The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I like Don Stroud. He was great on Mike Hammer back in the 80's.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Dalton also makes an incredibly goofy expression after getting punched directly in the face during that Barrelhead fight.

He certainly does.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Water-ski bit.

In the cinema the audience cheered loudly here. I remember it as if it were yesterday.
    Interesting considering, the Moore era had only been four years previously and the audience would laugh at his one liners and cheer at the stunt sequences.

I suppose maybe it has to do with the fact the stunts here are real (aside from a few shots of questionable back projection).
    Perhaps today's audiences aren't as vocal? I sat the QOS 5 times in the cinema and not one cheer each screening.

I love that scene...so typical Bond,kicks arse everywhere...and the score is very good from Kamen,hats off to Dalton in this scene,one of my favourites.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Water-ski bit.

In the cinema the audience cheered loudly here. I remember it as if it were yesterday.
    Interesting considering, the Moore era had only been four years previously and the audience would laugh at his one liners and cheer at the stunt sequences.

I suppose maybe it has to do with the fact the stunts here are real (aside from a few shots of questionable back projection).
    Perhaps today's audiences aren't as vocal? I sat the QOS 5 times in the cinema and not one cheer each screening.

I love that scene...so typical Bond,kicks arse everywhere...and the score is very good from Kamen,hats off to Dalton in this scene,one of my favourites.

Genuine tension as well when they have him trapped under water. One of my favorite scenes. Kamen did a great job with the score here. Considering that LTK was really intended to fall more in line with the gritty action thrillers of the day, Kamen taking job as composer completely suits this film. I certainly prefer his work over, say Newman's SF score.
    Bond sneaking around at night in black dinner suit while Sanchez has the obligatory Bond villain organizational meeting.
    Classic!! Again Kamen's score compliments the action beautifully.
    Water-ski bit.

Genuine tension as well when they have him trapped under water. One of my favorite scenes. Kamen did a great job with the score here. Considering that LTK was really intended to fall more in line with the gritty action thrillers of the day, Kamen taking job as composer completely suits this film. I certainly prefer his work over, say Newman's SF score.

Oh Kamen destroys Newman...Newman got away with it in SF but to do the same to SP killed that film..a great score would have made all the difference ,so to me it was either arrogance or over-confidence in being lazy and using it again (and both of those mean the same ).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Bill Conti destroys Newman

fill in blank "........."destroys Newman

Again well said me olde mate....totally agree...
    I really hate to say this, and maybe this is more appropriate for the controversial opinions thread, but LICENCE really does look too good on Blu-ray to the point I feel I should track down a copy of the SE DVD. I'll even go as far as to say the original widescreen laserdisc and early VHS captured the feel and look of this particular Bond more accurately.
    The sequence when Bond is rescued by Sanchez and Heller is prime example. In the cinema it was exceptionally grainy, dimly lit and murky. gave it a very haunting and disturbing feel. The Blu-ray almost looks bright and cheerful.

I might even say Eric Serra destroys Newman. For one I loved his gunbarrel music in GE.
    Has it gone up or down in your rankings @ToTheRight ?
    Has it gone up or down in your rankings @ToTheRight ?

LTK has always been reasonably high in my rankings. I've been a strong supporter of this Bond since it came out. I loved it in the cinema and the countless times I watched it on VHS when it came out. I even saved for and payed the ridiculously priced $89.99 to buy it on it's home video release date (January 4th 1990).
    I may do another ranking soon based on enjoyment/ re-watchability factor. I think LTK may go up there. The Blu-ray, though I hate to say, as beautiful as it is, just isn't doing the film justice if that makes sense.
    @ToTheRight

as you know I feel similar about VHS and LaserDisc.

The nostalgia factor is immense and I have such fond memories of the pan & scan version of TLD for instance. Oh the memories!!
    That's interesting,i have always been dubious about blue-ray...its high in my rankings (I think its #6).
    @ToTheRight

as you know I feel similar about VHS and LaserDisc.

The nostalgia factor is immense and I have such fond memories of the pan & scan version of TLD for instance. Oh the memories!!

Me, too. Sometimes I think during the restoration process of these films a bit too much effort is put in to make them look pristine. On LTK I'd say the job is done too well. Looks beautiful and amazing, but is now lacking that dirt and grit.
    The classic villain's lab sequence. What a great Bondian location here. I love headbutt Bond gives to Dario.
    "Looks like he came to a dead end!"
    The climactic chase sequence, which I completely LOVE!
    This is not only pure Bond, as well as contemporary for it's day in as far as the action films of the late 80's, but evokes that classic 1940's serial cliffhanger feel. It's got everything.
    Again another scene in which the audience roared. The tanker on it's sides and the missile hits the other truck brought down the house. In addition, on the big screen, that explosion was HUGE.
    The Bond Theme kicks in at the right time too. We haven't heard it for awhile, and Kamen had the instincts to place it appropriately. Yet not over do it.
    @barryt007 , I might actually place this as my #6 as well, now.
    Water-ski bit.

I only wish they had the sense to get a close-up of Dalton doing the stunt. You can see his face clearly in this production still:

tumblr_mv3z7n5PSC1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

Just another example of the film selling Bond short visually.
    Milovy wrote: »
    Water-ski bit.

I only wish they had the sense to get a close-up of Dalton doing the stunt. You can see his face clearly in this production still:

tumblr_mv3z7n5PSC1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

Just another example of the film selling Bond short visually.

He looks great there, too. Real bad ass.
    Well, another fun screening of LTK. This is easily one of my most watched Bond films of all time- along with OP and DR NO. Never fails to hit the spot when I'm in the mood for it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That water ski sequence is one of the all time greats in my opinion. It's such a kick a"" Bond moment, particularly when Bond lets go of the handles and slams onto the seaplane's floats. Kamen did indeed do excellent work here too.
    I have it still left in my Bondathon, only SP and LTK.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts @ToTheRight. Licence to Kill has always been one of my favourites.
    Milovy wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts @ToTheRight. Licence to Kill has always been one of my favourites.

I've always loved it. I may have to pop in another Bond tonight seeing I don't have to work tomorrow.
    I'm making this a Bond double feature. Now for my newly appointed number 1 film: DR NO.
    Gun barrel- iconic. Great titles here. Loving it.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Strangways hanging out then getting killed. This goes by pretty fast actually and the story is told efficiently and precisely. In other words, no beating about the bush. Whereas other films made during this time might have taken considerably screen-time to establish those killings and that plot point.
    And I love that 0.5 second black screen PTS of DN.
    I admit it is the second worst in the series. Only beaten by QOS :P

The weakest PTS by far. :)
    Sean's intro. For anyone doubting why someone like Jamie Bell should never play Bond (or most of the countless hipsters mentioned as potential Bonds the past couple years), just pop in DN and look at Sean's intro. I rest my case.
    At 31/32 he is clearly the man here. He's ageless, and looks like he knows exactly what he's doing and has NO self doubt. Most of the potential Bonds in that age group now look like they would't even know what Chemin de fer is. Yet Connery not only kicks everyone's as$ at the table, he steals the beauty across from him and most certainly gets laid that night before boarding the plane to Jamaica. That's James Bond.