Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This is why I never get rid of my old systems. I currently have a NES, SNES, N64, PS2, Wii, PS3, WiiU, PS4, and a low-spec gaming PC. This is also why I have no room. :D

For those who would like to run PS2 games in HD without the use of an emulator, the first generation fat PS3 was capable of playing PS2 games, but these were the ones known for overheating, so there aren't many left. These were also the most expensive units, because they had the guts of an entire PS2 inside, in addition to the PS3 guts, so they didn't sell well in the first place.
  • My original 60gb PS3 got the dreaded yellow light of death. I bought a slim PS2 recently for $25 here in the States. I'm sure you could find one cheap online.
    PS2 emulator doesn't run so well. Most of the EA Bond games are released on the Nintendo Gamecube. Use the emulator for that (Dolphin) because it runs like a charm and also emulates Wii. I remember EON running okay in the PCSX2 emulator but FRWL would run like a slideshow. Nightfire has buggy graphics as well.
  • Gummy wrote: »
    PS2 emulator doesn't run so well. Most of the EA Bond games are released on the Nintendo Gamecube. Use the emulator for that (Dolphin) because it runs like a charm and also emulates Wii. I remember EON running okay in the PCSX2 emulator but FRWL would run like a slideshow. Nightfire has buggy graphics as well.

Doesn't it also depend on the PC you have? I once tried downloading the Dolphin emulator on to my desktop and tried playing Batman Begins for it, and it ran like complete shit (granted this was my old desktop and now I have a laptop)
    Ugh guys, I'm so starved for a Bond game that I hooked up my old 360 and am playing through 007 Legends again...

I really want a new Bond game
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    Ugh guys, I'm so starved for a Bond game that I hooked up my old 360 and am playing through 007 Legends again...

I really want a new Bond game

I did something even worse...I played TND PS1 again (until I just couldn't stand it anymore). 007 Legends actually isn't half bad, and I liked it a lot more the second time through than I did the first. I much prefer it to GE Wii; Legends has more Bond style. They're both COD clones anyway, at least Legends had some fun at the same time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I love these games, even though they suck sometimes, when do you think we will see another one
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's hard to even rate the Bond games of the recent past with a clear head these days. We're so desperate, we'll take anything!

EON need to have a good developer and publisher team and go back to the EA model around the time of Agent Under Fire. Do a game with an original Bond (model, voice, everything) and tell new stories with him that can do things the current films can't. Connect it to the Connery timeline, go crazy with the plot, anything. Just make it a massive blockbuster title with bigger open worlds to track and kill targets in/complete optional objectives, and have great driving, combat, shooting mechanics, etc.

Imagine a game in the Hitman model (only in part, mind) that allowed you to customize Bond with a suit/gear and any and all gadgets or weapons you've unlocked at the time to best realize your unique mission? Then have the missions play out across big maps with numerous ways to do the objective, with plenty of fun optional stuff for players who want more replayability. Sure, you could just focus on getting your target at a gala event, but little eggs could be in place around the map too that allowed you to stop by the bar and get a martini, or maybe there's specific women in the crowd you could try to seduce that would allow you to get to the target in an exclusive VIP area or something because they have a big enough name to get you in.

The driving could be the same, where you have a big map to drive inside and have to race after your target, but you're allowed to go down any one of numerous paths to cut them off before they escape. Uncharted 4 had a level like that, and it was excellently realized, showing that kind of idea could be done.

The combat should be a mix of The Bourne Conspiracy and the counter/attack mode of the modern third person game, giving Bond a deadly set of finishers to unleash when his damage meter was high enough. The only combat we get in these Bond games is one button press that shows Bond taking a guy down in a cinematic. We never actually get to punch their lights out ourself in a real fight, and that should change!

One can dream...
    I love these games, even though they suck sometimes, when do you think we will see another one

I'm not sure we ever will. Licensed games in general have fallen out of favor with devs due to the fact that the license holder often rushes them. This causes game quality to suffer, and has led to consumers being wary of licensed games. I'm afraid EON may have always thought of the games as a movie tie-in, rather than a medium in its own right deserving of effort and attention. When GE N64 was released, it came about two years after the movie, so Rare had time to work on it. Legends, however, was rushed to release around the time of SF, and suffered because of it. I do hope I'm wrong, and I'll be dancing naked in the streets if/when they announce a new Bond game, but some part of me doubts Bond's gaming future.
    It's hard to even rate the Bond games of the recent past with a clear head these days. We're so desperate, we'll take anything!

EON need to have a good developer and publisher team and go back to the EA model around the time of Agent Under Fire. Do a game with an original Bond (model, voice, everything) and tell new stories with him that can do things the current films can't. Connect it to the Connery timeline, go crazy with the plot, anything. Just make it a massive blockbuster title with bigger open worlds to track and kill targets in/complete optional objectives, and have great driving, combat, shooting mechanics, etc.

Imagine a game in the Hitman model (only in part, mind) that allowed you to customize Bond with a suit/gear and any and all gadgets or weapons you've unlocked at the time to best realize your unique mission? Then have the missions play out across big maps with numerous ways to do the objective, with plenty of fun optional stuff for players who want more replayability. Sure, you could just focus on getting your target at a gala event, but little eggs could be in place around the map too that allowed you to stop by the bar and get a martini, or maybe there's specific women in the crowd you could try to seduce that would allow you to get to the target in an exclusive VIP area or something because they have a big enough name to get you in.

The driving could be the same, where you have a big map to drive inside and have to race after your target, but you're allowed to go down any one of numerous paths to cut them off before they escape. Uncharted 4 had a level like that, and it was excellently realized, showing that kind of idea could be done.

The combat should be a mix of The Bourne Conspiracy and the counter/attack mode of the modern third person game, giving Bond a deadly set of finishers to unleash when his damage meter was high enough. The only combat we get in these Bond games is one button press that shows Bond taking a guy down in a cinematic. We never actually get to punch their lights out ourself in a real fight, and that should change!

One can dream...

This! All of this!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Clearly we all need to go to Pinewood with folders of diagrams/models and ideas to pitch our vision to Barbara and Michael.

I think you're right, @BMW_with_missiles, when you point out how EON seem to think only tie-ins are worth exploring. I can only speak for myself by saying that Blood Stone is my favorite Bond game of the HD era, and it's the only one that told an original story and wasn't a forced tie-in. That's the way forward: original games, original stories, nothing more, nothing less.

There's a way to do licensed games, and that's simply by giving the devs the time to do their work, instead of forcing them down a destructive release schedule. By not making a tie-in game for a film, you can throw that workload out the window and tell them to get it done at a later date when they feel it's truly polished.

The Insomniac team making the next Spider-Man game are a perfect example of this. The movie starring Tom Holland will be out in July, but Marvel and Disney aren't rushing the dev team, so the game will come out months after the film does, if not a whole year afterward. That way we'll get two nice Spider-Man related products in a reasonable timeframe, instead of just one good product and one flawed and rushed one that hurts the entire brand.

And that's how it should be done from now on. Release a Bond film at a designated time, but don't be afraid to have the game come out later on past that; if it's an original game, this will never be an issue in the first place. That way, fans get a new movie, followed not long after by a new game that offers two unique and great experiences for their money.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,000
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I'm reminded of a quote from one of the Perfect Dark devs;
    "We're going to make a game, we're going to make it good, and it will be ready when it's ready."

I want a Bond game built on this philosophy. And I agree, Bloodstone is certainly the best Bond game in the HD era. Even though it was made on a tight budget, it manages to stand head-and-shoulders above its counterparts due to its original story and the fact that it wasn't just a copy-paste of COD.
    in the mean time I have been playing hitman(2015) and its not bond but its probably the closest thing we will ever get
    Hopefully with the renewed release of licensed games in the future, especially in open world superhero titles, EON will see that there is a market for brand name games done right, given the proper time to be nurtured.
    Hopefully with the renewed release of licensed games in the future, especially in open world superhero titles, EON will see that there is a market for brand name games done right, given the proper time to be nurtured.

I hope you're right. The new influx of licensed games does give us a good reason to be optimistic.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You chaps have been hitting the best of the ideas in here. I do think the Bond games franchise isn't dead, but it won't be here for sometime, and I still think we won't get any in this decade.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Would love a mix of Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed. That is more information and discovery driven. Five acts in different exotic locations, open world concept where the story naturally progresses as you uncover more details about the villain and his/her plot. Allies, Henchmen, and Mi6 regulars interacted with throughout that help develop both character and the story.

Or I would just settle for any Bond game at this point :)
    I personally wouldn't want the Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed kind, nor for Bond to be open World. The kind of game that is Hitman with a large sandbox for each level is exactly what Bond needs.
    I personally wouldn't want the Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed kind, nor for Bond to be open World. The kind of game that is Hitman with a large sandbox for each level is exactly what Bond needs.

Exactly, open world in idea, but reigned in with worlds big enough to set impressive missions inside.

Exactly, open world in idea, but reigned in with worlds big enough to set impressive missions inside.
    Elementary!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I agree with that, kind of what I was thinking but poorly explained on my part. Sandbox is better descriptor than open world.
    I don't want to plant this in ur guys head but rockstar
    It will never happen unfortunately but just imagine ....................
    They'd do a cracking game! But, sadly, they rarely touch a licensed material. The only licensed game I know of that they did is The Warriors, based on the 70s film of the same name.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Yes, like Naughty Dog, Rockstar are original mavericks. It's a waste of their time to pursue projects that aren't their own. There's not a shot in hell that they'd ever make a Bond game.

EON just need to find a team passionate enough to do the job, with devs who have been in the industry for a while and know how to make the right game for Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Clearly we all need to go to Pinewood with folders of diagrams/models and ideas to pitch our vision to Barbara and Michael.

I think you're right, @BMW_with_missiles, when you point out how EON seem to think only tie-ins are worth exploring. I can only speak for myself by saying that Blood Stone is my favorite Bond game of the HD era, and it's the only one that told an original story and wasn't a forced tie-in. That's the way forward: original games, original stories, nothing more, nothing less.

There's a way to do licensed games, and that's simply by giving the devs the time to do their work, instead of forcing them down a destructive release schedule. By not making a tie-in game for a film, you can throw that workload out the window and tell them to get it done at a later date when they feel it's truly polished.

The Insomniac team making the next Spider-Man game are a perfect example of this. The movie starring Tom Holland will be out in July, but Marvel and Disney aren't rushing the dev team, so the game will come out months after the film does, if not a whole year afterward. That way we'll get two nice Spider-Man related products in a reasonable timeframe, instead of just one good product and one flawed and rushed one that hurts the entire brand.

And that's how it should be done from now on. Release a Bond film at a designated time, but don't be afraid to have the game come out later on past that; if it's an original game, this will never be an issue in the first place. That way, fans get a new movie, followed not long after by a new game that offers two unique and great experiences for their money.

I pray the next Bond game has the freedom of choice (and customization) of Hitman + the stealth of Splinter Cell + the vehicular combat of Spyhunter + the physical combat of Jet Li's Rise To Honor.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,812

One can dream...

You and I think alike! I've always wanted a Bond game like this. Something like Hitman meets Splinter Cell meets Deus Ex. It would be nice to approach a mission how you see fit. Go in guns blazing, be stealthy, or talk your way through (via dialogue options).

delete

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

One can dream...

You and I think alike! I've always wanted a Bond game like this. Something like Hitman meets Splinter Cell meets Deus Ex. It would be nice to approach a mission how you see fit. Go in guns blazing, be stealthy, or talk your way through (via dialogue options).
    Same avatar as well. Are you two related?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    If being Bond brothers (and members of the Connery Brotherhood) counts, then yes, we are. ;)
    jake24 wrote: »

One can dream...

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is my evil twin :P
    jake24 wrote: »

One can dream...

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is my evil twin :P

Why the hell do I have to be the evil one? After all, my icon is angelic and golden, while yours is a morose monochrome. I think you're the evil one here, laddie.