Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I also thought Civil War was nothing special.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, another issue I've had with them is that as the past few years have gone on, the films have gotten bigger and more expansive with the casts, so the movies themselves become a bit too bloated: way too many storylines and characters to focus on, and it takes away a lot for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Exactly right @Creasy47. It sort of reminds me of the 90's Batman period. They started off nicely with Keaton and Burton but then quickly became overly bloated. The same for Spidey (at least Spiderman 3). I feel like we're quickly getting there again, and it's compounded by both Marvel and DC churning these things out like there's no tomorrow.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, another issue I've had with them is that as the past few years have gone on, the films have gotten bigger and more expansive with the casts, so the movies themselves become a bit too bloated: way too many storylines and characters to focus on, and it takes away a lot for me.

Yeah I'm the same.

I've never really been that enthusiastic about these "universe" films. They all feel like they merge into one-another.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah I'm the same.

I've never really been that enthusiastic about these "universe" films. They all feel like they merge into one-another.
    It's funny you should say that, because if you watch the Justice League trailer, the recruitment scene between Wayne and Barry Allen is soooo deja vu, evoking Stark/Parker in Civil War.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm with you all on Civil War. I enjoyed it, but I've heard massive acclaim that it's the best superhero film ever, and that is just hilariously wrong. I also think people at up Spider-Man not because they loved him but just because he had Marvel's name plastered all over him.

What Marvel have working for them is that their brand is nearly indestructible at this point and they have freshness going for them big time. Every time they release a new film it's suddenly the greatest thing since sliced bread, leading to very overrated perceptions of things by viewers. The only film amongst the Avengers movies and the recent ones that've come out that truly deserves its acclaim is Winter Soldier, because it was a movie that worked on all levels, with great suspense, mystery, action and the biggest heart of any Marvel film made in the last ten years. It's their Dark Knight, in a way.

It'll be interesting to see how the Infinity Wars films pan out, because there's a chance it could implode on them with those two. Thanos has been a long-teased villain, so much so that fans are annoyed to only see him for two seconds at the end of a few movies years before Marvel ever plan on actually using him as a lead. If they don't get him right, a mistake they often make with villains, they could disappoint a lot of people. The thing that will deflect criticism will be the sight of the Avengers, the Guardians, Dr. Strange and all the rest teaming up in a big ensemble cast. If it's a train wreck it'll be a pretty one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wish they had kept the Guardians out of it. They are just annoying.
    Arbitrage (2012)
    I6WNhDe.jpg

This slick thriller stars Richard Gere as a Trumpian style wealthy Manhattan dealmaker/financier. Brit Marling stars as a sexy Ivanka style blonde daughter working at his company, Susan Sarandon plays his wife, Tim Roth plays a cop on his trail, Laetitia Casta plays his mistress and Nate Parker stars as his former chauffeur's son. Miller appears to have it all on the outside. He's on the front covers of magazines, has a great devoted family, a lovely home, a Maybach LWB, & a moody French babe on the side. Unfortunately, he's also made a few bad bets which have the potential to expose his company to a Madoff style fiasco, and is forced to quickly try to sell it before it gets into the open. Sadly for him, a few other mishaps occur along the way, including the death of someone close to him under shady circumstances, which put the cops on his trail. The film shows Miller expertly trying to navigate the mess he's in and deal make his way out of it. Can he, or will Roth's dogged cop catch up to him, and what will the impact of all this be on his 'perfect' family? I enjoyed this film immensely, but then it's my kind of thing. Gere is best in these kind of 'wealthy' roles imho. There's a neat little back of the napkin multi-million $ negotiation that takes place in a restaurant which reportedly was inspired by the incoming President Elect's own negotiation to sell his Palm Beach home some years back.
    @bondjames, was just trying to sell someone on that movie the other day! Only caught it once when it first hit blu-ray, but I really enjoyed it, as well. I recall Gere being rather snobby and unlikable in the role, which was refreshing since he's always so damn likable in everything else I've seen him in.
    @Creasy47, if you really want to see Gere in great form and playing against type I highly recommend 1990's Internal Affairs (not to be confused with Infernal Affairs, a Korean film on which The Departed was based). He is in fine form in that one. It also stars Andy Garcia. I think the film didn't get a lot of press because the media was pushing Gere as Mr. Clean during the same year for Pretty Woman, but I prefer it to that film. I also recommend 1992's Final Analysis and 1996's Primal Fear. He and I share a classic Mercedes-Benz fetish. You'll normally see him driving one in his films at some point.
    @bondjames, I've sadly never seen 'Internal Affairs' (heard of it, though) or 'Final Analysis' (haven't heard of that one). Always wanted to see 'Primal Fear,' and probably would've gotten around to it a long time ago, if it wasn't for the fact that I had the twist spoiled for me. It's the same reason why I still have yet to see 'The Usual Suspects.'
    @Creasy47, I'm sorry to hear about the spoiled twist. That was a killer moment in Primal Fear. Still it's worth a watch if you like courtroom thrillers. Final Analysis is a psychological thriller with some throwbacks to Vertigo (visually), and if I can further entice you, also stars a young Uma Thurman and Kim Basinger. Gere plays an ambitious lawyer who gets into trouble in both.
    Duly noted, thanks for the recommendation, @bondjames. I'm going to have to check it out the next time I get the opportunity. I'm sure I'll eventually get around to the likes of 'Primal Fear' and 'The Usual Suspects,' it just puts a damper on the process when I know the killer twist behind it all.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames Have you ever seen the film C'était un Rendez-Vous? It's a 1976 french short-film. If you love car-chase in films as I think you do, you will love it. This is what happens when you let loose a former Formula 1 driver in the streets of Paris in the early morning:

Wow @DaltonCraig007. What a way to see Paris! I feel like I know the city much better now. That's one heck of a 'tracking shot' and the car engine sounds are amazing. How did he get permission to do this (I guess he didn't)? It reminds me of a film I saw many years back with Steve McQueen called Le Mans.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The November Man (2014)

Definitely the best experience I've had with this film.
    Network (1976)
    dLg7AyD.jpg

This was my first watch of this Sidney Lumet directed landmark film. It has an all star cast including William Holden, Peter Finch, Faye Dunaway, Robert Duvall & Beatrice Straight. This could be seen as a film about US Networks and the pressure on them to increase ratings, and it certainly is about that. However, it's about far more as well, including globalism, corporatism, exploitation for profit, family, love, becoming old and irrelevant, aggressiveness & assertiveness, & the 'me' culture among other things. It's a film that also predicted the future incredibly accurately, including the rise of people like Glenn Beck, WWE, reality tv. youtube (with all of its sensational videos), President-Elect Trump etc. The film follows a fictional news network, whose news anchor Howard Beale (brilliantly played by Finch) loses it on the air one night, claiming he is fed up with all the b/s. His frankness & honesty is an unexpected ratings hit, and the network capitalizes on this by making his new unhinged persona part of their nightly lineup. This scenario serves as the backdrop for the characters and drama that unfold around it. These include Dunaway's ambitious & ratings obsessed programming executive Diana; Holden's old school newsman Max(trained by Ed Murrow) who is in love with her and increasingly disgusted by what he sees happening in media; Beatrice Straight's brief but exceptional role as Max's suffering wife Louise; Duvall's tough executive Hacket; & the network boss Arthur Jensen, played superbly by Ned Beatty. There are some truly incredible one-on-one scenes in this film, including the brutally honest one when Max tells Louise of his love for Diana, the later scene when Max leaves Diana after incisively advising her of her personal failings, Jensen's winning sales pitch to Beale, & of course Beale's famous tv breakdown. "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!". This is a prescient classic with great performances, and is well worthy of its reputation.
    Seemed fitting to watch Friday 13th part 6 today, slowly working my way through the series.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    3-days-to-kill-main-review.jpg

3 Days To Kill (2014)

I decided that today will be a Kevin Costner day for me, as I want to go through his recent 2 badass films. I started with his mission to hunt down a dangerous terrorist in Paris. I really like how the film mixes many humorous scenes (I really enjoy Costner's lighter side in all the moments with the African family) and the super badass action scenes (Costner taking down the motor convoy on his bicycle, and him tearing down those young punks at the party are awesome moments). A very cool soundtrack too - love the end-credits song and the track heard when Costner is looking mighty cool on his bicycle near the start of the film. Kevin Costner really is the latest addition to my list of badass older action stars that I want to see many more films with. Tonight I'll continue with 'Criminal', which was one of my favorites of 2016. Kevin Costner is a true legend, as far as I'm concerned.
    kevin-costner-criminal.jpg

Criminal (2016)

This film really is one of my favorites of 2016. Super fast pace for the 110 minutes run time. Kevin Costner is the ultimate badass here, he gets a big bodycount and numerous insanely brutal kills and moments (the Kebab shop/stealing the van, using a cactus and lamp to beat up a villain to death). A very cool soundtrack again (the end credit song and the techno song that Costner dances to while driving the van. A fantastic supporting cast - Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones, and a lot of thrilling action scenes. This film and 'Safe House' are my go-to films for 100 minutes of non-stop action and badassery. I hope that Costner makes more films like this in the future. What a total legend.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I get the impression that some users here revel in murder and violence,
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

zaZeb.gif
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

You jest, but this isn't all wrong. I know some here who largely only post on the "Rest in Peace" thread.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

You jest, but this isn't all wrong. I know some here who largely only post on the "Rest in Peace" thread.
    The grim reaper with several tentacles impersonating MI6 users?

The grim reaper with several tentacles impersonating MI6 users?
    No, I think it's just people who need cheerier hobbies.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,307
    Second watch of Marty (1955). Awesome film. It's probably in my Top 50 films ever.
    From The Terrace (1960)
    Wl2Qvlc.jpg

Adapted from a novel by John O'Hara, this sprawling drama stars real life couple Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. It traces the story of Alfred Eaton (played by Newman) who has just returned from WW2. His cold & distant father (played by Leon Ames) and alcoholic mother (played by Myrna Loy) live in Philly, where the elder Mr. Eaton owns a prestigious iron & steel company. At a party Alfred meets Mary St. John (played by Woodward) and woos her, causing her eventually to call off her engagement to Jim Roper (played by Patrick O'Neal), a Dr. preferred by her wealthy parents. Mary and Alfred marry & all seems well initially, but over time, their marriage descends into mistrust & adultery (by her with her previous fiance Dr. Roper), as Alfred focuses on his career at a prestigious but stuffy New York finance firm which requires a lot of travelling. On his long trips away, Alfred meets Natalie Benzinger (played by Ina Balin), the daughter of a client, whose warmth & innocence causes him to question his priorities, marriage & happiness. The remainder of the film focuses on Alfred's attempts to right the ship. The film is essentially a long soap opera, and is a bit slow paced. Still, it's beautifully filmed, with lavish location and costume work. This is the first film I've seen Joanne Woodward in, and she was impressive. She has an icy cool Hitchockian blonde thing going on, but also projects a lot of keen, sharp intelligence. She really nails the role here. Newman is excellent as usual and the supporting cast are also top notch.
  • I get the impression that some users here revel in murder and violence,

Guilty as charged.
    Vertigo (1958). Quite possibly Hitchcock's best film. My second favorite, right behind Psycho (1960).
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Vertigo (1958). Quite possibly Hitchcock's best film. My second favorite, right behind Psycho (1960).

51WOS0RcRkL._SY300_.jpg

Got a week off next week plan to resume making my way through this box set, Vertigo Is visually stunning with uniquely bizarre locations. Still not watched it on BD as yet.