Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't think Dalton could have played Bond until 2002. Maybe 1997. Either way, I love GE the way it is. I couldn't imagine the film without Pierce.
    1423503682_james_bond_timothy_dalton_deal_with_it.gif

He even scowls putting on those glasses.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,894
    I don't see a scowl, but there is a definite smirk.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Legend! I actually think GE is a really bad movie, so although Dalton might have improved it I still think it would have been pretty awful. Alan Cummings, Cruella Deville, Jack Wade, the Cravatte, the DB5, Sean 'I'm not Northern' Bean trying to do posh. It's a calamity from start to finish.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    That is a good smirk definitely.

But he does that thing with his lips several times in his films, when he opens the binoculars in the opera house, when he pulls the cord releasing the jeep in the cargo plane and when he releases the tanker down the hill at the end of LTK
    Wow, you must spend hours watching Dalton trying to find faults in his performances. It only took me one watch to realise how dreadful Brosnan was. No rewatches required.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Wow, you must spend hours watching Dalton trying to find faults in his performances. It only took me one watch to realise how dreadful Brosnan was. No rewatches required.

#mostwatchedbondfilmisgoldeneye

No. I do like Dalton but there are expressions he sometimes does that make me a bit unsure. Not just in Bond but in other films too. His expressions are often quite in-your-face and dramatic.

Same goes for Brosnan.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Rewatching his two films over and over again help with that. He's a very flat and dull Bond. On par with Lazenby. Brosnan is a much better and enjoyable Bond. Dalton would have been bad in GE. It was tailor made for Brosnan and all the better for it.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Rewatching his two films over and over again help with that. He's a very flat and dull Bond. On par with Lazenby. Brosnan is a much better and enjoyable Bond. Dalton would have been bad in GE. It was tailor made for Brosnan and all the better for it.

Well I always really enjoy Laz's performance in OHMSS so the comparison is not an unfavourable one IMO.

Give me dull and flat Dalts and Laz over the mincing, vain metrosexual Brosnan any day.
    I'm mixed on Laz. Physically he's excellent and there's times when he works really well with Diana Rigg, but his voice rarely seems to change in tone.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'm mixed on Laz. Physically he's excellent and there's times when he works really well with Diana Rigg, but his voice rarely seems to change in tone.

Oh dear. Vocal tonality issues.

You are aware he's dubbed for half the movie?

Well I always really enjoy Laz's performance in OHMSS so the comparison is not an unfavourable one IMO.

Give me dull and flat Dalts and Laz over the mincing, vain metrosexual Brosnan any day.

Dalton minces as well. That stupid thing he does with his mouth when he's trying to be pissed or intimidating looking. It's like he's trying to hold in a fart. It's not Pierce's fault he was blessed with good looks. I'll take a solid Bond performance over a lame one. :D

Yes. I am. His most dialogue heavy part in the film too.

But when its his voice he often sounds flat.

Dalton minces as well. That stupid thing he does with his mouth when he's trying to be pissed or intimidating looking. It's like he's trying to hold in a fart. It's not Pierce's fault he was blessed with good looks. I'll take a solid Bond performance over a lame one. :D

I think to be honest both of them were guilty of false expressions. Everyone knows Brosnan's pain face but there is a certain scowl/angry face Dalts does.

When he's creeping around the boat in LTK. His expression feels like he's acting it for an audience and trying to show Bond's anger. You can imagine him doing the same look on stage.
    Oh I'm not saying Brosnan wasn't, in fact every Bond has made some bad facial expressions. Dalton's just irritate me. :))

Dalton struts - never minces.

Yes. I am. His most dialogue heavy part in the film too.

But when its his voice he often sounds flat.

I think he rocks in OHMSS. Totally nails it. Great chemistry with Rigg, even if they actually hated each other. Admitedly she's probably carrying him in a lot of scenes, but for me that's part of the charm of the film and something which makes his falling for her that much more believable - they genuinely seem to need each other. Wonderful stuff.

I don't want to wax too lyrical but only two other Bond relationships come close - Vesper and to a lesser extent Kara.
    Brosnan Rulez, Dalton Droolz. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Brosnan was popular Bond, but you never felt like he was really the driving force of his films. He just went with the flow. If you took Brosnan out of his films, they wouldn't be any different.

As for Lazenby, like Dalton, he might not have had the popularity of Mr Bryllcream, but Lazenby didn't exude that smarmyness, he was better in the dramatic moments, and he was a natural in the fight scenes (this is one area that I think Lazenby is better than all the other Bonds).
    Laz is good in several key scenes like in the barn, the second scene in M's office and at the end.

I don't think he quite "nails it" though. He's carried through a lot of the film by his co-stars and Peter Hunt's direction.
    Brosnan sucks. Dalton rocks.
    Brosnan was popular Bond, but you never felt like he was really the driving force of his films. He just went with the flow. If you took Brosnan out of his films, they wouldn't be any different.

Speak for yourself mate, I always watch Brosnan's films because of him. He makes them so much more fun and enjoyable. :D

Speak for yourself mate, I always watch Brosnan's films because of him. He makes them so much more fun and enjoyable. :D

He definitely brings an unintended comedy dimension to many of the 'dramatic' moments. He knows how to kill a scene - hands down the best at fluffing his big scenes.

He definitely brings an unintended comedy dimension to many of the 'dramatic' moments. He knows how to kill a scene - hands down the best at fluffing his big scenes.

That's a great joke. Much like Dalton's unintended comedic expression's in that Bar fight or his double takes in TLD. =))
    The double taking was all at Glen's insistence.
    Laz is good in several key scenes like in the barn, the second scene in M's office and at the end.

I don't think he quite "nails it" though. He's carried through a lot of the film by his co-stars and Peter Hunt's direction.

Well no, I mean, Lazenby wasn't an actor at the time. But given that, he did very well in those scenes you mention. And I think with time (experience), Lazenby would have gotten better.

Yes, i'm being unfair. I am forgetting his major contribution to his era, the tie straightening (both times). ;)
    "There's no point in LIVING if you can't feel ALLIIVEE"

OR

DELLA!!
    (dramatic facial expression and heavy breathing).

Both of them sometimes overplayed things.
    "How do I live? How do I breathe? When you're not here I'm suffocating"...wait, that's not something Bond said...That's more overplayed that both Brosnan's and Dalton's worst moments. :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm so with @Getafix on this one that I start to worry :P

DALTON bloody RULEZ™

LAZENBY ROCKS™
    I'm so with @Getafix on this one that I start to worry :P

DALTON bloody RULEZ™

LAZENBY ROCKS™

the two most underrated Bonds
    Craig's underacting = lack of talent
    Dalton would put Craig to shame if they played scenes together.
    Like Green did with Craig.

Finally found the clip in response to your earlier comment. An example of excellent underplayed acting from Craig in a scene with M: