Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    That can be debated, although not with you obviously, but that's ok for me. I stand firmly with my opinion that Dalton is unreached in about every way possible. Not by Brosnan and certainly not by Craig.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I stand firmly with my opinion that Dalton is unreached in about every way possible. Not by Brosnan and certainly not by Craig.
    I think you are both in agreement on that one based one what I've read in the past.
    Who was it that originally said "say you're lines, don't bump into the furniture?"

I remember Broz himself quoting that in an interview he did around the time of The Ghost Writer.
    Sums up his approach. Acting 101.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Brosnan never had a clear idea of what he wanted to do with the part. I don't think he actually approaches roles in that way. He's just a sort of 'feel your way' actor. But his instincts are patchy at best.

He knew exactly what he wanted to do with Bond: make his career on him. And he did. There's a Brosnan before and after Bond.
    Brosnan always toys around with self-criticism in interviews. He is witty and has a great sense of humour. Like Moore.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Brosnan never had a clear idea of what he wanted to do with the part. I don't think he actually approaches roles in that way. He's just a sort of 'feel your way' actor. But his instincts are patchy at best.

He knew exactly what he wanted to do with Bond: make his career on him. And he did. There's a Brosnan before and after Bond.

That's true. On career terms Brosnan played his cards impeccably.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Reading the comments about Dalton not being a believable womanizer, lets not forget that Dalton is the only Bond where none of the girls he seduces in his tenure die. Lupe, Bouvier, Kara, the PTS girl in TLD, they all survive. So kudos for the Daltonator to be pick wisely who he sleeps with. ;)
    A good point @DaltonCraig007
    Nice observation.

Also Dalton has the most class treating the ladies.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not Pam. He treats her like garbage. It would have been great of she pistol whipped him. :))
    And he should have killed Kara within 2 mins of meeting the dopey little shit.
    :))

maybe, but not before shagging her ;) at least I would have...but then I would shag anyone :))
    Dalton was too scrawny looking in TLD.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It really showed in LTK when he was shirtless or wore that baggy T-Shirt in the Harbor pilot scene.
    He did have the worst physique out of all the 6 Bonds.
  • Istvan_The_HunIstvan_The_Hun Scottsdale, AZ
    Dalton was the best!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »

Woudn t that be Brosnan in DAD?

No,i think Brosnan still looked good in DAD...Dalton just had a white body without a muscle in sight.

edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I thought Brosnan looked a bit frail in GE to be honest. More so than Dalton ever did. I recall feeling that way during the scene on the yacht in Monaco, when he throws that chap down the stairs before patting his brow.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    Brosnan always toys around with self-criticism in interviews. He is witty and has a great sense of humour. Like Moore.

No,i think Brosnan still looked good in DAD...Dalton just had a white body without a muscle in sight.

The opening scene of TLD, Dalton looks buff and imposing. His body is not white in LTK when he is with Lupe. Looks damn tanned to me!

Bear in mind that Dalton, and Brosnan are tall, with Dalton being 6 ' 3, so they look imposing enough. Bond is described as being lean, not a muscle man. Even when Connery got flabby, he still looked great in DAF!

I never had an issue with the physiques of Brosnan or Dalton, or Moore for that matter. Craig had to build his physique to compensate for being below 6 feet in height.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    in terms of physique Dalton looks fine.

Broz does look a bit puny at times (compare how Dalton looks in the opening of TLD with how Brosnan looks in the opening of GE and there's certainly a noticeable difference).

However, I think Connery looks the worst in DAF to be honest. Watch that film straight after Dr No and the difference is astonishing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, in DAF Connery, didn't even seem to try and get in shape.
    Agreed, in DAF Connery, didn't even seem to try and get in shape.

Didn't matter. His strength of personality and charm compensated for it. Women wouldn't say no to him anyway!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, it's the same with myself.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    in terms of physique Dalton looks fine.

Broz does look a bit puny at times (compare how Dalton looks in the opening of TLD with how Brosnan looks in the opening of GE and there's certainly a noticeable difference).

However, I think Connery looks the worst in DAF to be honest. Watch that film straight after Dr No and the difference is astonishing.

Oh sure @Bain123 Connery was very buff in his first film, and had an excellent physique. Brosnan like you say, looks underweight in GE. Though it went nicely with his image and style. His hair was always so perfect. It would take me an hour to get it like that!

• edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Brosnan often looked very stylised, that I certainly agree with. But I do prefer his look in GE to his look in DAD. He looks and feels too "daddy-O" in the latter.
    Brosnan often looked very stylised, that I certainly agree with. But I do prefer his look in GE to his look in DAD. He looks and feels too "daddy-O" in the latter.

GE was his best look without question, and then followed by TND. By DAD he was sleep walking the role, thinking he had another three films to go. There was a mentality that to secure your legacy, you had to do at least six films.

Yes I agree.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Brosnan often looked very stylised, that I certainly agree with.
    He certainly did. Almost like they were trying to clothe a mannequin rather than a real secret agent, who needs to look well dressed without looking like he's trying too hard. I feel the same way about Craig in SP. Jany Temime must go (I'm more adamant about this than I am about Mendes or Newman).

The trick is to wear the clothes rather than letting the clothes wear you. This is something Connery did to perfection. I think Craig got closest in QoS.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,425
    QOS is the most underrated film of the Craig era.

It's like the LTK of the Craig movies.