Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 40,551
    I will forever stand by QoS being a criminally underrated movie with a lot of depth and artistry to it that's easily overlooked by quick criticisms of 'Quantum of Bourne', fast editing, and too much action.

Then again, I'm one of the very few on here who ranks it as my favorite of Craig's, albeit only slightly above CR, for me.
    Same here.

It sits very comfy at #4 on my ranking list.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Same here.

That's where it sits for me, as well! Only trumped by GE, DN, and OHMSS, respectively.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    I.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Same here.

That's where it sits for me, as well! Only trumped by GE, DN, and OHMSS, respectively.

My top 3 are :

1.OHMSS
    2.FRWL
    3.CR

:)

It sits comfortably at No 22 on my list.
    But in my "to go to" ranking it's in the Top 5 with such gems like DAF, DAD, TLD and DN.

Quite the disparity there, a Top 5 "go to" versus sitting in the bottom three of your list (not sure what the difference is - objective ranking versus subjective enjoyment, I'm guessing?)
    It sits comfortably at No 22 on my list.
    But in my "to go to" ranking it's in the Top 5 with such gems like DAF, DAD, TLD and DN.

Quite the disparity there, a Top 5 "go to" versus sitting in the bottom three of your list (not sure what the difference is - objective ranking versus subjective enjoyment, I'm guessing?)

Re-watchability and fun factor.

Understandable. I might have to do that some day, would put the likes of AVTAK in my Top 5-10, I'm sure (in a subjective rewatchability/fun factor ranking, I mean).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Same here.

My top 3 are :

1.OHMSS
    2.FRWL
    3.CR

:)

oooh! Controversial!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @thelivingroyale - I can't say that I have had a problem ranking the actors. It sounds simplistic, but it boils down to how much I like each actor.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    @MajorDSmythe I find it easy too.

1. Roger Moore: The Bond I grew up with, my favourite for sure.
    2. Sean Connery: He may not be my favourite, but he is the best.
    3. Pierce Brosnan: Could play the whole spectrum of different Bond styles.
    4. Timothy Dalton: Great actor, didn't get enough time to make it his own.
    5. Daniel Craig: Solid actor, could do with a bit of refreshment in the style of Bond films he has been in.
    6. George Lazenby: Someone has to be last! Lack of experience made him seem curiously vunerable imo, despite being in an all time classic he is number 6.
    I don't agree with small parts of that,re Craig and Dalton,but fair enough.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Let's be controversial then.

The most "boring" films in the series are:

1 Skyfall
    2 The World Is Not Enough
    3 The Man With The Golden Gun
    4 Thunderball
    5 A View To A Kill

Agreed with all except TMWTGG. That one is at least entertaining in a silly kind of way. And it's never dull with Roger Moore and Christopher Lee, hehe! :)
    Hehe, I see! ;)
    Mr Kleenex strikes again !
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    To each his own, but for me SKYFALL is the best Bond movie since FRWL, and I fail to fathom why anyone would consider it the most boring one. In fact, the only Bond movies that remotely trigger that term for me (and only in parts) are THUNDERBALL (among the classics, and only for the underwater scenes) and TWINE (among the failures).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    People are a bit harsh on Britt around these parts. I find her quite endearing.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Britt may not be stupid, but her character definitely is. Same with quite a few other Bond bimboes.
    SF is a fantastic Bond film,especially for its pro-patriotic British outlook.....but Goodnight is a total one-night shag object and no more.
    SF is a fantastic Bond film,especially for its pro-patriotic British outlook.....but Goodnight is a total one-night shag object and no more.

I don't know, I think I could stretch her to a weekend.

I don't know, I think I could stretch her to a weekend.

I was just thinking the same...
    Both Peter Sellers and Rod Stewart definitely had no problem with that "stretching" job.
    Goodnight is loyal & patient. Those are underappreciated qualities.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Both Peter Sellers and Rod Stewart definitely had no problem with that "stretching" job.

Urgh..I might pass on that then...if Rod Stewart was 'sailing' in her ...meh.
    Living up to his name.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Britt may not be stupid, but her character definitely is. Same with quite a few other Bond bimboes.

That may be, but she is good-hearted. Also she is probably one of my favourite characters of Fleming's literary work.
    I always imagine after the last scene that Mary will invite Bond to the villa in the Blue Mountains. And of course that Bond accepts ;) I'm a hopeless romantic.

Bloody hell you really are...Scaramanga should have shot her with his lazer !

bondjames wrote: »
    People are a bit harsh on Britt around these parts. I find her quite endearing.

Her role was poorly written, but she was not miscast and she would have pulled the ditz Bond girl very well if she had not been written in such a comedic way. It was all about the tone, way too light. Had she been merely bubbly she would have worked.