Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    Connery - DN to YOLT
    Lazenby - OHMSS to TMWGG
    Moore - TSWLM and MR (seen as a successful but short term experiment with froth)
    Dalton - FYEO to LTK (but I would have preferred Lewis Collins)
    Respecting the six year gap if I have to, if not, room for both Dalton and Collins overall)
    Brosnan - GE first of five films from 95 to 03 inclusive, two year cycle.
    Craig - starts in 2006 after a three year gap from Brosnan with CR, then QOS in 2008 then SF in 2012. I am respecting the 4 year gap between his films - if not, he can squeeze one in via a stand alone adventure between QOS and SF. But EON/MGM quicker off the mark with SP (2014) and his final film - that concludes the SP story - released in 2016.
    2018 - New Bond film, new Bond star.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    acoppola wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    1423503682_james_bond_timothy_dalton_deal_with_it.gif

He even scowls putting on those glasses.

You have to be kidding if you think he is scowling. He looks cool as f**k!. But, Craig in the scene in Skyfall when he is in the museum, where he gets introduced to the new Q is pathetic. He looks so uncomfortable and the way he delivers "You must be joking!", is an insult to how superb Connery did it.

My wife is Colombian and finds Dalton highly culturally relatable, and has a look that can translate to other cultures, which is part of what James Bond is. She thought Dalton has mixed ancestry. Craig is ideal for a white audience and hardly represents diversity. No one I know in Colombia sees him as James Bond!

Bottom line. Dalton in his younger form would be a better representation of Bond now in an age where cultural diversity is playing a greater role, because he has those dark looks. Certainly for where a Latin American audience is concerned!

So dark people can t relate to a white actor?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    "acoppola wrote: »
    My wife is Colombian and finds Dalton highly culturally relatable, and has a look that can translate to other cultures, which is part of what James Bond is. She thought Dalton has mixed ancestry. Craig is ideal for a white audience and hardly represents diversity. No one I know in Colombia sees him as James Bond!

Bottom line. Dalton in his younger form would be a better representation of Bond now in an age where cultural diversity is playing a greater role, because he has those dark looks. Certainly for where a Latin American audience is concerned!
    I have to admit I never saw Dalton as anything other than British personally. I definitely don't see 'mixed' ancestry when I look at him. It must be in the eye of the beholder.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    bondjames wrote: »
    "acoppola wrote: »

I have to admit I never saw Dalton as anything other than British personally. I definitely don't see 'mixed' ancestry when I look at him. It must be in the eye of the beholder.

When I was growing up, some mentioned to me that Dalton was not English enough in look. What does that mean? Perhaps too foreign looking for their liking.

Contrast Craig and Dalton in look, particularly in Skyfall, and Craig has a far-right thug look. In some scenes. Very unfortunate, because some people are sensitive to it.

My wife and many Colombians I know do not care for Craig. Many black people I know are not particularly thrilled either. And yet they love Roger Moore, so it is not being anti-white.

Yet Tom Cruise is massive in Colombia as well. I guess they like the classic western look. The white thug look is something Craig should have thought through.

Contrast Craig and Dalton in look, particularly in Skyfall, and Craig has a far-right thug look. In some scenes. Very unfortunate, because some people are sensitive to it.
    I can appreciate that Craig seems to lack a certain finesse, and that may have been emphasized by his haircut in SF. He's definitely the most 'working class' of the Bonds to my eyes, but I don't mind it because he makes up for it with sheer brute force and screen energy. I get your point though.
    My wife and many Colombians I know do not care for Craig. Many black people I know are not particularly thrilled either. And yet they love Roger Moore, so it is not being anti-white.

Yet Tom Cruise is massive in Colombia as well. I guess they like the classic western look.
    I can appreciate the love for Moore and Cruise. Both great looking guys in their prime, and they both carry themselves very well.
    I can appreciate that Craig seems to lack a certain finesse, and that may have been emphasized by his haircut in SF. He's definitely the most 'working class' of the Bonds to my eyes, but I don't mind it because he makes up for it with sheer brute force and screen energy. I get your point though.

Yet Tom Cruise is massive in Colombia as well. I guess they like the classic western look.
    I can appreciate the love for Moore and Cruise. Both great looking guys in their prime, and they both carry themselves very well.

Thank you for your as always intelligently considered replies. One can debate amicably with you.

I also wanted to emphasise how some will denigrate past Bonds, but, give Craig an easy ride. Yet my point is that Craig is easy to pick apart if one wants to nit-pick everything.

Some who like to dish out criticism should be open to take it over their choices.
    I also wanted to emphasise how some will denigrate past Bonds, but, give Craig an easy ride. Yet my point is that Craig is easy to pick apart if one wants to nit-pick everything.

Some who like to dish out criticism should be open to take it over their choices.
    Craig gets a little more positivity because he's the incumbent. I recall the same being the case when Brosnan was Bond. It's very possible that folks will be more critical once he moves on from the role, but of course it will depend on who his successor is and what his strengths are vis-a-vis Craig.

Craig gets a little more positivity because he's the incumbent. I recall the same being the case when Brosnan was Bond. It's very possible that folks will be more critical once he moves on from the role, but of course it will depend on who his successor is and what his strengths are vis-a-vis Craig.

Indeed. We live in a more and more fickle world. Brosnan was incredibly popular with the public and I never imagined Craig would surpass that. But I personally do not see the Craig era being as well liked in the years to come.

I actually thought Ben Affleck makes a better Bond than Craig, when I saw Batman V Superman. He looked so Bond in his tuxedo as Bruce Wayne. And he had a killer touch and had that right balance of look with acting ability.

You have to be kidding if you think he is scowling. He looks cool as f**k!. But, Craig in the scene in Skyfall when he is in the museum, where he gets introduced to the new Q is pathetic. He looks so uncomfortable and the way he delivers "You must be joking!", is an insult to how superb Connery did it.

I think Dalton has some Italian ancestry on his mothers side
    Getafix wrote: »

I think Dalton has some Italian ancestry on his mothers side

I believe he has Sicilian and Irish ancestry. My wife commented he does not look typically British. Yet he has that classic British class and elegance when he talks.

Thank God my wife loves Dalton as much as I do.

Getafix wrote: »

GQ were the only ones lamenting that Dalton was no longer Bond during the Brosnan era. They got him.

Craig fans forget how the same media that hated his casting, blanked out the negativity when the box office takings were huge.

But for all the financial success Craig has had, no one really talks much about him.

Moore during his reign was a constant talking point. I miss the Cubby Broccoli touch. Bond feels more corporate now than ever before,!

I do enjoy Timbo's films and his take on the character but I do wonder if he did study the books as much as he made out. The glamour of the character and the attention to detail were actually big parts of Fleming's writing. Clothes and brands were all described in intricate detail. I have read somewhere that Dalton insisted in wearing off the peg suits to go for a less refined look. It seems when they claim to be "going back to the books" large parts of the character are left behind.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2017 Posts: 6,761
    I do enjoy Timbo's films and his take on the character but I do wonder if he did study the books as much as he made out. The glamour of the character and the attention to detail were actually big parts of Fleming's writing. Clothes and brands were all described in intricate detail. I have read somewhere that Dalton insisted in wearing off the peg suits to go for a less refined look. It seems when they claim to be "going back to the books" large parts of the character are left behind.

There is a difference between stylish luxury and exuberant luxury. Dalton wore a Stefano Ricci suit in LTK, that's the kind of connoisseur luxury Bond would go for instead of let's say sponsored Tom Ford stuff.

It is the attitude of someone who knows what true luxury is instead of just wearing something that happens to be expensive due to marketing strategies.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I think it would
    GoldenGun wrote: »

There is a difference between stylish luxury and exuberant luxury. Dalton wore a Stefano Ricci suit in LTK, that's the kind of connoisseur luxury Bond would go for instead of let's say sponsored Tom Ford stuff.

It is the attitude of someone who knows what true luxury is instead of just wearing something that happens to be expensive due to marketing strategies.

Also the casual, looser look of Bond's suits in those Dalton films does reflect the fashion of the times. Very 80s.
    indeed the 80's have to be taken into account when clothing is concerned!

It just seems the "gritty realism" of the novels has been vastly overstated and taken as a blueprint.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,425
    But isn't the 'gritty realism' of TLD and LTK vastly overstated as well?

Large parts of both films are very old school fantastical Bond movie stuff. Hong Kong ninja narcos working undercover in Latin America?! It's totally bonkers. And all the better for it.

Last time I watched LTK I was struck by how much it actually sticks to the old formula. The realism really relates more to the lead performances and quality of acting, which are frankly amongst the strongest in the series.
    The clothing in the late 80's efforts haven't dated well, it's true. A bit shabby.
    It just seems the "gritty realism" of the novels has been vastly overstated and taken as a blueprint.
    I agree. The switch from the Moore era may have been too much for people to fully embrace. It certainly was far less 'fantasy' than even the early Connery films, which had a lot more glamour & exoticism. Moreover, Dalton didn't quite have the flair of Moore, and that, in combination with the clothing, direction and settings, gave the films a pedestrian feel imho.

They've done a much better job of combining grittiness with style during the Craig era, and that makes a lot of difference.
    Bond driving a truck on its side and doing a wheelie through fire.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Bond driving a truck on its side and doing a wheelie through fire.

=total awesomeness
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

They've done a much better job of combining grittiness with style during the Craig era, and that makes a lot of difference.

I don't agree. Bond has never been more of a brute than in the last two films. He looks like a soldier in a tux.

I don't agree. Bond has never been more of a brute than in the last two films. He looks like a soldier in a tux.

Well that is kind of what Bond was/is.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Well that is kind of what Bond was/is.

The problem is Craig has the suaveness of a wood block.
    I was referring more to the overall style of the films, rather than Craig vs. Dalton. The glamour and class. I think most would agree that both SF & SP had a lot of both. The same can't be said of LTK. TLD certainly had Bondian style in Vienna and Bratislava (and that was where the film and Dalton were best), but it wasn't enough imho.
    The clothing in the late 80's efforts haven't dated well, it's true. A bit shabby.
    I agree. The switch from the Moore era may have been too much for people to fully embrace. It certainly was far less 'fantasy' than even the early Connery films, which had a lot more glamour & exoticism. Moreover, Dalton didn't quite have the flair of Moore, and that, in combination with the clothing, direction and settings, gave the films a pedestrian feel imho.

I think that is being too general as regards the clothing of the Dalton era. When Dalton is first introduced to Moneypenny, he looks very elegant in the grey suit. I see nothing wrong with the suit he is wearing in M's office either after the incident in the safe house. Dalton's suits are far more like what Prince Charles would wear. But shabby they are not. And his tuxedos look perfectly fine and conforming to a more classic look.

If Bond is defined by his clothes, than get a male model to play him. It is the psychology and quick thinking of the character that is part of his appeal too.

Any casual clothes however, will date as fashions change. And that applies to any Bond film. What Craig wears in the opening of CR is hardly spectacular.

With Craig, particularly in Spectre, I feel he looks over-pampered and like he went through huge effort to achieve that look which becomes uncool. Connery's suits look like he didn't think too much about it and therefore he comes off as cooler and less vain.

The over-tight Tom Ford suits in Skyfall will date, and make Craig look shorter.

I have to agree. I see more of a thug in Craig, which is not what Fleming intended. Bond is more than a muscle man who works out 6 days a week!

• edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    I'm being honest, I think the more casual look Dalton has when wearing a suit (at least in TLD) gives him a slight "teacher" look. The tux is ok though.

Connery pulls off the suit best.
    I'm being honest, I think the more casual look Dalton has when wearing a suit (at least in TLD) gives him a slight "teacher" look.

Connery pulls off the suit best.

Better than Craig the plumber in a suit!

I think that is being too general as regards the clothing of the Dalton era. When Dalton is first introduced to Moneypenny, he looks very elegant in the grey suit. I see nothing wrong with the suit he is wearing in M's office either after the incident in the safe house. Dalton's suits are far more like what Prince Charles would wear. But shabby they are not. And his tuxedos look perfectly fine and conforming to a more classic look.

If Bond is defined by his clothes, than get a male model to play him. It is the psychology and quick thinking of the character that is part of his appeal too.

Any casual clothes however, will date as fashions change. And that applies to any Bond film. What Craig wears in the opening of CR is hardly spectacular.

With Craig, particularly in Spectre, I feel he looks over-pampered and like he went through huge effort to achieve that look which becomes uncool. Connery's suits look like he didn't think too much about it and therefore he comes off as cooler and less vain.

The over-tight Tom Ford suits in Skyfall will date, and make Craig look shorter.
    All good points. I definitely notice a decline in sartorial style and elegance during the Dalton era, but there are exceptions, and you've pointed them out (he does look very good and well tailored when he meets MP & in the Bratislava opening scenes). It's later in the film where I notice a precipitous decline however.

I agree on Craig as well. 'Over-pampered' is indeed a good way to describe his look in SP.

With regards to casual clothes, I think it's a fine line. Sure, some items will date as they are more 'of the moment' (Moore's safari suits for example) but I still believe that clothes must fit properly and that irrespective of fashion of the day, one can still look stylish. I think Moore pulled it off nicely despite some questionable fashion choices. I still contend that Dalton looked too 'plain and average' (for lack of better words) in most of his casual gear, and I would have preferred a nice polo (I'm glad Craig has brought that back). It could have been the casual jackets he wore that gave me this impression...not sure.