Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Torgeirtrap, those Newman noirs are definitely on my noir list, and it's my favorite genre.

I have yet to see The Long Goodbye, but really want to as it's a modern Marlowe, but I have seen Night Moves. It's been years since I last saw it, but I remember not being disappointed, and it was great to see Gene Hackman play another detective role post-French Connection. It's got that great 70s mood and style, and didn't hold back in content. If you like the genre, I'd definitely check it out as I never really heard it talked about.

Another film I think you'd really enjoy is The Detective from 1968 starring Frank Sinatra in the lead, which is one of my favorites in the genre. It's a surprisingly powerful film, and very ground-breaking for a time when some films weren't as willing to challenge the Hayes Codes' tenets by openly showing homosexuality, racism, police corruption and much more. Sinatra plays one of the most likable characters I've ever seen, and the story really had me taken aback, as it never does what you expect, but in an entirely different way than you'd expect from a noir. In many ways its content is just as relevant to today's headlines as it was in the late 60s, and that's part of what makes it so tragic.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2017 Posts: 17,695
    My non-spoilery Wonder Woman review- 4**** I would have rated this film lower if not for the crisp direction and Godot & Pine. I felt the story to be a bit on the thin side, but it makes up for that in other ways. Music is serviceable, action is good. But in terms of performances, it's absolutely on the top shelf. Yeah, the last bit was a typical CGI light show, but it was different to me this time because I genuinely cared about the characters. Patty, Gal & Chris really got heart into an otherwise by-the-numbers DC effort.
    The French Connection (1971)
    I don't like this film at all. I think it's one of the most overrated films i've ever seen.
    It may have been good in the 1970's but in 2017 it's badly outdated.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Clockwise (1986). John Cleese is a punctuality-obsessed headmaster who suffers a series of catastrophes as he attempts to reach Norwich in time to deliver a speech. One of the cleverest, funniest films I know. Also features The Lovely Geoffrey Palmer.

When I was in school, there was a teach that was so much like Stimpson.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Harper (1966)
    Just rewatched this Paul Newman 60's noir film again. Really liked it the first time, and it was due for another go. In short, Newman plays Lew Harper, who is hired by a Mrs. Sampson (played by Lauren Bacall) to find her (wealthy) kidnapped husband. Sounds like your typical noir-plot, and in some way it is. But it's not a bad story, and a Technicolor-noir set in the 60's in a California coast setting, is great to watch.

Have yet to see the sequel, The Drowning Pool. Will have to see that soon. On that note, has anyone seen The Long Goodbye (1973) or Night Moves (1975)? Interested in checking out those titles as well, and would like opinions on them!

Two great Seventies movies, both are worth a watch. Probably prefer Night Moves, but it is such a long time since I saw The Long Goodbye.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
    QPxBCIrl.jpg
    I was listening to Michael Giacchino's score for this movie and it compelled me to watch it. I never found it to be bad like the fandom did. It does suffer from the flaws QOS suffers from. It's pace is a bit too fast. The film has it's share of moments that could have made the film better if they were removed. Like Kirk angrily punching Benedict Cumberbatch until he had to be told to stop. Or the gratuitous underwear shot of Alice Eve.

Aside from those little quibbles I think it does have a lot of good things about it. It's one of the most visually striking Star Trek films in the franchise. The special effects are pretty good and the acting is good. Though characterization is still a bit iffy. I'm not a fan of frat boy bro-dude Kirk at the beginning of the film. Thankfully that goes away once the meat of the story begins. Spock being sassy with Admiral Pike was also a misstep in character.

The villains of the film are pretty good too. Peter Weller does a good job being the manipulative and corrupt, war mongering Admiral Marcus. He can be fatherly and caring one minute then be slimy and sinister the next. Great performance. It was a shame the character was killed off. I would have liked to have seen him get served real justice.

I think Benedict Cumberbatch does a great job playing Khan. He really brings the sophistication and menace of the character. He also does a good job bringing the physicality of the genetically engineered superman to life as we never really got to see Khan fight.

Fans dismiss this movie as a remake/rehash of Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan, but it isn't. It features many elements from many original series episodes. It has a few direct references to Wrath of Khan towards the end but I think those are handled pretty well. I like the political aspect to it. Admiral Marcus has an agenda. He thinks war with the Klingons is the only way so blowing them to hell now is the way to go. Khan wants to do what he set out to do in the 90's. Take control of Earth with his genetically followers.

Kirk is still arrogant and cocky but quickly learns what it truly means to be in command. Spock learns the meaning of friendship and emotions. I think it's a good character arc. I wish that was shown better in Star Trek Beyond because they still don't feel like close friends in that film where they do at the end of Into Darkness. All in all, It's not a bad film. It has some flaws but what film doesn't have flaws? It's not the best Star Trek movie, but it's certainly not the worst.

I agree totally,in fact I prefer it to the first one and I think it equals the 3rd.
    All very enjoyable films to me.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Clockwise (1986). John Cleese is a punctuality-obsessed headmaster who suffers a series of catastrophes as he attempts to reach Norwich in time to deliver a speech. One of the cleverest, funniest films I know. Also features The Lovely Geoffrey Palmer.

When I was in school, there was a teach that was so much like Stimpson.

I actually got to see this film in school.
    @Torgeirtrap, those Newman noirs are definitely on my noir list, and it's my favorite genre.

I have yet to see The Long Goodbye, but really want to as it's a modern Marlowe, but I have seen Night Moves. It's been years since I last saw it, but I remember not being disappointed, and it was great to see Gene Hackman play another detective role post-French Connection. It's got that great 70s mood and style, and didn't hold back in content. If you like the genre, I'd definitely check it out as I never really heard it talked about.

Another film I think you'd really enjoy is The Detective from 1968 starring Frank Sinatra in the lead, which is one of my favorites in the genre. It's a surprisingly powerful film, and very ground-breaking for a time when some films weren't as willing to challenge the Hayes Codes' tenets by openly showing homosexuality, racism, police corruption and much more. Sinatra plays one of the most likable characters I've ever seen, and the story really had me taken aback, as it never does what you expect, but in an entirely different way than you'd expect from a noir. In many ways its content is just as relevant to today's headlines as it was in the late 60s, and that's part of what makes it so tragic.
    Harper (1966)
    Just rewatched this Paul Newman 60's noir film again. Really liked it the first time, and it was due for another go. In short, Newman plays Lew Harper, who is hired by a Mrs. Sampson (played by Lauren Bacall) to find her (wealthy) kidnapped husband. Sounds like your typical noir-plot, and in some way it is. But it's not a bad story, and a Technicolor-noir set in the 60's in a California coast setting, is great to watch.

Have yet to see the sequel, The Drowning Pool. Will have to see that soon. On that note, has anyone seen The Long Goodbye (1973) or Night Moves (1975)? Interested in checking out those titles as well, and would like opinions on them!

Two great Seventies movies, both are worth a watch. Probably prefer Night Moves, but it is such a long time since I saw The Long Goodbye.

Thanks for the opinions guys! Will have to get them both. Interesting that you mentioned The Detective, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, as that one's on my watch-list, as well. Surprising to hear it's powerful and ground-breaking, as it looked more like your typical noir-film in a trailer I saw a while back. Didn't Sinatra play a similar role in another film too?

Harper (1966)

Thanks for the opinions guys! Will have to get them both. Interesting that you mentioned The Detective, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, as that one's on my watch-list, as well. Surprising to hear it's powerful and ground-breaking, as it looked more like your typical noir-film in a trailer I saw a while back. Didn't Sinatra play a similar role in another film too?

Yep,Tony Rome,only a few years before 'the detective',and I think he did a sequel as well.

barryt007 wrote: »

Harper (1966)

Yep,Tony Rome,only a few years before 'the detective',and I think he did a sequel as well.

That's it! Couldn't remember the name of the character. Seen it?

Harper (1966)

A long time ago ,I remember I enjoyed it but Sinatra was always good in Police roles.I haven't seen the sequel though.

Harper (1966)

A long time ago ,I remember I enjoyed it but Sinatra was always good in Police roles.I haven't seen the sequel though.

I'll ad Tony Rome to my list as well! Been buying films mostly through iTunes these past few years, but it looks like there is a shortage of Sinatra titles available - at least the three films mentioned on this thread. Looks like Amazon has a box set with Tony Rome, Lady in Cement and The Detective, tough.

Harper (1966)

I'll ad Tony Rome to my list as well! Been buying films mostly through iTunes these past few years, but it looks like there is a shortage of Sinatra titles available - at least the three films mentioned on this thread. Looks like Amazon has a box set with Tony Rome, Lady in Cement and The Detective, tough.

Aaah Lady in Cement..thats the sequel to Tony Rome .

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Harper (1966)

He was first choice for Harry Callaghan in a little film called 'Dirty Harry'.

Harper (1966)

He was indeed,along with John Wayne.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Torgeirtrap, yes, Sinatra had flirted with similar detective roles before. I think what makes The Detective stand out, however, is in its ability to-for the time-really go forth and tell its story uncensored. There's things in the film that you just didn't put in movies in the late 60s, and yet it was done. For the time, it was very brave and is unfortunately forgotten as one of the films that gave the middle finger to the Hayes Code, giving way to a more free and uncompromising 70s era of bold filmmaking.

You'll understand what I mean when you see it, but the film has elements that are not only still relevant to our problems today, but the film focuses on aspects of characters that are surprising, and not what you'd think you'd see. It's a different feeling noir, that goes places I don't think many would expect. Please let me know your thoughts, whenever you get to it.

Harper (1966)

John Wayne played a Dirty Harry-like character a few years later too, didn't he? McQ or was it another film?

Strange to think about someone else than Eastwood as Dirty Harry. Glad it turned out that way.
    Eyes Wide Shut (1999). After rewatches, still haunting, disturbing, and fascinating.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,904
    If anyone liked The Detective, then i'd recommend The First Deadly Sin. Sinatra plays an older Joe Leland in all but name. I wouldn't be surprised to learn if that was the original idea, a sequel made 12 years later.
    @Torgeirtrap, yes, Sinatra had flirted with similar detective roles before. I think what makes The Detective stand out, however, is in its ability to-for the time-really go forth and tell its story uncensored. There's things in the film that you just didn't put in movies in the late 60s, and yet it was done. For the time, it was very brave and is unfortunately forgotten as one of the films that gave the middle finger to the Hayes Code, giving way to a more free and uncompromising 70s era of bold filmmaking.

You'll understand what I mean when you see it, but the film has elements that are not only still relevant to our problems today, but the film focuses on aspects of characters that are surprising, and not what you'd think you'd see. It's a different feeling noir, that goes places I don't think many would expect. Please let me know your thoughts, whenever you get to it.

I will! Might put the "Sinatra-noirs" on top of my list, based on the comments here :-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'A Cure For Wellness'

Incredible cinematography/score/acting, but damn, if this wasn't beyond predictable from start to finish. For a two and a half hour movie, I expected a lot better buildup/plot elements than what this film worked with. Having said that, it was good, definitely not horrendous like the critics made it out to be.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Eyes Wide Shut (1999). After rewatches, still haunting, disturbing, and fascinating.

Great film !!

Great film !!

It really is. One of the toughest films to wrap your brain around too. I'm glad over the last few years it's finally getting more positive attention among Kubrick's works.

Great film !!

It really is. One of the toughest films to wrap your brain around too. I'm glad over the last few years it's finally getting more positive attention among Kubrick's works.

Its just a compelling watch,seeing the marriage disintegrate and the cult becoming more and more addictive ...a great psychological study.

Harper (1966)

John Wayne played a Dirty Harry-like character a few years later too, didn't he? McQ or was it another film?

Strange to think about someone else than Eastwood as Dirty Harry. Glad it turned out that way.

When Dirty Harry was in pre production, Irvin Kershner, of NSNA fame, was attached to direct. When Eastwood was cast he brought in the great Don Siegel to helm and a classic was born (not to mention the also great John Milius who script doctored and gave us the legendary Do you feel lucky? speech)
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Harper (1966)

When Dirty Harry was in pre production, Irvin Kershner, of NSNA fame, was attached to direct. When Eastwood was cast he brought in the great Don Siegel to helm and a classic was born (not to mention the also great John Milius who script doctored and gave us the legendary Do you feel lucky? speech)

Interesting! Many films have those interesting development-stories. So many great films could have turned out quite differently had they been made with the intended names behind or in front of the camera.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'A Cure For Wellness'

Incredible cinematography/score/acting, but damn, if this wasn't beyond predictable from start to finish. For a two and a half hour movie, I expected a lot better buildup/plot elements than what this film worked with. Having said that, it was good, definitely not horrendous like the critics made it out to be.

That film is massively underrated. The direction is incredible. It's very creepy
    I had zero interest in seeing that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Great film !!

Its just a compelling watch,seeing the marriage disintegrate and the cult becoming more and more addictive ...a great psychological study.
    I agree. Tremendous film. Very atmospheric & intense. I loved it on first watch and must try to see it again soon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had zero interest in seeing that.

It's worth it for the cinematography/sets/soundtrack alone. Acting is solid, too, and there's a particular scene that nearly rivals the "Is it safe?" intensity from 'Marathon Man.' Just don't expect any never-before-seen twists and turns.