst of its kind in the series. At least other dodgy Bond fights have some decent music or editing accompanying them.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've never minded the gorilla, the slide whistle, the tarzan yell or the Jaws arm flap. That's all part of the fun of the Sir Rog era and is to be expected.

What I can't stand is badly planned and executed action, which is why I'm so ticked off with what we got in 2015. So for me, the worst stuff during the Rog era is definitely in AVTAK. The aforementioned barn fight is absolutely awful, no doubt. I didn't mind the encounter at Stacy's house that much (someone, most likely not Rog, did a somersault near the stair banisters which looked pretty cool).

What I really thought was bloody awful was that entire City Hall and subsequent fire truck sequence, including Rog hanging from the detached ladder. Cringe worthy stuff all round and more appropriate for a tv show. He looked embarrassed to be doing it too.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Ron Tarr " Big Ron" was in EastEnders for years. So all I thought on first seeing it
    Was " Bloody hell, there's Big Ron !"

hah! Just what I thought at the time.

Because YOLT and TSWLM are terrible compared to that bastion of all things Bond Die Another Day. ;)
  • RC7RC7

The advice of a soulless maniac.
    Re-watched 5/7 of Roger's films in the last month. Yes aspects of them don't hold up very well but most are more than worthy entries.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    After some consideration, I have decided that the 60+ year old Roger Moore and Patrick Macnee pretending to indulge in fisticuffs with two other aged specimens in AVTAK is the silliest thing in the Roger Moore era.
    Hilarious scene; so poorly put together. The tall guy picks up Bond then puts him down for no reason, without doing any harm to him. Then he voluntarily lies down on the wooden plank.

Possibly the worst edited sequence in the entire series.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Possibly the worst edited sequence in the entire series.

There is a moment later when Bond and Stacey are fighting off a couple of comedy goons in her home. Bond is standing in fighting pose, looking like he's considering throwing a punch, and it's clearly a stunt man. He doesn't do anything other than ward off a punch, but even that required a stuntman.

Still love you Rog.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117
    barryt007 wrote: »

It wasn't Bill Maynard,Wiz ....

Now I know exactly how Rachel feels:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/26/glastonbury-barry-gibb-bee-gees-covers-twitter-joke

I'm really wasting my time on here throwing out comedy gems for you peasants to ignore.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Poor old Rog looks well creaky when he jumps a couple of feet into the stable elevator as its decending...he actually holds on to Patrick Macnee as he jumps! I think his knees would have given out otherwise!