Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK

JL-Dark-2.jpg

And dark it is! I guess the R rating is more than justified. Pretty intense new animated DC project which opens rather violently. Great cast of characters, including Constantine and Swamp Thing. DC starts strong in 2017!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Farewell, My Lovely (1975) & The Big Sleep (1978)
    The two films to star Robert Mitchum as Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe. While the former has the pull of staring Mithum and Charlotte Rampling, it's the latter that I prefer and watch more often (and is also my favourite Mitchum film).

Morgan (2016)
    I've had this film on my watchlist since I saw the trailer/poster. After being impressed by Anya Taylor-Joy (another solid performance in Morgan) in The VVitch, I picked up a copy of this film. And whomever did the fight choreography, bravo. I could actually see what was going on.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The two films to star Robert Mitchum as Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe. While the former has the pull of staring Mithum and Charlotte Rampling, it's the latter that I prefer and watch more often (and is also my favourite Mitchum film).

I recently watched ethos win tandem, as well (as part of a complete Marlowe retrospective that I and a friend were doing). I liked them both, but preferred the former. Interesting that they both contain the same actor playing Marlowe, yet are set in different time periods, or Universes too, if you will.

Indeed, I don't really think of those two as being of the same series. They have the same actor playing the same character, but they exist in different times (roughly 30 years apart), while the films are a mere 3 years apart. Now, if Farewell, My Lovely had been filmed in the late 40's rather than 1942 or 1975, and starred Mitchum, then I could see them as more of a series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK

JL-Dark-2.jpg

And dark it is! I guess the R rating is more than justified. Pretty intense new animated DC project which opens rather violently. Great cast of characters, including Constantine and Swamp Thing. DC starts strong in 2017!

Who are the other characters? I recognize Deadman.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Guest (2014)

One of the most fun action film in years. I never get tired of rewatching it. Dan Stevens is a total badass as the lead character, and once sh*t gets real, the body count keeps on rising, and delivers many brutal kills. The soundtrack is fantastic, I really like those cool 80's-style electro songs. Always a pleasure to see Lance Reddick, who also was in John Wick around the same time this film was released, so he sure is busy handling badasses like Dan Stevens and Keanu Reeves. With the very awesome but seriously 'what the fuck' ending, I hope there will be a sequel one day.
    La Notte (1961)

Starring Marcello Mastroianni, Jeanne Moreau and a stunning Monica Vitti.
    Very well directed movie, but with literally no plot it gets a bit dull. And why does every italian movie have to be so depressing (Umberto D, La Dolce Vita, L'Avventura, Roma città aperta, Ladri di biciclette, etc...)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The Beach (2000)

Extraordinary film. Why it received so much flack is beyond me.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK

JL-Dark-2.jpg

Who are the other characters? I recognize Deadman.

In order from left to right :

Andrew Bennett, a vampire

Deadman

John Constantine

Zatanna Zatara, the sorceress

Black Orchid, a living plant.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Rogue One

A film of two halves—one surprisingly flat and uninvolving, the other surprisingly visually spectacular. The problem with Rogue One is that it starts out with a long series of character scenes and/or exposition scenes where characters stand around and feed us information. Now this in and of itself shouldn't necessarily be a problem—the focus on character over action, that is—and is in fact an interesting direction to take a major genre franchise blockbuster. The problem is that our core cast is comprised of the most lifeless, most uncharasmatic actors imaginable. I had a lot of time to think throughout the first hour plus of the film because I was completely disconnected from anything going on onscreen: the shots were boringly framed; the jokes all fell dead on delivery; the music was a wash in the background—no fault of Giacchino's given that he was pulled in to rescore the film at the last minute and he did deliver for the dogfights. So with all this time to think I occasionally imagined what one of these scenes might play like with a young Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill delivering the same lines as Felicity Jones or whoever the other guy was or the blind Jedi wannabe, and I realized that's what was missing. The film had no star power. No charisma. No movie magic. No heart. It had people standing in dank interiors and talking about how they've "lived all their lives with this pain" with all the sincerity and emotion of somebody ordering a pizza. Granted Mendelssohn, Mikkelson, and to an extent Whittaker did fine jobs with their limited screen time. But again, it is our core cast and their direction that ultimately sapped the film of all its potential magic and energy, leaving me a very long and boring—what was it, like an hour and twenty or thirty minutes?—of wondering when the film was going to start involving me.

This happened during the scene with Mikkelson's hologram projection. Kudos to Mads and Giacchino's music for pulling a few heartstrings here. And then our core cast takes over again for awhile and we're back to wondering when the movie is going to decide to do something with itself.

So the climax comes along, and yes, it was visually spectacular. The aerial dogfights and the land battles against the AT-ATs delivered some of the coolest, most stunning action the series has seen. I just wish it had involved characters I actually cared about. Because that's the problem. The visuals were really cool, but I didn't care one jot about what happened to any of the characters. Emotionally, I wasn't invested in any of them.

MAJOR SPOILERS:
    I have to give the film props for actually wiping out our heroes in that Death Star blast. I was wondering if that was the route they were going to take moments before it happened and they actually had the guts to deliver. The film critic in me nodded my head in approval and said job well done folks, that was the correct route to take. Visually, it was an awesome sequence as well. But here we return again to character. As a viewer, I was completely emotionally uninvolved and didn't care either way what happened to those two folks on the beach. Real shame because the whole ending there had immense potential.

Now after that, that's when the film actually finally began for me. We get Vader storming down a corridor slicing fools up to a Giacchino-ized rendition of the Imperial March, and then we see those familiar uniforms and that familiar interior and see the princess turn and say something to the effect of "that's our hope." Shivers. I'm on the edge of my seat now, fully in it, waiting for what happens next, and—ba-nah, ba-nah, ba-nah, ba-nah—end credits! I couldn't believe it. The movie was finally in its final 3-ish minutes starting to get good and here were the end credits slamming me in the face. Unbelievable.

So in conclusion, Rogue One was basically the slowest building, most frustrating tease in film form, and I guess the actual delivery would be A New Hope then. If the entire film had been along the lines of its final 3 minutes, we might have had one of the greatest Star Wars films ever. As it is, even the other prequels did more with their running times. Zero incentive to rewatch, but I guess I'm glad I've at least checked off this box.

Oh, and on the CGI characters...I had no idea they were going to be shown in close up and given so much dialogue. Initially I was impressed by the quality, but the longer the character was shown on screen, the poorer it held up and they definitely milked it too long. They still can't get the eyes right—and probably never will. The eyes, after all, are the window to the soul, and the day they authentically perfect CGI eyes is the day we should start watching the backs of anybody we know by the name of John Connor.
  • Never say never again, and it was bad...probably the worst bond, even if it's not considered to be a real bond, to me it is. Havn't watched it in 10 years and i remember why!
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,271
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012). Every time I rewatch this film I expect it to drop in my estimation, but it refuses to. Though I still have to put Begins and The Dark Knight ahead of it, Rises is still a great, satisfying threequel in my eyes. A great rewatch, and still one of my favorite Nolan movies. Sorry to his originals, but I just love his Batman trilogy so much.

Christopher Nolan Films Ranked
    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Inception
    6. Memento
    7. Insomnia
    8. Following
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Planet of the Apes
    Beneath The Planet of the Apes
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Right on, @FoxRox. It's now a cool, hip thing to hate Rises, but I love and appreciate it just as much as I did the day I was lucky enough to experience it at its midnight release with friends after our local cinema had held an all day even that screened the previous two movies leading up to it. Watching them all together, the films form a very special journey of a man just trying to make good on his vow, and for my money we won't see a live screen Batman that expertly crafted with such intellect, heart and meaning for a long, long time, if ever.

Nolan and his team did something truly special, and though I love them all The Dark Knight especially has, for me at least, become a modern classic. That film changed everything, and I knew as I shook with glee in my theater seat watching Heath do his thing that I was experiencing something that would change pop culture forever. I've never had theater experiences like I had with these films, and I probably never will. Watching Rises that night with so many of my fellow fans and a couple of my best friends was special, because we'd all been there waiting in anticipation for eight hours as the marathon screenings led closer to midnight. When the credits finally rolled on Rises the room erupted in applause and for a minute, all of us just joined in appreciating the treat we'd gotten. It was a very emotional experience, and one of my fondest memories.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012). Every time I rewatch this film I expect it to drop in my estimation, but it refuses to. Though I still have to put Begins and The Dark Knight ahead of it, Rises is still a great, satisfying threequel in my eyes. A great rewatch, and still one of my favorite Nolan movies. Sorry to his originals, but I just love his Batman trilogy so much.

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Inception
    6. Memento
    7. Insomnia
    8. Following

I cannot disagree with that ranking, @FoxRox. Nolan's Batman trilogy is superb. I'm glad you also allow BB the praise that film deserves. You're also a fan of The Prestige - that makes me happy. I'm really looking forward to your review of Interstellar.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    SPOOKS: THE GREATER GOOD:

So, I had to have some of my muse to restore for something I've been writing and even illustrating for my entertainment, and I decided to put on a Lara Pulver flick, a film that appears to be a continuation of the "acclaimed" television series Spooks. She was in the last season and I loved her character as well as the scenes she was involved in. But, here? Not only the film was a waste of time but badly written, as well. No charm. Nothing. A spy thriller dealing with domestic terrorism 24 style. Both have premiered around the same time if I remember correctly, then again I hardly was a fan of this one, if at all. And the narrative is something only George R. R. Martin will approve of, an author I dislike heartily to say. And my favourite character is given a goodbye way out in the most absurd and uninspired way possible. As for the second lead character, Kit Harington plays a former veteran MI5 agent disavowed by Harry Pearce (Peter Firth) sometime before the events of the film, who apparently knows Pearce more than anyone and has been in the business for quite sometime with apparently a long past that is not established on the screen for us to understand well. Harington was completely unconvincing in the role and barely had the look of a rookie, let alone a veteran operative. The ending was something akin to a John Le Carre story as was the cold atmosphere of the film itself which bored the hell out of me. It was a waste of time, and I never am paying any revisit to it ever again.

And I really really hope I don't see a James Bond film anything like this, since I know some fans are advocating for this style, but I would really rather that doesn't happen.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Right on, @FoxRox. It's now a cool, hip thing to hate Rises, but I love and appreciate it just as much as I did the day I was lucky enough to experience it at its midnight release with friends after our local cinema had held an all day even that screened the previous two movies leading up to it. Watching them all together, the films form a very special journey of a man just trying to make good on his vow, and for my money we won't see a live screen Batman that expertly crafted with such intellect, heart and meaning for a long, long time, if ever.

Nolan and his team did something truly special, and though I love them all The Dark Knight especially has, for me at least, become a modern classic. That film changed everything, and I knew as I shook with glee in my theater seat watching Heath do his thing that I was experiencing something that would change pop culture forever. I've never had theater experiences like I had with these films, and I probably never will. Watching Rises that night with so many of my fellow fans and a couple of my best friends was special, because we'd all been there waiting in anticipation for eight hours as the marathon screenings led closer to midnight. When the credits finally rolled on Rises the room erupted in applause and for a minute, all of us just joined in appreciating the treat we'd gotten. It was a very emotional experience, and one of my fondest memories.

That sounds like an amazing cinema experience, although I think Rises is the lesser of the three it seems to have gotten an unfair backlash, still an excellent film. My personal favourite Nolan is The Prestige, there's so much that rewards multiple viewings, it feels fresh everytime I revisit.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The rollout for TDKR was hurt by that tragic theatre shooting on opening night. It's a real shame because it cast a cloud on what is a tremendous finale to the Nolan trilogy. I'm continually impressed by how well he is able to tell relatively complex & multi-layered thematic stories within 2.5 or so hours while still incorporating enough visceral thrills to deliver decent global box office.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,271
    Interstellar (2014). I love this film; it's at least as good on rewatch. For me, this is one of Nolan's best films and greatest accomplishments yet. I know it's a pretty divisive one, but I remain highly positive about it. Just edges out TDKR on my list.

Christopher Nolan Films Ranking:
    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. Interstellar
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. Inception
    7. Memento
    8. Insomnia
    9. Following

That wraps up my Nolan-thon. I'll probably post an updated ranking once Dunkirk (2017) comes out and I see it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    jake24 wrote: »
    The Beach (2000)

Read the Alex Garland novel and you'll see why....

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Inception
    6. Memento
    7. Insomnia
    8. Following

Rises is my favourite of the three and works best on repeat viewings.

• FoxRox wrote: »

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Inception
    6. Memento
    7. Insomnia
    8. Following

I too dig Rises. Very rewatchable as you say. But Batman Begins will forever remain my favorite. The Dark Knight left me very cold apart from great performances by Ledger and Eckhart. I was particularly disappointed by how greatly both the tone of the film and the look of Gotham deviated from Begins. Rises, however, managed to bring things full circle a bit. It's not without its own flaws, but nonetheless it's quite a bit of fun.

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Inception
    6. Memento
    7. Insomnia
    8. Following

I too dig Rises. Very rewatchable as you say. But Batman Begins will forever remain my favorite. The Dark Knight left me very cold apart from great performances by Ledger and Eckhart. I was particularly disappointed by how greatly both the tone of the film and the look of Gotham deviated from Begins. Rises, however, managed to bring things full circle a bit. It's not without its own flaws, but nonetheless it's quite a bit of fun.

Yeah, I know it goes against popular opinion but I find TDK a bit overrated. It is an excellent film, but apart from the armoured truck/bike chase there is little in the film to raise any kind of excitement with me. And I find the 'who will detonate whose boat first' scene a bit of a bore, especially when you already know the outcome.

TDKR just works so well in every department (albeit with a few flaws) and I just love Tom Hardy's Bane.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I wish I had loved 'Rises' the way I enjoyed the first two, but it was just another disappointing conclusion to what was otherwise an incredible trilogy. These days, I may surprisingly be inclined to say that 'Batman Begins' is my favorite out of the three, I've found it to be better and better over the years.
  • RonBond007RonBond007 Norfolk, Virginia
    From Russia With Love. I was in the mood for a Connery Bond flick. I admit: I've half-assed watched FRWL a few times over the past 3 years and have the movie ranked #4 on my list of Bond films. Watching it closely though brings back the reason why I ranked It so high! Great flick!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I like TDKR the best as well. Tremendous film making achievement imho. Having said that, all 3 of them are in my top 20 of all time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Idris_Elba__Abraha_3473672b.jpg

Beasts of No Nation (2015)

This film is now cemented as my all-time favorite film. The performances from all actors are just out of this world, especially the actor playing Agu and Idris Elba. The directing is flawless, the soundtrack is epic, the cinematography is lush, and the film features a ton of very, very powerful scenes - Idris Elba's introduction, the convoy attack scene, the taking of the bridge. 10 years ago I thought it'd be a long while before I rank another film close to 'Blood Diamond' and 'Lord of War', well 'Beasts of No Nation' has beaten them by a fair margin.
    Interesting...hopefully this film will be on SKY Cinema soon and I can give it a watch.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 40,490
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Interesting...hopefully this film will be on SKY Cinema soon and I can give it a watch.

Netflix owns the global distribution rights, so unfortunately it won't. If you do ever get the chance to see it, I also highly recommend it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »
    The Beach (2000)

Read the Alex Garland novel and you'll see why....
    I guess that's where most of the criticism was geared towards.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I recently watched ethos win tandem, as well (as part of a complete Marlowe retrospective that I and a friend were doing). I liked them both, but preferred the former. Interesting that they both contain the same actor playing Marlowe, yet are set in different time periods, or Universes too, if you will.

Indeed, I don't really think of those two as being of the same series. They have the same actor playing the same character, but they exist in different times (roughly 30 years apart), while the films are a mere 3 years apart. Now, if Farewell, My Lovely had been filmed in the late 40's rather than 1942 or 1975, and starred Mitchum, then I could see them as more of a series.

I love both of those Mitchum Marlowe films. I do prefer the period setting old Farewell My Lovely. The music, the cast, the lighting, all excellent. It 's pretty funny that Mitchum had only one suit in the film, which was a hand me down that Victor Mature had worn in one of his films. Mitchum complained he was wearing "Victor Mature's old farted up suit."
    By The Big Sleep he had some new 1970's threads. The Big Sleep is pretty cool and easier to follow than the Bogart version. IMO though, it's nowhere near the ranking of that classic Bogie noir. Farewell My Lovely, though I feel is a good rival to Murder My Sweet.