No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,110
    Martin Campbell is a hack. He’s not a particularly good film director – he’s a journeyman who relies solely on the credentials of the script. However, for some uncanny reason his sensibilities are enlivened by Bond and he directs the hell out of those movies. Campbell is a terrific Bond director.

Meanwhile, Sam Mendes is a marvellous film director – though as a Bond director he is a little hit and miss.

It’s ironic and somewhat interesting that these two notions are mutually exclusive. To direct a huge Bond production takes a particular skillset; where being an accomplished director from the indie or studio system does not guarantee success.

Denis is a marvellous choice – many in the cinephile circuit consider him to be the new Christopher Nolan – mainly as he isn’t afraid to take on genre films but always manages to imbue them with high artistry.

This guy is on a serious roll. He has been so consistent over the last few years and the rate he throws these films out is shockingly impressive. I can guarantee he is on EON’s radar, just as he is likely on Lucasfilm’s and DC’s (I can’t imagine the stingy Marvel studios would fork out for him as they essentially hire journeyman directors to executive Kevin Feige’s vision). Blade Runner will be his first big studio venture.

I hope EON grab him first. I’d love to see him come in and do his own unique trilogy within the series with a new actor in the part. I think Tom Hardy would be perfect with Denis behind the camera.

I feel if Craig does come back, it’ll be with Mendes. The thought of a Mendes-Craig reteam doesn’t get me as excited as the notion of Denis Villenueve making one of these films.

Inspired post. Agree with every word. =D>

I always thought Bond 25 had to be a special one. With a director like that, it's sure to be. Only problem is I don't think Denis would be interested with tying up the loose ends after Mendes, when he could be creating a whole new Bond from the ground up. :)
    Just bring back Campbell,tell Craig to make up his bloody mind,and get on with it !!!!!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just bring back Campbell,tell Craig to make up his bloody mind,and get on with it !!!!!

I agree Barry, Campbell is still my first choice. I really want him to complete the trilogy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    EoN should be impressed by Villenueve's work, much like the work of many others but I doubt they're smart enough to consider hiring him. They'd sooner beg for Mendes to return.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Edit
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Here are some of the locations Andrew of eon productions visited in Abu Dhubi https://mobile.twitter.com/Bond25Film/status/810883319697207297
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    This needs to happen. Those locations scream James Bond.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Bond at the F1? No thanks.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed.
    DCisared wrote: »
    Bond at the F1? No thanks.
    no not the race car location the other ones I think the villa at night with the pool would be perfect it looks very bond-ish

DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    This needs to happen. Those locations scream James Bond.

Yes it does especially that night one. B-)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I couldn't access the article but from the title doesn't quite sound like EoN is scouting???

I don't know but says execs visiting Dubai..

Anyway Dubai is fine.. Bond went there for Hammerhead.

And EoN only has eyes for Mendes ...that's my uninformed armchair take. Wouldn't doubt if they even have considered Villenueve.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Don't forget the GoldenEye remake.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Actually, that's what we're all trying to do.
    Walecs wrote: »

Actually, that's what we're all trying to do.

Speak for yourself I loved it
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I had missed the bit where the Reddit user claimed that Purvis, Wade, and Knight had developed a rejected script.

If Eon intend to make a 2018 release, things will without a doubt begin to kick into gear. Things are starting to heat up quickly, and we're due for a much more interesting year ahead of us.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Things are starting to heat up quickly, and we're due for a much more interesting year ahead of us.

I would wish, Jake. But indications show nothing heating ... or simmering or, hell, even having been brought into the kitchen at this point. I see most of 2017 slipping by with everyone busy on other projects. And then, as Fall approaches and it will sink in that two years have passed by since SP, panic will set in and movement will start. A 2019 release, then, if we're lucky and things really start heating up at that point.

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Ugh. Everybody cross your fingers for Daniel to come back so we can make a 2018 release!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Hell I don't mind if it's 2019. If Craig is coming back that's fine with me. (Although 2018 would be wonderful.)
  • 2019 is too bloody long to wait. That would be 4 whole years between Spectre & Bond 25! 2018 or get a new actor in the role. Seriously.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,110
    SonofSean wrote: »
    2019 is too bloody long to wait. That would be 4 whole years between Spectre & Bond 25! 2018 or get a new actor in the role. Seriously.

This.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    2018 is pretty long already - it should be Craig's sixth and last by then instead of his possible fifth in 2019 ...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    jake24 wrote: »
    I had missed the bit where the Reddit user claimed that Purvis, Wade, and Knight had developed a rejected script.

Good that it was rejected.
    I would hate another Craig, Mendes, Newman team up in 2019. What was timely in 2012 won't necessary work again 7 years later in capturing the audience. It's like hiring the same director of Goldfinger, and the same actor, 7 years later and trying to recapture the same magic.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 1,092
    If it's 2019 with Mendes and Craig and Bond 25 is at the same level critically and commercially as CR and SF it will be worth the wait. Craig will have 3 of the all time great Bond films, more than Brosnan, Dalton, and Moore, and will be counted among the best actors to ever play the role. As it stands now he's very good, one of the best, but will mostly be remembered for being the reboot Bond and little else. He deserves top tier status IMO.
    The OP has been updated with the latest news.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    If it's 2019 with Mendes and Craig and Bond 25 is at the same level critically and commercially as CR and SF it will be worth the wait.

Definitely. Except I bet it won't be, so please give me a Bond movie in 2018, no matter who stars in it.
    I would hate another Craig, Mendes, Newman team up in 2019. What was timely in 2012 won't necessary work again 7 years later in capturing the audience. It's like hiring the same director of Goldfinger, and the same actor, 7 years later and trying to recapture the same magic.

Pretty much what was tried with DAF (although I do love DAF). The biggest difference was between GF and DAF there were three Bond films. So far a half decade since SF was in production, we've only had one more Bond film.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    If it's 2019 with Mendes and Craig and Bond 25 is at the same level critically and commercially as CR and SF it will be worth the wait. Craig will have 3 of the all time great Bond films, more than Brosnan, Dalton, and Moore, and will be counted among the best actors to ever play the role. As it stands now he's very good, one of the best, but will mostly be remembered for being the reboot Bond and little else. He deserves top tier status IMO.

That's a galactic sized "if".

Frankly the outcome of any subsequent Bond film guarantees nothing, especially more so with the SF/SP team. The Craig era has given us 2 year, 4 year and 3 year gaps to mixed results. I want Craig back but he's the least of EoN's and our problems. The series is in dire need of new writers and for EoN to have a firmer stronghold on their duties as producers.