Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FMJ is a brave and magnificent film. But, the contrast between part 1 and part 2 is almost whiplash inducing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Can you believe that Ermey improvised his dialogue? He had been a drill sergeant in real life.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FMJ is a brave and magnificent film. But, the contrast between part 1 and part 2 is almost whiplash inducing.

Yes, like two different films at times. I still respect Kubrick for doing what Coppola had eight years prior by showing the horrors of war instead of glorifying it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, Indeed, war ain't all fun and heroics. So much was made clear in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Full Metal Jacket (1987) is definitely worth watching if you want to see a quality war/anti-war film. Excellent first half, decent second half. I think while it's still a great film, it's one of Kubrick's weaker works. Of course that's subjective, and he did a lot of incredible work.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Wonder Woman (2017) - for me, being a big fan of all things DC, this movie is superb. Gadot is spot on as WW/Diana, Pine is good as Steve Trevor and it's directed very well by Patty Jenkins.
    Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. My grade: F.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Due to having kids.

Moana
    Sing
    Madagascar 2
    Adventure of Elmo in Grouchland
    Is Sing any good, @Last_Rat_Standing?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited June 2017 Posts: 2,730
    So I just watched pirates 5. I'm a fairly big fan of the pirates movies I have all of them on blu ray and this one is fine. I thought on stranger tides was bad. I think 1 and 2 are good and 3 is okay and this new one is just fine, it's a step up from the last one but nothing compared to the first two films. It's got good action and it's entertaining through out. Some of the jokes land and some don't. Watch it if you like these movies and don't watch it if you don't like these movies
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Is Sing any good, @Last_Rat_Standing?

It's cute. I mean watching a bunch of singing animals and a koala voiced by Matthew McConoghy. (Sp)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Lay The Favorite (2012)
    RBQkQxm.jpg

I'm on a bit of a Rebecca Hall kick these days. One of the most versatile & prolific actresses I've come across in recent times, she always finds a way to impress me. So I sought out this little known 'B' comedy drama film she made a few years back. It's based on the true story of ditzy but exuberant Beth Raymers, a young stripper who gives up her career (ahem) to travel to Vegas and become a cocktail waitress (with her father's blessing). She hooks up with Holly (That 70's Show's Laura Prepon) through happenstance, who in turn introduces her to Dink (Bruce Willis, in a decent performance - saying something for him these days), a professional gambler. He sees something in her and offers her a job, as she has a noticeable head for numbers. She ends up bringing him lots of luck and herself gets addicted to the high risk/high reward life. Sadly, Dink's jealous wife Tulip (Catherine Zeta Jones in fine form) doesn't approve of Beth, thinking correctly that she is a threat to their marriage. She gives Dink an ultimatum (her or me) and he ends up ruefully sacking Beth. Ever the adventurer, she hooks up with a new admirer Jeremy (Joshua Jackson) and travels to New York. Having had a taste for the gambling life, she starts working for a crooked greasy bookie Rosie (Vince Vaughn), who's nothing like her old mentor. Her luck eventually runs out as she runs afoul of the Feds, and Dink has to come to the rescue of his one time protege.

This film didn't get a wide release and was blasted by the critics. It has a bit of a Elmore Leonard flavour to it, but without the wit and snappiness of his work. Hall is a revelation in this film though. She completely ditches the Indie persona which she normally has and totally transforms into the flighty and effervescent all American character of Beth. I sometimes forgot it was her - that's how different she plays it from her normal style. She looks stunning too, with a near perfect perma-tan & the kind of comely bubble headedness one expects in excess at Spring Break. Willis is engaged and doesn't appear bored (quite an achievement) and Zeta Jones is great as his prudish wife. Vaughn is exaggerated but fun as Rosie, and Jackson is serviceable.

I wouldn't say I recommend this film, because there's really not much going on, but it's fun to see great actors having a blast in something they didn't need to do.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Is full metal jacket worth watching?

One of the more chilling movies I've seen, particularly the final 20 minutes (I'm sure being under the influence at the time severely heightened the surreal intensity, but still).

Give it a watch ASAP.
    The second-half of Full Metal Jacket is fantastic. Matthew Modine is the film's only problem; it's too bad Bruce Willis was unable to make the film.
    Robertson wrote: »
    The second-half of Full Metal Jacket is fantastic. Matthew Modine is the film's only problem; it's too bad Bruce Willis was unable to make the film.

Not a fan of the first half? Oddly enough, most people seem to rate the first much, much more favorably than the latter half, but I love both almost equally for entirely different reasons. I think Modine fits in quite well, I don't have an issue with him in the movie.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Not a fan of the first half? Oddly enough, most people seem to rate the first much, much more favorably than the latter half, but I love both almost equally for entirely different reasons. I think Modine fits in quite well, I don't have an issue with him in the movie.

Oh no, I love the first half, I'm just saying the second half is great too.

Creasy47 wrote: »

Oh no, I love the first half, I'm just saying the second half is great too.

That's good, or else I would've had to inquire about your MAJOR MALFUNCTION, Private Pyle.
    Being prior military I can highly relate to the first half.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Rush Hour 2 (2001)
    XTTFnMk.jpg

I recently picked up the newly released blu ray of the 2nd film in this hugely popular series. The film was just as much fun as I remembered it. Tucker and Chan had me in stitches for most of the run time.

The blu ray quality is excellent and the viewing experience is the better for it. All the colours pop nicely and the legendary Lalo Schifrin's score is much more noticeable in this format.

This installment has a high budget feel to it. I was reminded of Hamilton's Bond efforts (mixed with a little bit of Indiana Jones) due to its blend of action, adventure, quirkiness and light hearted humour. The location work is also superb, especially in Hong Kong, and gives the film an authentic flavour.

I've always felt that this was a 'film ahead', given its relatively early use of Chinese actors with a mainly Western action premise. Zhang Ziyi & Roselyn Sanchez provide suitably fetching eye candy and the rest of the supporting cast (including John Lone) are excellent.

Chan and Tucker are a great comedy double act and I love their combo shtick. Super fun! I look forward to a 4th installment, which they are trying to get off the ground.
    Rush Hour 2 is fantastic. It's still hilarious to this day. I remember seeing it in theaters and laughing the whole time. Better than the first IMO
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wonder Woman. It's a really good movie where you can tell everyone involved gave AF about what they were doing. I was concerned about Gadot's acting carrying this movie but she does a great job as Diana; as does Chris Pine as Steve Trevor. I wish we spent more time in Themyscira as it looked freakin gorgeous and seeing the Amazonian women training and fighting off zi Germans provided great visuals and action.
    This film had a lot of heart, hope and captured everything missing from Superman. Could have done without some of the slomo effects but other than that it's a fun and inspirational movie.

8/10
  • Excellent, @doubleoego. Sounds like it's everything I'm hoping it'll be.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Life

Better than I thought it was going to be I must say. As Aliens loose on spacecraft movies go this is above average.

Some really good and nailbiting sequences, that also look great thanks to some stunning special effects.

Pretty forgettable characters and scientists who act dumb to further the plot hinder the film, but the Alien is cool and the film moves very quickly to it's rather clever ending.
    CLERKS

clerks-brian-oholloran-jeff-anderson.jpg?itok=fqK--z4k

Being the Kevin Smith fan that I am, I love watching his movies. I can laugh with them and often at them too. But that's okay; they give me a good time.

Recently, Lisa Spoonauer, part of the CLERKS cast, passed away at the age of 44 after a ten years struggle with a rare disease. It made this viewing extra special.

Not a bad film to start a career. Some jokes don't work but overall, it's its own thing and I have a lot of nostalgic sentiment for CLERKS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw Clerks in the cinema when it came out. very funny movie.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    CLERKS

Being the Kevin Smith fan that I am, I love watching his movies. I can laugh with them and often at them too. But that's okay; they give me a good time.

Recently, Lisa Spoonauer, part of the CLERKS cast, passed away at the age of 44 after a ten years struggle with a rare disease. It made this viewing extra special.

Not a bad film to start a career. Some jokes don't work but overall, it's its own thing and I have a lot of nostalgic sentiment for CLERKS.

I love Kevin Smith movies. CLERKS is great but I prefer the sequel over the first. I think it's just because CLERKS 2 has an over all story arch which makes the film go by a bit faster. The first is just a day in the life and it feels like it drags on at times.
    I prefer Clerks 2 over the original too. Maybe because I'm immature and toilet and sex jokes are just too funny for me
    Pride and Glory. Grade: C. Would have been better if the focus were on the Colin Farrell character.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Too Many Crooks (1958)

YooniqImages_102388754.jpg

A charming vintage comedy starring Terry-Thomas, Sid James, George Cole, Brenda de Banzie and Bernard Breslaw.

A group of crooks led by the hapless "Fingers" (Cole), set their sights on wealthy businessman, Billy Gordon (T-T), intending to kidnap Gordon's daughter for ransom. The gang bungle the kidnap, and end up kidnapping Gordon's long suffering wife, Lucy (de Banzie). With the initial ransom demand of £20,000 falling on deaf ears, as do the following demands of £10,000, £5000 and finally £200. Lucy, realising how little Billy thinks of her, cuts a deal with her erstwhile kidnappers, to help take Billy for every penny he has.

CLERKS

I have most of his movies Mallrats and Dogma are probably my favouraite, I am sure I read somewhere a follow-up to Jay and Silent Bob strikes back Is a possibility? Not sure what is happening with CLERKS 3