Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• Whoever does handle the Bond Licence, I really hope they nail down what makes a Bond game so great. EA games had a great run, in fact I own all their Bond Games from TND to FRWL (including both versions of TWINE), yeah there was a few missteps here and there, but for the large part the games were enjoyable. Activision got off to a good start, I've played all 3 versions of QOS the game, and currently own the PS2 version, I own the Goldeneye remake for 360, 007 Legends, and Blood Stone for NDS. I just think that Activision kind of crashed and burned with the Licence. As far as my pick for the next developer, I nominate Telltale games; I was skeptical about their Batman game but it was actually really good, and I think the whole Telltale engine could be made great use for a Bond game, and actually make the player feel like James Bond, in the same way their Batman game did that. Second choice would be Rocksteady.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond games should feature gripping action and major set pieces that you are a part of. Telltale are great at story when it counts, but their games are glorified playable films. Nothing wrong with that, as it works for some properties, but certainly not a character like Bond whose games demand visceral action and clever and involved gameplay.
  • Bond games should feature gripping action and major set pieces that you are a part of. Telltale are great at story when it counts, but their games are glorified playable films. Nothing wrong with that, as it works for some properties, but certainly not a character like Bond whose games demand visceral action and clever and involved gameplay.

I think Telltale could make a Bond game with all of those things you mentioned. It won't have the player be as involved in the action as other Bond games, but it's a chance to make a Bond game that isn't trying to live up to the greatness of Goldeneye N64. Where I think Telltale could get things right with Bond would be the actually espionage he does, interactions with other characters such as M, Q, the villain, etc...I do see your point of view when it comes to the action set pieces, that would be the one thing Telltale isn't that good at, as evident by their recent Batman game, however I firmly believe the company has the potential to make a crackling Bond game that, while standing out of the traditional shoot em ups the games are most known for, respects the movies and games that come before, while offering something new for players. It would be a great way to put the players in Bond shoes, controlling how he thinks, and how he will ultimately meet his objective.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Telltale is an immediate no from me. Especially when, as Brady mentioned, all they make is playable films, or as I say, interactive movies. I don't find the genre interesting in the slightest. It has its audience, but I'd rather not have another point and click in entry in the Bond games franchise. Give me a system where I can control my character with a controller or a keyboard, not a mouse or a cursor. Make the primary genre of the game the element of shooter, with switchable perspectives. The action set pieces don't have to be heavy as that would kill the experience. But, developers and publishers alike should understand that playing safe won't result in a good outcome. EA tried to strafe away, they tried to do something original but Eon was holding their leash very heavily, so they couldn't expand. Activision didn't even try. Give me a title that I could feel the spice of it, have a taste of it and enjoy it. A spy game with shooter elements with first and third person views, starring James Bond. That's what I'd want from a Bond game.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want a Bond game that was as great as Nightfire. It is the definitive Bond game. It had excellent controls, Story, action, locales. That's what I want in Bond, make it like Hitman Blood Money with the option to toggle between first and third person and we have the best Bond game ever.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I don't understand what's wrong in the gaming world that people actually like these non-games that Telltale puts out. These are games where the player isn't involved in playing. I'd rather see more lame COD rip-off Bond games than have Telltale anywhere near Bond, and I hate COD.
    The only telltale game I liked was Back to the Future. Other than that, I don't want them for Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    A Telltale strategy would work only if the story of the game was a grounded spy thriller like FRWL where the point and clink aspect would work, but otherwise, it just wouldn't serve the story well enough. It makes me hard to get excited about a game when the most I'm involved is a press of the triangle or square button and a slight jingle of the analog sticks.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,080
    Very good points from all of you. As mentioned above, Telltale would be great for more down to earth Bond game, and I'd love that. My dream would be to have a Bond game based off the novels, and I think that is where Telltale could do a great job. That way they wouldn't have to tie down to the film franchise or any specific actor in the role, which is where I think GE reloaded and 007 Legends went wrong. My biggest gripe about those two games was not incorporating the actual Bond actors from their respective films. It's an insult to the original movies, and actors. The games were good don't get me wrong but still something I personally don't find good about those games.
    Very good points from all of you. As mentioned above, Telltale would be great for more down to earth Bond game, and I'd love that. My dream would be to have a Bond game based off the novels, and I think that is where Telltale could do a great job. That way they wouldn't have to tie down to the film franchise or any specific actor in the role, which is where I think GE reloaded and 007 Legends went wrong. My biggest gripe about those two games was not incorporating the actual Bond actors from their respective films. It's an insult to the original movies, and actors. The games were good don't get me wrong but still something I personally don't find good about those games.

I think a lot of the criticism of those games comes from their lack of identity. They just scream CoD, and with Activision as publisher, it was almost inevitable. They were making massive bank with those titles yearly, and thought the Bond games would give them great returns too if they just made them CoD games with a James Bond guy in them. Because of this they don't really feel like Bond games, and don't have an identity that fits the character because of that. There's something soulless and hollow about them, and they were never made from the right place, and didn't seem to be made by people who actually loved the character.

Bond games need to be their own things, and play by their own rules, with elements in them that we expect from such titles. Blood Stone, as prototypical as it could be, had some exciting gun play, great driving sections, good movement controls and camera work that resulted in an adventure that wasn't mind-blowing in its construction, but that was very satisfying. The combat and other elements could've used work, but it played smoothly and I never had a problem with it not operating as expected. Its beauty was often in its simplicity and straight-forward nature, easy to pick up and play in a way that made you feel like a capable agent, a feeling that is a must for a Bond game.

That we didn't get a Blood Stone sequel is fittingly very BS. I'd love to see future Bond games take what worked in Blood Stone and just continue to develop it. Make more original stories like it, with the same great gunplay and driving (and an option to do first or third person), them amp up more of the combat, giving us the ability to do CQC on the move, and make even more clever set pieces that make sense for the story. Bring the visceral feeling of wonder from the movies to the games, putting us into these unbelievably crazy situations as Naughty Dog always did with Uncharted, and let us survive through them as James Bond.
  • Agreed, I personally for one do not like modern day shooter games. COD, Battlefield, and some of the other titles nowadays just don't give me that kind of excitement, it's actually easy for me to get bored playing those kind of games. I enjoyed the Bond games from Activision, but they don't really hold up with me as well as some of the others. I don't go back and play those games as much as I go back to GE64, Agent Under Fire, and Nightfire. Hell I think I'd even pick the early PS1 Bond titles over most of Activision's stab at the franchise. I haven't played Blood Stone on consoles, I'll have to buy it from eBay soon. I've played the NDS version before and it didn't really stand out for me.
    A hybrid between a Telltale game style and a shooter would fit best depending on the situation.

A bit off topic here - Gun lovers, would anyone want to cooperate on making an IMFDB page on Everything or Nothing? I recently revised the Nightfire page and there was no article on Everything or Nothing yet!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Considering the smaller amount of weapons in EoN, this surprises me.
    Gummy wrote: »
    A hybrid between a Telltale game style and a shooter would fit best depending on the situation.

A bit off topic here - Gun lovers, would anyone want to cooperate on making an IMFDB page on Everything or Nothing? I recently revised the Nightfire page and there was no article on Everything or Nothing yet!
    I used to write on Everything Or Nothing before the page ended up being deleted, but I gave up. However, if you could wait for a month, I can deliver enhanced graphics HD screenshots for each weapon. I already have a few on my hardware, including the complicated take on the P99 that's a combination of a Walther P99 and a Smith & Wesson SW99.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 70
    I can fire up the Dolphin emulator and get up the resolution so we can get HD screenshots of the weapons. I took some screenshots for the Nightfire page.

Looking back, I never realized how so little the amount of weapons in EoN were. Maybe it was the constant weapon/gadget switching that confused my memory.

I really want AUF/NF or maybe EON/FRWL to get a remastered treatment which has the same effort and quality that Raven Software put on Modern Warfare Remastered which kind of set the bar for all coming FPS remasters. I mean they should make a new fresh Bond game but a remaster on the side is pretty great

EDIT: Well, the article is still on the talk page but unpublished.
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Talk:007:_Everything_or_Nothing
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Christ, it's been way too long since we got a new Bond game - what's the holdup again? Is it a developer/rights issue, or an overall lack of interest, or something else? I'm hoping once Bond #7 comes along, someone will try to develop/market a new game to sell alongside his first film.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I put the PS2 games on the PCSX2 emulator last year and fired about a few screenshots. I was insanely experiencing jaw dropping moments by how detailed and enhanced those in-game models and cutscenes were. If they make HD Remastered Editions of these games, they'd make tons of money.

However, if I can remember correctly, I'll list the weapons that are there in EoN.
    1-P99/SW99
    2-SIG SG553
    3-Franchi SPAS-12
    4-AK-74 (although some identify it as Norinco Type 74)
    5-Heckler & Koch MP5K
    6-Desert Eagle (was it Mark III? Can't remember exactly that one.)
    7-A black coloured SVD Dragunov (in reality, the front grip and the rear are only available in mahogany plate)

Fictitious weapons:
    1-Grapple/Dart gun, loosely based on Heckler & Koch P11.
    2-Rocket launcher, loosely based on the Milkor MGL grenade launcher, but square-cornered more than circular.

Did I forget to list one?
    I think you have listed them all aside from the Golden/Platinum gun.
    I believe that FRWL has more or less the same amount of firearms.

I suggest using the Dolphin emulator (Gamecube and Wii) at least for Nightfire. It runs better and it emulates Nightfire perfectly in 60fps. Nightfire on PCSX2 is straight up broken (just search some images or footage of Nightfire being emulated on PCSX2)
    @ClarkDevlin, wasn't there a Golden Gun featured? A Platinum Gun, too, if this Wiki list I looked up is correct, though I don't recall there being one in the game. However, I haven't played the game in over a decade, so my memory isn't to be trusted.
    Oh yes. The Golden/Platinum gun. Kept smacking my head all over the controller to unlock that one back in the day. Couldn't manage to get further. Haha!

And agreed, @Gummy. Agent Under Fire doesn't work beyond the first level on PCSX2, and Nightfire as you said is broken. I believe I did try out the GameCube version of AUF on Dolphine but couldn't manage to enhance the graphics.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Christ, it's been way too long since we got a new Bond game - what's the holdup again? Is it a developer/rights issue, or an overall lack of interest, or something else? I'm hoping once Bond #7 comes along, someone will try to develop/market a new game to sell alongside his first film.

@Creasy47 As far as I know, the holdup is simply that EON have not licensed anyone to make Bond games after Activision gave up the license. I doubt that they will sell the license to anyone until they know who will be in the next film and they have the whole distributor issue sorted out. I also believe that EON perceives a lack of interest in the market after the bad reception of 007 Legends, when in reality any lack of interest stems from the poor quality of what Activision was giving us, not an absence interest in Bond games.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    A shame that james bond world of espionage was removed, wanted to at least try it out ;(
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's much better this way. Take my word for it.
    You can still experience it. Not worth it honestly.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Good lord, now I see why lol. Did anyone here actually play it all the way through?
  • I played a level and instantly hated it
    Navigating your way through your phone's settings menu is about as engaging an experience as World of Espionage.
    Murdock wrote: »

I'd sooner have no more Bond games than have to endure this crime against humanity.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I'd sooner have no more Bond games than have to endure this crime against humanity.
    Exactly.
    This is the next Bond game we need. :))
    oGASsOtl.jpg