The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Season Two turned out to be a strong season, with only a few lousy episodes.
  • This is over on the obituary thread but posting here as well. Fred Koenekamp, director of photography on 90 of the 105 Man From UNCLE episodes (and The Return of the Man From UNCLE) died May 31. He was a major contributor to the success of the series. He'd go to win an Oscar for The Towering Inferno and was nominated for Patton.

http://bit.ly/2smm3av
    Fred did very nice work!
  • Armie Hammer still not giving up on an UNCLE sequel.

http://bit.ly/2s4sDl0
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    He shouldn't, one of the most fun films in years!
    I watched it 3 times to try to like it and I just didn't get on with it unfortunately.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm fully in support of a sequel and quite hungry for it, I might add. So, the sooner they get on with it, the better.
    The new Man from U.N.C.L.E. movies should be set in the modern era, not the 60's.
    It would be pointless to set UNCLE in the modern era. UNCLE's charisma comes from being part of the flaming spy mania. An UNCLE in a 21st century setting would never work and likewise will lead to a bore composed by constant political interferences by NATO, UN and whatever, then they'll introduce ISIS (another boring subject if you're looking for a spy fest and not Black Hawk Down) and a whole long lasting lecture of how killing is wrong and other balderdash. So, no. UNCLE should remain in the sixties.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    The UN and NATO were around in the 60's, and neither interfered with the show (apart from the producers spelling out that UNCLE stood for the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement). The purpose of the UNCLE organization is to counter THRUSH, so there's no reason UNCLE can't be countering THRUSH in 2017.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423
    That's the point. NATO and UN played it differently in the sixties and it was pretty much a Carte Blanche for spy organizations in comparison to the strongly held leashes of their own that can't have them go in, eliminate the threat and get out. It's a whole lot of different game today than it was in the sixties, and frankly when making a spy film, you can't ignore the contemporary politics otherwise millions of individuals among critics and audiences will whine and call it "outdated formula". Look at how the SPECTRE of today is different than that of the one we've seen in the Connery films. Heck, even in uber-ridiculous fantasy fests like Kingsman has politics involved and it downgrades its potential.
    I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Piranha car when I get to episode 16 of season 3.

snapshot20121017170021.15.jpg

@timmer @AlexanderWaverly @ClarkDevlin Where do you rank this car alongside the Aston Martin DB5?

I do like its futuristic look, it has a certain UFO vibe to it which is very fitting for the era considering the spy craze of the period was sci-fi-influenced.
    wow that is retro...I haven't seen that episode yet !
  • Robertson wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Piranha car when I get to episode 16 of season 3.

snapshot20121017170021.15.jpg

@timmer @AlexanderWaverly @ClarkDevlin Where do you rank this car alongside the Aston Martin DB5?

It was woefully underutilized in the series. The Girl From UNCLE had an episode where the car was put through more of its paces.

In real life, the car was hard to manage. However, there is someone who occasionally frequents these message boards who knows *a lot* more about the car than I. We'll see if this questions attracts his interest.
    @barryt007 First I have to get past the gorilla and Santa Claus episodes. That's gonna be funny. Here's a better picture of the car:

manu.jpg
    Robertson wrote: »
    @barryt007 First I have to get past the gorilla and Santa Claus episodes. That's gonna be funny. Here's a better picture of the car:

manu.jpg

Nice one ,thanks.

How many episodes was it in,do you know ?
    @barryt007 Around five, I think. At least that's what I read somewhere.
    @barryt007 Around five, I think. At least that's what I read somewhere.

OK great,thanks ,
    I have about 8 more that I recorded before they suddenly stopped showing them so the odds are against it but fingers crossed !
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Fred did very nice work!
    I do like its futuristic look, it has a certain UFO vibe to it which is very fitting for the era considering the spy craze of the period was sci-fi-influenced.

Yes, same here. It was a nice touch for that episode.
    I think I prefer the 007 Aston though. It seemed more core to the character, but the Uncle car was a nice touch.
    The agents need all the cutting edge tech they can get when battling the forces of Thrush!

btw I quite enjoy the gorilla episode. The agents need be innovative in their approach. Solo dealt with the gorilla masterfully
    Supposedly the car had a lot of problems such as leaving a trail of oil all over the studio or wherever they were shooting and Vaughn and McCallum hated it because it was awkward to get in and out of. That's why I've heard it wasn't used that much.

I think the best use of it comes in The Five Daughters Affair part 1 teaser where Solo and Ilya are being pursued by THRUSH agents in Little Nellie-like autogyro copters.

Keep the reviews and thoughts on the episodes coming, guys. I enjoy hearing your thoughts on them as I'm a huge fan of the series as well.
  • BT3366 wrote: »
    Supposedly the car had a lot of problems such as leaving a trail of oil all over the studio or wherever they were shooting and Vaughn and McCallum hated it because it was awkward to get in and out of. That's why I've heard it wasn't used that much.

I think the best use of it comes in The Five Daughters Affair part 1 teaser where Solo and Ilya are being pursued by THRUSH agents in Little Nellie-like autogyro copters.

Keep the reviews and thoughts on the episodes coming, guys. I enjoy hearing your thoughts on them as I'm a huge fan of the series as well.

You can find reviews for all 105 Man episodes, all 29 Girl episodes and The Return of The Man From UNCLE here.

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/
    I think I'll read the Girl episodes reviews. I've never seen the Girl episodes, so reviews can sub for now.
    I burned through the complete series Man Dvd set a few years ago, and recently did a complete 10 film movieathon.

I have the briefcase dvd set, so sometimes I also put on a suit, tuck my communicator into the inside jacket pocket, grab the briefcase and head out the door on a mission ie a sweep for Thrush agents.

Yes the Uncle car was quite exciting, being chased by helicopters on the open road.
    That's about the only episode that readily comes to mind, involving the car.
    @timmer Is The Return of the Man from UNCLE any good?
    @Robertson, Return is purely what Season 2 what might look like if it were made in the 80s.
    @timmer Is The Return of the Man from UNCLE any good?

I liked it. @waverly has a mixed bag review, linked above, that I just read. Lots of fair comment there pro and con.
    Return has some funny bits. It does have a more Bond like vibe, than what we are used to.
    It's fun for genre fans with Lazenby playing Bond again, and Avengers John Steed himself, Patrick MacNee, playing the new Chief of Uncle, Sir John Raleigh.
    Anthony Zerbe as lead Thrush master criminal is of course a future Bond villain.
    The final big battle borrows from Bond with Solo leading an assault on a heavily fortified grand Thrush villain base, with outfitted henchmen and lots of explosions.
    Vaughn and MacCallum slide right into their old roles.
    That's the best part of the movie I think, seeing them back in character, even if they do spend much of the movie separated.
    @AlexanderWaverly I've been reading that site while I watch the episodes. Can't say I agree with his opinion on "The Abominable Snowman Affair". He was spot on when it came to "The My Friend, the Gorilla Affair" and "The Jingle Bells Affair". Hopefully the show makes a comeback with "The Take Me to Your Leader Affair" which introduces the Piranha car.
  • Robertson wrote: »
    @AlexanderWaverly I've been reading that site while I watch the episodes. Can't say I agree with his opinion on "The Abominable Snowman Affair". He was spot on when it came to "The My Friend, the Gorilla Affair" and "The Jingle Bells Affair". Hopefully the show makes a comeback with "The Take Me to Your Leader Affair" which introduces the Piranha car.

When you get to the fourth season, let us know what you think.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 2,115
    I forget if these have been posted, but I found another one I hadn't seen before (even though it was posted in 2014).

The television of Please Don't Eat the Daisies was produced at MGM (UNCLE's studio) and shown on NBC (UNCLE's network).

Illya Kuryakin cameo at the top of an episode.

Napoleon Solo's cameo at the end (note end titles).

These have been on YouTube for some time. But, the following season, there an April Dancer cameo. Again note the end titles.