Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    For a moment there, I thought that I were watching Humans. No green eyes, that was the giveaway.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He hates Skyfall so that clip won't do you any favors. :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Thank you @BAIN123
    I agree. This is one of the very few instances when Craig shines and probably the only scene with Dench where he actually is on the same level as her.
    I am not a huge Craig fan but after Brozza he was a breath of fresh air.

I am inclined to agree with those who thinks he's become massively overhyped. Once he's gone and we get a bit of perspective people will see him for the middling Bond that he is.
    @Getafix

I agree. Again.
    @Getafix

I agree. Again.

I'm shocked. Truly.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Yeah, I'm not sure many outside the core fans will remember much about Craig. His hair was the most innovative aspect of his Bond, and that's never a good sign.
    Having said all that, I'm in no hurry to see him go. We could and have had a lot worse, so while I may not think he's the 'best since Connery', I'm happy for him to do another.
    And again in agreement @Getafix

I actually want a fifth with Craig. His tenure was ok overall and CR-QOS-SP is a great trilogy.

And if I think of what could be
    ....Jamie Bell....
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes, are you serious? Do you really believe what you're saying? Are you aware that this so-called bland Bond is responsible for continually beating the M:I franchise, Bourne, and TMFU?

Even a weaker entry (in SP), still brought major bank. Why? Because the global audience has loved DC since CR.

Sam Worthington, he's dull.

DC is far from it.

Seriously, man.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I think Craig has a roughness and sex-appeal that suits him well in Bond - and the films have certainly succeeded in targeting female members of the audience.

However, I can't see Craig himself being a particularly "big" actor once his time as Bond finishes. In fact, I think the novelty may already be wearing off a bit. He's been supported (and marketed) very well in these films, but once it ends I think he'll go back to more obscure projects.
    Personally I think all 6 who have played Bond are good actors (they all get listed in my all time fave actors list). They all have different styles and techniques. George, simply wasn't an actor and had to learn his craft on OHMSS as he went along. Under the circumstances, he did an excellent job, IMO.
    There are many scenes in GE I could have pictured Tim playing- the cell with Natalya for example, but Pierce pulled it all off great. I've never had a problem with his performance as Bond -or Craig's either.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Getafix wrote: »
    I'm so with @Getafix on this one that I start to worry :P

DALTON bloody RULEZ™

LAZENBY ROCKS™

the two most underrated Bonds

That s for sure.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think Craig has a roughness and sex-appeal that suits him well in Bond - and the films have certainly succeeded in targeting female members of the audience.

However, I can't see Craig himself being a particularly "big" actor once his time as Bond finishes. In fact, I think the novelty may already be wearing off a bit.

That's true. When I read B25 articles on news websites the comment section is always full of people saying that Craig is old for the job now. After SP many YouTube reviewers mentioned that perhaps its time for someone new. There does seem to be a sense that people are growing tired of the current Bond.

I hope they are able to make one more with Craig, but only if they release by winter 2019 at the latest. If it will take longer than that, then they should just cut their loses and find someone who is interested in commiting to the franchise in the long term.
    It was such a waste doing over the hill bond for Craigs third film. That should have been Craig bond in his prime and then they could have done the ageing stuff for his fifth and final entry
    It was such a waste doing over the hill bond for Craigs third film. That should have been Craig bond in his prime and then they could have done the ageing stuff for his fifth and final entry

True. It was very jarring to leap from Bond's first few missions to being the wisened agent. Those around him go from doubting he is ready for the job, to doubting he still has what it takes. It's not a fluid arc at all.
    Skyfall was an artistic failure and mistake, not at the BO obviously though.
    I get that it had been a few years between QOS and SF and that Bond was now a more seasoned agent, but I agree that the sudden jump from reckless rookie to "I'm too old for this" feels a little...premature.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Skyfall was an artistic failure and mistake, not at the BO obviously though.

I've said this from day one. I was practically crucified around here back in 2012 for daring criticise the holy relic that is Skyfail.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    dalton wrote: »
    Yes, Craig lost brownie points with me as well after the faux suicidal ideations he made.

Very much agreed. I was also rather confused by the lengths that some were willing to go to in order to defend Craig for those comments, while outright slamming Brosnan for having the slightest critique of SPECTRE while having nothing but praise for Craig's work in the film.

The fact of the matter is that Craig is not the first actor to attempt a serious portrayal of Bond, yet it would seem that the media would like to crown him as such, or at least the first to attempt it since Sean Connery. While it would be nice if Dalton would get the credit that he clearly deserves, if for nothing else but attempting to bring the franchise back to something both closer to the novels as well as more in line with the tone of the original films as opposed to the camp of Diamonds are Forever onward, I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen. Still, hopefully Craig's films have caused a few people to go back and give Dalton another look, and see that he was ahead of his time rather than the failure that many people perceive him to be.

My opinion of Dalton has swayed back and forth ..thanks to a few here that have encouraged me to reevaluate Dalton I am back on board.

I was a fan of Dalton during his tenure as Bond but I felt alone ...

I have been critical of Dalton here but that's changing. I was too harsh...

My gripe against the Dalton films still remains to be Glen. I really wish another director had helmed Dalton's outings.

Sorry ...the acting in those two especially LTK just ruins what should have been classic outings.

Sorry I had to vent.

May be if we can convince you to reassess Dalton then we can also get you to reevaluate the criminally under appreciated John Glen as well. The man gave cinema some of the most iconic action sequences ever committed to celluloid and (IMO) five of the most consistently entertaining entries in the whole series. Even his less good films as Bond director have a lot going for them.

His action sequences for LTK have been referenced and ripped off by so many other films and yet people make out that he's a director of no consequence.

I appreciate that but I'm sorry I really am not a Glen fan.

But yes I do agree that Glen did give us some iconic and often copied action sequences.

And whomever mentioned the "chase bomb" sequence in OP is right. I love that part of the movie. OP is one of my favorites.

Truly respect your opinion though.

So OP is one of your favourites but you don't rate Glen...?

I'll try and work that one out later.

OP is top ten material for me. Possibly Moore's best.

Yup I like OP ...nope not a Glen fan. Glen got worse each film after OP and ignoring the Tarzan yell and tennis sound effects OP is his best.

Pretty sure he only made one more Bond film after OP

Huh?? Yea he made three. Each one worse than the one preceding it IMO.
    I was talking about Rog. Think I missed the previous comment.

OP is perhaps my favourite Glen film, but that doesn't mean there aren't great moments in the others.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I like OP but it was the time when Moore's stunt doubles started to show even more. Glen's directing sometimes feels a little sloppy (the stuntman riding the horse towards the plane doesn't even have the same hair colour as Roger).

Also, I really don't think Maud Adams is that great in it. However, she does work well with Roger.
    @BAIN123 you're such a nitpicker!
    Bring back Dalton and let's get this show back on the road!

Bring back John Glen too.
    They should have cast Dalton the first time around in 1969 and kept him until today and even longer, he still kicks ass, just watch Penny Dreadful.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    They should have cast Dalton the first time around in 1969 and kept him until today and even longer, he still kicks ass, just watch Penny Dreadful.

Now that would have been great for the Daltonites! :D

They don't like each other.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,187

"you're joking."

54fd619cb8847fdfd6da0985f485775e.jpg

I never joke about Dalton
  • Dalton_FishersDalton_Fishers Barcelona

Hear! Hear! =D>