Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Fist of Fury I am gobsmacked at the Bluray restoration the film looks incredible, I feel like I am watching a Sergio Leone picture seeing detail I never knew was there highly recommend.

Fist of Fury has to be the best spaghetti western of the 70s. Love it.
  • RonBond007RonBond007 Norfolk, Virginia
    The Great Gatsby - (1974) version. I'll watch the newer 2013 one this week. Been on a nostalgia kick lately and wondering if those good ole days really were a better time than the present.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The Fourth Protocol (1987)
    aGXWVfO.jpg

I was in the mood for a decent spy thriller. This Michael Caine/Pierce Brosnan espionage film from the mid 80's, based on a Frederick Forsyth novel, hit the spot. Caine plays John Preston, an impertinent but smart & diligent MI5 officer. His unconventional methods run afoul of his MI5 superior, acting Director, Brian Harcourt-Smith (Julian Glover), which leads to him being demoted to 'Airports and Ports' duty. While there, he discovers a Soviet plot to detonate a nuclear device on UK soil thereby violating the 'Fourth Protocol'. The plan, hatched by a renegade Soviet KGB officer, relies on the capabilities of star Soviet officer Valeri Petrofsky (Brosnan). Petrofsky's mission is to enter the UK posing as UK national James Ross, & assemble and explode the device near RAF Baywaters, thereby placing blame on the Americans. He is aided by bomb expert Irina Vassilievna (Joanna Cassidy). The rest of the film focuses on Preston's attempts to stop Petrofsky's diabolical plan.

There is an excellent supporting cast here, including the brilliant Ian Richardson, Ned Beatty, Michael Gough, Ray McAnally, Anton Rodgers & Matthew Marsh. The film also boasts a tense score by legendary Lalo Schifrin & cinematography by GE/CR alum Phil Méheux.

I've always enjoyed this film. It features excellent performances across the board. Caine is pitch perfect, as normal. The real revelation though is Pierce Brosnan as Russian spy Petrofsky. He delivers a chilling, intense portrayal which is comparable to Edward Fox's work in Forsyth's The Day Of The Jackal.

I've always believed that Brosnan lost out by not being cast as 007 in 1987. He was in his prime then, and in my view would have made a far more interesting and credible Bond (under experienced Cubby) than he did in the 90's (under novice Babs). There is an edgy ruthlessness to his early performances, which he demonstrates here as well as in The Noble House miniseries which would come in the following year. Moreover, there is not a hint of the tragic pain face & dramatic overacting which would become an unfortunate hallmark of his acting repertoire as he aged. I realize Dalton has his fans, but I firmly believe Brosnan as Bond in 1987 would have been something special. This film proves it. Damn shame it didn't happen.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Hard Target. Interesting premise; graceful action with a fair share of originality. Best part: Van Damme pushing back the side of his trenchcoat to reveal... his leg, which he then uses to kick some bad guys.
    Love that film. John Woo classic. "What kind of name is Chance?". You know the rest.

Hard Target is my favourite JCVD film. The hero, the damsel, the villain, the henchman, it's an all round great action thriller. Now that was a mullet.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    No Country For Old Men.

Yes this was the first time I had ever gotten around to seeing it. Fantastic film but I felt it ended abruptly.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    maxresdefault.jpg

Not a bad animated movie. If you loved the 1960's TV show then you'll probably enjoy this one. Adam West, Bert Ward, and Julie Newmar return to voice Batman, Robin, and Catwoman.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No Country For Old Men.

Yes this was the first time I had ever gotten around to seeing it. Fantastic film but I felt it ended abruptly.

Bardem in that film is far more compelling than his role in SF. Imagine that guy as a henchman in a Bond film instead.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    He was creepy
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    The Fugitive

A bit of an old favourite this one. Some of the writing is a rather contrived (the cliché of the police seemingly swooping in on Kimble, but who are actually after someone else, happens TWICE in quick succession) but its highly entertaining. Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones are excellent (TLJ especially).

One gripe:
    It's pretty obvious Jerone Krabbe is involved in Helen Kimble's murder. I wonder if many people in 1993 remembered him as the shifty Koskov 6 years earlier - all you need to do is ask yourself why he's there.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The Fugitive

A bit of an old favourite this one. Some of the writing is a rather contrived (the cliché of the police seemingly swooping in on Kimble, but who are actually after someone else, happens TWICE in quick succession) but its highly entertaining. Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones are excellent (TLJ especially).

One gripe:
    It's pretty obvious Jerone Krabbe is involved in Helen Kimble's murder. I wonder if many people in 1993 remembered him as the shifty Koskov 6 years earlier - all you need to do is ask yourself why he's there.

One of my all-time favorite films. Nonstop entertainment.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Fugitive is indeed a very good film.
  • No Country For Old Men.

Now that you're used to the ending you'll just love everything about the movie.

I liked the ending. It wasn t very typical.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,560
    THE DEVIL RIDES OUT

4545842_orig.png

Certainly one of Hammer's best films, at least in my humble opinion, starring a powerful Christopher Lee and a frighteningly effective (or effectively frightening if you like) Charles Gray. Interesting Satanic story told with the eeriness and drama that constitute a great Hammer horror film. Lacks the one essential ingredient to make the recipe complete though: Peter Cushing. But then we can't expect him to appear in literally every single Hammer film, now can we? ;-)
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Games of Death on BD pagado sequence shot with Bruce Lee sequences isolated, alas it's it not been remastered though who cares it's awesome. I train with bokken and nunchaku, it's a joy to watch the nunchaku sequence I love watching Bruce's films or just reading his philosophy totally inspirational. Brilliant concept for the film testing his philosophy against different disciplines, kareem abdul jabbar sensitivity of light is a great metaphor no matter how formidable a apponent may seem there is weakness to exploit.

Way of the Dragon The best I have ever seen regarding transfer of this film, wipes tear from eye

16722489_189684238182653_1351893591692609193_o.jpg?oh=f188051df8c1140765b8b76184622e70&oe=59382268
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Way of the Dragon The best I have ever seen regarding transfer of this film, wipes tear from eye

16722489_189684238182653_1351893591692609193_o.jpg?oh=f188051df8c1140765b8b76184622e70&oe=59382268

Still THE greatest fight scene in a movie. You would think by now something would've topped it, but nope. The fight is simple but amazing.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Fourth Protocol (1987)
    aGXWVfO.jpg

I was in the mood for a decent spy thriller. This Michael Caine/Pierce Brosnan espionage film from the mid 80's, based on a Frederick Forsyth novel, hit the spot. Caine plays John Preston, an impertinent but smart & diligent MI5 officer. His unconventional methods run afoul of his MI5 superior, acting Director, Brian Harcourt-Smith (Julian Glover), which leads to him being demoted to 'Airports and Ports' duty. While there, he discovers a Soviet plot to detonate a nuclear device on UK soil thereby violating the 'Fourth Protocol'. The plan, hatched by a renegade Soviet KGB officer, relies on the capabilities of star Soviet officer Valeri Petrofsky (Brosnan). Petrofsky's mission is to enter the UK posing as UK national James Ross, & assemble and explode the device near RAF Baywaters, thereby placing blame on the Americans. He is aided by bomb expert Irina Vassilievna (Joanna Cassidy). The rest of the film focuses on Preston's attempts to stop Petrofsky's diabolical plan.

There is an excellent supporting cast here, including the brilliant Ian Richardson, Ned Beatty, Michael Gough, Ray McAnally, Anton Rodgers & Matthew Marsh. The film also boasts a tense score by legendary Lalo Schifrin & cinematography by GE/CR alum Phil Méheux.

I've always enjoyed this film. It features excellent performances across the board. Caine is pitch perfect, as normal. The real revelation though is Pierce Brosnan as Russian spy Petrofsky. He delivers a chilling, intense portrayal which is comparable to Edward Fox's work in Forsyth's The Day Of The Jackal.

I've always believed that Brosnan lost out by not being cast as 007 in 1987. He was in his prime then, and in my view would have made a far more interesting and credible Bond (under experienced Cubby) than he did in the 90's (under novice Babs). There is an edgy ruthlessness to his early performances, which he demonstrates here as well as in The Noble House miniseries which would come in the following year. Moreover, there is not a hint of the tragic pain face & dramatic overacting which would become an unfortunate hallmark of his acting repertoire as he aged. I realize Dalton has his fans, but I firmly believe Brosnan as Bond in 1987 would have been something special. This film proves it. Damn shame it didn't happen.

Great film, but the book is way better. Recommended read for sure.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    THE DEVIL RIDES OUT

4545842_orig.png

Certainly one of Hammer's best films, at least in my humble opinion, starring a powerful Christopher Lee and a frighteningly effective (or effectively frightening if you like) Charles Gray. Interesting Satanic story told with the eeriness and drama that constitute a great Hammer horror film. Lacks the one essential ingredient to make the recipe complete though: Peter Cushing. But then we can't expect him to appear in literally every single Hammer film, now can we? ;-)

Probably my favourite HH. Remember watching it on tv (back in the early 70s) with me mum when I was young, and it scared the crap out of me. Still love it to this day.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A Cure For Wellness (2017)

Surprisingly a pretty good film, considering the awful reviews it's been getting this past week. As seen in the trailer, the cinematography is top notch, but special mention to Dane Dehaan (never really cared for him before) who gives a powerhouse perfomance and carries the entire film on his shoulders. Jason Isaacs is very chilling and charismatic as the Herr Doktor (please read that in Roger Moore's voice) in charge of this strange medical/cure facility in the middle of the mountains in Switzerland. The film is more of a psychological thriller than full blown horror, but there are several pretty scary/ominous moments. For a 2.5 hours film, it goes by quite fast, despite a lot of talkative scenes mixed with silent moments (when the main character is trying to figure out what is going on).
  • Way of the Dragon The best I have ever seen regarding transfer of this film, wipes tear from eye

Still THE greatest fight scene in a movie. You would think by now something would've topped it, but nope. The fight is simple but amazing.

Agreed Bruce and Chuck at the top of there game, the slow motion shots of Chuck round house kicking as Bruce ducks and weaves is art it's awesome.

• edited February 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Still the best Zack Snyder film and a good example how re-makes (re-imagined) films should be made. Not a cookie cutter copy of the original. No watered down pg-13 retelling of the original story or bad cgi effects.

And hey, it's still better than the dragged out tv-show that is the walking dead, which I only watch for this season and then call it quits.
    Just watched Cape Fear (1962) for the first time. Having watched the 1991 remake three times, I really wanted to check out the original version. I wasn't disappointed! Great acting, great story, just great all around! I enjoy both versions a lot, and I must say, I thought the remake made some really good additions. Can't go wrong with either.
  • Just watched Hitchcocks The Birds. I've seen a few times before, but I have to say it's one of my favorite horror movies
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Just watched Hitchcocks The Birds. I've seen a few times before, but I have to say it's one of my favorite horror movies
    Mine as well.
    It's definitely a good one! It'd be somewhere in my Top 20 horror films.
    @Birdleson thank you. Another film question for you - what are your favorite movie musicals?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    THE WIZARD OF OZ, TOP HAT, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, 42ND STREET...too many more. I can't even begin a real list of favorites.

Nice. Some of mine:

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    Singin' in the Rain (1952)
    Guys and Dolls (1955)
    My Fair Lady (1964)
    Scrooge (1970)
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
    La La Land (2016)
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 3,336
    Birdleson wrote: »
    THE WIZARD OF OZ, TOP HAT, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, 42ND STREET...too many more. I can't even begin a real list of favorites.

I'm not really a musical guy, but 42nd Street was very impressive, especailly considering it came out in 1933.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Still the best Zack Snyder film and a good example how re-makes (re-imagined) films should be made. Not a cookie cutter copy of the original. No watered down pg-13 retelling of the original story or bad cgi effects.

And hey, it's still better than the dragged out tv-show that is the walking dead, which I only watch for this season and then call it quits.

I'm in agreement (Snyder's best film). It's one of my favorite zombie films, as well; makeup and practical effects were top notch, the lack of CGI is more than welcome in this.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Just watched Cape Fear (1962) for the first time. Having watched the 1991 remake three times, I really wanted to check out the original version. I wasn't disappointed! Great acting, great story, just great all around! I enjoy both versions a lot, and I must say, I thought the remake made some really good additions. Can't go wrong with either.

I have only seen the remake, but somehow I know the original was much better.